Despite the Simpsns running for almost 20 years now, the show still enjoys popularity, despite its shit quality now...

Despite the Simpsns running for almost 20 years now, the show still enjoys popularity, despite its shit quality now. What I've been wondering is whether or not the show would enjoy its popularity and relevance today without the modern iteration. A lot of people might not know about the Simpsons if it weren't for the new episodes and the show still being promoted. Thoughts?

(OP)

>20 years
It's 30.

Also, what are the demographics that enjoy the show?
I'm roughly the same age as the show, but didn't start watching until I was around 12 or so. By that time, the current episodes had already hit their decline, but I watched and enjoyed the old ones because the reruns aired daily at the time.

Do people who watch the show get hooked because of the new ones?

>Also, what are the demographics that enjoy the show?
This really gets me. I mean I've literally never heard anyone defend the Simpsons past season 20, but it still pulls in pretty good ratings. So who's watching it? Who? Whoever they are, they must not be big on sharing their opinions on television online. And indeed there are many people who don't. It reminds you that even with this world wide web, we all still live in a bubble to some extent.

>So who's watching it? Who?

Kids and teens. What generally happens is they'll watch a bunch of it, get bored, and decide the cut off was whenever they stopped watching. Not saying the show hasn't declined in quality, but that seems to be how it works.

I can't imagine the new stuff being good enough to attract a sizable stable audience. While I don't have anything to prove it, my theory is that Simpsons reruns are more often than not Golden era episodes used as bait to keep public interest in the show.

1990 was 40 years ago

who's watching tv at all in 2018?

who's still even buying tvs as separate devices, but there they are, taking up all that space at the store

>my theory is that Simpsons reruns are more often than not Golden era episodes used as bait to keep public interest in the show
Not in Britain they're not. Time was you could watch on Channel 4, because they only had the rights to show the classic era, but these days even on free channels you've got a greater than 50% chance of an episode being a turd

>who's still even buying tvs as separate devices, but there they are, taking up all that space at the store
Gotta plug your games consoles into something.

TVs can be hooked up as a pc monitor, so they're always gonna be relevant. Least until holo projections come around.

>the show still enjoys popularity
You have people who watch it just out of sheer habit and ire.
We live in the age of putting things on tv while you do other shit it's getting ratings but it doesn't mean anyone is watching or enjoying it.

People that know the Simpsons ar popular but don't know that the newer seasons ar not worth watching. They don't know what made the older episodes better than zombie Simpsons

hey I think your time machine is broken user

QUADS OF TRUTH!! TIME TRAVEL IS REAL!!

checked. user needs to fix his time machine

People will watch anything if it's simpsons

Even if it doesn't make them laugh, the familiar characters and artstyle is comfortable

Why is literally every fucking board full of off-topic shit right now? Do mods even fucking do their jobs anymore or do they just ban people for opinions they don't like now?

The longest running cartoon show of all time is off-topic on Sup Forums?

What the fuck does a cartoon have to do with comics? Did they change this board or something? I haven't been here in forever.

Perhaps you should read the entire name for this board.

Here I’ll help start you off: Comics &

Are you some sort of professional idiot?

Of course not. People enjoy the show because they ALREADY like the characters and can relate to them in some ways. For example, many people that see Bart crying when he assumes he's dumb because he can't pass a test he tried his best for will sympathize with Bart on some level, even if they don't do it consciously.

The show no longer needs to build character, because viewers already know the characters. That's a massive boon.

People like Boco that have congenital deformities.

Mtvs entire demographic is 8-16 year old Mexican girls that's why teen Mom is in season 12
I'm going to guess they make the majority of TV audience at least during the day

We have a thread for Fox's Animation Domination every Sunday and it always seems pretty busy, I'm sure that lots of the anons in those threads are watching the newer episodes

You know I don't even see reruns from the "classic" seasons on tv anymore. I think they're doing it on purpose so the kids don't have anything to compare zombie simpsons to, it would be the end of them otherwise.

You must not be familiar with FXX...they play reruns 5 days a week, from seasons 1 up to current.

not him but

>come home from work
>put on fxx

>it's wednesday
i fucking hate wednesdays, i need my simpsons background noise

I know that feel

at least on Saturday I’m usually busy, so I don’t miss not having them but Wednesday...fucking hell

buy a chromecast (or something like it), cast simpsons world

I got around to sorta watching Sunday's episode, not that I ever watch new episodes. God damn, Marge's voice is going bad, sounding real rough now.

My mid-fifties dad still finds them somewhat enjoyable.

>God damn, Marge's voice is going bad, sounding real rough now

That is such a revelation we all haven't know for years, user.

Got a clip? I've never watched a new Simpsons episode.

Simpsons made a never for itself and people will watch it regardless of quality. It is the same reason people still watch SU and At or play SF and COD games

I've changed my chune on the modern Simpsons lately, the majority of recent and recent-ish episodes I've watched have been fine. The magic isn't the same but it's not terrible stuff. There have been several awful patches where celeb cameo shit and what-have-you have been bad, as well as spots when the animation has been lazy and Family Guy-esque.

Basically, it's like if the Simpsons nearly died, went through some nasty patches but survived its cancer therapy and is now just a little less strong that it was in its youth.

The show's been surviving because of us old timers, desperately hoping to hear a good joke.

Maybe it's in the next episode, maybe it's in the next episode, maybe it's in the next episode, maybe it's in the next episode...

Recommend to me what you think the strongest nu-Simpsons episode from the last few years is. I'll judge for myself.

Definitely not watched enough to qualify that. I also don't know ep names for what it was worth. There was one with Chalmers taking the boys on a hike that was good.