Lawfag here. I'm sick of americans keep saying "we're a republic, not a democracy"

Lawfag here. I'm sick of americans keep saying "we're a republic, not a democracy"

Those are two entirely different things.

Republic means the head of state isn't a monarch. That's all. It could be a dictator or a democratically elected president it doesn't matter if you don't have a king or a queen your country is a republic.

Democracy on the other hand means rule of the people. It means the goverment takes its legitimacy from people's will. A republic or a monarchy can be democratic or undemoratic. For example United Kingdom is a kingdom yet it is totally democratic while Soviet Union was a republic yet it wasn't democratic at all.

Stop mixing two different concepts, hillary winning popular vote and Trump winningg electoral vote is about neither of them. It is just about electoral method. Simple as that. Countries have different election methods in their constitutions/codes and follow them. USA is a democratic republic. Its electoral system is a bit outdated and unfair but that doesn't stop it being democratic.

Here is the definition and etymology from the Oxfords Dictionary 4u

>Its electoral system is a bit outdated and unfair

>roach trying to tell me how my country works

Hahahahahahahaha, fuck off

It is outdated desu

The united states is a corporate oligarchy disguised as a psephocracy.

I'm a lawyer and i know legal systems far better than you kiddo.

Neither of the definitions are mutually exclusive, you retard.

>roach lawyer

Hahaha, jesus christ this is funny. Do insects even have laws?

Immanuel Kant distinguishes republic and democracy in "perpetual peace".

Papadopoulos's definition excludes republician dictatorships.

I'm sure you learned a lot from defending pedophiles in court

You could twinkle it a bit desu
Winner takes all is completely stupid since there is the population too in the equation and not only the state fixed votes
Maybe have something like
>winner takes 20% of the total electors
>rest is split accordingly to the result

>the etymology is outdated

>Papadopoulo

Disregarded. Give me someone who studies actual countries and then we'll talk.

Or even better winner takes state base value (3 votes) and the rest are split

I meant the greek guy retard.

Etymology isn't outdated but its technical usage in modern constitutional theory is the one i posted bro.

>Greek education on voting

No. Electoral voting is the most fair considering that a majority of the country lives in something like ~100 square miles total.

No it's not, retard.

The way the US is structured is one of decentralizing power to the local level.

There's nothing in the constitution about the people electing a president. The people of a state elect their representatives, and the representatives elect their representative(President).

To say our system is outdated makes no goddamn sense. The change people propose doesn't make the system "fair," it simply serves to centralize power on the federal level.

Then worry about why your dogshit country is slowly eroding in to a typical autocratic middle eastern shithole.

Nice ad hominem. I just wanted to be informative.

I guess its the good ol' question weather the president of the Union should represent more the States or the general population

I am guessing you mean a dictatorship where there are some sort of elections between high party members, which is basically an oligarchy
Because I cannot see how a dictatorship where inheritance line is followed can be a "republic"