Want to have a Disney Movie Marathon

>want to have a Disney Movie Marathon
>people I'm watching with want to skip Fantasia

Am I marathoning with the wrong people?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7Nx4ekJ0i_w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, faggots

I have never, in my entire life, been able to make it more than half-way through fantasia. I'm going to side with your friends on this one, find another movie to fill that two hour gap

Flip the table and storm out, they don't deserve Fantasia

Yergay, Fantasia is a pure joy to watch

Especially if booze is involved or pot if you're still into that, it's great to just watch

How?

I watched Fantasia all the way through when I was 3 years old.

Does anyone know if they edited out the black centaur girl in recent dvd/bluray releases?

That other user is probably like 20 and grew up with a cell phone

I think that's been edited out since VHS.

its boring shit

Yeah I'd say so. I stream for people and I managed to get a bunch of them to sit through the Generation X tv movie, Howard the Duck, Barnyard to name a few. What's their problem?

Really? Now I'm questioning if I ever even saw it.

It's possible that it's from a different VHS. Mine is a black case with OP image.

We’ll never get Walt’s true vision for Fantasia and the only other Fantasia property we’ve got is 2000 and a video game, were apparently supposed to get a Night On Bald Mountain movie but it has fucking Matt Sazama as a writer Chernabog needs more love, and we need more Fantasia films

Also The Kingdom hearts level with Chernabog was fucking great

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the art and the music that I can remember but I've just never had the patience to sit through it all. So I can appreciate it just not sit through it. I still have the VHS tape in the garage, maybe one day I'll try again for old time's sake.

Nope, sadly can't use that excuse. I'm 27, far closer to being a crotchety old bastard than tech sneezing teen.

I haven't laid eyes on mine for at least 20 years.
I was just wondering if I'd be getting a butchered, run through a filter version, like Sword in the Stone and others, if I got the dvd/bluray.

No worries, I understand. I feel that way about another movie with similar issues. I can relate.

Wish Fantasia 2000 had more seriousness to it. Just a tad more. I liked the jazz piece one. But when that last piece played, it hit hard. It was amazing to see.

what you mean about Sword in the Stone

It's fairly notorious for being fucking awful.

Another one. I think Cinderella received the same treatment.

Just watch the Sorcerer’s Apprentice part with Mickey and then move on.

Yeah it definitely felt like 2000 was more kid friendly than the original which had shorts like The Rite if Spring and of cours Night on Bald mountain/ Ave Maria which was basically Satan throwing a rave it’s not like the franchise is unprofitable or anything it’s just Disney had a gridlock in it and won’t do anything

i like the Hell part

How do you make an old animated movie even blurrier? That's fucked.

No way, not Cinderella!

people should go to prison for this

Yes.

Fantasia is a fucking masterwork and arguably the greatest animated feature of all time.

If these guys don't want Fantasia because "No story" I hope they know similar-but-worse movies like Fun and Fancy Free and Make Mine Music will be coming up not long after.

The original came out in 1940? It was another time.

DNR, removes the film grain to make it look ‘new’ and HD but in actual fact scrubs out detail.

Cinderella does suffer from DNR but nowhere near as bad as SitS

How hard would it be for Disney to make another Fantasia?

Poor Sunflower, they even managed to erase her from certain shots entirely.

youtu.be/7Nx4ekJ0i_w

It's sad because Sword in the Stone isn't as popular so it gets a shitty blu-ray.

Not hard at all. Given the original, 2000 and the video game all tanked hard, Disney isn’t going to waste money making another.

It’s not like pretending rascism never existed is gonna make anything better they could’ve just redrawn her into less of a caricature

Weird how she was a racist caricature, yet these weren't.

I mean it made its budget back and all but they did spend like 85 million on it and made 90 million on it I’m surprised it was so short

>Red carpet magically unrolls itself in the censored version
Made me laugh

They have unlimited money but now that WDAS has an irreversible "brand image" it'll probably never happen. I got a tour of their studio last summer and while it was extremely impressive the general atmosphere was very planned out and exacting towards their current identity.

This is true. If it were to hsppen, it would have to be driven more by passion than money. Like a fan project, pretty much.

The black centaurs were edited out in 1969, you never saw them in there to begin with.

That would be worse. fuck revisionism

Fantasia is great to watch, especially if you're an art enthusiast. It's horrible to stream and it's a horrible movie for group gatherings. There isn't much to talk about and people use streams to "listen" more than watch, and Fantasia is all about physically watching it. So most of the people tuning into the stream will just be hearing classical music.

It's why LPs are so popular. It's white noise you can selectively tune into.

I mean just straight up erasing a character seems a lot more than just changing her like they did with the maid in those old Tom and sherry cartoons

It's not that weird, those ones just look like African centaurs, the former looked like racist "coon" caricatures of America

What was Walt's true vision? If that isn't a stupid question.

No, you are with precisely the people you deserve if you're watching D*sney garbage.

Fantasia was a colossal bomb, possibly the worst until John Carter.

You need to be in a special somber mindset to fully enjoy it, which you won't be after watching two or three Disney flicks.

>In 1940, Walt Disney released Fantasia, his third animated feature film, consisting of eight animated segments set to pieces of classical music. Initially he planned to have the film on continual release with new segments replacing older ones so audiences would never see the same film twice.
Honestly it would’ve been amazing if Walt could’ve pulled it off

Truly /ourguy/. Too good for this world.

I thought the pegasi were cute.

Do another Disney marathon in a year, make Fantasia the center piece of it, see who shows.

The ones that make it are worthy.

For real, though, for someone unprepared and uninitiated, Fantasia can be a labor to sit through. It even has an intermission.

It's my favorite movie (that isn't a movie, but an animation showcase) but it isn't the kind of thing you can watch casually with beer.

And then Chernabog got chucked in Kingdom Hearts 3D by making his boss battle into a retarded dive segment.

I can watch that but you got to get me on acid

>tfw you watch a beautiful, emotional, compelling animated shorts and then suddenly have to put up with 4-5 minutes of Steve Martin or Penn and Teller yuckin' it up.

This is the only animated Disney movie I have never seen sober.

Looks like something to see in IMAX i think.

I always have loved how Hercules was stylistically heavily influenced by the Pastoral Symphony segment

it is a shame Disney only occasionally does theatrical re-releases for it's films these days

Welcome to Disney movies.

You're supposed to be watching for the animation which is why Fantasia is the patrician choice.

I'll watch any Disney Animated movie re-released in theatre. Even if it's one I'm not fond of, I'll watch it to support the idea of more re-releasing.

>tfw James Earl Jones almost gives a serious and intriguing description to the next short, only to be a setup to a joke that it's about a flamingo with a fucking yoyo.

The movie suck ass and you know it

They didn’t need half those celebrity cameos for 2000 honestly they should’ve just stuck with one like James and gave him play it straight it just get the conductor like they did in the original also the flamingo with yoyo my least favorite skit

The animation on that skit was better than it deserved. The only one I dislike more than that is the Donald one.

Unfortunately WWII closed off the foreign markets which cost the studio a lot. The one positive was that they produced Dumbo to make back some of the lost profit.

When you think about it Walt's idea makes economic sense. Produce one or two new segments every 2-3 years, replace the older or less interesting ones and get people to pay for 20% new movie.

Disney should've just left the character in and run something like this before the movie. Easy peasy.

Jesus this is such a rational and mature way of dealing with the issue I'm honestly unprepared for it

Fucking fight me Knave.

I think Whoopie Goldberg even volunteered to read a statement like that should Disney ever decide to release Song of the South.

Fantasia's individual sequences are (mostly) great, but it is a very, very boring movie

I dunno, at least they come and go in like thirty seconds, not like Deems Taylor talking for 3 minutes between each segment

That would be cool. I could see that working for Song of the South sense the whole movie revolves around slavery. I think Fantasia is fine editing it our sense it was like a couple of minutes.

it's a great movie but I can understand someone not wanting to watch it. it's basically an opera/music piece without a connected story. I'd rather recommend it either for "disney connoisseurs", for someone who wants to watch all disney movies, or someone who likes to watch a piece of art instead of a proper movie

My family still hums A Night on Bald Mountain every once in a while.

It's actually about sharecroppers, but they were hesitant to put in enough Reconstruction visual/narrative cues to make it super obvious (Like in earlier scripts the manor was originally gonna look super beat-up from the war and the dad's business trip to Atlanta is because he's running out of money) because they were afraid of Deep South audiences possibly REEEEing about it.

When I was little I tried to smash the VHS with a hammer and I hid it because I was so scared of it. Maybe your friends are scared.

Fun and Fancy Free is fucking great to be honest.

Fantasia was shit people didn't want to watch in the time it was released, when I was younger I didn't understand why that boring shit was a classic, I thought the animation was new for those people back then but no, they hated it too.

Honestly it's just a "classic" cause Disney wanted to feed the idea that they had a long story of success. If possible they would say they invented animation lol

Hell yeah it is, even that live-action section to bring it all together.

>they invented animation

they didn't?

Still my favorite rendition of Toccata and Fugue. Reminds me of this time they did Fantasia with a live orchestra (even though they replaced 'Right of Spring' and 'Night on Bald Mountain' with 'Destino', 'Clair de Lune' and 'Bumble Boogie'

They've put Destino on the program now?

KEK of course not.

what did they ivent then?

They pretty much brought about realism to animation. Before animation was pretty shallow and was just some dumb thing people watched. Walt wanted to turn animation into a serious medium. Mission accomplished.