I wonder how many aspiring artists have given up on their dreams because of your bullshit...

I wonder how many aspiring artists have given up on their dreams because of your bullshit. Why even create if people will hate it no matter what?

Accept that hate is a universal constant.

You do it for yourself. Having a fan is just a lucky bonus.

If you weather the hate and still come out proud and strong, then you and your work will be better for it.

Because internalizing the fact that not everyone will like your work and learning how to filter constructive criticism from irrational hate are important if you're attempting to market your work on the Internet, a place where anonymity means people will not only be brutally honest with you, but also dickheads.

People don't deserve respect and admiration because they worked their hardest. Most of them just suck and need to be told it. If they crumble from the criticism of some nameless assholes on the internet, then they deserve to fail. If they try and improve based on it, then good for them.

It's no different from aspiring writers, musicians etc. They all need to learn how to build up an armor. To separate useful responses from useless or harmful ones. Without this diamond shell not a single creative man may survive in the age of internet, insta messages and social networks. It's not like it was 20 years ago. If someone don't like your work you'll find that out no matter what. Build a shell.

If they give up their dreams just because criticism and hate made them upset, they were in no way prepared for actually putting their work out there.
If they give up on their dreams instead of taking the criticism and using it as fuel to improve themselves and polish their work, they are terrible artists and weak people.
If they give up on their dreams just because people on the Internet told them those dreams were likely not worth pursuing in the first place.

>improve based on reviews
Madness. One would lost all the personality and turn into another popular tumblr artist with samey art.

>giving up because a few anons talked shit about your art
Anyone who quite that easily deserves to fail.

That's why learning what to keep and what to reject based on criticism is important. Finding out what people don't like about your art is necessary, but if the criticism goes against what you're going for fundamentally, you have to know when to disregard it.

You don't have to be a Dobson about it, but if someone criticizes your comic for being too cartoony when your intention is a cartoon style, it's best to disregard that, whereas if someone says the proportions of your cartoons are all over the place to a distracting level, that might be something to work on.

Because you shouldn't create stuff, if you'll be put off by reactions. You should create because you want to create, and damn everyone who thinks you shouldn't.

If anything the standards here have made me revaluate my skill level and now I can see the mistakes that were always there. Other sites you get pat on the back for anything but here if it sucks people aren't afraid to say it's shit. It's key to getting better. I might not be able to fix all the habits I've picked up from improperly learning anatomy immediately but with a lot of the resources /ic/ and people on Sup Forums provide help out a lot/inspire me to practice more. Every 'it's shit' counts to me at least.

What everyone else already said is true. Artists in general need to insulate themselves against negative criticism that's just shitposting. Constructive criticism can be useful, but it's also often worse for the artist, because they can't just dismiss it as pointless. Being called an asshole hurts less than having their flaws exposed.
Of course the problem is that, more often than not, artists have thinner skin than the average person. Maybe it's the stereotype of the fragile and sensitive artist, or maybe it's because it takes a large ego to put your art out there and ask for money in exchange. Or maybe by showing people your creativity, you undergo the same process as a parent showing their baby pictures. Imagine telling someone "your baby is fucking ugly". It's the same for artists. They love their work (self-criticism/hatred is fake, it's actually a need for validation) and any criticism is a punch in the gut for their ego.
Plus the internet just gave everyone the opportunity to be a critic and expose their opinion everywhere. It's like newspapers, but worldwide. And artists can't avoid it, because the internet is also their "workplace" in a way. So they're constantly exposed to it, and they're told they HAVE to interact with their critics, otherwise they can't build up a fanbase. Social media turned art into a popularity contest, and if you don't play along, you'll never make it.
I honestly pity the poor bastards.

>I wonder how many aspiring artists have given up on their dreams because of your bullshit.
I hope many.
If people are so thin-skinned that they quit doing shit because they went to the mean website and saw people being mean, they shouldn't get to have dreams.

To create art for the sake of other's enjoyment, that is not what an artist should do. An artist should create something because they want too. Let people hate it, let people despise it. If you have no one who likes it, fine, if someone does then great. But you should create because you want too, not because you want approval.

if you're willing to give up on something you love and dream about because of anonymous people on the internet, you don't deserve to achieve your dreams in the first place.

I gave up on animation dreams because I hate working in 3D and didn't want to end up working on crappy television shows.

That's fine. Realizing what you dislike is almost as important as realizing what you do like. Reality is often very different from dreams. Now you can move forward without regret, knowing that you don't enjoy 3D animation or modeling.

OP, let me give you an answer that isn't the usual hivemind bullshit you can expect from this cesspool of a site. If you want your work to gain recognition, but you don't want it to either be given mindless praise by Retards (Reddit, Tumblr and their like), or shat on by cynical, braindead asshats who will never amount to anything whatsoever and wouldn't know proper criticism if it jumped out and fucked them raw in the ass (this site, Spacebattles, Neofag and others), just let those you fully trust or put faith in, such as close friends or family, have a look at it. If it's bad, they'll tell you straight--up, but with any luck, they'll give you the laydown on what the flaws are, and how you can improve upon it and develop your work. If it's actually good, then they'll commend you on it, but they'll also tell you how you can develop it even more to make it truly great and worth praise. This is probably the best thing you can do that odesnt rely on going to the two extremes of internet cancer.

Either that, or you can just not decide to let anyone see it at all. Keep your work, and anything relating to it to yourself, and never let anyone other than you see it. This option is pretty damn extreme, but it's STILL preferable to the other two that you'd experience otherwise.

>Imagine telling someone "your baby is fucking ugly
>You have done nothing special and are proud of something you put little effort into
Sounds about right

That's exactly why you should. Do what you want and don't take everything personally.

If you can't handle the hate of a bunch of unknown people on a comic board maybe you don't have the backbone to become an artist.
Negative feedback is always a constant in this line of work, get over it and get better or go back to square zero.

>just let those you fully trust or put faith in, such as close friends or family
Those are the most likely to lie or let you know they just don't give a fuck. You want professional criticism from another creator or at least someone who is or knows your audience.

>let those you fully trust or put faith in, such as close friends or family, have a look at it

Fuck no. People you're close to will sugarcoat or embellish what they think not because of your feelings, but because they don't want to be seen as the jerk who said your work was no good.

Because the world doesn't owe you a single thing, you're making a product, it's your responsibility to make it good, not the responsibility of others to like it

The criticism of others is only important if you're creating to impress. In this case, criticism is vital, since that is what you're seeking and creating for.

Let the constructive criticism guide you and help you mold your work.

Let the unjustified hate fuel your passions, and take great pride in their jealousy. If they cannot provide ample constructive reason for their hate, then the answer is always envy, instead of just hate.

If you're merely creating something out of passion and NOT to impress, then why even care for their criticism? It wasn't made for them, but for you.

>just let those you fully trust or put faith in, such as close friends or family, have a look at it.
What ?
That is the worst thing you could possibly do if you want anyone to actually review your shit and point out the stuff you need to work, especially if your family or friends know jack about criticism and don't care about learning.
There are far too many personal feelings involved. This isn't to say their opinion is worthless but holy fuck user what are you talking about.

>you can just not decide to let anyone see it at all. Keep your work, and anything relating to it to yourself, and never let anyone other than you see it
If I were to guess you tried posting your own creative work here, it didn't work out the way you intended to and now you are traumatized about having your work reviewed by strangers (which is what every single working artist on the planet does).
You have no business giving anyone advice on anything regarding art you thin-skinned coward.

keep working hard, stay positive, believe in yourself and maybe some day someone will masturbate to shadman art of one of your characters.

>If I were to guess you tried posting your own creative work here, it didn't work out the way you intended to and now you are traumatized about having your work reviewed by strangers (which is what every single working artist on the planet does).
>You have no business giving anyone advice on anything regarding art you thin-skinned coward.
Mmkay'. So tell me user, have (You) made anything worth noting on here? Because I certainly haven't, primarily because I never post any of my stuff on here. Mostly because of posts like yours, and the fact that none of you people have the capacity to provide actual constructive criticism on work whatsoever.

>Creating for praise from strangers
>Not creating because you have something to say
If that's your outlook why not just get into dogshows or some shit?

Not him, but I agree.
Sup Forums is usually pretty bad in terms of constructive criticism, it's typically just empty compliments or neglect.
/ic/ is better though you could regularly end up getting neglected too but when they do respond there's usually atleast an attempt at being constructive.

>the answer is always envy
You're an egomaniac.

>/ic/
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>learn the fundamentals and make it again
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does it again*
>Its shit make it again
>but why whats wrong?
>*does nothing*
>fuck this shit

Well that's not my experience.

Did you even read what i wrote? Hate without reason is always envy. You can still hate something for your own various reasons or preferences.

However, if someone starts throwing tomatoes without a purpose, it's always envy.

If I've learned anything from Sup Forums is that everyone will hate what you do no matter what. So I better do something I love to do.

If they gave up that easy they were probably to weak willed to overcome any obstacles, so something else would have done them in just the same.

Your mom is envy. There is no worse enemy of an artist than the artist's ego.

>it's a drawfag had his fragile ego bruised by some user so he makes a whole thread about how much of a drama queen he can be episode

Eh, I know a lot of artists who's greatest joy is the reaction and joy that other people get out of it. Don't think you know what you're talking about.

this to the MAX

if you dont have thick skin you have no place being an artist. it is not an easy job for easy people.

only a complete fucking moron would give a shit what Sup Forums thinks anyway

Clearly you didn't learn the fundamentals if that is the criticism you get over and over.

Stop making the same mistakes again and again and your criticism might change.

This reminds me of when Herny spazzed out and left Sup Forums "forever"

I agree with you fellow user, but you're still being a little unreasonable.

Not all criticism is holier than thou, some really IS derived solely from envy, i've done it myself a couple of times.

God, you know I'm really pathetic.

I'm an artist and I get super jealous of people I consider better. I've befriended a number of artists who are more skilled than me and once I learn how to push their buttons, I'll usually user hate them with asks if they have a tumblr with things that upset them the most.

On other sights I have suck puppets I've used to pull them down with whatever upsets them. I'm really messed up, but I enjoy seeing them suffer because they are better than me.

But the people here have given me nothing but praise and advice, what do you mean?

And these posts just go to show why no drawfag worth their fucking salt would want to stick around on Sup Forums for any length of time. Literal masochism in it's purest form.

No but seriously, Off Yourselves.

>have you made anything worth noting on here?
I don't get what you mean with this question (you don't seem very familiar with how this board works) but I assume it's whether I have accomplished something by posting my work here.
In this case I say, because posting my ideas on "pitch your own cartoon" or "rewrite this character" or such threads have opened me up to criticism and made me change, rewrite and polish several of my ideas. Sup Forums is a garbage board most of the time but I lurk because of the rare good threads. I don't wet my pants when I think of the mean Sup Forums boogeyman that's gonna explain to me me my art is shit (I don't even spend most of my time in here, I'm from /p/)

Are those Deviantart images you are posting your own personal work ? Am I supposed to take something from them ?
Are you going to try and use the "if you don't like it why don't you do better" argument ?
You might as well stop now and take your own advice and keep the things you post to yourself and family only so no one will ever hurt your feelings and tell you to improve.

your skull spider thing is fucking ugly

>Are those Deviantart images you are posting your own personal work ? Am I supposed to take something from them ?
I fucking wish. Sylizar (and others) may give me inspiration to try my hand at developing my own work, but I doubt I could ever reach his level of design. Also, nice Tumblr rant, friendo. You seem rather mad about someone not being a cynical asshat who picks apart literally everything, like yourself.

>You seem rather mad about someone not being a cynical asshat who picks apart literally everything
I don't know of a single artist worth mentioning who isn't. It's the core of The Process.

Ehh, this sylizar guy isn't exactly very good, his work looks amateurish and under detailed.

This guy is right, artists are incredibly cynical and pick everything apart, it's how you improve.

more specifically that kaiju monster thing is also overly busy with not enough detail to adequately differentiate it's part.

Let me see what you're capable of actually making yourself, I'm a drawfag with some experience, so if you've got something to show do so, I can give good advice.

>I doubt I could ever reach his level of design
You mean those messy, overbloated, cartoonishly edgy notebook doodles ? Is that what you consider "unreachable talent" ?
Deviantart actually has many great monster designers and professionals that don't just draw overly busy blood and spikes and tentacles on a kaiju and call it an "Ancient One". You might want to look those up.
But I'll buy that you are not him if only because you don't seem like someone who could even do that.

>You seem rather mad about someone not being a cynical asshat who picks apart literally everything
I'm not the one who crash landed the thread just to rant about how mean and cynical the people on Sup Forums are for giving art criticism and hurting people's feelings and telling people to never show their work to anyone other than close friends or family, and then told anons to kill themselves for basic statements.
Your asshurt has been palpable from the moment you reached the thread. Don't project more of your insecurities on others.

Almost all of Sylizar's work is hilariously overdetailed, to the point where it's almost impossible to tell what parts supposed to be which. It mostly apples to his truly "eldritch" shit though. His 'normal' stuff is easier on the colors and messy design style.

>It mostly apples to his truly "eldritch" shit though
Because when he's not trying to draw eldritch monsters he is doodling humans like pic related, with designs and clothing that are still far too busy and unfocused but look less so because they aren't towering piles of 90s gore and monster limbs, but are just as bad.

Detail conveys something, like texture, the drawings you're posting just appear to be covered in scribble.

Yeesh, that definitely needs work.

The only one there that looks even half-passable is the monk in the center.
The blue guy on the right looks like someone vomited all over him and that dragon in the center of his robe looks so abysmal it could be a meme.
The yellow thunder guy with the Wario mustache could look decent but his robe looks like crumpled tinfoil, his arms are way too short, his beard looks like it's simultaneously inside and outside his robe, and it's impossible to tell what the hell is that hing in his belt supposed to be.
And I'm not even gonna touch on the two women.

The artists of tommorrow are RIGHT HERE.
Ands the next generation will hate us.

I only accept criticism from other artists who I respect. Every other opinion is worthless.

Seriously dude, I hate to break it to you but literally none of these are good.
All the monsters are too poorly drawn to be scary, intimidating, or unsettling, they aren't eve particularly cool designs in concept.
When I say they aren't detailed enough I mean scribbles and unneeded lines don't convey any information to the viewer resulting in the creatures looking plain with scribbles covering their bodies, they're just too basic with too little detail.
Meanwhile the humans display his real skill level, abstract monsters aren't a good way to judge do to not having a point of reference, this guy has no skill whatsoever as it stands.
If you doubt you'll ever even rival this guy give up now.

Eh, he's pretty low o the list of artists I wish to emulate (I just remembered him from this thread and that one Fear Mythos thread, actually). I'm more trying for stuff like pic related.

Why the fudge wouldn't you start with that?!
This guy knows what he's doing, that you should aspire to, anyone with average skill can out do the other guy.

Now show me what you can do.

Are you still going to cry about how mean the people here are or are you willing to listen now ?

>Why the fudge wouldn't you start with that?!
And get people sperging out about how Mina is a "terrible/bad/fucking horrid artist" (and they would, it's in their very natures at this point)? Nah.

Finally enough, this thread inspired me to make something. I might choose to post it lter (or not, going out later anyways).

But he isn't bad though, he's clearly competent.

>I don't want the mean and scary Sup Forums people to insult the skills of a decent artist I admire and criticize me
>so instead I'm going to post a far worse artist and say that's the one I'm aspiring to be like
Makes sense to me

>He
Mina's a girl, m8.

>(and they would, it's in their very natures at this point)
And no one said absolutely anything of the sort about the artist.
You aren't just a thin-skinned coward, you are an arrogant one as well.
I hope you at least strive to be more like that artist so you can at least back up your talk.

>Thinking Sup Forums has an influence on fucking anything
>People allowing some gay imageboard to decide their worth
>Looking down on negative criticism because it hurts feelings

>ITT: OP got shit on for his art at some point this week and is now throwing a hissy fit
I guess this is a monthly thing now.

Why would I know or care?

These two get it.

Wait, did he actually do that?

Yeah. Right when he stopped visiting Sup Forums he kinda sperged about Sup Forums not "appreciating him" and then deleted it off his tumblr.

Anyone got caps?

>taking criticism on Sup Forums so personally, that you give up on your dreams

good. maybe that'll weed out the oversensitive pansies.

The problem is that how can I know what mistakes I am making?

>Finding out what people don't like about your art is necessary, but if the criticism goes against what you're going for fundamentally, you have to know when to disregard it.
100% correct

authors must have had it easy back then, when all of their feedback came from fan-letters filtered by publishers

Differentiate your criticism like a fucking adult and make those decisions for yourself.