Why is Angel such a shitty character? Sup Forums

Why is Angel such a shitty character? Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mp6aKCE3jSc
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ur9Ps5lqmc&t=6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's a pretty generic rich kid whose super powers don't lend themselves to a frontline role. He's been interesting in the past, but generally he's just disposable background furniture.

He's a O5 character that hasn't aged well is constantly brought back because of his seniority. Most only gave a shit about him once he went Archangel, and even that isn't all that compelling. But that's just my personal opinion, and I'm sure an Angel-fag is going to start typing his response to this post about how wrong I am

His haircut is gay

I genuinely laughed at how Angel's sole contribution to the fight in X-3 was swooping in and saving his dad from falling.

There's a guy in CBR that autistically stans Angel and hates Hawkman.

cause his power is wings

I know I'm going to get shit for this from Hawkman fans, but can we just please make Carter's wings bulletproof?
youtube.com/watch?v=Mp6aKCE3jSc

Not trying to give you shit, but why bother? Hawkman isn't bulletproof but all getting shot ever does is make him madder.

Angel sucks, but Archangel is cool.

That Archangel design is so fucking baffling.

I wonder if Singer molested him

It was the directors decision

Most likely.

Cause his power is flight, the soy sauce of superpowers.

Because membranous wings are better.

Which is a shame because his story along with Kelsey Grammar are the only good things about that movie.

His power does not really lend him to any role. At least Hawkman is some weapon wielding badass, Angel is just not useful for anything. He's a flying normal guy that will just die if he gets too close to anyone the X-Men tangle with each week.

I suppose he stood out less in the very early days when most mutants except for a small few were fairly low powered. Next to "Can barely make anything above 10lbs float" Jean and "He is fairly agile" Beast, he is about the same.

80's-90's metal winged Archangel powered him up to current levels. But no writer can really come up with anything else that works. Glowing energy wings are weird, healing blood is not that great, fire wings seem like something totally different from his main thing.

He was made in the 60's when flying was considered an interesting power.

Because he's the lame 'guy with wings' kind of angel, and not the cool kind.

>is constantly brought back because of his seniority.
You know...I really hate how that keeps happening in comics. Characters who are unique and interesting get forgotten by the sands of time, yet we have to keep going back to see the origins team. It's so annoying that every Avengers arc pulls that shit.

>Why is Angel such a shitty character?
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ur9Ps5lqmc&t=6s

You would think Angel would get the Phoenix Force

yeah

>Angel
>based on those birdmen
>Not the multi winged, multi-eyed, multi-headed being from beyond the mortal realm that bring fear into the hearts of man so much it will kill them if they were not warned of the angel's presence

Damn straight.

What if he just had the insanely fast healing like every other animal powered mutant? Then his getting mangled and wings torn off would not be a genuine threat to him when he tries to get physical with mutants that toss cars around.

Serious question. If they decided to do the O5 for the MCU, and they replaced Angel with Storm...would anyone mind?

keep the Archangel upgrade plus make him into a techno organic cyborg like Blue Beetle

Who would you replace Bobby with?

...Wolverine?

The O5 suck ass. Throw in Rogue and Gambit, they were hardly used over at FOX

Just retcon him to a early Archangel cyborg
so he can be the Cyborg of the team

Iceman should be the one replaced by Storm as the elemental "Starfire" of the team Storm can do more than Ice

When I was younger I wrote him off. "Oh, he's just some fag with wings." The older I got the more appreciation I began to have for winged characters. You can never under estimate the utility of flight--especially when it comes to striking down the bad guys, right? It's a trip. I dig mainline/frontline characters like Falcon fro Marvel and the Hawkfamily from DC but you show me Angel and I just can't begin to care.

>B-but he's pretty!
In a fictional world where 2/3rds of it's occupants, sometimes regardless of age, are at the apex of physical appearance with chiseled jawbones and perfect tits it's really difficult to show me Angel and make me care about this aspect of him. Throwing him at waifus only generates apathy from me.

>His family is really wealthy!
Feels like a staple these days for comic book characters.

>H-he was a herald--I mean a horseman of Apocalypse!
Yeah and I didn't care about him either. You can have Logan and Fantomex and the rest of the X-Force selling the offense Angel can provide but beyond firing feather bullets at people and being edgy. The whole "Angel is sooooo integral" thing? I just cannot buy it.

Perhaps a second or third mutation that makes him punch people in the fucking face will give him fans.

I like to think of the new members they picked up for giant sized as a good "Original team"

Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, with Cyclops works well enough. Maybe add Jean and Bobby to have a decently sized team.

He could be the one that was caught and experimented on before Wolverine shows up.

If I had a say I'd make Archangel a monster of sorts.
>3 pairs of flexible metallic wings
>3 feather blades on his arms that he can control the shape of, cover them in cosmic energy (Sword made of metal fire and all that), or he can fire them off at bullet speeds
>Telepathic communication and a small amount of telekinesis
>Regeneration, durability, and strength are on par with wolverine due to Apocalypse's tech

He should just go to law school already

To add to that another thing that's annoying is where new characters "grandfathered" in.

>N-no this character was displaced by time! S/he is totally a [team/league] original! Please care about this person because of this single arbitrary fact!

Comicbooks are like wrestling, user. The old dinosaurs that used to put asses in seats will constantly get preferential treatment over the new blood. Sometimes new characters really need a leg up and what better way to do that than to make an older, established character give them the seal of approval by an impromptu, ungodly team up that stretches the imagination or you make them job to the new hero thus ensuring that the new character gets killed/thrown into limbo for disgracing the status of the older character. You can guess which approach is more popular.

originally he was one of the fastest characters, only quicksilver was faster. Now so many characters have so many powers. Energy blasts, psychics it is a little much.

I think Archangel works. The metal wings really fits with other x-men, colossus, wolverine, cable. The strange metal-skin or cyborg aspect is certainly very ingrained in x-men I think they should stick with that. Force Warren to embrace a life as a freak like Hank had to.

>Next to "Can barely make anything above 10lbs float" Jean and "He is fairly agile" Beast, he is about the same.

Can't forget that if Wolverine runs into an electric fence he'll die. Just straight up die. Also if he fell 30t he'd hit terminal velocity and die. Not enough regeneration or magic metal bones to save him. God. Remember when Spider-Man defeated the X-Men singlehandedly, without much effort and while complaining the entire time? Sure, Mystique has done similar but still.

the 05 should be Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Rogue and Banshee

The less people running around with The Force the better. I mean hell Quentin Quire is a fucking potential host.

>The old dinosaurs that used to put asses in seats will constantly get preferential treatment over the new blood.
But the O5 never sold that well! It wasn't until Claremont took over the X-Men that they became the megahit!

Out of context, I thought this was about Star Wars for a moment.

I thought Angel was amusing in Wolverine and the X-Men when he thought he was an actual angel. Other than that, I've never cared about the character.

They should do Giant Size but drop Banshee and replace Sunfire with Surge

>when picking up Nightcrawler there's hints about magneto in the background
>colossus has his illyana scene
>storm's scene has shadow king hints
>wolverine's scene has hints about weapon x and sentinels
>thunderbird only goes to prove his valor while his younger brother tells him to ignore whitey
>sunfire straight up refuses, surge sneaks aboard the plane while xavier smugly smiles

Yeah but a bunch of butthurt fans turned pros couldn't stand it. So they ruined a comic they weren't working on

Fuck, how did ANYONE think Cyclops leaving his wife and new born for his old girlfriend was anything but character assassination?

Being an X-Man ruined him! Before he was forced to join he was New York's nice guy Batman. He would go out at night saving people and shooting petty criminals with tranquilizer darts. Now he just gets murdered, mutated, and have his fortune depleted all in Xavier's name.

>butthurt fans turned pros couldn't stand it
Fucking. This. This is why Kitty and and number of old characters are so, so terrible now.

His power is that hes got wings. Like shit, at least beast is smart as well.

Angels are terrible characters to begin with.

Bitch what

>Tilda will never dominate you

you seen The Beach?
I want her to boss me around an island.
Then take me to a different island.
[Spoiler]And use me to cuck her husband.

Hawkman's wings aren't even organic, they're technology, even with Carter.

The only time he had organic wings was during the Hawkgod phase.

They need to write more minutia into his character. I want to see how the wings affect his daily life and his relationships. He could get them cut off if he wanted. Why doesn't he?

His flight can't be caused by the wings unless he was hollow bones like birds. Is he fragile? I bet not. No one takes these mutants to their logical extremes unless the mutation is obviously detrimental.

He shouldve been the one turned gay, not Iceman

Right, so why cant they be used to deflect attacks? I don't think its a lot to ask for

I always hated Archangel because I felt he was too angsty.
I only ever liked him as a villain in UXF since he was an almost emotionless sociopath there.

Before Archangel: his life his perfect AND he has fucking angel wings which, despite seemingly being about 9 ft in length, he can apparently fold up enough to hide inside an Armani suit. "Poor little rich kid" isn't interesting.
During/after Archangel: usually angsty that he has bitchin' metal wings and blue skin.
Sometimes though, like at points in X-Force and during, say, X-cutioner's Song, he'll become grim, cold, determined.
Single-minded and cruel with a chilling precision.
Then? Then he's interesting, 'cause then you see the "horseman of death" idea, strength of will and personal conviction.
Honestly, Warren should be a free agent the X-men aren't sure they can trust.

Have Angel hulk out into this and shoot holy or unholy rays and his voice induce glee or madness in others.

Threesome with her and Gillan Anderson both dressed as Bowie

>His flight can't be caused by the wings unless he was hollow bones like birds.
It's been stated on multiple occasions that he does.

Is this a parody of Beastfags?

his superpower is "wings" in a world where flight is more often a side-effect of some other better power (ice man's ice ramps, jean's telekinetic flying, rogue's flight from stealing carol's power, magneto's flight from metal control, storm's flight from weather control, etc).

he might be a better character if they play up the religious imagery more, but i guess they don't want to offend christians.

he isn't shit, or at least he isn't as shit as scott and jean.

he absolutely WAS compelling in uncanny x-force, you psychotic hack

>no writer can come up with anything else that works

rick remender. uncanny x-force

you can't have a parody of something that is also ruined by bendis. it's just bendis being shit at another point in the narrative

well he and psylocke were an item so it must not be stopping him from the important and practical things

>emotionless sociopath
i wouldn't go as far to say sociopath, but yeah.

without the social darwinism bullshit either

apparently he also has regenerative blood

his ancestry and nightcrawler's ancestry lead to two distinct groups that are anathema to each other

in Mutant X, he DID have membranous wings

Angel and Transonic team up. there are many mutants that are flyers but i can't think of any faster than those two

you mean this guy?

Northstar and Aurora are much faster

>his ancestry and nightcrawler's ancestry lead to two distinct groups that are anathema to each other
Are you sure that's not just Earth X?

Chuck Austen.

I had to google, and apparently no one cared for his Draco story, or a lot of his Uncanny Avengers. It does seem like he tried to do what DC has been doing with Kingdom Come and making it's way into the prime uni, but ultimately failed.

And that Xorn shit, wtf?

>If they decided to do the O5 for the MCU, and they replaced Angel with Storm...would anyone mind?
You realize the first X-men movie basically did this, right?

Like it implies Cyclops, Jean and Storm were Xavier's first class.