Castlevania

>gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/01/19/castelvania-returning-to-netflix-this-summer-with-eight-new-episodes.aspx

Netflix's Castlevania is coming back this summer with eight more episodes. Will Dracula smile?

Dracula unironically did nothing wrong.

>Just 8 episodes
FUCK

>Killing everyone in a region for something some fucks in one city did

Agreed, it's like punishing all 50 states for the crimes of California.

Worth it desu

Except the part where he was killing every man, woman, and child across a giant area who literally had nothing to do with what happened to his wife.

He did this right after a giant trip around the world where he got to know these people. He's a total twat.

No grant

I rant

He gave them a warning and plenty of time to leave the country. It's their fault for not getting the hell out of dodge and letting the responsible parties get their comeuppance.

So, God exists and is canon. His power far outstrips Drac's. Why does He let the slaughter go down? There is something to be said about culling his flock since some had lost their way, but a lot of folks got killed as Trevor saved the day.

Because God gave us free will and if he intervenes in every little thing then what is the point of having that free will.

That's... actually a pretty good answer

But what if in an act of free will we ask God to intervene in this particular thing? Then he's just ignoring us. Just like the girls do.

People have free will and have the power to impose their will on the world, god's will is enacted by mortal man through more subtle means.
You could say that ol Trev is gods agent while maintaining his free will. Its why Jesus was both god and man, moses and all the other saints and fuckers inacted the will of the lord instead of big Yawhe coming down and doing it himself.

>asking an onipotent omnipresent and omnieptent being for favours

may as well ask why you dont listen to the cries of the microscpic bugs that get crushed underneath your foot as you walk.

Yawhe is on a level so far above you that his actions are undisernable, we can only interprate his will and act accordingly, by inacting the will of god things will be good its that fuckers misuse their free will to be nihilistic faggots and ruin it for everbody else

Posting best Vlad.

No one likes Grant.

He showed signs that he was turning around for the sake of Lisa, but he still has the whole Lord of Evil thing going on what with his demonic pacts and unholy magicks going on in his castle, and who knows how long he would stay good if Lisa passed away from natural causes?

Fuck the Church, still, for doing that to Lisa, but the guy literally has evil running through his blood.

If it's any consolation, blessings by God actually work and kill demons pretty reliably, and it was a fairly small portion of the world that got fucked pretty badly so it wasn't entirely pressing to get directly involved.

Aside from the Battle of 1999 where the world was fully aware and directly intervened to stop Dracula, the span of Dracula's bullshit has been relatively contained.

So did this turn out any good?

It was one of the best adaptations of a game ever made.

That's such a low bar that it can be interpreted as "not absolute shit that makes you feel like less of a person for having watched it."

Well, it helps if you're a fan of the games. But it was very accurate to the mythos, was well produced, had good acting, some humor...really all it was missing is variety in the monsters and a few of the game tunes.

Different flood, same results.

He has killed way too many people, he is a dick but yes, they forced his hand.

Better than I thought it would be but it was only 4 episodes so it's not long. I mean, it's not amazing, but I enjoyed it.

Nah.

Actually yeah it was pretty great. Nice dialogue, good visuals, decent story...what more is needed?

Better than 4

Not really. The protagonist spends most of it in this lame little town instead of on the grounds of Dracula's castle or even in the castle itself. It's very Lords of Shadow in how unfocused and plodding it is.

>Will Dracula smile?

I think the better question is "Will the Succubus show up and get plowed by Alucard?"

I can see it, considering technically man caused Dracula to let loose on them.

This was originally a DTV movie trilogy. Seems splitting it up screwed with the pacing a bit.

Just because it doesn't take place in the area you want it to doesn't mean it's unfocused. It had a very clear direction on where it wanted to go and what it wanted to do- specifically that it was to set up the world the series was in and how the 'team' got together to tackle Dracula.

So just like the source material. I swear if we get this complaint when and if we get to Simon's quest.

speaking of,
i watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust recently
it's really good, you should watch it.

This has to do well. It's our only chance at 1999.

>Adapting Castlevania III.
>Better have Grant

I ain't playin, nig.

Difference is that this being is supposed to be a parental figure, not a disinterested titan with no care towards our well being. And for the record I listen to their cries every time I get sick.

He sacrificed his best friend Leo's lover for demonic power and killed thousands of people because his wife took ill.

It's the ultimate middle finger to Dracula.

Dracula: Fight me, faggot!
God: Pfffft. Try fighting these Belmonts first.
Dracula: Fine. But afterwards I'm coming for...ow...that-that hurt. Oh lord. They're kicking my ass! How are they kicking my ass?! This is some kind of rock-paper-scissors situation, I swear! Humans are truly the real monsters. Sure, I used to be one. But fuck you all!

Though he becomes less of a faggot once he's reincarnated as an albino demon slayer

If some assclown you knew hardly anything about told you to get the fuck out of town and what basically amounts to the government said "he's ot a threat",n would you leave?

you say that but I try to be nice to insects and arachnids as long as they don't get in my way
who knows how many spiders are in my house, and I don't go around genociding them
that's partly because they eat bugs but mostly because they're just doing what they do and they pose no threat to me
I'll clean up their webs, and most often they're not in the web at the time, but I don't hurt them unless they get on me or get too close to me
I don't usually swat flies unless they get in my face or get on my food or make noise

it was OK
I felt like it was beating me over the head with ideas a few times
>Dracula is really mad his wife is dead
>Dracula is really smart
>Trevor is a cynical bastard who doesn't give a shit
>Syfa is really open and caring but also a >badass
>the church is corrupt
OK I get it Castlevania, you have a nice setup here, now do something with it
I know it was only four episodes but they could've done more with them
Alucard didn't even show up until like the last half of the last episode, Grant didn't show up at all, IDK if he even will
I liked the introduction of Syfa though
I liked that Trevor was the kind of guy that doesn't give until it hurts and doesn't like his family's legacy and is basically just tired, but he still can't stop himself from helping people when they really need it
I liked that Dracula had a motivation but it's almost childishly simple, especially with how they try to connect it to modern times (talking about science) when IIRC the Enlightenment and the Renaissance wouldn't start for a long while yet and even some of the more objective and ostensibly proven facts of the day were pretty garbage by today's standards
then again, they'll probably introduce Frankenstein and his monster at some point, which implies tech higher than what we have even today

He ignored his dying wife's request to not murder them.

>I liked that Dracula had a motivation but it's almost childishly simple, especially with how they try to connect it to modern times (talking about science) when IIRC the Enlightenment and the Renaissance wouldn't start for a long while yet and even some of the more objective and ostensibly proven facts of the day were pretty garbage by today's standards
>then again, they'll probably introduce Frankenstein and his monster at some point, which implies tech higher than what we have even today

Par for the course in CV. Frankenstein's monster exists a few centuries before Mary Shelley was even born.

>not killing everyone in a region after fucking you over
this line of thinking is what separates a man from a miserable pile of secrets.

But Dracula is a devout christian.

What do the belt chain mail triangles protect against?

OR we could just bomb all of California and say North Korea did it. Nothing of value would be lost and no one would question it.

its the best thing to happen to Castlevania in probably over a decade

Don't know about Dracula, but I'll smile as long as Trevor and Sypha get married and fuck like they canonically do in the game. Ellis being the hack that he is better not fuck up something so important.

Grant was Easy Mode, user. You weren;t supposed to play as Grant unless you were a child or a faggot.

nothing, that outfit seems purely ceremonial

there's a bunch of it hanging down under that patterned cloth, maybe that's how it's being held in place, it's sort of tucked in over top? and it's got those larger rings between each section

maybe in CV3J, in the US version he was hard mode because did the second worst damage and had the worst range
still better than Alucard though, holy shit

Only in the japanese version.

>becomes a vampire to spite god after his wife died of illness

If that assclown did it in a massive display of unholy magic power I think I would consider him to be fairly credible.

>a giant fucking face made of fire appears out of nowhere and starts shouting that it's going to kill everyone in the city
If you don't leave after that you're a retard

Ya know its funny. Episode one has him call Lisa "the only woman I ever loved".

Maybe they're ignoring Lament.

Looks like ceremonial bullshit, Leon was a knight during the crusades before he fucked off from that when his wife was kidnapped, he had all his lands and titles stripped away and was put on the churches shit list after that

Literal fedora tipper.

If it's ceremonial why does he wear it to go fight bloodthirsty monsters?

My girlfriend said that if someone burns her i should kill him immediately, not with a one year warning. Dracula is really a true gentleman.

>I liked that Dracula had a motivation but it's almost childishly simple, especially with how they try to connect it to modern times (talking about science) when IIRC the Enlightenment and the Renaissance wouldn't start for a long while yet and even some of the more objective and ostensibly proven facts of the day were pretty garbage by today's standards
then again, they'll probably introduce Frankenstein and his monster at some point, which implies tech higher than what we have even today

Dracula's castle is full of anachronisms due to the fact that it's full of demon magic and Dracula's own super science, which is usually tied to demon magic. It exists in a weird pattern between space and time and can shift its outward appearance and interiors simply because it can, this means that it can pull shit like skeletons on motorcycles or skeletons with semiautomatic rifles.

all 50 states are already being punished for the existence of California. lets not go attaching further crimes to the suffering.

technically at this point in the story he'd be considered a demoniac.

he's still capable of receiving salvation, but it's going to take some serious redemption for him to avoid hell.

and yes, despite everything Dracula has done the Lord God Almighty's grace is truly never ending.

He didn't hear his wife's dying request not to murder them, because he adhered to her request to travel as a mortal and not use his powers to get around or check up on her.

He doesn't, this is what he wears in Lament of Innocence

My free will is to not get raped by demons.

So is the free will of the demons to rape me more important than my free will to not get the demon dick?

God helps those who help themselves user

Does that mean god will help the demons if they help themselves to my butthole?

No but he will help you by giving you a holy damage buff if you hit them with a cross

I get the feeling when there's 3 of them that if I try that I'm going to get a renovated asshole.

Just remember user, when you are walking along the shore looking back at your life and you only see one set of foot prints while your asshole is being remodeled that means Jesus was carrying you

I wonder if we'll see the battle of 1999 in some shape or form someday. Could be a game, a cartoon, a manga, a novel, it's just a waste to have the conflict that killed Dracula for good to stay as vague background information.

damn he's fine

It's a really easy answer to the Epicurean question. I would further it by saying that non-human evils (natural disasters excluding whatever's caused by climate change) are only considered bad because of death, which is the result of the Fall of Man.

Celestial beings have perfect wills (except for Jesus as Jesus is in hypostatic union). They don't have human free will.

Ellis is a lazy fuck.

He cucked Snake Eyes in Resolution so I can see him messing this up.

>keeps getting shoved back by shitty Apoc Vlad
>probably not even going to be in Last Encore
I hate this world

[insert free will meme]

Free will is a convenient, and useful illusion. In reality there is no free will and our choice to believe in it is pre ordained (in a manner of speaking )

Chew on that for a while. It will give you cavaties.

So....perfect character for Ellis to write?

>But it was very accurate to the mythos

Counterpoint: There is not one detail in this show that comes without a completelly inaccurate attachment to invalidate it, story-wise.

It's "accurate" until you know what the games' storyline is. "Castlevania has no plot" has been memed so damn much that people just accept whatever the script says, as long as it includes the name of a Belmont, a magic whip, Alucard and Dracula. All the rest be damned.

>But it was very accurate to the mythos

Counterpoint: There is not one detail in this show that comes without a completelly inaccurate attachment to invalidate it, story-wise.

It's "accurate" until you know what the games' storyline is. "Castlevania has no plot" has been memed so damn much that people just accept whatever the script says, as long as it includes the name of a Belmont, a magic whip, Alucard and Dracula. All the rest be damned.

Examples:

>YAY Sypha is an elemental witch!
>Ooops she wasn't raised by the Church anymore, thus perfect excuse to make the Church hate witches unlike the source material!

>YAY Sypha left to solve the Dracula problem!
>Oooops her entire character now revolves around locating some dude who just happens to be THE biggest fanservice in this series, unlike the source material where she set out to deal with Dracula herself.

>YAY Trevor is a seasoned vampire hunter!
>Oooops he gets owned by drunkards and, different from the source material, does not defeat Alucard, ending instead on a stalemate (because we can't have the maximum fanservice boy be defeated now by the actual protagonist, can we?). Also, did we mention that the iconic scar Dracula left on Trevor's face during their battle is now on his face before Trevor even meets him?

>YAY Lisa now will have some character building!
>Ooops it just happens she has the same amount of screentime as in the games: 5 minutes. We could've given her more, but where will we put our genius goat-fucking jokes that people have been saying is shit for years now?

Oh well, at least this last one is 100% accurate. Also, I want to add that the show isn't even bad. It's a nice show! But contains little to no accuracy, and is riddled with Ellis' silly tropes.

We'd stand to gain more by bombing every state in the bible belt first.

Actually this was written on the English manual for SotN. So, of course, they quoted it.

Thing is that manual specifies "The only woman COUNT DRACULA ever loved", the implication being that "Mathias", the name embodying his humanity, is someone that doesn't exist anymore (and the end of Lament, with Mathias literally coming out of an egg as an analogy for rebirth, is a good indication of that).

correction. the crimes of a small part of California. don't lump us all into the shit pile that is LA and San Fransisco.

In every practical sense free will exists; everyone lives their lives as if it does. Even Sam Harris conceded that it would be better for a mother to raise her child under that mindset because the nihilistic tendency of materialism would be too malevolent on a developing child.

The argument against free will is usually either materialist or predeterministic. Materialism argues for the nonexistence of the supernatural, which is an assertion that projects the materialist's view as much as the counter view of the mystic. The predeterministic view reduces absolves humans from any agency, essentially making God's concern for humanity no greater than anything else.

The choices are either circular to into another debate or defeating of the core principles of Christianity. And both are essentially meaningless to the people who claim them, essentially being irrational positions in the first place.

Half of the states get payments from california. Your midwest states would fold if there was no calofornia.

You are using philosophy in science where it can be useful it has no place in testable experimental science. Free will is just a useful illusion. I agree with Harris that it is something everyone should learn but unlearn later in life. If you still believe in it you are a child

>Materialism is the only truth
>Truth should be relative because the objective truth doesn't work well with psychology during the prime developmental period of life
>The objective truth should be learned, unlearned and then still approached in life as if you never unlearned it, but you really tell yourself on paper that you have

I can smell the soy on your breath from here, you faggot.

>Dracula's army is some generic gang of demons instead of monsters from the games
They had one fucking job.

I don't know how, I'm taking my supplements like a good info warrior

I don't know who Sam Harris is but no one ever fucking taught me that I had a "will", it came up a lot but I wasn't instructed that it was "real", and it didn't exactly make my life better to assume that it ever was. It's actually made things a lot harder. Know what's malevolent on a developing child? Teaching them that they can overcome anything, pursue their dreams, and make life worth living by working hard and believing.

>we should bomb the states which are most responsible for agricultural production

Didn't think this one through, did you?

And I can smell the whiskey on yours, you fucking redneck.

>he thinks I'm American