So, exactly how is any kid going to even fathom that this is a racist depiction of black people?

So, exactly how is any kid going to even fathom that this is a racist depiction of black people?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Their racist white parents taught them enough to figure it out

They taught Dumbo how to fly, how is that racist? Honestly, people have way too much free time on their hands these days.

How is that racist when niggers acted that way back then and still do?
inb4 Sup Forums

would it be better if they were doves but, they still keep their voices.

They won't. Without being exposed to similar, more obvious mammy-era shit that they could draw a parallel to, nobody born today would be able to understand what they were meant to be caricaturing, because nowhere in the world do black people act like that anymore.

I never saw it. Still don't.

>So, exactly how is any kid going to even fathom that this is a racist depiction of black people?
Most younger people are completely oblivious to obvious racism in cartoons / film. It's pretty annoying seeing all the posts here along the lines of "That's not racist, it's just a big lipped, ape skulled Aunt Jemima look-alike with a watermelon and fried chicken." In a self-fulling way I guess they're right because their ignorance of history and popular culture is making it so that racism as we know it is gradually dying out, but it still bothers me how willfully ignorant you have to be to never learn about any of that. I don't even care about racism in a "you're being an evil racist" sort of way, it's just the complete absence of awareness for something really obvious that gets on my nerves.

Man, shut up, nigga.

>using crows to represent black people
>crow named Jim Crow
>made well before the Civil Rights movement so blacks where still second class citizens
In the context of the story they're not racist but in creation they're racist as fuck.

>be black

>love these guys as a kid

> every one tells me there racist as i get ovee

>go back and watch

>yeah still kinda racist but there still great

What do i do?

I never even put it together that they were meant to be black people, i just thought they were helpful and funny birds and didn't think about it. What really got my noggin a joggin is what the hell the elephants on parade part was supposed to mean.

how often does dumbo come up in conversation, just live your life

Chimp out and kill some whities.

Take a history course.

Accept it and move on.
Racist shit happens. The only people that are still going through stages of grief about it are by and large white.

Which version of history?
Because there's one out there where the War of Northern Aggression was over States Rights, and that seems to be the one people want to push as of late.

>War of Northern Aggression
>States Rights
Yeah, everyone knows that's contrarian bullshit.

Reminder that everyone back then hated blacks and the Northern states got to keep there slaves

If the historical reason of why it is racist is lost, is it still racist? Or are we keeping the racism alive by explaining in detail how it is racist?

The second one. I can understand the importance of preserving something for the sake of history, but I think 90% of the motive behind it is just so people have something to be outraged about. Kids don't give a single shit about this crap.

If only the south didn't attack us then we could have come to a compromise but those savages wanted to burn and we had the right guy for the job. Thank you uncle Billy

>back then

I'd give that whole spheal about how those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it but at this point I think we're probably fucked no matter what since all it takes is one powerful enough dumbass to ruin everything for everybody and even smart, reasonable people will bend over backwards to redefine reality because said dumbass is on their "team".
Funny how only blacks get catch shit for this kind of retarded tribalism.

First part and yes. It's race based so its still racism. Hitler,the south, and Rhodesia all found that out the hard way

>the Northern states got to keep there slaves
There was only a year between the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment, it's not like the North was very concerned with preserving their personal right to slave owning.
A better criticism of Abraham Lincoln and the North is that they mostly didn't have any confidence in the idea of blacks as actual US citizens and wanted them to go back to Africa.

>States Rights

Everyone knows that it was a war for the benefit of the African-American slaves to preserve and enforce their rights as human beings. That's why they were generally treated as equals in Northern states after the war by wh*te people.

what if i told you donald duck's bad attitude, mannerisms, and barely comprehensible voice was a racist caricature of polish immigrants

Nobody thinks the North treated black people great before or after the Civil War.
That doesn't change the fact pretending like slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War is retarded.

>see story in the news a few years ago
>kindergartners are supposed to come to school dressed as their hero
>little boy puts on a suit and colors his face brown so he can be Martin Luther King Jr
>promptly suspended for blackface

i see no way in hell that little boy is in the wrong, he has no idea about 1910s minstrel shows and that's a good thing

The character's name is never said in the movie. It's only a production name and has been said in everything else but the movie itself.

Reminder that the civil war was fought not to keep slaves but to force the confederacy back into the union

One story makes the winners look better

It's not really so simple.
Yeah you have caricatures that fit obvious stereotypes like you said, a lot aren't even removed in the sense where they're atleast dog people or whatever. But then you have Michigan J Frog.
He's a cake stepping vaudville act singing a coon song but the lyrics used don't really make use of well known coon lingo, the dance also had appeal outside of minstrel shows. So it's easy to get into the argument over whether or not this frog can be considered racist given how deep you need to get to see why he may be racist.
Not the Irish?

They gave me the impression black people were funny. I quickly learned that was not true at all.

>Not the Irish?

donald doesnt drink enough

His parents were the ones who were wrong.

>The dancing frog cartoon is apparently racist too
Jesus fucking christ, people are just scouring everything they can to try and find something they can screech "Racist" at.

t. public school brainlet

Anyone who has taken a college-level history class knows that the Civil War was about asserting Northern suzerainty over Southern states. Slavery was merely a pretext so that the North would have a reason to invade the South, which had seceded lawfully for over six months before the Northern invasion at Ft. Sumter. For decades before the North had forced oppressive taxes and tariffs on the South, depriving it of wealth and making agriculture, the mainstay of its economy, uncompetitive in order to protect Northern industry. Abraham Lincoln, the supposed hero of the war, even went so far as to suspend habeas corpus in direct violation of the Constitution of the United States. Faced with this, slavery or not, the Southern states were forced to secede.
And lastly, what none of the Yankee "muh slavuree" historians have managed to explain in 150 years is that Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia and the New Mexico territory were all slave states and shared cultural ties with Dixie, yet none seceded. You know why? Because their economies weren't going to be destroyed by Yankee tyranny. The war was at its core about economics.

Maybe it's all coincidence, but yeah he kinda is. What I'm arguing is if it really matters since Michigan J Frog pretty much owns all that shit now over Minstrel Shows.

>Abraham Lincoln, the supposed hero of the war, even went so far as to suspend habeas corpus in direct violation of the Constitution of the United States. Faced with this, slavery or not, the Southern states were forced to secede.
The Southern states were forced to secede because of something Lincoln didn't do until after they started seceding? And then they suspended habeas corpus under their own make believe state anyway because of how morally opposed they were to the suspension of habeas corpus?
Maybe you should've attended public school after all, user.

>The Southern states were forced to secede because of something Lincoln didn't do until after they started seceding?
It was only a matter of time before he was going to do it. Keep in mind he had several people arrested before it was even put before the Senate, almost all of them perceived political opponents. Lincoln was a tyrant, a fact which was obvious to all Democrats at the time, as well as most Republicans, who ignored the fact because it was in their favour. Try reading some actual history instead of propaganda next time.

they'll observe black behavior and make the connection

You know what's a really good justification for being tyrannical? When your nation is self-destructing from a Civil War.
And you didn't address how (all caps so you don't miss it this time) THE CONFEDERACY SUSPENDED HABEAS CORPUS TOO.

>When your nation is self-destructing from a Civil War.
Declared by Lincoln. And which had lasted for 15 days at that point.

When you try to declare your part of an existing nation is now a separate nation with its own independent government I don't see how you could expect any response other than war.

No, I would say the retarded PC culture we have now is wrong. This kid's hero is MLK Jr. Who fucking cares that long ago assholes painted their faces black and did terrible comedy? Why does that mean a kid who wanted to dress up as his hero should be told that no, he's not allowed to do that?

The kid's fine, but the parents were retarded for not recognizing blackface is something you don't do, or for recognizing it but sending their kid to school like that anyway just to prove a point.

The fact that blackface is something you just can't ever do, ever, in any context, is the problem.

The United States isn't a nation, it's a federation of voluntarily associated states, or at least it was before Lincoln. The states had every right to secede from the United States as they did from Great Britain.

>gets triggered over a kids movie

>Not shown to be any less intelligent than any of the other characters
>Some of the first characters to actually help Dumbo
>Catchy as fuck song
How exactly were they racist again?

Enjoy it and move on.

Except it's not specifically stated. So much for that strict constitutional interpretation and "no rights exist unless specified"
also everyone in this thread is a troll. Even me for this post. just abandon thread and move the fuck on

Poles are based, so there's that.

It's really not a problem at all. There's no good reason to do blackface, the vast majority of us can go through our lives just fine without ever putting on blackface. It's just an obviously stupid way to make race into a topic, in much the same way it's obviously stupid to do anything that makes contentious shit like abortion become a topic of discussion in school or at your place of work.
Again, the kid didn't know any better I imagine, but the parents definitely should have (and maybe they did but just wanted to get attention by race-baiting and then pointing out they were in the right because they were pro-MLK).

This just makes me think the US could use more Polish immigrants.

>the vast majority of us can go through our lives just fine without ever putting on blackface
We're literally talking about a situation where it's appropriate, dingdong.

Are you having a stroke, user? Your post there has nothing to do with the line you quoted.

His Uncle's Scottish.

I imagine it was much easier to make the connection back in 1941, when shit like pic related was common.

It is not racist at all. Stop being stupid. They are fucking cartoon characters.

>cartoons can't be racist
youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk

Not an argument.

>blackface montage
>set to a slow jam
This makes me want to dance with a lover that I can't ever have but dream of holding, not become angry at racist depictions of other people.

Thanks a lot, Spike Lee. I'm depressed again.

We all dance the slow dance eventually user.

Don't you see? Since white people can't do blackface any more without being criticized, that means they're being oppressed!