What went wrong?

Somehow all marvel's LGBT comics got cancelled.
io9.gizmodo.com/every-single-one-of-marvels-glaad-award-nominated-comic-1822238407

Were they just not good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lGo8RRWHOUQ&feature=youtu.be&t=8m18s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They must not have drawn in enough sales, so they got canned. All it comes down to is that it didn't pass the cost-benefit test.

Maybe GLAAD just has shit taste.

Not enough virtue signalling.

Catering to an unpleasible, ridiculously loud, vocal minority who never bought comics in the first place, while alienating your core demographic will probably cause you to fail. Yes.

Quality isn't really a problem, people buy both good and shit comics, it's usually down to following a character, I know I buy pretty much anything with the Metal Men. These series were killed because they weren't drawing in enough sales, that's it, if people want representation in their comics they have to actually buy them and keep buying them, not just dropping them after #1

didn't draw enough dimes

SJW's don't buy comics.

No need to click the article, here it is

They alienated their core demographic to pander to people who never had any intention to support them in the first place.

>I buy pretty much anything with the Metal Men
I guess you haven't bought any comics in a while then, huh?

Hey what did you think of Gods and Monsters?

Based Akira harakirid them all

They chose poorly.

How much shit to they nominate because there's some categories there with a dozen nominees.

It's not all examples because there's far more comics with gay characters.

I buy other comics, too many desu, but yeah, being a metal men fag is suffering, but I guess not being in stuff is better than ruining them right?

From what I remembered gods and monsters was good, the twist for Tina was cool as it was quite left field, but I definitely wouldn't want it for their mainstream counterparts

>Were they just not good?
Yes. When the main point of the comic is to highlight the characters gayness/race/whatever there's not much else you can do with that.

The actor who played Benjamin Sisko in DS9 explained it wonderfully.

youtube.com/watch?v=lGo8RRWHOUQ&feature=youtu.be&t=8m18s

And that's what Marvels SJW division could never quite get. SJW characters are boring because that's all they can be. Combine that with vocally shitting on your customers for not liking their garbage and you got a perfect storm of people not buying your comics.

>America won an award
How the h-
>It's for being good for LGBTBBQ
Oh right, that explains it.

>America's focused on what it's like to be a queer immigrant going to college for the first time.

No it didn't.

I challenge anyone to tell me how that statement is in any way accurate to reality.

>doubting The Shogun
lmao

Well I gotta give this journalist credit for one thing. He didn’t blame the poor sales on muh alt-right nazis. But I can’t help but think he wanted his article headline to lead to that conclusion regardless.

I love Avery Brooks, he's delightfully insane in the best way.

>Pandering to loudmouthed SJWs
>With comic books

If you really want their attention, make a TV show.

This works from the assumption that these comic were worth reading in the first place, and could be saved by a bit more publicity. The problem is, the writing of these comics ranges from mediocre, to boring, to mindbendingly awful. If you want people to read your gay comix, try making them a treat to read, with engaging pacing, themes, art, dialogue, worldbuilding, characters and story. Your only hook can't be the fact that the main character is gay, and you're already working from a disadvantage sales-wise by writing C and D listers. Protip: Straight Iceman can't hold a solo title either. In other words, if these comics were actually good, people would be reading them.

Just jumping in here again to say that another reee liberals thread has text in the subject line because OP is a newfag from reddit.

It’s because no one cares about this retarded crap. Queer people have the biggest sticks up their asses about everything. These people have cultivated a culture of shouting at things until they’re quiet and acting like they fixed something when they didn’t change shit. It’s why Trump got as far as he did and it’s why people don’t buy comics for fags.

Maybe

just maybe

they kind of people who push for this sort of thing in comics don't actually buy that many comics

and maybe

just maybe

even the actual gay people who read comics also don't buy their comics on the basis of who's gay and who isn't

user, are you implying that the quality of the comic matters more than whatever audience you're marketing your comic for? Are you saying that if, maybe if, these comics were worth reading & those characters actually had characters, the majority of people wouldn't care about whether or not they're gay?

Impossible. There's no way quality matters more than anything else in a comic.

It's always interesting to watch him. "Oh. He... he wasn't acting was he? If anything, Sisko is him toning his natural personality down a notch"

I'm just sayin' I'm a conservative christian who thinks anarchy is for chumps, but I still love V for Vendetta, because Alan Moore and David Lloyd are a phenomenal team who care about silly little things like writing, art, and storytelling.

I saw someone make a post on some star trek thread about sisko just going all out in the dominion war and nuking the founders out of existence, and then another user pointed out that that was just Captain Avery Brooks.

You'd be surprised how often journalists don't write their own headlines

Typical Sup Forums response.
Shouldn’t you Nazis be busy criticizing Star Wars The Last Jedi or something hmmm?

Turns out when you're more interested in making a gay character than a good character who is gay nobody wants to read about them.

WASTED
A
S
T
E
D

Pretty sure GLAAD's award system is
>ARE THEY A STRAIGHT WHITE CIS MALE? NO? HAVE A FUCKIN AWARD

Well considering they give awards to queer characters only, yeah that's pretty much how it goes.

>This high-profile nomination

Literally nobody cares who the GLAAD are or what they think, even within soup letter minority groups. It wouldn't have saved them nor were they worthy of saving. What a delusional mindset.

Shit I bet ya'll could write a better LGBTQ+ book than these assholes.

>Well yeah my character's "queer" but don't you want to know anything else about them?
>NAH FUCK THAT HERE HAVE ANOTHER AWARD

That'd be a decent mirror universe episode. Emperor Sisko, and it's just Avery Brooks amped up to 11.

I think Avery Brooks turned down to a 7 would be enough.

Being ashamed of your sexuality, having to come to terms with a different sexual identity, trying to accept yourself but never quite managing to escape the damage years in the closet can do to a psyche?

Yeah... I think Sup Forums could stretch to that.

Even the shittest product can go viral with a sufficient marketing machine.

Considering even major characters with significant public awareness can have trouble supporting an ongoing solo title, this was inevitable regardless of the gay angle.

Every time I hear the word queer as used by these people, I cringe a little

Barely 2 weeks into the new year and already Marvel is setting itself up to have an even worse PR year than the dumpster fire that was 2017. And all of it comes down to them having morning-after regrets with their former SJW bedfellows that they swore up and down were THE FUTURE but were actually tanking their business. Nope, turns out they're actually typical mentally disturbed lefty extremists with no fucking interest in buying comics and a penchant to eat their own as soon as they sense vulnerability and dissent.

Boy, if only there were a large and vocal group of old readers that habitually warned Marvel that faux nerds didn't buy comics or give a shit about the medium and would be their downfall. Yes... if only.

No I mean everyone would unashamedly have soooo much beefcake in every issue. I remember the Dick Grayson Spyral Agent threads.

>Somehow

The alt-right is winning. This can't be happening... WE HAVE TO START PUNCHING NAZIS, BROS!!!

IT'S 2018. COMICS NEED EVEN MORE DIVERSITY.

It's been a standard catch-all word for many years.

This. Those cunts are always ready to get in offensive alarm mode.

>Were they just not good?
i want to say yes to that, but i didn't read any of them.

NONE OF THESE ARE NEW TO COMICS

It's not even fucked up enough to give Christ Claremont or John Byrne half hard-on. And what these guys did to X-men is basically carried it with their boners.

Sweetie, asides from World of Wakanda, those books were awful, at least the art in Iceman was decent.
And this comes from a queer latino: America is THAT awful and Iceman behaves like a flaming nancyboy

Fair point well made.

Of course that "Tom of Finland would tell you to tone it the fuck down, seriously" approach is just about the only way you could create gay characters that would cause you not to win a GLADD award.

there have been plenty of closet nerds in a similar situation
not to mention that both cultures have been infiltrated and bastardized for the entertainment of the masses
so there is some common gound

also have you seen how super heroes dress? it's pretty gay

>GLAAD award
>Honor

It's tantamount to giving a gold star sticker to a dude who tried on his sister's panties

>break Iceman's character up with a sledgehammer
>implied mindfuck from young Jean
>total reversal, brain in a blender-type shit

There was no way someone could spin gold from the pile of shit left over. Young X-Men was a fucking mistake

It doesn't matter if it's good or not, most comics get canceled in their first year regardless.

>conflating a dumb meme with dumb canon

>Iceman was straight for his entire lifetime up to this point
>Jean tells him he's gay
>he's gay now

There's no other way out; it's simply not canon yet.

This thread is actually super gay.

America is queer (lesbian), an immigrant (from the Lesbian Dimension), and going to college (Sotomayor University) for the first time. It's just that the series in no way actually reflects what it is like to be queer immigrant college freshman.

Who knew winning some queer award wasn't a decent trade off for actual money ?

Stop being dumb. It was literally a joke from the guy who made those parody scripts that memesters started to pass off as real. There are plenty of real problems with that story, but Jean doing mind voodoo on Bobby was never even hinted at, while she was explicitly shown doing it at other times. It is absolutely never going to be canon that somebody forced somebody else to be gay. The very idea that a company getting off on virtue signalling would do that is preposterous.

>headline reads about gays being canceled
>Grrr
>there is my snowflake
Kek, whoever made this is funny as hell

He's black so he can get away with it

Okay? If it was a woman she’d be funny as hell too.

Yeah but women aren't funny

That's what Sup Forums is for but now that you mention it I will. Not Sup Forums by the way ,':^), I just have taste I guess.

>There are plenty of real problems with that story, but Jean doing mind voodoo on Bobby was never even hinted at, while she was explicitly shown doing it at other times.
It was clear Bendis intentionally left things ambiguous with young Jean. We saw her literally mindfuck Angel in their earliest modern appearance. We know she has no moral compass, and we know what she’s capable of. All that was left was turning her into a straight up villain.

I want to do a story about a queer revolutionary who goes out and fights in the streets to help bring about a new order in his country only to be betrayed by his colleague and former lover within the movement as they sell him and the other open queer people out to appeal to the normies and conservatives, ultimately ending with his execution to which in he remains defiant to the end.

Ultimately I just want to see if I can get a GLAAD award for what is a veiled biography of Ernst Rohm.

Women are super smart and super funny. Get over it.

>new for comics
get a load of this faggot

Apparently you’ve never seen a woman drive

It wasn't ambiguous at all. They paraded it around in the media and nobody in universe raised even a hint of doubt, whereas they were very suspicious of her other, actual shenanigans. And the fact remains that it is absolutely idiotic to suggest Marvel would allow something like a forced sexual conversion, which would need to be undone and cause a huge branding shitstorm regardless of outcome.

If we actually had Iceman got hurt from forcing himself to come out. I think the comic would be even better for it, to let those who know that coming out forcefully is so traumatic.

kindly fuck off with this kind of talk

If you promise to include "If Hitler hadn't betrayed Rohm, the white race wouldn't be in the dire straits it is today" in your speech at the awards ceremony, I promise to contribute to your kickstarter.

>And the fact remains that it is absolutely idiotic to suggest Marvel would allow something like a forced sexual conversion, which would need to be undone and cause a huge branding shitstorm regardless of outcome.

Marvel is idiotic. In case I'm not being loud enough, I'll caps it for you: MARVEL IS IDIOTIC. Bendis thinks bisexual people don't exist, that they're just 'sleeper gay.' That said, you're completely wrong because the media that would write about comics has a negative ethical score and is thus perfectly fine about a forced sexual conversion.

>just as a new audience was sure to hear about them
To their credit, Marvel did all they could to push these comics and get them to sell, for months all over Facebook and various other social media outlets you’d see America fucking everywhere. The people who award them don’t buy comics, the people who demand them don’t buy comics, and obviously the people these comics are suppose to represent didn’t buy the comics. Time to move on to something that might actually fucking sell

t. Female comedian with a stack of traffic tickets.

That would have been more realistic. People who come out that late in life, well after becoming sexually active, often have pretty serious issues to deal with.
Absolutely, but they're idiotic in the opposite way to what would cause them to write a story where sexuality is being literally changed at a whim. This is going to stick because undoing it would cause no end of bad PR from the people they're trying to lure.

One day the bisexuals will rise up, force all the fags and hetero bitches to eat pussy, all the dykes and breeder men to suck dick, and it will be a gloriously rapey dystopia.

Kindly grow the fuck up and deal with it. You are on the wrong fucking website if you get offended by shit like this.

I was thinking about this in context of Midnighter's DCYou solo and the later mini, the only people who are going to initially going to be aware of and buy the comic are the older, white, male fanbase.

>kindly fuck off with this kind of talk

>>America won an award
Where? I thought it just said it got nominated?

calm down shitbirds i just needed (you)s to test a 4chanX thing

That's it, I'm out. Fuck this gay Earth, I'm going to bed.

Well said. It's a tragedy the industry doesn't understand this.

I used to think a gay superhero could make it if the comic was good. But maybe its a deal breaker? Not for all but for most readers.

These comics are trash so I wouldn't hold it against the idea.

Nope. They should have shown America Chavez getting raped straight, that would have drawn people in. Actually faggots and dikes getting raped straight would solve a lot of problems.

>expecting major sales from minorities

>But maybe its a deal breaker?

Haven't come across many that know Midnighter and don't like him so I doubt it.

>Faggot getting raped straight

So, like, getting raped by a bunch of women?