Are there any oldfags here that were alive when Reagan was elected? How does it compare to Trump winning?

Are there any oldfags here that were alive when Reagan was elected? How does it compare to Trump winning?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2dO_QKwtko4
youtube.com/watch?v=F0FBi5Rv1ho
youtube.com/watch?v=M-ZUR9ialFc
youtube.com/watch?v=MVtft8BY7O4
youtube.com/watch?v=IeFS6S06w8c
youtube.com/watch?v=qzwATFfA1Lo
youtube.com/watch?v=_fy-uhxiXcE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There are probably plenty of people on this board who were alive when he was elected. The real question is how many of them are old enough to even remember him.

Yeah, that. I guess the person would have to be in their 50s or above.

I remember when Stalin was elected.

feels quite a lot alike (kinda hard to exactly remember feelings 36 years ago) but it felt like somebody had suddenly opened a window and a refreshing cool breeze of fortune turning our way and renewed optimism for the future which reinvigorated you and blew away the lingering hot stink of failed Pres Carter, the Iranian debacle, high inflation, gas lines, etc. Kinda like I've felt for the last few days.

if you're in your 40s you remember this very well

I was alive but too young. The Berlin wall coming down was YUUUGE, that I can tell you.

I remember seeing the wall come down as a kid on tv. I was like so-what? but my dad was glued to the tv.

He was like "holy fuck the dude is hitting it with a sledgehammer".

To understand how big the fall of the berlin wall was, one must look up the phraise "Stalin Lawn".

You mean when Man of Steel came out in cinemas?

This. There were a LOT of doubts about Reagan as well, a lot of naysayers fully expected him to be a complete lame duck at best and didn't think he'd accomplish anything.

Maybe it was the left narrative but in the early 90's there was a massive push to hate Reagan,

t.old fag

I didn't understand everything of course, but understood the significance. My pops was also glued to the tv.

nancy's "war on drugs" caused a lot of people to dislike him.

I barely remember the Vietnam war, just bits of it on a b/w TV.

Grew up during the 80's

Named my kid after him if that tells you anything.

Reagan baby here, but I honestly don't think he could have done any better than Trump. The blue states have moved way left since the 80s.

I was 4, don't remember.

re-election in 84 was a glorious time to be alive and is when I started getting into politics.

Wasn't 2 months old when he took his first office. Father (conservative ex-military) appreciated him. His father in law (pacifist & poet; no homo) not so much.

What I can tell you is America was great to each and erryone, then.

not so much young fag. At that time any non-degenerate American was against drugs, even liberals.

I'm 55 I remember it well.
Iran released our hostsges the day Ronnie Raygun was sworn in as the Pres.

Biggest landslide election in history.
Demoshits have never been BTFO like that.

This election is definitely #2

"We're haven't won the War on Drugs, we should give up"
We're haven't won the War on Poverty either.

For the love of God....I'm the only oldfag on here?!?
People loved the shit out of Reagan....I don't recall any protests at all. I had a Dead Kennedy's shirt with Reagan pointing a gun at a bunch of people and people would get mad
>le edgy 80's style
But yeah he betrayed everyone with his fucking pardon for illegals and was just as crooked as every other pres, but he was beloved. Fucking actor.
Also when he won in '80 he defeated Carter, who the (((press))) hated. They had a lot more influence at the time because everybody believed their lies. Cable was in its infancy and most people only had 3 channels.

Believe it or not... by yesteryears terms Trump was a degenerate/liberal.

Oldfag reporting in. I was in high school when he was elected. I remember watching the inauguration on an old black and white TV in my HS history class.

The country was in shit shape before him, gas prices were ridiculous, economy stagnant, we were still recovering from Vietnam and had a bad beat in the desert of Iran trying to rescue some hostages. Military looked weak.

He did some big tax cuts, expanded military spending a ton, this spurred the economy a lot. took on the USSR. Unfucked NATO with Thatcher's help.

He also rammed a missle down LIbya's throat when provoked, and didn't take much shit.

In truth, his first three years were tough, his approval rating weren't great. It took awhile for his tax cuts, and spending on military to trickle through the economy. He deregulated and broke up unions too, pissed off some folks, but he held on.

By the time Beruit happened and we bombed Libya and defense spending turned the economy around he was beloved. By 1984 he was rolling.

He was a tough old bird too, look at him after his assassination attempt as proof.

How it feels vs Trump.

We'll see. Trump needs to make some bold changes and then hang on as people adjust.

If I were him, I wouldn't start with 'the wall', start with the 'drain the swamp' theme. Push ethics reform, 5-7 years out of public life before you get a K-street lobbying job for instance, no more foreign government lobbying, shit like that.

Then get a jobs bill done, whether its bridges or aircraft carriers no one gives a shit. Just get some people working.

Get a big tax package and immigration done after that. Model US immigration on the leafs to make the butthurt liberals OK, then reform it from there to get more tough once the framework is in place.

Get a flat tax system done. Cut out all the fucking loopholes. Lower the corporate tax rate in the US to bring some manufacturing back.

Keep winning.

haha it was the best, wasn't it? You think the media is asspained now....

Commies got btfo so hard they're STILL asspained about it.

I was young when the gipper was president. But I remember loving my country, communism was bad, and democrats were evil weasels. Not much has changed, except America is full of communists now.

Reagan granted amnesty in exchange for border security and reform. Except he granted amnesty first and Congress said fuck you that's all we actually wanted and dropped the deal. Can't blame Reagan for that man.

So the 1980s are really comparable to today?

Nobody said there were protests, dumbass. People hated Carter but there were TONS of people who didn't think Reagan was any better because they didn't think he had enough political experience, I remember one of my friends going on a tirade about how Reagan would end up making basic mistakes and destroying the U.S.

I'm 48 and I can remember telling my dad to vote for Ford..

...kind of? Obama IS a lot like Carter in that he's a libtard squish. The economy in the late 70's was pretty shit too....

STYX is that you?

Oh that's the when was the first elected 1980 I was 17 and so by the time he was gone in 88 a I was 25 and I honestly don't think that anything at all that he did ever reached my consciousness I live the entire 80s was out watching television and or consuming any mass media so I really was literally totally unaware of what Was going on around me as far as well Reagan goes the only thing I knew we'd see bumper stickers every now and then Ronald rate Wilson Reagan 666 that's about as much as I knew

He gave amnesty to millions of illegals.

i was alive and remember most of Reagan's presidency, but only through the prism of my dad who was in the military. Reagan took care of the military.

actually
is right.

Congress fucked him.

this is a more modern interpretation of the war on drugs. people forget that reagan was responding to drug crises that plagued cities in the 70s and people wanted something drastic to be done

?????????????????

I remember.
There was excitement in the air, but not nearly the level this one had.

Of course, the Reagan memes had to wait for the daily paper back then.

In all seriousness, no one thought whites would start producing 1.7 children. No one predicted this illegal invasion would happen as quickly. I hope trump can reverse it.

james baker is someone that could never he trusted. oli north not going to jail was shocking. the deal with russia is epic and will be talked sbout for hundreds of years. nes was the shit.

He had Zero kikes in his cabinet but appointing (((Greenspan))) was his only real mistake

Oldfag here too, and I remember it well. Was a great time to be in the Corps and later the after I got out the PD. We always knew the Gipper had our backs.

I could never have done either if condition were the way they are now under Obama, worst CiC ever.

54 here. Carter never, and to this day understood how despised he was by the american people. Gave away one of our most strategic assets, the Panama canal, simply because it hurt the feelings of Panamanians to have the US controlling it, all because of feels.

Minimum wage was 3.35, and the government took 1/3 of what you made, for a 140 a week gross you kept about 85 bucks, that's why so many people worked under the table. One big federal cock up your ass, when Donks talk about taxes that means everybody, even the lowest paid worker gets fucked.

In defense of carter he is from the south and we have been shit on for 60 yrs for not embracing cultural diversity. We are the grandfathers of dissention and cuckery. I actually find it funny now that as an old fag and those groups shit all over southerners for being intolerant racist yet when this diversity arrives at their doorstep, now its a fucking problem.

No, I'm old and don't know what the fuck you are referring to.

Difference:

Carter was a very unpopular president. Iran had taken American citizens hostage from our embassy and Carter fucked up their rescue. Obama's favorability rating will be higher on his exit than Trump's on his inauguration.

Similarity:
The media portrays both as boobs. However, they were both very persuasive and were able to win the hearts and minds of the people. Regan had great advisors. I have high hopes that Trump will surround himself with competent people. If they don't work out, he will have no qualms about firing them. (He went through three campaign managers.) Foreign countries were scared of Regan. They called him a "cowboy." The Russian people though he would start WWIII. I see the same pants-shitting with Trump and that's a good thing. It makes out bargaining position better.

Very old fag compared to most of you faggots.

I was in the gas lines during the shortage. The misery index etc.

South Louisiana Oil bust. Mass unemployment. To
this day still can't eat lentils or split peas. Ate only that for a year.

Reagan felt much like Trump, this entire election
felt like Reagan. Read the op eds from 1980.

Reagan was labeled dangerous, called everything Trump was.

We made a huge mistake. We thought we won the war against liberals.
Same mistake I see people making right now.

Defeated liberals ran to the only place that would have them academia.

They've indoctrinated generations as a result. We can't allow them to regain strength again.

It only worked back then because USA and USSR were the strongest global players and the russkies were stupid enough to get themselves baited. Trump doesn't have that luxury, as soon as he pulls some shit the chinks will colonize your sorry asses.

Yes pissed off the air traffic controllers, but he ended that strike swiftly.

The 80s had the highest crime rates in America's history.

I remember. What you kids have to realise is that it was a different world then. The only news/info was from mainstream media. The internet barely existed. Nobody questioned anything to any great extent. I'm from the UK and most people just laughed that the U.S. decided to vote for an actor to be President. Looking back, the Reagan era was something of pivotal point in the evolution of the current shit we find ourselves in. He didn't fuck things up too badly and people talk positively about him but check out when the U.S. national debt started to go ballistic... I'm pretty sure the global elites were getting things moving with the NWO then.

Chinks have no oil, only labor.

We own them, we do not have to fear them.

If we can secure the Anglo-sphere, we fuck them.

Firing them was played up in the press as bad, but most people didn't realize that it was ILLEGAL for the air traffic controllers to strike. Regan had every right to fire them. It was a no-nonsense move that galvanized Regan's reputation as strong president.

Trump is against the flat tax and he would need to start on the wall early. experts say it would take 4 years to complete and unless you have airtight legislation you risk a liberal congress/pres stopping it next term.

It was nothing alike. Reagan was a respectable guy and already liked from his days in entertainment. When he won, the country wasn't ready to riot.

Trump is literally a joke, and an insulting sack of shit who will never be accepted.

And this is despite the fact that Reagan turned out to be a criminal.

After that big labor didn't fuck with him. Matter of fact big labor died in the 80s, unions became less and less of a thing. They harldy hold much power these days, unlike the 70s.

I remember him ;_;

Media played it up to garner sympathy for them. It didn't work.

He was correct, and I remember press having to admit it.

you actually alive during the reagan years werent you squidward

And still: erryone I met in the 80's, from quite some more than 2 or 3 countries, just loved the USA. It was the source of all that was cool and great. And it made us happy too.

It doesn't have to be a pure flat tax, but just an unfucked tax code.

I don't think an actual wall will get done, but if he can stem the tide of us becoming a multi-cultural shithole, also-ran nation. I'll fucking take it, just hammer down on it and get it under fucking control.

Trump doesn't strike me as the details driven guy as much as a results driven guy. And most of us deplorable in the country feel the same way.

Not a that old fag but I spoke to one the day after the election. He said it was similar but the Reagan ass kicking was worse.

The media viewed Regan as a joke. He was an actor for christssakes. Remember in BTTF when Marty tells Doc Brown Ronald Regan is the president? Doc Brown finds it completely unbelievable. Saturday Night Live, Fridays, and other comedy shows relentlessly disparaged Regan.

However, Regan was teflon. The greatest example of this was when Howard Hessman tried to get people to take a picture of themselves mooning a picture of Regan. They got so few responses, they had to cancel the joke.

>mfw the only big event i witnessed during childhood was 9/11
>Never was alive to see most of the cool shit in the past

Being a millennial sucks

Did they really love us? I used to think that back then, but maybe in reality, they just needed us to protect them from the USSR.

It was definitely a different time. We were going to fucking space and using lasers.

pop music was like this
youtube.com/watch?v=2dO_QKwtko4

BttF is your reference? What? How old are you? That movie is set in the 50s.

This wasn't even the first time Reagan ran. And he gave such impressive speeches that he really riled the Republican party into a hopeful group who rallied heavily behind him in 1980.

I was bon in 1980 so I only barely remember the end of his second term. My mom and her friends tried to bluepill me on Democrats. My dad probably voted for him but never talked about politics.

I remember being horrified to find out my dad voted for Bush in '88.

My first redpill was listening to Newt Gingrich give an address on the radio after the 1994 Republican Revolution.

I was young, so I didn't understand the nuances of the election, but my impression was the same as The late 70's were shit. Depressing, hopeless, bleak. Then Reagan came in and it was like a breath of fresh air. America had lost confidence in itself, and Reagan, despite his faults, restored that confidence.

I think Trump can do the same. There are a lot of parallels between then and now.

You mean 3 days ago?

Yes, but that was because we beat Communism and the neocons hadn't quite gotten in yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=F0FBi5Rv1ho

We are about to witness the largest white flag in history.

What is it?
Clinton, Obama, Soros, and Bush groups whom own large portions of the voting booths will push that Russians hacked votes.

Whats does this mean?
They will negate the votes for Trump and either throw a mock election or simply hang him for treason. This will start ww3 with Russia.

What can you do?
Tell everyone. We saw the clintons speaking about this. We need to show their move. Please Spread this to infowars and any other site as a potential play.

Oldfag here, popular culture had Ronnie as "ronnie ray-gun" who was going to burn us all in nuclear fire.
Seriously he was demonised to an absurd degree.

2:50 shows the other "story" that he was too stupid to do anything.
youtube.com/watch?v=M-ZUR9ialFc

Fuck you and your pork and cheese ass, you know nothing.

I don't think you're seeing the wood for the trees. Cultural Marxism had only just begun during the Reagan era and hardly existed at all in terms of what people experienced in their daily lives. Reagan had a relatively free ride as a Conservative compared to Trump today. Ironically, Trump is probably less Conservative than Trump by the way. These days, the cancer of Cultural Marxism has spread its tentacles throughout society in the 'long march through the institutions'. As a result, NeoLiberal and NeoCons have become our false choice and Liberal 'Progressives' are too much like zombies for comfort. Political Correctness, a weapon of Cultural Marxism has been deployed with clinical efficiency and it's killing us. The level of corruption and criminality from the Clinton camp is exponentially higher than at any point in history. I read what you said about Trump and, although he isn't a Saint, I just see a reality inversion because you are blind to all the shit that Trump has tried to oppose.

1974 reporting in.

I don't remember his election. But I remember both my parents loved him. And so did every school teacher. It was a great time to be kid.

Oldfag here.
I was 9 years old when Reagan was elected and even as a kid in grammar school, it was a huge deal. People were openly bitter and derisive of Carter much as we are today with Obama.
Seriously. If you walk into a supermarket and say something poor about Obama today on his executive orders or Obamacare, no one rrises to the defense. Same deal with Carter.
The two big deals were the gas crisis and the Iran Hostage situation. Carter was viewed as weak and responsible for both to a degree.

Reagan carried the vote and when he was elected and we got the hostages back in a hurry, he was seen as a hero right out of the gate. Optimism was really high.

47yo here, I was 11 when Reagan was elected. The similarity is eerie.

Maggie had been elected the year before on a programme of fucking over the striking bin men (streets were filled with trash), the striking power workers (we had 3 days electricity a week), and other shits. Her job #1 was to lift police and army pay, and it was all gravy from there. Ron then got elected and we were like, "an Actor?". Ron and Maggie became BFFs.

"Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.”

Heh, yeah, I remember the star wars being the big ZOMG IT WILL BE WWIII dinner table topic in my liberal zone.

Interestlingly, Dr. P just expanded on his role in the USSR regime change with particular reference to the SDI which he claims was a essentially psychout.

Born 1970 here absolutely remember him, there are to me both John Wayne candidates. While i can't say I like Reagan, some of his policies were fucked, he may have been the last President to actually give a shit about this country, I can only hope for the same outta Trump.

I was just a small child, but I remember how bright and shiny everything was at the time. If you look at youtube videos, you can see there was a lot of civil unrest, but also there was a lot of wealth created. Trump is actually pretty similar, or even more aggressive, when it comes to unregulated capitalism. If Trump can awaken a similar sentiment in people, I think America could create a lot of wealth and prosperity--like the good old days. People were really excited and happy, but it went a little sour later on. All I remember is my parents bought a huge house. That was the expectation at the time. Things got a little more humble in the 90s, but were still very happy and there was lots of time for hobbies. The sentiment at the time was really optimistic and cantered around shopping and going to the mall, and watching television especially. Maybe Trump is a little more like Thatcher. She also created wealth, but it was a more aggressive kind of capitalism and people fought much harder.

Look at the Alvin and Chipmunk house, for example. That's what your house was supposed to look like.

But look at the poll tax riots, that's how ugly protesting got:

youtube.com/watch?v=IeFS6S06w8c

youtube.com/watch?v=qzwATFfA1Lo

cyoutube.com/watch?v=qzwATFfA1Lo

youtube.com/watch?v=_fy-uhxiXcE

I remember Reagan running in 1980.

It's a LOT like Reagan.

Yes. I was there when he was elected twice. He brought lots of hope. He was a great speaker. He was able to get blue-collar workers voting for a Republican. He helped bring down communism. The greatest American president in my lifetime.

It was obviously a joke.

>pork and cheese ass
ayy lmao

It was better in Reagan. He was a true conservative and the best, most inspirational speaker of all time (search for some of his speeches if you want inspiration). But the rioting, crying libs do make this time sweat and as much as I deplore Trumps hypocrisies, I gotta thank him for the laughs.

The only clear memory I have from that was when Iran released the hostages immediately before the inauguration and this little skinny faggot was going around saying "burn Reagan's butt" because he thought it was somehow good for Carter's image.

I dunno I was 6 last time Reagan won.

I disagree.

In the late 1990's Ronald Reagan was changed from the way he really was to this ultra-conservative icon.

The real president Reagan was far more middle of the road than most people care to remember.

apart from a few butthurt, worried and wimpy "intellectuals", yes, the world mostly did love America, back then

only anime from Japan (arrived in France around 1985) was better (they 100% chinpokomoned us in the 90's, with vidya and more anime)

I didn't know a kid from then who didn't think America was great, and most adults, though shy to openly admit it, thought just the same

there was a saying, here: "c'est l'Amérique" ("it is America") when we were thinking of things almost too great to be true, whether actually related to America or not

and that wasn't because you protected us (France didn't need that much protection- in part because we had actual Moscow obeying commies in gobernments, in part because of nukes)
even those from countries you actually protected, or fled from USSR controlled shitholes loved you for who you were, not what you did
it was true, genuine, love.

So MAGA really rings a bell to me.

The Guacemolian has some things right. Reagan was a great speaker and had good ideology. He and Tip O'Neil did some back rooms deals, but got shit done.

In the 80s it was old hippie tears that were felt, today it's SJW tears. Really, the same fucking thing. Just turned to water cannons on them and move the fuck on.

The permanent novelty was cool, sure. But it was not that different: not as easy, yet more naive, I'd say.

Anyone who doesn't remember Carter being attacked by the rabbit is too young to properly remember reagan.

>Carter never, and to this day understood how despised he was by the american people.
Yet he still alive

sorry:
was meant as an answer to you

My first election was 18 in '80 and voted Reagan. The big similarity to Trump - Reagan was also an outsider even though he was governor of Cali. The press was totally in the tank for Carter and polls had ad Carter leading by like damn near 10 points. They chided Reagan saying he nothing more than an actor and wasn't qualified. Carter's policies had totally fucked the economy and like Obama he was a total cuck on foreign policy. The Commie faggots in the press were shocked when Reagan annihilated Carter. Honestly I feel the Dems were more civilized back then. There was more honest debate and room for compromise. The libtards today are so fucking Nazi.. actually more like radical Islamists in the sense that they have a take no prisoners ideology. It's bit them in the ass big time the past few cycles and now this Presidential election. They don't listen to what most people really want. They're only focused on their own progressive agenda with this holier than thou, condescending attitude like they have some moral authority when they're actually despicable thugs. Fuck all the libtards forever.

We're around the same age. You are correct.

Not to mention the various highlights of the carter administration...

... I know you can't afford heat, but if you put on a sweater everything will be fine.

... Ya, his beer sucks, but he's my brother so I'll just let him be.

... I wasn't attacked by the rabbit. No, really, I wasn't.

... Yes, America is fucked, but it's because YOU don't believe enough.

... nu -- key -- er

... my 10 year old daughter and I were talking about nuclear proliferation

I read a lot of the comic strip "Doonesbury" at the time. At one point a character says: "I can't believe we just elected a man who co-starred with a chimpanzee".

Someone else said "I think i'm going to shoot myself." And got the reply, "Good choice - handguns will soon be cheap and plentiful".

Liberals hated him with a bloody passion, but at least they didn't wet themselves they're doing nowadays.

Thank you elderfag. Any ideas how we can stop the defeated leftists this time before they carve out a new broodhome and wreak havoc in a decade or two?

I talked to my dad and my stepdad about this and they both said although the Reagan election was crazy and had similar vibes to this, but this election is 10x more insane and the Trump victory is the biggest political movement they've seen in their lives.