/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #446

Where's Bones' Interview? Edition

Previous thread: Thread Question: How can you let bad hombre bones consistently put out more content than you? GET TO WORK

Here's a list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

> /hyw/ CONTACT SHEET - add your webcomic site, contact information, etc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

> /hyw/ DISCORD CHAT
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

> DRAWING PRACTICE and TUTORIALS
Ctrlpaint.com
drawabox.com/
line-of-action.com/
quickposes.com/en

> STOCK IMAGES and REFERENCE
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/
Character Design: pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

> FONTS
Blambot: blambot.com/
Create your own: calligraphr.com

> WEBSITE
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
Promoting your comic: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

> ART and WRITING RESOURCES
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

> PODCASTS and VIDEOS
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
John Cleese on Creativity: youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
Capeworld & Mitch's Podcast, Ep. 1:
youtube.com/watch?v=vEwm_duF578

Other urls found in this thread:

tapas.io/series/Bhb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bones drawings remind me of gogo animate characters

He told me he couldn't make it. Again. Because he messed up summoning a succubus.

We would have recorded an episode without him but I've been getting my ass stomped by a cold like I do every winter.

We're skipping bones because he's being a flake. Sorry bones, we can't wait for you forever.

Anyone interested in being next for interviews? A couple of guys expressed interest. Maybe we could get several of you on at once?

Reminder we're going to be reviewing Batman vs Predator next time. So brush up on Batman/Predators/Crossovers if you want to join us on that discussion.

interview me

>reviewing Batman vs Predator
I thought this was a webcomic podcast. talk about fucking webcomics

I'd say one featured guest an episode, don't want to burn out. Future episodes could have repeats or inviting multiple previous guests

IDENTIFY YOURSELF user

Webcomics are just comics. On the web.

But what webcomics would you want us to talk about?

I'm Chewie Fuckface and I'm making a comic about two guys starved of interviews until they find the golden goose interviewee named Chewie Fuckface.

>annoying voice
>not talking about webcomics
>being a huge faggot
How does mitch put up with you?

I keep his phylactery on a shelf.

We'll get to some webcomics in time even if no one recommends them. I want to talk about Lackadaisy Cats and PS 238.

Didn't you guys say I would be next after bones?

Do you still want to be dewd?

>Thread Question: How can you let bad hombre bones consistently put out more content than you? GET TO WORK

He doesn't. I just don't post here anymore because I get nothing out of it.

I this month so far I've done 10+ comic pages, 21 sketches, and 4 color illustrations.

Zach is fine as well.

Alright. When will you be able to go on? It can be as soon as tomorrow or as late as next Friday.

also quality over quantity am i rite?

Amazing how those things apply to you.

Yeah, I can do tomorrow, I don't have anything going on.

Nice! Is skype alright with you? What's the skype name?

Capeword, my dude. If you wanna do this podcast thing you have got to at the very least, get a functional microphone.
Get someone to edit out your long pauses. Cut down the podcast's run time to like 30-45 minutes. 2 hours is way too long for a webcomic podcast when you have nothing to say about webcomics. Take an improv class or something, learn how to entertaining and/or funny. You two have no chemistry or energy, the podcast sounded like two dudes struggling to make conversation for hours on end. It was just completely boring.

Yeah, my skype name is The dewd

Not necessarily with comics though. Consistency is better. Schedule is better. You should be sacrificing some quality to get comics out on a good schedule, unless you're already an art god so your sacrificed quality is still great.

There are times where I look at pages, a lot of them in fact, where I think I could have done better, but I also have a strict schedule and I will correct any really bad flaws, I leave the rest knowing in 10 pages I will be better.

I do 3 pages a week and my schedule is half a page every day, strictly. Even if I have extra time unless I'm really bored. Over a while you get a buffer this way if you don't start out with one.

I still want to believe, though it becomes harder over time, that bones is a dedicated troll. Or maybe he really loves trains.

We're going to have to schedule the interview for sometime later this week. We're working to address some of the problems with the podcast with a 20-minute webcomic review.

ive had people bitch about minor issues with pages when I finished it hours before a deadline.
sometimes you just need to move on from a page rather than fixing it over and over.

I try to get a page done every two days-ish. and that's hard to do when everyone wants you to go back and fix shit.

Touched up Spring, going to add her transformation next and then start on Winter.

I think she needs a leg-up

alright cool.

I'm pissing with excitement, my comic has been sent to be printed, it's basically DONE (well the first book anyway) This is the finished cover!
If anyone wants, I can talk about the process of turning a webcomic into a printed book, because it was a very hard process, and very eye opening, having never worked with anyone before on my comic to having a bunch of people look over my shit and try to make it readable/ fix my dumb mistakes. I seriously couldn't have done it on my own.

>If anyone wants, I can talk about the process of turning a webcomic into a printed book, because it was a very hard process
Please do! I'm looking to publish my work later this year.

Why does it look like bootleg Frozen?

well ask anything you want.

Because Frozen is a poor mans version of Norway.

thats awesome user, threads need m ore of this kind of positivityy

toasting the lines of the next page of M.O:T.H
progress is slow but its much faster then previous years where i produces roughly zero content, lookin at the bright side.

paprik-a.tumblr.com
for art stuff
obscurumastrum.tumblr.com
to read the comic, when its posted

Working on page 4 atm, question: Are the onomatopoeia merged with the flames easy enough to read? Final page will be almost double this size, but I rather deal with smaller res for now.

How did you go about publishing? Self published or did you have to talk to a company?

>We're reviewing Critical Miss

Videogames were a mistake.

Is this really what the kids these days like?

>Because he messed up summoning a succubus.
What a cunt!

Was turning your webcomic into an actual book something you really wanted to do or were you approached by someone to have it made physical?

How much of a say did you have when others were editing and changing things in the comic?

Has it or will it be translated?

Hey I'm so happy for you, I remember when you first started posting here. I kinda preferred your old comic style but I can understand that the Disney look sells.

Anyway, glad to see you've Made Itâ„¢

They came to me after seeing it online, so I was very lucky there.

I didn't think about having it made into a book, I had abandoned it because I had other goals as a concept artist.

I have most say in the comic, the only time I had the publishers change something in the story was because what I had made so far wasn't enough for a whole book they thought, so I made pages that would wrap up the first book better. In the future books I will still have creative freedom, but I will probably still have to bounce ideas eventually with my editor.

It has been translated to Norwegian, yeah.

Thanks, the style hasn't really changed, looks the same style as i did before inside, the cover however is very marketable.

Man I really need to get on the ball when it comes to being there for when it's time to make a new thread so stuff like this doesn't keep happening.

The cover art for episode 2.

How do I improve the background? I don't really like it, and I really don't want to use my generic space background again.

So happy for you, Malin! I was a patron supporter and loved your comic, and I was sad to see it stop updating. But getting it in book form will be awesome!

Some questions:
When is it out?
How much material does the first book cover? Does it contain everything that was up on the website before it closed down?
Have you had to alter/remove any content that was in the online version?
What kind of schedule should we expect? How much time between books?

Anyway, 'grats! I'm going to buy your book day 1 for sure.

Wtf did he end up summoning?

Stuff like what? the threads fine you autist

... is that supposed to be a hand?

geez, didja do the cover work yourself? pretty nuts if so

Thank you!! I was sad when I stopped updating too, but life got in the way.

It's out in like a month!! We sent it to the printers like, yesterday, then I think I get to see the first prints in the beginning of February, then it'll be in book stores in Norway as early as February 20th or something, so it's real soon!

It covers everything I posted online, but a lot of pages has been redrawn, mainly the beginning. Redrawn and edited, mostly because the art style was inconsistent in the beginning. Theres also 20 new pages never seen before online that I drew to wrap up the first issue. I'm really proud of those.

I didn't have to alter or censor anything, I chose to redraw the pages in the beginning, and I was very stoked to get to draw new pages for the release. For the future books I still have full creative freedom. Cuz like, the book is meant as a childrens book now, 10+ and up, but I'm still allowed to draw blood and violence, my editor believe children can handle that.

Schedule wise, They want me to make a book a year. We'll see how that goes! I can probably do it. Maybe.

Yeaup.

The thread itself is fine but the OP image is obvious bones drama shitpost bait and I'm honestly glad it hasn't devolved into that, good on you /hyw/ posters

And yes it's a horrible tracing of the Uncle Sam I Want You! poster.

Welp, I just went ahead and finished it. Time to clean some vidya backlog. I'll be doing page 5 later tonight.

FWOOM and WOOSH on 2nd and 3rd panel - yes.
4th panel - no.

Does anyone need an artist for their comic? I'm offering up my art services for $50 a page traditional or digital. Introductory price for the first page is $35.
Samples of my art @pencilforge on instagram or my webcomic tapas.io/series/Bhb
Cover art too.

>drops GG to do this retarded ugly SU comic
>pussies out on interview
I'm done with bones, fuck you, you deserve what you get

NEW COMIC, two comics in a week.

Aaah yeaaah! I love some minor blood on girls.

Finished Spring

You should learn how to draw arms and hands

Made the change.

I am here to listen to you. Redline it for me.

Except for the fifth panel. It suppose to be wacky.

I hope the succubus is okay.

Nah, I think theirs arms look funny and nicely stylized.

Your comic is so cute.

Winter concept WIP. going for a hipster vibe with her.

rule 34 when

There's context to this, but I'm not going to provide it at the moment.

Don't forget her

Is that not one of these

reminded me of team pop epic for some reason

I think this page is finished. Time to move on.

Oops I put the french version. My mistake.

saw it coming. Would have offered to fill in but A) still a bad time for me and B) i'm coming down with a nasty throat infection right now. Not hurting my voice yet, but don't wanna push it.

that topic doesn't sound super interesting either

Was the original comic in RGB and did you run into any CMYK conversion issues?

>HHOOOOOOOOM
at least the fire has good grammar

Guess who got a tablet. You're gonna see some serious shit when I figure this thing out.

The original was in RGB, a designer at the publisher did the conversion, I dunno how complicated that was. Next book I'll probably get some design guidelines so it'll be easier for the designer.

I am seeing serious shit.

Serious shit in the lack of talent you have.

reminds me of a moebius piece

I'm so glad!
Don't worry if it takes you a while to get used to it. If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. What program are you using?

the only thing I know for sure is that bright neon blue doesn't exist because pure cyan ink is the best you can do for that, and it's unfortunate because I love bright neon blue in my work.
I remember when I fully realized why additive and subtractive colors are the way they are, it was a huge revelation.

Well that was MS Paint. The tablet comes with a free download of ArtRage lite, so I'm going to try that out in a bit. I've been recommended Clip Studio Paint and Corel, so I'll look into those if I'm not satisfied with ArtRage.

>50 dollarydoos
What kind of sucker is going to fall for this?

60 is the standard for a comic page, but that's like a full professional comic page, not like a newspaper comic strip

are you french?

I am.

Yeah but trash tier like that is worth maybe 20 tops

Do you guys really go Hon Hon Hon?

Asking for a friend

Maybe put more distance between the characters in the foreground and the building in the background. The way it is now makes the scaling look really weird, like the characters look like they could barely fit through the doors and the roof of the school would be a few inches above the heads of the characters.

Ackchyually, it's FWOH! I dunno why I thought it was a good idea to have the F mirrored like that.

Yes, sometimes.

oh I didn't see there were samples
I'm not gonna look since I don't need to hire an artist, but I think that since he put his mouth where his money is, you probably don't need to add anything further. Nobody's going to be duped into not knowing what they're buying. If he's really not worth it, market forces will solve everything
in my experience, that's a generational thing. We're two generations past honh honh honh

I had a usb drawing tablet at one point, but it was a situation where you had to hold a tiny button down on the pen when you wanted to draw and it was incredibly annoying to use. Is the one you have like that? If not, how much did it cost?

Why is the witch in underwear ?

Other than that, pay attention to your shadows. fire should cast some light on your character.

I just got a cheap Wacom off Amazon for $80.
It detects the pen's nub on the touch pad, no button-pressing required.

I thought about the shadow, but the Sun at noon makes for a stronger light source, so I gave priority to the Sun (not that I can do any better, tho)
And that's a swimsuit, they're on a beach, believing that OC swimsuit contests meant to beat the shit out of each other.

From a realistic standpoint it makes sense to flip letters, but for readability I wouldn't do that. I'd "cheat" so the F and W look right side up. Especially since the rest of the letters are symmetrical

>Why is the witch in underwear ?
You've been gone for far too long...

>but the Sun at noon makes for a stronger light source
Not if the fire is that close (and the shadows that dark). You could try to draw at least a slim light.

> And that's a swimsuit
Of course, silly me. I really am tired

Im just putting my art out there. If its not what you're looking for no ones forcing you to pay

Not that user and I'm on my phone so I can't red line, but if you added a little more definition at the base of the hand and the wrist area it would go a long way. For instance the guard in the first panel, just add a bit of a curved line going from the bottom of his thumb to the end of his wrist. Just something to tell us where the arm ends and the hand begins - right now the hand looks sort of like a bunch fingers hanging out of a flipper. You're doing great work though and I like seeing your progress.

oh it's this guy? Now that's interesting. Wouldn't have expected you to become a merc.