Was it good?

Was it good?

Meh.

Ignore this moron, as it was actually quite a good read.

Absolutely, if a bit of a mess.
Very ambitious tho

Yes /end thread.

yes

>Absolutely, if a bit of a mess.

Explain yourself.

>Tfw he used to have hair

Yes, apart from the somewhat rushed ending that took fifty years to come out.

Yes, but the ending nt giving Evil Reed and Sue the focus Evil Johnny and Ben got, completely skipping over Not!Apokolips then focusing the final issue on a character we really didnt spend enough time with to really care for was disappointing.

Took way too long to finish up, most of the later issues are decompressed to hell and don't add much to the overall plot, the Four are massively underdeveloped with only Evil Reed and Evil Johnny getting any sort of characterization and only Evil Johnny getting actual focus as a character, that in turn is a part of a greater issue in that characters outside the main three don't really get much development, particularly the rest of the Planetary staff.

Yeah it was and I wanted to talk about part of it with people who've read it.

Do you guys remember "The Snowflake Pattern" of the multiverse? How it was a bunch of earths floating together to make a snowflake looking shape? Pic related is sort of an example, it's this shaped made up of little earths.

I have my own "head-canon"/hypercrises theory/idea of basically juxtaposition the snowflake onto the current map of the DC multiverse. So the 52 Earths are the stable universes and inbetween those earths are infinite parallel worlds, so that if one of those universes die, the Infinite Earths just fill in the gap. They connect each of the different universes too, like between Earth-2 and Earth-3 there is a chain of Infinite Earths, the close to each universe you get, the more like the stable ones they are. There are Infinite Earths leading to each of the established universes, so if you have a complete map with all the Stable Earths and Infinite Earths... It's the Snowflake Pattern.

What do you guys think? I need to draw this out somehow.

I really liked the first half. The second was a mess. The ending fell flat.

I'll do you one better, both ideas about the multiverse stem from the same theoretical physics, string theory.

Interesting.

*sips redbull*

Yeah that's good.

Thanks. One reason I'm working on this is because I want to write for DC both comics and animation. I want to incorporate Planetary back into the main multiverse because it's just forgotten about it. I want to write a series called The Monitor, about the Monitors and the multiverse, which intersects with Planetary's kind of "bigger picture" story.

This is about establishing a narrative framework for the whole universe so DC and the audience knows "where" these stories take place. So even if some other writer wants to make there own story with their own universe, it can be placed somewhere like Earth XYZ or one of the Infinite Earths between Earth [X] and [Y]. But it's closer to whichever continuity they are basing it on.

Hell I'd use a different numbering system. Between Earth 1 and Earth 2 is Earth 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.323, 1.4, etc, etc... In order to be a different numbered earth it just has to be different somehow, so each of The Infinite Earths is just a smaller change leading to a completely different universe/earth with similar properties/characters.

All these Earths are in The Bleed too, I have to mention that. The Bleed is such a great and cool concept that DC/Wildstorm has. Because not only does it make logical sense, but it makes artistic sense. The Bleed looks a certain way, it's drawn a certain way, you know exactly what it is when you SEE IT.

Semi related?

Ending wasn't great, but apart from that... Yes, very.

The series is pretty good, the FF hate seems a little misplaced.

Its weird how there isnt any heroic Kirby rep at all. He even has the evil FF empowered by an Apololips expy.

For a comic ostensibly about the superhero genre and it's development from pulp fiction there is very little positive superhero rep. If anything it seems to state that superheroes are a terrible concept that need to be destroyed.

There's Not!Captain Marvel and the presentation of the murders of the Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern expies as a tragedy, but otherwise that's pretty accurate.

The weird part is that it repeatedly shows and states that both the pulp heroes and the Planetary crew are practically amoral, authoritarian, elitist bastards but presents them as a good thing.

It's pretty good.

However it took like a decade to finish and the writer and some shit happen during it and you can tell he lost he spark with it towards the last 7 or so issues.

I wonder if it didn't get all the delays and if he didn't lose his drive for it what else we could have gotten. There were some dangling plot lines too with some quick answers that didn't feel satisfying

IIRC Ellis got the idea of the Snowflake from talking with Morrison.

>Hell I'd use a different numbering system. Between Earth 1 and Earth 2 is Earth 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.323, 1.4, etc, etc... In order to be a different numbered earth it just has to be different somehow, so each of The Infinite Earths is just a smaller change leading to a completely different universe/earth with similar properties/characters.

Honestly that's not a bad idea. I think some fans did that at one point. It would allow the opportunity to do variations of an Earth.

The thing is Planetary was planned to be his last superhero story. But I think he ended up realizing his work sold more when he had a new superhero project out which led to him doing stuff for Marvel, including a run on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

I think he eventually had a respect for Kirby's drive to do different genres but doesn't care much for the superhero stuff.

This.
I am the only one getting cyber punk vibes with that suit?

Really? That's awesome! That means this could definitely work and they will be willing to listen to adopting the system. Speaking of Morrison this structure I'm coming up with allows for visual travel through the multiverse, gives it a more 3d/4d dimensional feel. I want the Monitors using the Carriers like Multiversity said but never SHOWED. So when Monitor 2 wants to go visit Monitor 34 he has to drive his ship along the Infinite Earth lines through this universe and that until he gets to Universe 34's location. So it can drawn/animated to show the Carrier/Shiftship driving through the Bleed with different earths passing by.

This explains why certain universes interact more than others, because their physical positions are literally closer or further apart.

Oh and the Infinite Earths/Parrell Lines are TIME LINES. Everyone talks about timelines shifting but they don't give a good physical image of what that means. But this system would SHOW it. All these Earths are moving along these timelines, if you want to change your universe you have to slide your time line. Want Earth 32 to be more like Earth 12? Well you have to link the timelines closer... Something like that.

>It would allow the opportunity to do variations of an Earth.

Yeah that's the whole point, you're getting the best of both concepts. You'd have established universes and you'd have the opportunity to branch off established universes. You also can destroy an earth or universe and just have it replaced by the next one in line. So if DC decides it doesn't like Earth 45 or something, they can nuke it and replace it with the next Infinite Earth in line. Earth 44.999999999999999999999 becomes the new Earth 45.

The Monitors are the ones who do the numbering and keep track of this all. So the audience and readers get editorial's voices and explanation in-universe through The Monitors.

Thanks for reading my stuff anons, I didn't want to hijack this thread but I wanted to pitch the ideas to people who knew about Planetary and The Snowflake Pattern since a lot of anons and DC comic fans don't know about it.

You did an excellent job ordering your ideas and they are very interesting. Good job user.

Stellar but the pacing is fucked.

There's literally a moment where Drummer says, "Strap in cause you're about to get a fuck ton of shitty exposition" and then explains the entire premise and backstory of the evil F4 and you're supposed to know that the rest of the comic is about them somehow when 99% up until then was one and done stories.

I think it was less about how superheroes are the worst thing ever, and more about how they have a stranglehold on the medium, other genres and stories getting lost among them.

>Really? That's awesome!

I can't say for certain if he did though. It's been a long time since I read some of those articles and I may be thinking about Ellis describing Morrison's description of Hypertime. But I know he and Morrison and Millar were talking on a regular basis back in the 90's, and the Snowflake is not that far off from Hypertime.

I agree. There's this insanely fleshed out universe but when it comes to actually telling a story it just ends being a big pile of meh.

hell yes

Nah! What you are registering as staleness I INTERPRETED AS A KIND of maturity like cheese or whine.
Toward the end the long tale swoop gives the last couple of events space to flourish naratively. The issue where Elijah visits the riot grrl Dr Strange Fate was never going to be as exiting as the two issues for Not!The_Thing with all the angels and the dead giant but BUT the SLOWER issues contextualized the rest. I could use a map of the multiverse personally and The Planetary team are the most suited for the J.O.B.

Nicked the pic by accident