While it's given minor shoutouts and nods in other media sometimes...

While it's given minor shoutouts and nods in other media sometimes, why is The Batman largely seen as the ultimate black sheep of Batman cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M
youtube.com/watch?v=4rgKDtueytA
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

came out at that time when a lot of other properties were rebooted and everyone was like NOT MUH BATMAN!

Kid me loved the show of course, even if I eventually became more of a fan of TAS in later years, still The Batman is a huge part of my love for Batman.

It is? I thought Beware was

>Best Clayface
>Best Dr Strange
>Best Batgirl and Robin arcs

All dat continuity was just fucking awesome. Villains and new characters had actual build up.

Also I like the Joker, his kinda a circus freak vibe I really dug.

Yeah. The Batman still gets acknowledged by DC from time to time as existing. DC pretends Beware doesn't exist, aside from Magpie's design.

It sucks, since I thought it was the stronger show of the two.

It came between two highly regarded incarnations of the character in B:TAS and Brave and the Bold, had a weird artstyle compared to most shows, and made some choices with the Rogue's Gallery that weren't well-received.

That would require that people care about Beware the Batman.

The soundtrack was so damn good, loved this show as a kid

>That would require that people care about Beware the Batman.

It probably had the worst timing for it to come out: CN was throwing a tantrum and kicking out all the action cartoons from the channel, people were tired of Batman cartoons, people were were using it as a scapegoat for Young Justice and Green Lantern's cancellation, autistic Batfags screeching about NOT MUH BATMAN, online streaming not being too popular just yet, etc.

Not to mention it didn't get more time to grown on people like The Batman and Brave and the Bold did, as well as WB's insistence on putting out CGI action shows. I didn't mind the CGI, but a lot of other people did.

It came out when I was in highschool and it felt like a "kiddie" version of Batman. Batman TAS was pretty mature at times fore a show I watched as an 8 year old. The Batman made that contrast obvious.

I also didn't like how Batman used a smartphone and how all his tech had glowing blue tron lights. Felt like a decision made by a board of directors "make sure Batman is tech savvy and current."

I've watched the show since I was a teenager and I actually like it a lot. Way more than Brave and the Bold.

ALSO I'm pretty sure most people who hate The Batman are Joker-fags and don't like this incarnation because he's not a boring-ass dude in a purple suit. I like it more.

It doesn't count when no-one remembers it.

>autistic Batfags screeching about NOT MUH BATMAN

What's hilarious is that they still do this after Brave and the Bold came out and called them out on this.

youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M

Well, it's responsible for the Bat-Embargo for one thing.

lots of tasteless people in the world

Best Batgirl

Also, Babs/Ivy > Harley/Ivy

Not really. It's WB's own corporate stupidity by giving favor to the movies over what characters they can use. The Batman was forbidden from using Two-Face, Scarecrow, and Ra's al Ghul.

Cartoons are no longer affected by this thanks to Johns, but they're still pulling this shit in live action between the CW shows, Gotham, and the newer movies.

>Dr Strange

My take is that the ideal Batman show would have the writing of BTAS and the designs of TB.

It was a pretty hit-and-miss show. It did rather a lot right, but when it missed it missed big-time.

I keep meaning to make a rec list of TB episodes to watch...
That's a low hurdle to jump and you know it.

Well, he's technically correct.
The best kind of correct.
Best Babsgirl. Cass and Steph are better.

yeah, I agree. I liked their Joker, I just wish he at least wore shoes.
youtube.com/watch?v=4rgKDtueytA

My man! Best Batgirls indeed.

Sup Forums seems to really love Beware the Batman - I tried the first ep and wasn't feeling it, Any episodes recommended to try to get back in?

>Sup Forums seems to really love Beware the Batman
What? No, they just want to fuck Magpie. Sup Forums as a whole hates it.

It's hard to recommend episodes, since the show becomes more serialized later on and there's a couple of major arcs running throughout the season, but episode seven is when things really kick off. I also personally enjoy the Magpie episodes, one of which is literally the second episode.

The second half of the series is also more consistent in general.

Well, anyone who does like the show have good eps to recommend?

Stray Bat

It was unfairly reduced to and then judged by it's biggest mistakes.
I really think they just fucked up on the Joker and Penguinn having these Kung-Fu abilities and the Jokers design. And that unfortunately kind of spoiled the rest of the show for others even though it was extremely solid all around.

Wait, what? I thought it was great.

One complaint that keeps getting bought up is the character designs, like gorilla Joker and goth Riddler, they're all very unconventional designs and the way some of them were written turned a lot of people off too. Like Mr. Freeze being a common thug who lucked out and got ice powers.

I personally love the character designs. Especially Riddler, Bane and Clayface's.

> mr freeze a common thug

that's what he was before TAS though

>I also didn't like how Batman used a smartphone

Imagine being this autistic.

Mr. Freeze was a common thug for 25 years. I wasn't so big on the Bane design, but I loved everything else. I loved that Killer Croc actually had a Cajun accent.

Secrets, Broken, Toxic, Family, Sacrifice, Attraction, Fall, and then the entire second half except for maybe Unique.

As mentioned, the show has some overarching stuff, so it might be easy to get lost from nitpicked episodes, even with the Previously On segments.

Yeah but it's a fact that people prefer Freeze as a sympathetic monster who wants to cure his wife of her disease that TAS re-vamped him to be.

People commonly bring up how they portrayed Mr. Freeze in this show but it's obvious they were just trying to do their own thing.

Joker and Penguin were genuine weaknesses, though, moreso Penguin. They were loud and obnoxious, and brought nothing interesting to the show. Worse, they would show up way too often, and rob potential storylines from one-shot and underused villains that could've used them.

Again, at least Joker can have a fun story here and there. Penguin was just bad.

>disliking Team Penguin

>why is The Batman largely seen as the ultimate black sheep of Batman cartoons?
probably because it was the first non-DCAU cartoon to focus on Batman in more than a decade

/fit/ Batgirl is best Batgirl

Man, you have no idea. At the time, people were finding any and every reason to hate the show, just because it wasn't in the DCAU and was blamed for the Bat-Embargo. They would complain about shit like Batman using a smart phone, eating nachos and playing basketball. They would constantly complain about it being kiddy and then turn around and complain about Batman vs Dracula being too edgy. The show had it's fair share of problems, but people were a bit too hard on it at the time.

I got that reference.

>ultimate black sheep of Batman cartoons
>Not Beware the Premature Cancellation

>loved this show as a kid

You must be 18 year or old....oh fuck. Has it really been that long?

idk, it was a pretty solid show

Pretty sure this show was the reason we did not see Batgirl in JLU. There were plans to turn her into Oracle and do Birds of Prey on the show but Timm and company couldn't touch Babs because of this show.

Yeah, but again, that's not the show's fault. That's WB for having retarded policies.

Besdies, who gives a shit if we didn't have Batman stuff in JLU? It was about the greater DC universe. The more reigned in Timm's Bat-boner is, the better.

I'm kind of disappointed nothing from The Batman was added to main canon. Beware gave us that great Magpie design, I just wish DAVE would have been added as well. What's cool about DAVE is that even though he's an insane AI, he's not the run of the mill network/Skynet we usually see. He thinks he's an actual villain, and doesn't even acknowledge his mechanical nature

I really liked their version of Batgirl though, and it would have been interesting to see what she was up to during JLU.

They added Scorn, but more as disposable mercenaries that Wrath uses.

I agree with you regarding DAVE, though.

>Wrath
Oh yeah, the worst Anti-Batman of the bunch. Really added to the mythos

Without giving anything away, the one where Katana joins the Bat-team at the end.

Beware had the best Babs.

Yeah, I don't know why The Batman used him, out of all the anti-Batmen around. Worst thing about him is basically stealing Killer Moth's thing as the protector of criminals.

One of the few recent times where Tara Strong didn't sound incredibly shrill.

this

But DAVE it's just alternate Magpie. Really look on that 'threehawk' and 'feathers on shoulders'. kek look on scene DAVE birth on factory.

>worst anti-batman
>not autistic gay Prometheus

Don't forget about the shooting and how they had to delay the show and waste extra money on changing the guns.