Robots

Why is it never discussed here? The art style was original, it was funny and clever. Why so underrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7MQMtBSswMk
youtube.com/watch?v=hGooRB54360
youtube.com/watch?v=2TNHByNL-Mo&ab_channel=Sorenova
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love this movie but one time I watched a review by this "Blockbuster Buster" guy who acted like it was the spawn of satan and that every celebrity voice actor was somehow a fuck you to the audience

That review of his on Robots really turned me off from his videos.

I never understood what was wrong with it. It's generic in a sense but it's still entertaining and a unique robot world setting.

It came out when I was in 6th grade, so I can't enjoy it due to war flashbacks.

Movie was a classic. But also feels early 2000's. Which is good.

It just wasn't very memorable at a time where there were better CG movies around.

It scared the shit out of me. The designs were so "dirty" and uncanny valley for my taste.

I still think I used to own a copy. I watched the shit outta this.
youtube.com/watch?v=7MQMtBSswMk

Robin Williams is dead.

There's a lot of boring fart jokes, but there's a good mix of adult ones. Setting was really cool

Really meh movie overall, but has some nice art and a few good gags. Domino scene kicked ass.

My theory:

People have only so much space in their hearts to fit every single good movie ever made. Some movies come out at the wrong time, when no one wants them.

The movie is good.

This is a movie where the poor are kidnapped by giant machines and torn apart to make products for the rich. This is just like, a thing that happens in this world.

>The art style was original,

Are you being serious right now?

Are you fucking retarded

its aged better than expected
animation wise and humor wise
but the humor is still pretty bad at times

When the red robot was dressed as a Viking he had a Lance of Longinus from NGE.

>admits to watching TGWTG
Do you have autism or something

If you know who that is, you just admitted to watching TGWTG as well. Do you have autism or something?

Nice deflection, tard

Kids, kids, stop fighting

It was a good movie, it was just incredibly unremarkable is all.

It came out on my birthday and I love robots
so win win
youtube.com/watch?v=hGooRB54360

>Jenny invented blue robots

The film itself wasn't really that great.
Robots came immediately in a post Shrek/Shrek 2 world and boy does it show with pop culture references, low brow fart jokes and failed attempts at satire (But actually scratch that last in the context of this film. I thought the satire in this film was pretty decent).

>I watched a review by this "Blockbuster Buster" guy

Well there's your problem.

Good movie. Nothing exceptionally amazing or worthy of a sequel, no matter how much I want one, But I enjoyed it.

The characters are real bad. They're either complete one note gags or the most boring stock archetypes possible, with no thought put into them or their lives. The setting is unique but doesn't seem to have any logic behind it outside of "Mechanical Oz sort of", so it's just a bunch of cool visuals that never really come together. The plotline is completely forgettable and mostly hinges on people not acting to solve incredibly easy problems.

There's a quarter of a good movie in there, but it's mostly just gags that stick. And for every gag that sticks, there's two that don't.

Oh yeah me too

> I miss Robin Williams

Honestly I think you nailed it user

>the art style was original
I guess. I don't think it wowed many people though. For contrast, Rango is a film I think has lackluster comedy and plot, but whose art style elevated it to a worthwhile film.

>it was funny and clever
My mistake. We must be referring to different films.

I can't remember what he plot of this movie was. All I know is that the blue robot idolized some roly poly business robot and then that robot was a jerk or something.

Fuck dammit user

it scared me as a child.

>You see a robot version sid the sloth in that scene

>the dad ending scene

The first half of robots is on par with any Pixar movie. It literally falls to pieces roughly when they get thrown out of the party, the upgraded office chick randomly takes the MC to Bigweld who is convinced to take back his company with one weakass speech from the MC. But up until that the movie is pure fucking joy and REALLY well put together. I rewatched it recently and actually got really mad at how it feels like two different films and the halfway point just totally fucks up.

Like they had a solid premise, great taglines "see a need, fill a need" and great characters. Robin Williams is really good in it "They had this giant hammer! ..oh they brought it back." But then again at the halfway point he becomes pointlessly random with shit like the hopelessly out of date britney spears reference? It really feels like they had two teams work on the movie. If they'd just tightened up the story first in the scripting phase they'd have been golden. It's one animated movie that DESERVES it's dance party ending, unlike anything dreamworks ever did.

Well shit

This movie was good from what I remember, but given the fact that it's a non-Ice Age 1, Peanuts, or Horton Blue Sky movie, it's probably not the best

I already knew he was a big NGE fan, but I never caught that in the movie. Granted it's been years since I've watched it.

youtube.com/watch?v=2TNHByNL-Mo&ab_channel=Sorenova

now I'll be forever wondering if that was Robin's idea, or if someone on the crew did it as a nod to Robin liking that series

One of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

I saw it in theaters about 20 times before buying the DVD.

Mediocre overall, too many jokes that don't land, terrible love interest, all-star voice cast that doesn't get utilized properly, not even Robin Williams' presence can elevate it beyond passable. This user nailed it.

I loved how the setting felt like a giant Rube Goldberg machine. That scene with the hamster wheels is still fun to watch. I’m also sucker for any story with robots.

However, the film does feels half baked. The visuals are good and the basic set up for a good story is there, but the characters and the way the story was executed feel like the studio wrote up the first draft and called it a day. But despite that, it’s still guilty pleasure for me.

On a slightly unrelated note. What Walmart would sell action figures of Evangelion? Comic and hobby shops I get, but not fucking walmart.

Whenever I see a picture of this movie it reminds me of that feeling of being a kid and it’s a Sunday evening and you have school tomorrow but you aren’t ready because you haven’t had any fun all weekend and next Friday is so far away and your hands are dry and it’s a gross feeling you can’t quite describe yet and you don’t know that lotion gets rid of the dry feeling.

half baked really sums up it's issues, it's so choppy you could forget whole segments of the film and the story goes on the same.

...is this from Robots as well?

I love this movie, the characters, the designs, the setting, art style, but I've never understood the plot.

What's the point of purposely outmoding robots? I mean, to use their metal as scrap to produce new parts for rich robots, but at a certain point you're just mass murdering people, and even ignoring a rebellion caused by that, if most of the population is gone who are you even going to sell the parts to in the future?

1 Hour Photo, he plays a serial killer and calls the Mass Production Evas the good guys.

Action figures of mass produced eva models marketed as "the good guys" of all things.

It's a half-baked commentary on planned obsolescence and the obsession with staying new and trendy.

I've unironically wondered the same thing about Shark Tale.

I unironically liked Sharktale when I was a kid, no matter what the snobby reviewers say

>THAT FUCKING LOGO ON THE BOX

Ahead of it's time.

Imagine being this autistic.

bait or not you just summoned my autism and compelled my second crack ship.

This movie is a fucking 9/10.

ROBOT OBI WAN HAVING WACKY ADVENTURES WITH ROBIN WILLIAMS IS THE BEST THING THAT BLUE SKY HAS MADE

The art style holds up better than anything else of the time though

I have a robot fetish so it has a spot in my heart. I also love the villains, the crazy mother/son duo just works.

Holy shit toontown