Why did stylish 2D animation practically die in the west? Or America at the very least

Why did stylish 2D animation practically die in the west? Or America at the very least.
Somehow I have something of a hard time imagining something video related ever being animated the way our industry looks now.

In America animation is just a tool to make money off of extended property. (Games, toys, etc). So putting the art in animation would be something else entirely.

Also as a byproduct of multiple underperforming films, big studios like Dreamworks and Disney just weren't willing to take the risk on 2D animation anymore. Not when 3D was becoming cheaper than ever to make. Though I personally don't know how truthful that is.

There's also the fact that 3D animation started out as more of a novelty, and a spectacle to come to the theaters to watch. Toy Story for its time was crazy, and probably was a big part of this craze. Then you had blockbuster hits like Shrek shoring up this mindset, and the floodgates opened. I think in the end though, it cheapened the entire medium. When everything's 3D, nothing's really unique. Besides like, Laika Films.

In Japan, 2D animation is to sell toys.

Not as extensively as America.

it's coming back this summer

Different markets and marketplaces.

Why is this a question?

The example you used is a show about piloting mechs through girl's asses.

Now I need a source.

I don't see a problem

for the same reason that everything in japan is about generic high schoolers

I like the DC animated movies they can get pretty flashy

Their quality has gone to shit since The Killing Joke adaption.

the difference is that Japan has no problem marketing to adults with disposable income when it comes to animated series and now most of the shit that isn't for little kids gets made for otaku and neets.

in America, the only cartoons that market merchandise to adults in an even remotely similar fashion are family guy, simpsons, and rick and morty.

"Darling in the FRANXX"

>Why is this a question?
Because America used to have the biggest 2d animation industry in the world while also being best at it.

And the market and marketplaces changed and the big powers moved towards 3D animation instead.

The question in the OP was why.

The jews.

Because the market place changed.

American puritical values came down hard on a lot industries. Disney being fairy tales managed to grow and survive despite it which is a very reductive way to put it and attempts at mature animations with detail and love didn't sell.

On the other hand film in America flourished. For as oversaturated summer Blockbusters are, Cinema is still an amazing thing.

They didn't have Japanese slaves to spare. The animation industry, as with the others, is now focused on farting out new stuff for people to woo about. They don't have time to spare on something as time consuming as that.

Justice League Dark was great though

Darling in the FranXX. New mech show by ex-Gainax staff.
It's kind of what you'd expect so far if you've watched Gainax's shows. But if you liked those shows then this should be interesting.

Also the main characters are basically implied to be boning each other's minds, and have the kinds of problems that come with people who aren't sexually compatible with one another.

((((((Them)))))))

>I thought it was by trigger?
>Holy shit they're trying hard to replicate the waifu fest of Evegelion.

We should find a millionaire who really likes cartoons and is willing to use his leftover money to fund 2D animation, just like Nike does with stop-motion (Laika).

Trigger is mostly ex-Gainax. The ones who didn't go to Khara anyways. Gainax is mostly a shell of it's old self nowadays.

>New mech show
>mech show
>mech
/m/ has already agreed that the show is a piece of shit. the oonly thing it has going for its the milsound burst of animation quality and like 1/8 of the mech designs vectors not depicted with the eyes mouth and faces.

yet another season of no mecha. atleast the 2 thunderbolt movie was good

>not watching shinkalion
fucking pleb

>/m/ has already agreed
>/m/
>agreeing
In your dreams perhaps.

>ooh hair blowing in the wind!
Cliche as fuck. If that's supposed to be "style" then your standards are fucking low.