What are you gonna do now?

LOOK OUT LOOK OUT THE OLD MAAAAAAAAN OF THE MOUNTAIN

"I'm about to do the best I can."
- Old Man of the Mountain/Oogie Boogie

YOU GOT TO HEE DE HEE

Minnie the Moocher > Old Man of the Mountain

OOOH GIVE ME ANOTHER SHOT OF THAT BOOOooooOOOOOooOOOOOZE

You Got To Kick The GOOOooong to get aLOng with me

>Great dancer, great conductor, composer, scat singer, jazz improvizer, comedian, knew how to play a crowd perfectly
Why aren't entertainers like this anymore? They all feel like amateurs now

SHOWED HER HOW TO KICK THE GONG AROUND

The demanding show environment that produced them doesn't really exist anymore. It's like how a lot of popular singers these days can't sing, because you don't need to be able to sing to lip sync and run autotune.
Having to fine-tune your abilities in front of demanding crowds, every week, just for your livelihood is a lot of pressure, but also gives a lot of feedback on what you're doing that allows you to hone your craft. The grueling schedule at The Cave is what made the Beatles so good at what they did, for instance.

HIS CARES ARE NONE AND HE FEARS NO ONE

I think you guys have a bit of a narrow perspective on the era when Cab was popular.

Musicians back then did a lot of shows in bars and restaurants for relatively small audiences. And yeah, they had to really work hard to earn their paychecks but they also didn't do really demanding marathon singing sessions and concerts.
Cab's backup band would play for a few hours and be the evening entertainment while they'd rotate around band members. Cab was the MC. He would sing a few songs that we'd consider short these days (1-3 minutes max). Cab wouldn't spend the whole evening singing as that would completely fuck up his voice.

You can listen to some of the records he and his backup band did. 70% of it is pure instrumental music, and this is with them being considered a vocalist band. Some tracks are the band playing for a minute straight, cab singing a few verses, and then another minute of instrumental.

That's totally different than what vocalists have to do today.

THIS WILL BE A WORLD-CLASS BOUT!

NOW GO!

>Cab wouldn't spend the whole evening singing

Show me where anybody said he did? He was a consummate showman who did a little bit of everything.

Nowadays if you go to a concert or a show you expect the frontman to blast out for their entire 1-2 hour set. Cab would sing for a total of maybe 20-30 minutes an entire evening.

I don't even think that's even close to the other dude's point. He was touching on how Vaudevillian showmanship is dead. Hell, Barnum & Bailey just closed their doors this past year.

I wonder how a Cuphead-esque fight against the Old Man would go

Exactly. It's not about singing, it's about the workaday environment of the era where he got in loads of stage time to hone various crafts and become that sort of multitalented entertainer.

>You've got to kick the gong, to get along with me!
Kick the gong: To smoke opium