Paying to read a freely available webcomic and having to wait months or even years to continue reading even though you...

>Paying to read a freely available webcomic and having to wait months or even years to continue reading even though you new pages come out every week (assuming there's no hiatus, which lets face it is basically impossible with webcomics)
I don't get it, what's the logic behind buying physical copies of webcomics?

Financially supporting the creator of a work you like you dingus

because you want to support the author but you don't have money to donate to a patreon every month?

>Can't spare like $5 a month supporting the artist, but can drop what can be anywhere from $25 to $55 all at once for a standard edition book, or even multiple books
Wut?

>Just realized the thing above the face is basically a funky way of spelling 'ava'

Huh

To shill the comic on your aunt or grandma, because they don't know how to internet or set up RSS feeds for update alerts.

I dont get what the problem is. If someone really likes a webcomic then a physical copy would be nice collector item to them.

I wouldnt mind a physical copy of that ghost girl webcomic, so cute.

You get to support the stories you enjoy, and get a physical book to show off in your home. If Parantural came out a printed version of the pre-kickball pages I would buy it just to keep around and show to my siblings and friends.

Support the author without bullshit like patreon.

>supporting the author by buying merchandise
>getting the independent logistics of that merchandise out of the way actively takes time out of the author's day that they could've put into their comic

Why not make t shirts instead? Or if you want collector's items, go comission a sculptor to make a figure people can buy online that you just send out to a 3d printer farm? That's genuinely less hoops and hurdles to go through than trying to print entire volumes of a comic in full color independently and also ship them.

If you buy print books you are mentally ill

You're an idiot.

>why do people do things I do not do
why are you fucking autistic

I get a pretty nice hardcover thing instead of a non-tangible, plus I hate having multiple things that require monthly payments

Having hard copies of things is nice.

That website may not always be up, but properly stored, the book will be legible for centuries.

I've bought copies of Rice Boy, Kill Six Billion Demons and Unsounded.
Some webcomics lend themselves well to a print format and I'd like to support the authors in some form.

Has there every been a case of a well known and liked webcomic just being pulled off the internet?

Pictures for Sad Children is the closest I can think of.

You buy KSBD before reading it or bought it after just a quick trial/blind?
I'm on the fence about that one, it's published by an actual company, relatively cheap and commonly available, and feels like a legit comic for the most part. Only part the bugs me is if I got really into it the anticipation of having to wait a year for the next book to come out when I know dozens of pages of the new book are already online.

I'm not sure, but the internet isn't as permanent and stable a fixture as people might like to think. It's actually fairly fragile, and only as dependable as it is because society literally depends on it at this point and people are constantly scrambling to keep the infrastructure up and running.

Also, artists tend to not be the most stable people and sometimes decide to destroy their work/remove it from the public eye. That's been a fact since art has existed.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that probably doesn't translate into print very well is Homestuck.

>t-shirts
If you print a book you only have to make one version of your product. Everyone will have the exact same thing. If you make t-shirts, you have to manufacture in different sizes/genders, which can lead to headaches if you order too many/too little of a size or accidentally sending out the wrong size to people.

Plus there's a better chance of people liking the story that they're a fan of than they are liking one particular design of a t-shirt.

And it's easier for a webcomic to market printed books to retailers than it is t-shirts.

>Or if you want collector's items, go comission a sculptor to make a figure people can buy online that you just send out to a 3d printer farm?

Much more complicated and expensive than books.

The art is god-tier and the storyline is wonderful. I just want to see what it looks like on high-quality paper. I feel like I'm supporting this generation's Walt Disney.

Aren’t there some animated portions of the comic and some that have music playing alongside? How’d she handle changing that over to print?

We had many thread about webcomics/website getting nuked to damnation here many times mate and alot of the user didnt properly backup the damn thing

John Allison's three issue online-only Giant Days was removed about the same time the print version (different stories, different artist) appeared. Only available now via libgen.

Some people don't have the same revenue and expenses every months. I've got months where I'm down in the crapper and months with available money to spend on shit I don't actually need.

1. It's easier to promote a physical book. I mean you can go "check out this site" to a friend and it's likely they'll bookmark and forget it. But a book you loan is more likely to be glanced at.
2. You get to support the maker in a way that also gives you something back.
3. Look at that cover? That's a pretty sweet lookin' book.

the maker isn't cutting down trees for paper and making each book by hand you dumb bitch, pretty much all they have to do is come up with a book design and find a company to print it. unless you're making zines the person isn't the one making every single copy

I hate having to scroll down every.fucking.time to see the rest of a page. It breaks my immersion.

I'm curious about that too. Any user that has the book, how do they handle the animated pages/scenes?

>Why do people buy comics when you can just pirate them online?
Same answer with that.

Drowtales has reworked large sections of the story and deleted the first draft. I can't tell you if the reworked stuff is better or not

I haven't seen the Homestuck books myself, but apparently the author picks several still frames from a cutscene and puts that on the page.
4. Teachers are (relatively) more accepting of kids reading a book in class than whipping out their phone.
5. Not everywhere has internet access, and books are less breakable than electronics. I can throw a book in my luggage no problem, but a 100+ dollar phone is not leaving my line of sight.

>I haven't seen the Homestuck
wrong comic user this is the Ava's Demon thread/book

Nimona

I can't speak for webcomics since I got none but I just like to have physical things of stuff that I like.
So I can see why some might want to buy a printed webcomic

Same reason I buy comics I seen storytimes for and really liked

Pictures for Sad Children, Minus, Hiimdaisy's Metal Gear Solid parody comics are the three I can think of right now. Probably a lot more.

OP is like my grandmother asking why anyone would ever buy a movie or watch one they've already seen.

>looking to read a comic but the artist takes more breaks than a whore with asthma

Just throwing money at the comic to keep it going. Or just paying for what you like to get more.

I bought the lower level digital copies and never figured out how to look them up.

Fuck t-shirts
T-shirts are the reason webcomics went to shit

fpbp

I hate clothes as a collectors item. My brother and his family went to new york. And my niece wanted to get me something from the nintendo store. I told her to get me a keychain or anything except clothes. So she got me a t-shirt. I love her but that really annoyed me.

Tshirts have a shitton of overhead and are impossible to get rid of. And figurines are ludicrously expensive to produce.

Meanwhile you can get books printed at $7 a pop and sell them for twice that. They're easy to ship as well.

I only do it for stories I think I'd want to re-read. and that I value enough that I want preserved permanently.

Yeah.
My favorite creator offered a membership (like Patreon) but it gave equivalent credit you could spent towards products.

>new pages come out every week
But that fucks up the pace.

Even so it's pretty much impossible to not get spoiled before the next book comes out if you browse Sup Forums considering there's gonna be a new thread every single time a new page gets posted, even the thumbnail will give you a basic idea of what's happening.
What, you gonna wait a year before discussing the comic, then try to spend a whole year avoiding threads like the plague?

Nah
Michelle's need to micromanage and create kickstarters are what fuck up the pace

She's Jewish. What did you expect?