Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

So what was wrong with it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLJginDfA7U
youtube.com/watch?v=65IsSRMi4i0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is it out?

It came out?
And btw, Sup Forums, the original comic wasn't very good to begin with, so complaining about a 'bad adaptation' means shit.

Youre not very good bitch

>Mignola
>not godlike

Not enough poc according to Den of geeks
>Gotham by Gaslight has literally no characters of color, a lapse in representation that was even more striking when the animation made its world premiere at DC in D.C., an event that otherwise did an impressive job drawing attention to some of the more underrepresented demographics and issues in the comic book world.

>Adapt a Mignola book
>Don't even attempt to copy his artsyle

You didn't even read it bitch

I own it and he's right.

It's just some good Mignola art and a bland story. Not even the best Mignola art out there.

Eat shit

Sure, but the "guy that hates women" thing and the "girl power" undertones they added still felt unnecessary to me

I mean you can do it if you want, but what's even the point if you go back to the damsel in distress trope anyways

That something I hated about All-Star Superman too. At least Dark Knight Returns sort of tries to look like franks work

Mignola hates it when animation studios try to copy his style. they always fuck something up. It was one of his problems with Screw on Head

Oddly enough he didn't mind that the guys from Atlantis were inspired by him, probably because it wasn't a straight up adaptation of his style.

So, who is Jack the Ripper in this adaption? Because it sure as shit isn't Bruce uncle.

Also, anyone got any safe links to watch it online or download the whole thing?

>>Gotham by Gaslight has literally no characters of color,
>Victorian England
>not characters of color
YA DON'T SAY!

After Killing Joke and the last number of years of shitty adaptions, I dunno if I even want to bother.

>but muh doctor who says london was really black for centuries

So far I like this version but they killed off a main villain which was Ivy and then Dent is a complete asshole for no reason

Tim, Dick and Jason are all around the same age and they all know each other BEFORE meeting Bruce and Jason's not even in the circus.

I hope this is just Earth 19 and everything is a bit different.

What pisses me off the most about this is that they are fucking idiots to "modern day" detective work. Bruce is the only real detective there. No one else really seems to care.

"I SAW BRUCE ARGUING WITH THE OLD LADY! HE ALSO KNEW THE OTHER WOMEN! CLEARLY HE KILLED THEM!"
Like who the fuck is this damn stupid?

They weren't awful, if you're tryina compare them to the comics, you're going to fail each time. You gotta remember, their target isn't us (Sup Forums nerds). Their targets are normies. People who have NEVER read a comic in their life. People who wear a batman shirt and go "DUDE BATMAN DARK KNIGHT IS SO COOL!!!"

youtube.com/watch?v=nLJginDfA7U

Also for Batman movie it was kinda meh,i did like the twist and else wasnt complete.

I knew there was a reason I hated that show.

I like that you got four sixes in your post number there

I really like that the M in the title has batman's face

>Jason's not even in the circus.

I thought that was only his original backstory and the modern version was an orphan who stole tires off the Batmobile.

I meant dick mybad

yeah, but he has no involvement of this whatsoever

>say the movie is going to be a fair-play mystery
>have a couple of hints, but they don't connect to the story or characters at all
>only connect after the actual damn reveal

It was a poorly-constructed mystery. Still, it was a pretty fun movie, though. Much better than the last two from this line.

I am not much of a feminist, but the story starting off with Poisson Ivy being a stripper that gets stabbed multiple times by not Jack the Ripper?

Twitter will have a day with it.

Also LOL, Jason with the pipe/crowbar expy

It's not really inspiration when he was directly involved with the production.

If you must know, it's James Gordon.

kimcartoons has it up

user, if he's having to ask, do you think the dude knows what kimcartoons is?

I disagree. The clues were subtle, but they were there. I put the pieces together once Bruce was arrested.

>uhhh we have a Harley Quinn expy
>there's a little boy character too
>let's have the same woman voice both of them in the same film, no one will notice
It's time to stop

What were they?

There were none before Bruce's arrest. They even show his wife's face without the burns in a dream sequence. I guess we should've assumed it was scarred IRL?

The thing that gets me is that they show traits that the killer has (hunting, surgical precision, education, fighting), but there's nothing specific to any of the culprits. Nothing that would allow the viewer to put it together. When the reveal comes, it's all slapped together to the killer, but it feels cheap because none of them could be feasibly connected until then.

Here's my autistic nitpick
Jack the Ripper was an amateur hack, which they tried to disguise by making him this badass hand-to-hand combatant.
The way he killed (which was just randomly stabbing) is bound to leave blood stains all over his clothes

Hellboy DVD movies' art-design made by character designer of Spectacular Spider-man were fine

Meh

Gordon's dream sequence about losing his wife to the ripper. It shows he's worried about succumbing to his psychosis and murdering her. "This house is my sanctuary."
His desire to clean up the filth in the city.
He matches the build—6'3", 250 lbs.
Was at the funeral so he knew where Bruce would meet Hugo and Harley that night.
Couldn't be Bullock because he was chasing Batman and Jack while they were on the blimp.
Couldn't be Dent because he was passed out drunk when Leslie was murdered.
And finally his cold and callous rejection of Bruce as he pleads to Gordon about his innocence when Gordon knows Bruce would never murder Leslie.

Not a whole lot but it was enough for me to be responsibly sure it was Gordon before the reveal.

Why is the BBC's version of diverse always 50% white, 25% indian/pakistani/arab and 25% black anyway? They literally hate East Asia. Even on their website, the only stories you see are "East Asia is so repressive/wacky"

See The only memorable thing about Gotham by Gaslight is the Mignola art style and they didn't even adapt that.

The Doom That Came to Gotham is far superior.

To be fair, it's also subpar Mongola. Literally, one of the lesser mignola artstyles among the many mignola works

So I just skipped through the movie a bit and wondered why the art style was so generic. this rather looks like a TAS episode than the original book. why wouldn't they keep some kind of 19th century aesthetics?

I never read the comic. To be honest, I've never really been big on Batman to begin with, but I do read some of the more popular comics from time to time.

But I hated;
>heavy girl power undertones
>muh oppressed women (yes, I get the time period, but I didn't watch it for this shit, I watched it for Batman)
>too much cat woman, who does nothing for the story
>Gordon is the badguy wtf? Fucking stupid.
>not enough Batman just being Batman, too much Bruce shit, that again does nothing for the story
It was just all around boring.

I was expecting them to make the Ripper into Joker or have a Harley pandering cameo. Thankfully, they didn’t lower themselves to that.

I absolutely hated it. It was bad. Really bad. The animation was piss poor and looked like a TV episode. It spent way too much time on Cat Woman, who did literally nothing and added absolutely nothing to the story. Too much Women Suffrage bullshit, which again, adds nothing to Batmans story, in a movie about Batman.
The twist was shit as well. It's not like I didn't see it, it's just that it was stupid. Gordon the Ripper? Really? Really? Why? That's just stupid.

I don't even understand what they were trying to accomplish with this movie. You could cut it down to thirty minutes and you'd likely not miss out on anything.

What a piece of trash. I wish I could get that time back.

You all realize the original story also dealt with misogyny right? Jack there also had a pathological hatred of women and ranted about them being bitches and whores because they rejected him.

this.
so far its slow, bit cheap and the setting does not speak to me. I wish they picked another elseworld

>underrepresented demographics and issues
whores? its the basic ripper plot, what are they on about

That's not the problem though. We get that, it's just that, as has already been said, Cat Woman adds absolutely nothing to the story. Cutting her, and her dialogue out completely changes practically nothing.
She isn't needed, nor is any of the political crap needed.
We watched it for Batman and his fight against the Ripper.

Hell, they could have even added all the pro-woman shit in a better light by putting in more scenes with the Ripper and having his edgy shit seen as disgusting.

Twitter can eat a dick. you can quote me on that

his outburst at the fair

Its ANOTHER fucking Batman movie

So the original story was Persona 4?

>Catwoman
What is her deal? Why did they make her a cunt? both of them almost get killed and she goes all "stop white knighting me, I can take care of myself". They even gave her a save return (when bats saves her she saves him back) was the writer of 2 minds?

I wonder how many people will mix up jims wife with his daughter ?

I expected to see a lot more
>Ivy will never whore herself to you for drug money
>why even live
if we don't shove Batman into absolutely everything then how would these movie ever sell.

All I want is a blue beetle movie but I know that they're gonna make Batman a central character.

Probably less than you’d think, due to Gotham.

>if it were men being targeted they would hire an army
in what world are men not the disposable gender?

and that army would mostly be men because, well, we all know.

>the original comic wasn't very good

That's less on the Studio and more that Mignola is a massive perfectionist.

>You could cut it down to thirty minutes and you'd likely not miss out on anything

Wow.
This is exactly what I usually do.
I take DC movies, I edit/cut them, make a shorter version, and I show them to my normie friends that aren't into comics or superheroes.

They even enjoy them.

Did that with Batman&Harley (left out useless/embarrassing scenes), Killing Joke (removed the Batgirl plot), Man of Steel (from 2.5 hours to 1 hour) and Batman V Superman (removed half the movie basically)

Pretty sure I'll do Gaslight too.

He wasn't involved at first, user.

>Did that with Batman&Harley (left out useless/embarrassing scenes)
> (left out useless/embarrassing scenes)

So they watched a 30-minute video?

Yes, I told them it was a Batman TV episode.
They liked it

Kek

>The Doom That Came to Gotham is far superior.
I wanted to like Doom and loved the aesthetic, but the whole story just feels so unfocused that I've never been able to list among my favorites

Because those are the most common minorities in England? Not sure what you're expecting.

How autistic are you

Dunno, probably a little

But I think it's more about
>the fact I'm half good with editing software (because of my job)
>the fact I'm into DC comics
>the fact that my friends aren't
>the fact DC movies aren't that good
You know what, never mind, I re-read this very post and it's in fact pretty autistic

I want a faithful adaptation of 2006 Jaime. Every single adaptation has fucked up immensely.

For real. The Scooby/Brave and the Bold movie, of all things, had a more satisfying mystery.

At least you're putting your autism to good use and not uploading sonic oc' s to deviant art.

Why can't they just do a fucking basic adaptation? Fuck Young Justice, Fuck the teen titan they didn't make Blue beetle good.

What's wrong about the identity of the killer? Who would you have preferred?

Brave and the Bold did pretty good.

They didn't really explore his supporting cast that much. They had Paco, but he also didn't know his secret identity, which misses the point about what makes Jaime's supporting cast so refreshing.

Also, I don't like Will Friedle's voice. It was literally just Ron Stoppable.

>tfw my gf cosplays as Ivy

She's gonna love this.

Probably the best one they’ve made in 5 years.

Seriously you do understand this movie doesn’t take place in 2018?

There were two animated Hellboy movies, so why don't team up for Batman-Hellboy-Starman? It seems like a win-win deal.

I think Superman/Batman: Public enemies is the only one to do the imitation good, others just went with heneral animated DC look and had their production values way too low.

That's the first use of the term "misogyny" in a proper context I've seen in months. Thanks.

I liked it and actually didn't mind the changes made to the source material. But I'll be first to admit that it's a "bit" contrived, the nightmare scene is rather contradictory to the plot, the twist really comes out of nowhere. They could've think on it more.

What I have a problem with is the animation and its absolute lack of any kind of flair. This setting should ooze atmosphere with deep shadows and contrasting lights in the fog and yet it's so bland. Even the palette is hideous. DC animations get progressively worse instead of getting better.

As for the "feminist agenda"... attempts at inserting "grill powur" backfired horribly and Catwoman's just a more stuck up damsel in distress which is as hilarious as it is refreshing.

>Sure, but the "guy that hates women" thing and the "girl power" undertones they added still felt unnecessary to me
ah so it's a Sup Forums clown upset

But user, Assault on Arkham came out in 2014

Another user here. The antagonist is a woman-hater, he's a straight up murderous psychotic villain. Where's the need for "guhrl powuh"? Especially if it falls flat on its face and makes Catwoman look useless and ridiculous?

Reminder that they were going to make a game out of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=65IsSRMi4i0

Also, the movie sucks and the animation looks cheap.
Just like The Killing Joke

its the best dc animated movie in a while

im just tired of her voice in general. Noticing voice actors playing too many roles is one of the main things that's made me grow away from most cartoons.

can somebody spoonfeed me a bit here on where to look for a download?
I haven't been torrenting shit since before TPB shut down and can't find a magnet on any of the half assed torrent sites that come up just from googling

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:3001064a4988e99bc1381c38b1c4023eb82176af&dn=Batman.Gotham.by.Gaslight.2018.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-FGT&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.trackerfix.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.me%3A2710&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.to%3A2710

rarbg.to always has everything when it comes to movies and tv shows

Much more spoonfeeding than I was expecting. Thanks pal.