Rebecca Sugar

Rebecca Sugar
>Let's her crew have immense creative freedom

Alex Hirsch
>Micromanaged every aspect of the show

Both shows were made by young artists who never had prior showrunning experience. In the end, who do you think did a better job?

How is this a contest?

Gravity Falls is the only great cartoon of the 2010s. It's the one gem in a sea of utter shit.

You know the obvious answer user...

Gravity Falls, obviously, and I love SU

Makes me wonder how much better Steven Universe would be if it was directed by a man.

It would be OK KO.

Indeed, but only one quit in the middle of the story. .

Gravity Fall only lost steam towards the end and even then it was still above mediocre. Steven Universe isn’t funny, has been in a downward spiral with lazy animation, and uses flimsy emotional moments and “lore” to make it seem like it has substance. Yes I have watched all of SU that has aired so far and the only characters I actually get enjoyment watching are Greg and Garnet.

But there's barely ANY lore to see, it's ether feels or townie filler now with SU.

Sugar managed to get past season 2
and she still has a job

Sugar hasn’t tried to force an ending and had to be coaxed to keep the show going beyond a single season. Sugar (as much as I tire of townie episodes) has taken time to explore and describe the shows universe and the characters that inhabit it. Sugar also didn’t burden herself with too much work and was able to get her own show without being connected to the CalArts network.

For all Sugar’s flaws, I’d much rather her run my show than Hirsch.

by a white man
then it might have been good

The answer is obvious. As always, absolutism is superior to anarchism.

Loud House

Maybe if Sugar didn't let her crew have so much freedom her show wouldn't look so inconsistent and half-assed.

They need to start focusing on moving forward with the main plot lore or things will become stagnant and already more repetitive.
>Post more Yellow mum please?

>taken time to explore and describe the shows universe
No, she's not "taken the time" in the regard as you're saying it, she clearly is padding this shit out to keep the show on air, if she kept the townie shit to a respectable limit where it still worldbuilt enough and then moved on to all the plot she's attempting, the show would've ended a season or so ago. There's literally no fucking reason to have townie episodes in your 5th season when you've already began to get into the deeper parts of the story. Steven goes to fucking homeworld? Let's see how Sadie quits her job. Lars died and became a space pirate? Gloss over how that came to be and have him cry about Sadie and other townies WHILE IN SPACE IN A FUCKING SPACESHIP HE STOLE.

She's padding it out and doesn't fully know what to do with her ideas, clear case in point was the forced as fuck exposition and not even flashbacks showing his space antics, hence why we're still getting teased along with the war lore shit, she's just keeping her child on the air for as long as possible.

The person who still has a show.

For a certain definition of show...

gravity falls, do you see how fucking bad steven univese has become?
ignoring all the SJW tumblr propoganda shit, ignoring even the horrible fucking network scheduling that are the autistic as fuck bombs, the pacing of the show is unbearable.
>lets have 1 episode of actual 'plot' for every 10 episodes of filler bullshit
>and when i say plot, i mean steven walks by and ignores a couple things in the background for you to look at, asks zero questions, and is a complete retard about everything

SU must be doing something right if it has lasted this long, and managed to retain its viewer base

there is a world outside of Sup Forums, after all, and 4chans opinions are not the end-all, be-all of quality
indeed one might argue that 4chans opinion matters even less than the typical 13 year old

This isn't the 2000s anymore. Ratings mean nothing because just about everything is shit.

It's basically a monopoly of shit these days.

>managed to retain its viewer base
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was the only other show aired when TTG took over CN for a week. There's a reason for that.

Sup Forums pls

tumblr, pls.

All the SU fans I know irl are already tired of the show.

Good fucking luck trying to logic the hate fags, gave up on that shit.

If you know cartoon fans IRL you hang out with a very non-representative crowd, user.

I feel like both of these styles lead to the show getting hurt.
Alex's style made the series honestly seem repetitive and may be the reason Mabel was so poorly written.
Sugar's style makes the pace glacial, makes it so characters don't have concrete skills and personalities, and introduces a lot of unnecessary filler.

2 slots, and thats because they're burning off the show

So they didn't have a single other show to burn off?

Alex Hirsch, not even a contest.

The one that isn't derided by everyone but obsessive fanboys for being so hilariously off-model and poorly drawn that it could easily be mistaken for a Deviantart creation.

fucking pathetic tripfag piece of shit

That’s because only one of them had enough of a story to quit on.

Gotta give it to Gravity Falls and I utterly despise Mable.

As mentioned by Gravity Falls lost some steam near halfway through it's second season, but while some things felt rushed and most of us could've gone for another season just to see things fully fleshed out we can at least say this show didn't overstay it's welcome.

SU started off a little shaky, found it's rhythm, but then lost it and has been struggling to find that rhythm again. It's like watching your cousin play Guitar Hero and at first he's doin decent and you can enjoy the song, but then he misses a few notes and now you're trapped trying to enjoy the music while he continually presses the wrong buttons filling the room with missed note sound. The real whammy is that the song has yet to end and you just have to sit there listening to the racket until the game finally fails him or he stops long enough to find the rhythm again.

The main thing I'm trying to say is that at least Gravity Fall's song ended even if they flopped the last 1/5 of it. Steven Universe is still going because the kid on the guitar keeps shaking his head and stammering "N-no I got this! Hold on geez!" and at this point most of us just want to play something else.

You've been claiming this since literally the first season.

Steven Universe is much better to me

There's just nothing interesting about Gravity Falls, I can't look at anything and be like "wow that's a well-written & interesting plot point!" everything they do is cliche. The verse itself makes no sense, they just pull whatever bullshit out of their ass for their episodic formula. The mystery had no satisfying conclusion ("HE HAD A TWIN and it's weird in Gravity Falls 'cus uh...aliens? maybe?"). The characters were all bland, no character development, not-interesting, just caricatures of popular character tropes. It's just all superficial. Looks good, but when you think about it it's so mediocre.

And than I look at Steven Universe: Gem physiology is actually very very interesting, Gem culture is interesting, the verse itself is well-thought-out, the characters all have their own interesting backstories that explain their personalities and are integrated well into the plot, etc etc. It's just *SO MUCH BETTER*. Even while its quality has diminished, it's still such a better constructed show with a lot more thought and effort put into it.

It was an airing you biased faggot.

>Even while its quality has diminished, it's still such a better constructed show with a lot more thought and effort put into it.

Obviously in this sort of discussion there's going to be a level of bias no matter how you look at it, but you're building up SU like it was reaching god-tier at some point. Being interesting can only get you soo far when SU fumbles nearly every chance to give a satisfying payoff.

Gravity Falls fell apart after NWHS but it’s still leagues better than SU

Shouldn't you still be in school?

I'm not saying it was god tier, I'm saying it was better than Gravity Falls. Which honestly isn't some great achievement. Gravity Falls is just so painfully average, there's nothing particularly well-written about it and c'mon the payoffs are a lot worse than Steven Universe. And I watched GF first, usually I have an inherit bias with shows I watch first, but I just can't ignore how ridiculously LACKING it is. It's one of those shows where I can honestly say even I could've wrote a more interesting story if I had the reins. Meanwhile SU still manages to surprise me, even if I was disappointed with e.g. how Malachite turned out.

>I'm saying it was better than Gravity Falls
It really wasn't, it could have been but it never really reached the mark and it doesn't look like it ever will at this point.

To me, it already has a long time ago. At least Steven Universe has interesting stuff. Gravity Falls is just a nothing show. The biggest most noticeable difference to me is the characters. SU actually makes an effort to make the characters interesting, GF characters are basically just props to tell jokes.

Gravity Falls at it's worst was still better than half of Steven Universe overall user. It's humor was stronger and could at least keep it's characters on model.

>only great cartoon of the 2010s
Fuck off

don't let me repeat again tripfag motherfucker

>has taken time to explore and describe the shows universe and the characters that inhabit it
If she actually did that then SU would easily be the best cartoon today. The show is just a massive pile of wasted potential and it's quite obvious that they're making the "plot" up as they go along.

>He's never seen Dan Vs.
>He's never seen Regular Show
>He's never seen Bob's Burgers
>He's never seen The Ricky Gervais Show
>He's never seen Horse Cartoon
>He's never seen Adventure Time
>He's never seen Archer
>He's never seen Sonic Boom
>He's never seen Motorcity
>He's never seen The Loud House
>He's never seen Space Dandy
>He's never seen Over The Garden Wall
I like Gravity Falls too, but no need to be an ignorant ass

>I’d much rather her run my show than Hirsch.

user you're implying that Sugar does anything besides post on twitter and bs herself into thinking she's the reason AT was any good.

>It's humor was stronger and could at least keep it's characters on model.
I can agree with this, SU biggest flaw is the art post S3.
But it's still better than GF content-wise.
I mean I wanted GF to be better, I really was invested in the show ... until Weirdmageddon hit, and than I looked back at it and thought to myself "er...so what was so good about this show?" Best thing they came up with was Bill conceptually, but they failed to make him an interesting character or competent villain. The only sign of a somewhat-interesting character was Pacifica, but she was snubbed.

And than with SU I can actually see them making an effort to be interesting and engaging. Even S3+, when the show dropped in quality, there was still interesting developments. Like confirmation Lapis was the abuser in Malachite, Bismuth's morality, Rose shattered Pink, etc. Even just seeing the Diamond ships have been intriguing. When has GF ever had anything remotely interesting as any of that? I really don't understand how someone can think GF is better, if you're actually looking at it objectively.

>
>>He's never seen Dan Vs.
Gay
>>He's never seen Regular Show
Gay
>>He's never seen Bob's Burgers
Decent
>>He's never seen The Ricky Gervais Show
Gay
>>He's never seen Horse Cartoon
Gay
>>He's never seen Adventure Time
Gay
>>He's never seen Archer
After season 3 its gay
>>He's never seen Sonic Boom
Gay
>>He's never seen Motorcity
Gay
>>He's never seen The Loud House
Incest
>>He's never seen Space Dandy
Gay
>>He's never seen Over The Garden Wall
Gay
>I like Gravity Falls too, but no need to be an ignorant ass
Gay

>loud house
>good

Eh. Both shows turned out pretty good. They are about equal. Sadly also equally good at creating autistic, cult fanbases.

Hirsch is writing for the Detective Pikachu movie, i’d say he’s in a better spot

>There are people that unironically like the Ricky Gervais Show cartoon
lolol the idiot says dumb things and is treated dumb

Intrigue is fine and all but it doesn't do much when you repeatedly abuse your fandom with half answers while you painfully draw out a story people are becoming less enamored with due to slow pacing and bad character development. Say what you want of Weirdmageddon because yeah it fell apart on itself, and I agree Pacifica was sadly underused. But the story at least ended itself before it could get any worse, meanwhile SU continues to zombie on despite a harsh decrease in story quality and art quality.

If SU ended now due to cancellation fans could reminisce on the good stuff and speculate on the what could have been, but because the show continues to limp it's way to completion it brings the overall concept down with every mistake.

I'm looking at both as someone who enjoyed these shows at their best and cringed at their worst, the difference is that Gravity Falls can't get worse, and Steven Universe still continues to.

>Implying that anyone watches the show for Ricky's remarks to the things Karl says
t.brainlet

If you think Karl is actually an idiot, then you must be on the same page as Ricky, which means your opinion matters for jack shit anyway

WoY was better

>Tripfag

Kill yourself newshit

>bittersweetcandybowl

>cal arts style
>generic 2 siblings and a lazy elder
>1 sibling is hyperative and the other is a nerd
>villain is the generic omnipotent autist

Gravity fools sucks, is 0% original. Fuck you retards shilling for this blatant lack of creativity.

>having this many gay thoughts
Calm down there, Liberace

>generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic

>At least Steven Universe has interesting stuff
Which it rarely uses, Every GF episode is about weird spooky things happening in the town. SU forgoes it's interesting concepts to talk about how random townie #15 is getting on with their daily life
>SU actually makes an effort to make the characters interesting
Yeah, because disgruntled lesbian with unreciprocated love is so deep. How about two midgets in a trenchcoat the character?

When I say WoY is unwatchable, I mean it literally

Sup Forums's relentless shilling of that garbage has nearly convinced me the entire board has gone insane...

hehe do you have a problem, my friend?

That's fine. To me, SU S1 and S2 already cemented it as a way better show than GF...and honestly even now, it's still better. The townie episodes are really dragging SU through the mud, Onion Gang is probably the worst episode between both shows, but it still at least has spurts of good writing when they can't ignore Gem stuff. e.g. I thought they've nailed the Diamond's characterization and I'm genuinely excited to see more of them.

Meanwhile with GF there was just nothing of substance at all. After forty 22 minute episodes there really wasn't anything that I thought was "good."

Are you seriously saying GF characters are better than a character like Pearl..? She was created as a slave but worked hard to be the best she could be, the best swordsman the best pilot and engineer. The women she loved and devoted herself to for thousands of years gave up her life for her child and she's basically forced to raise the child on her behalf, at first disgusted but slowly accepting the role of mother and (although probably doesn't realize it herself) she's a lot happier with Steven than with Rose. Bad fast description, but that's so much more detailed and interesting and well-written compared to *literally* any Gravity Falls character by MILES.

Both could have been done much better. I loved the first season of GF, the second season was disappointing and weirdmageddon was a mess, but overall it was still decent enough and it ended rather than dragging things out.
SU has terrible pacing and the offmodel shit is ridiculous now, but it hasn’t ended, so I can’t say for sure it’s worse as it may get it’s shit together and tie everything up well, though I doubt it but still you never know. If it continues in the same way then it’s the inferior cartoon as it had a good idea and fucked it up.

Yeah that's an accurate description of gravity fails style,plot,characters,designs etc.

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated says hi

At one point, both of these were competing for my favorite cartoon of the time. As of now, I’m considering dropping Steven Universe.

Both lost steam. I don’t hate the last few episodes of GF or Mabel like everyone else, but it’s clear the show took a dip in quality. The first few episodes were much more interesting and hilarious.

I think I’ve only laughed at Steven Universe once, and it was thanks to a crossover with another CN show. Also GF’s lore and mystery was more hype than SU’s because it wasn’t drug out as horrendously. Steven Universe needs to end soon before it gets any worse.

Also, GF never turned its entire cast into midgets.

Like making a thread about "Who is better, Loser Hillary or Commie Bernie?"

SDMI is not only nowhere near Gravity Falls quality, it's just barely classifiable as a good show at the very most - borderline, really.

Come to think of it, it's almost literally what GF would be if it were anything like Sup Forums describes it - from the bland characterization, to the forced humor, to the boring episodic plots teasing a narrative, and most of all to the clusterfuck of the finale.
The fact that Sup Forums hates GF and loves SDMI really hammers home the point in

GF had a consistent high with a low point ending.

SU has a roller-coaster quality ranging from great high and pathetic lows and frankly their more low points going on at this point since much of the appeal and value of some previous episodes is the foreshadowing and promise of great things that never come.

Dial back the fangirl squeeing

Gravity Falls by an extremely wide margin. If Steven Universe kept the pace going after the end of the first season, it would definitely be closer to me. Rebecca Sugar's idea of letting the crew do their own thing certainly isn't bad, but Hirsch had a clear beginning, middle, and end for the story *he* wanted to tell. If Steven Universe was less serialized her idea would work better. Shows like The Simpsons, for example, would probably benefit from that kind of thinking. An example of a show that's run kind of like Steven would be Space Dandy. That show to me was one of the most memorable anime of the last few years because each episode for the most part had different directors, different styles, different tones, everything. So, I would say between Gravity Falls and Steven Universe, GF is obviously the better, more focused show, but that doesn't mean Sugar's mindset is inherently wrong, it just doesn't fit the type of show SU tries to be.

c'mon lad, don't defend the tripfag.

>must be doing something right
most of the fans left are the rabid shipper lesbian cosplay defense force buzzword buzzword types, unironically, and they're extremely vocal about being a fan so CN sees that, the show doesn't even have to pander 24/7 but for what it has done, it got the fanbase it needed to sustain everything until rebecca decides to fucking end her moneymaker and that's not soon

>but Hirsch had a clear beginning, middle, and end
More like he had a beginning, middle, then gave up and turned the middle into the end and literally wanted to quit at the beginning.

That being said, Gravity Falls is in the stratosphere compared to Steven Garbage, even factoring in the abysmal last batch of episodes and dud of a finale.

What you’re saying is completely subjective user. I was completely invested in Gravity Falls because it gave me old x files and twin peaks vibes and I found the humor refreshing. I found Steven Universe to be boring as shit relying on cliche magical girl tropes and completely unfunny. You complain about gravity falls using cliches but Steven Universe itself to me comes off as mesh of Sugar trying to squeeze together anime tropes and failing. Hell even Peridot has been proven to be entirely based on Zim and is pretty much Sugar’s redemption fanfic for him. Again you can’t claim something is better than the other when relying on what you personally prefer to watch.

Fuck I miss /gfg/, the hype was the real ride, watching the show after it's finished just doesn't have a spark. The theorizing, discussion, hype, etc. It's been almost 2 years...

Your argument was good until I looked at your image.

I miss the stancest art

I must've missed that stuff or it just merged with the rest of the stuff in my memory. I remember kawaii anime kissy kissy shit with the stans but not incest art.

There were some really good nip artists doing it but sadly they’ve moved on to other things

>not liking the ultimate homage to classic Golden Age Looney Tunes

>SDMI is not only nowhere near Gravity Falls quality, it's just barely classifiable as a good show at the very most - borderline, really.

Holy shit just fucking kill yourself already.

Gravity Falls was good for a season and a half.

Steven Universe was good for about three seasons, but the episodes are half as long.

Tough call.

Yes Japan seems to have kept making lots of Gravity Falls art way after the States mostly lost interest, but it does seem like a lot of them have finally run out of steam.

Though there was a lot of Stancest porn, there was a ton on /y/ years ago. Though there was a huge GF fujo fandom either there were no fujos on /gfg/ or they were very quiet. But in other places there was a ton coming out all the time for a good while. They also stuck around making things longer than everyone else as fujos do, but with no new canon for years eventually it's gotta die.

>user can't have fun

Gravity Falls is a shit experience after the ending anyway, I fail to see how someone would enjoy something with a climax as god-awful as that one.

I found the characters and episodes for Gravity Falls to be better. It helps that Dipper is nowhere near as annoying as Stephen is.

Gravity Falls townsfolk > Beach City townies

I remember a fair number of fujos being on /gfg/ in season 1, it's where the "Hunkle Stan" thing came from. They used to do these weird choose your own adventure roleplay greentext things when a general hit autosage where the reader would apply for a job at the MS and hit on Stan and stuff after all the non-fujos migrated to the next general (this was before the "it has to be on page 10 before we can make a new general" rule was around.)

They were both overhyped garbage, but GF was slightly better.

Why the fuck should I care about your story if you don't even care about it enough to keep tabs on your own staff?

>for about three seasons
That's being way too fucking generous, by the end of S2 it was already in its current state