comics

Other urls found in this thread:

somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/
youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

doomsday clock is bad

ted grant was around in the 40s DC though

Awww yeah, we plastic now!

Comics were good. Southern Bastards, Manifest Destiny, Black Magick and Wild Storm were all good, slow-burning fun. Really pleased that we're finally getting more Zealot on that last one. And of course, 2000AD was a ton of fun. Patrick Goddard got to draw the ABC Warriors sorta.

Wild Storm was real good today.
I hope that user was right and we get a Team 7 book after #18

I haven't read anything and I'm exhausted

I'm mad it's not gonna finish for another year and a half.

I'm hoping Batman Earth One vol 3 already has Frank's complete pencils so that will actually come out before 2021.

I'd like to say I took an intentional extended break from Sup Forums but really after I finished Persona I've done nothing but stay home and play RPGs all day every single day

I'm still catching up on comics from this month and the previous threads

all I want is Tony Bedard to write DOOMSDAY CLUCK

It's...so hilariously messy.

But I would die if Manhattan is Thunder's Genie. That's my "crazy out there" theory

DClock was ok, I'm very into the Golden Age Hollywood stuff Geoff is doing and of course there were a lot of JSA/golden age DC tidbits

Hal n Pals was alright

Wild Storm was good

I wish it was just a Mime and Marionette comic.

Is he still around?

Yeah, especially now that it's bimonthly I'd rather just get Earth One vol. 3 sooner than anything else.

he wrote the KFC comics!

Felt a little bit of censorship in this issue of TWS desu. Like it's the DC comic where you can say "fuck" but a nipple is still a no-go.

i'm just bracing myself for Vic/The Question to be an amnesiac Rorschach.

that action scene was actually pretty good

...a long time ago.

I feel like it's more likely Thunder's genie is going to stop/counter Manhattan.

Am I the only one who thinks the other books Bendis is taking over are Cyborg and Green Arrow?

Because he said he's taking over 5 of his fave characters, and I'm guessing Supes and Lois would be two of them and Vic (because TT cartoon and also black lol), Ollie, and maybe Dinah would be the other 3.

Also latest solicits for those two are suspiciously timed.

Manhattan's missing. The Genie is missing.

I say after #3 it's crazy enough to work.

It's also just that they are fun and appreciative of each other even in their psychoses. Which like Harley andJoker aren't.

Ahh, those halcyon days of yore, before the coming of the dakimakuras...

the last one was what, a year and a half ago?

I just hope Ferreyra gets picked up by a talented writer to do something good, even if it's just a mini. Berger and Bond should give him a call.

I think this is a slight sly nod to the movie The Graduate--"Plastics!"

Hello, Storyteller.

It's not even worth talking about today's Wondy issue. Short version is that the Poochie Squad is still taking up all the panel time, and the Vanessa stuff is woefully anemic. Same shit, different week.

Man I really want Ferreyra on Aquaman. He would make underwear shit look real good.

Also shout out to Aquaman's current artst for very good too. I think he did the Murder Machine oneshot.

Something like that, 's why I asked if Bedard was still around...

>plastic will be around for 1000s of years

LOSH_yelling about the enviroment.jpeg

It's a job for Earth Man

Or Matter Eater Lad.

after the JSA back matter stuff i'm gonna be wondering every issue how johns is gonna have Legion stuff in back matter

how are you owls today

I'd rather Fereyra not get wasted on mediocre writing more.

I'd rather Ferreyra not get wasted on mediocre writing again.

isn't Arkham the last place we saw Saturn Girl? I guess LOSH is still on the backburner for now

Man, I'm a sucker for those kind of blinds.

Doing OK. First week of work vacations is over but I managed to get a bunch of writing done.

Probably going to be about how the LOSH have messed through the past.

Like how Batman tagged Anthro's cave.

I'm sorry, but I can't read this

Okay, the fuck are 'sheenies'?

... Is that supposed to be an anti-robot slur? Machines, sheenies...

yeah i actually thought that was where the ending was going. the actual ending was great and hilarious

that could be cool but it would be nice if we had a solid working of DC history so it would be more obvious Legion interference and not just alt history.

what if they keep showing up and have created heroes? like knocked over Jay's heavy water and stuff.

Jews. apparently.

Desperately avoiding reality

SNOWFLAME TIME!!!!

Oh Harbinger

>sheenies=Jews
... Racists are fucking retarded.

How are you OP? how are mornings working out?

they hurt so much

I'm off mornings again next week, thank fuck

It’s been a few days but when the topic of Andreyko’s Manhunter came up and Judge talked about how unlikeable she starts off, it made me think again of a recent trend I’ve noticed of female villains becoming anti-heroes, are writers just afraid of having female villains act like villains or is it just me?

I mean
>poisonivyfan.jpg

It makes perfect sense that Englehart did their book.

People, and it's more male writers really, tend to tread around the idea of making female characters unlikeable or unjustified.

It's why TWS right now is pretty good even. Or Yale/Ostrander Suicide Squad, really strong but not pleasant women there.

I think that may be a part of it, but it's also the realization that there aren't enough well-known female heroes, and especially the most well-known females at DC are villains, so they're trying to have their cake and eat it too by making them less villainous, or even straight up good guys in the case of DCSHG

Was it Dini or Rucka that made her more heroic?

Batman: Creaure of the Night #3, Doomsday Clock #4, and The Immortal Men #1 are all delayed a month from their latest intended release dates. All these titles, coincidentally, have their skip months in April.

>it made me think again of a recent trend I’ve noticed of female villains becoming anti-heroes, are writers just afraid of having female villains act like villains or is it just me?
nah, it's a trend

I think a lot of people still hesitate to accept that women can be pretty fucking terrible, they don't want backlash for not portraying a female character as flawless, or they don't want to make a character people dislike

IME there's also a general trend of "b-but villains are usually just misunderstood!" which I blame heavily on the book and musical WICKED

I miss Smarch issues.

DC probably is the best example but I’ve noticed it at Marvel as well.

Moreso on the Musical, because even the book kinda shows that she's a crazy weirdo.

Well, much as I hate to admit it because of certain idiots who look for any excuse to whine about women daring to exist, there is unfortunately a noticeable reluctance by many writers to allow female characters to be more strongly flawed. Ain't just villains who have this problem.

I'm generalizing a fuckton here, but I imagine it's because they see having a fully unlikeable villainess as a lose-lose situation. Male fans will think she's just a horrid bitch that needs to be put down, and female fans will think she's just an instrument of the author trying to make a sweeping statement about all women being irredeemable bitches. Of course, this is an extremely dim view based on only the loudest, craziest minorities of comic fans, but the more authors put themselves in contact with them, the more susceptible they are to their influence.
And on the other hand, there's probably an idea that any DCU Supervillainess, especially the ones who are in multimedia products like Killer Frost and Poison Ivy, could very likely be the next Harley Quinn. So it's on their best interests to keep them relatively "clean" and redeemable, just in case people end up latching onto her.

I missed this thread when the DC solicits were posted, so here's a late take:
Abnett using Bliss again in Titans is fucking hilarious

Writers are afraid of showing villains acting like villains now, user.

>which I blame heavily on the book and musical WICKED

Is it not also something brought over by the wave of YA writing? Although I remember plenty of brutal kids books Jesus Christ Redwall

That is the perfect example of “my waifu did nothing wrong”.

Speaking of Killer Frost - this is also a really big reason as to why she was so boring in the show.

Like they even set up a great Firestorm arching too, but ruined by her being good.

somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

Chauvinism isn't cool anymore. The only person who could get away with it now is a proper, old-school fag writing a really gay book.

i feel like "My poor misunderstood villain" thing goes on before wicked? but wicked also seems like a good point of explosion for it.

>could very likely be the next Harley Quinn. So it's on their best interests to keep them relatively "clean" and redeemable, just in case people end up latching onto her.

this is very true. even though the Joker's the Joker and dude gets plastered everywhere so who knows

I'm trying to imagine all the different, highly dramatic ways "plastic" is intoned in this issue.

I think WICKED is ground zero for a huge number of YA trends, too

Antiheroes and villains being the protagonists and being softened due to sad backstories or what you have been a trend for a while now, even in other media.

It's just more noticeable when female villains/antiheroes do it because there simply aren't very many female ones.

Pretty much all of Batman's rogue galleries except Joker have been reformed at some point but people only bitch about Harley and Ivy.

Also I think multiple media industries are seeing that the "badass woman kicking men's asses" (usually a spy lately for some reason) power fantasy is a lucrative and low-effort way to get women buyers, who were apparently desperate for this kind of thing all along if you'd believe all the thinkpieces.

Maybe I'm being cynical but the push for women in leading roles seems really disingenuous from most people and feels like more of a money "we gotta get this untapped market" thing rather than actually being progressive for progression's sake.

youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

She was on the road to "more heroic" before Rucka did that NML story with her, but even in that she still disobeyed Batman and killed that incarnation of Clayface. John Francis Moore had a one-shot and annual story that had her a a villain doing slightly-more-heroic things (taking down a chemical company doing illegal testing), but she still killed in that.
Dini returned her to full villain.

Speaking of Wicked, that dude has made a whole small mint off of retreading old stories like that.

Hell, he came out with a "new take" on the Nutcracker last year. Wooeee..

>mfw people say that some PG-13 superhero movies are too much for kids when I grew up with Redwall and Brave Little Toaster.

he basically does all those shill comics for DC, nice niche for him

And the Ocean Master Forever Evil one-shot.

Man, he should've gotten Aquaman.

Brave Little Toaster is incredibly fucked up

I really don't remember Redwall being as hardcore as you sissies are making it out to be.

It's a rare-ass event to get a decent shill comic.

>"I had a shitty childhood, that means I'm not so bad! I'm gonna go murder a bunch of people in cold blood, but still feel sorry for meeeeeeeee!"
No, fuck that shit so incredibly hard. Having a sad past means jack fucking shit in regards to someone being a shitty person. Again with this whoreshit about characters being defined by their origins. Absolute shit writing in every instance.

This issue keeps reminding me of the fucking sexbot threads.

He really should have...

The Redwall series is much more violent than any book series aimed at kids today.

You wanna talk about actual traumatizing childhood shit