Character Design as a Fossil Record

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8cphLWxA4QA).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love how the recent season has him going back to looking less like a robot

>The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie started the chubby cheeks look

By the 2nd movie its like a tumor.

As I look through these I can hear Tom Kenny getting less and less expressive.

Holy shit 2017 is such an improvement over the previous few years.

You think he goes home after recording Spongebob and just... Drinks whisky alone in a dark room?

>he thinks Tom Kenny drinks just whiskey to get through a VA session

It always bothered me how in the movie was so squared

That would be squidward’s va

But what was it??

Wait,why was there a 3 year gap between the movie and season 3?

Do you think they've ever had in-character Spongebob/Karen sex?

Anyone else hate that retarded single tooth look they gave Patrick?

Definitely a possibility. Really, the two of 'em could've roleplayed with any one of Tom's characters (dude even does a pretty good Plankton impression: youtube.com/watch?v=8cphLWxA4QA).

Jill Talley, on the other hand, tends to play wifey characters, so she probably couldn't provide much variety, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I feel exactly the same way. They really shouldn't've made it a permanent part of his design in the later seasons. The "dumb tooth" worked best to emphasize Patrick's stupidity in scenes/jokes that really needed it.

I guess you could say this almost symbolizes how modern SpongeBob episodes constantly portray Patrick as nothing more than a doofus instead of the crass, impulsive goof who was the breakout star of the earlier seasons.

Because they maintained similar design that wasn't worth mentioning?

It was only occasional in the old seasons, but by Season 4 it was the standard.

Spike Spencer tells a story about being on a date with someone who didn't know he was a voice actor, and she saw his DVDs and asked him to show her something he'd been in. They were about halfway intot he first episode and she asked him "so who are you?"
Then he did Shinji's voice, sounding like a poor, emotionally vulnerable 14 year old.

The date ended shortly after. She couldn't unsee it and it grossed her out.

you can always tell whether its a quality spongebob episode based on how his cheek is drawn (aka 2001 and before)

I like seeing the smile more than the cheek, rip.

If the good Simpson seasons were 1->8, what are the good SpongeBob ones?

what do the simpsons have to do with it

It's pretty much unanimously agreed that the first 3 seasons are the best the show had ever been. After the first movie, things started slipping, and it just kind of continued slipping. Though, I have heard that the most recent season is at least okay, probably on account of Hilenburg coming back.

I haven't seen much of the newest season, but the more unapologetically cartoony visuals are definitely better if OP's pic is any indication.

I always thought Sponge Bob’s bottom lip was a butt chin. I still can’t really see it as a lip even though I know it is.

>Jill Talley, on the other hand, tends to play wifey characters
And rightfully so!

>those sounds Rita made after Lynn, Sr. stuffed his foie gras foam into her mouth