ITT: Freedom Haters

Wtf, I hate Doctor Doom now.

To be fair, last time Latveria had democracy, we got Lucia Von Bardas and Secret War.
And after Doom abdicated the Crown, Latveria fell to chaos and civil war until Queen Riri I instilled order,

They have schools now. :^)

He just fears to lose elections, that's all.

Related, what do people think about Wakanda transitioning to a constitutional monarchy?

He's right though.

What I never understood is why the problems in Latveria were solely due to a civil war. Why didn't any of its neighboring countries try to conquer/annex it like they did that time Doom was sent to Hell and Reed himself had to step in to protect Latveria?
And what happened to Kristoff Vernard?

Steve Rogers hates freedom and crypto fascist

Best argument against democracy is a 15 minute conversation with the average voter.

Democracy got us Trump.
If Doom had his way, it would have been Her Turn.

*is

>What I never understood is why the problems in Latveria were solely due to a civil war. Why didn't any of its neighboring countries try to conquer/annex it?
Annexing Latveria doesn't work. It's like north korea at this point, the cult of glorious leader can't be uprooted for cheap and nobody wants to pay giving it a try. Even Empress Riri Africanus I just gtfo at the first opportunity.
>And what happened to Kristoff Vernard?
I don't know, no one at marvel knows. It's best not to dwell on the past .

Wakanda is a constitutional monarchy now, soon to have an elected Prime Minister as head of government with T'Challa as Head of State.

You overestimate the Latverian people's loyalty to Doom. The fucking Red Skull once took over and he had supporters.

heh.

That's replacing one glorious leader with another. Anyone who tried to install a democracy in Latveria is fucked. And iirc Latveria is somewhere in eastern Europe right? You just run into the game of musical dictators the slavs love to play.

We knew that since Socrates.

Of course he is. Check out April's solicits, the only way he can think of to rebuilt society in a dystopian future is to become king himself.

It's not a dictatorship if the dictator is elected :^)

Sauce?

Marvel Two-in-One issue 2, came out yesterday, check the archive for storytime.

The FF tried to do just that. After DOOM was sent to hell, Reed and the others went to Latveria, set up shop in his castle and flew the flag of the F4. The idea was to dismantle his stockpile of leftover weapons, neutralize any contingencies he had planned and try to liberate the people of Latveria.
They revolted.
No, really. People didn't understand what had happened and thought it was a coup. They were out in the streets en masse protesting and demanding the restoration of DOOM. They really do love him.

Doom is evil again? Good.

I want Cyclops back

>And what happened to Kristoff Vernard?

Presumably slutting around Europe avoiding his responsibilities.

WISE CHOICE

>hating democracy is evil

>No, really. People didn't understand what had happened and thought it was a coup. They were out in the streets en masse protesting and demanding the restoration of DOOM. They really do love him.
You're misremembering. At first they were skeptical, but later they were grateful for what the FF was doing. They even looted Doom's castle with Reed's blessing. They only revolted when the US Army and SHIELD decided that what Reed was doing was not OK, the Latverians told off Nick Fury about how they did nothing when Doom was in power, but now that a superhero was they send in the troops.

>Balkans accepting trust-fund Americans as leaders
USers really don't know how other people think, do they?

I'm skeptical but I won't dismiss your claim out of hand.
I think we need a storytime to clarify this.

Thats my boy kids.

>Marvel can't write for shit, can they?
Ftfy

He's right. Democracy is just one solution. It's the best so far, but the idea that we've mastered government and there's no possible better alternative is incredibly arrogant.

>It's the best so far
>What is Sortition

If they did then Trump, Hillary, Romney, McCain, Bush jr, and Kerry would not have run for president just to help preserve US reputation. They dont care so long as they have a bloated military budget to hide behind

Here's the relevant page. Fantastic Four # 507

May be I'm being a bit slowpoke here, but...I just realized we became Sup Forums

Sortition requires that either:
- Your pool of candidates are all equally capable
- The morality of your candidates is more important than their capability

You'd get a fairer but less competent government.

It was Waid. He's in another world.

Yeah, I really fucked up at that last meeting in the oval office. Sorry world.
If you think Americans have any real control over their govenrment, you are high as fuck.

Jesus...
>a bunch of Slavs trusting a hoarding, 1% American to govern them
WEW!

The funny thing is that in just a few weeks at most in-universe, Nick Fury himself led a covert operation into Latveria after the new ruler the US installed there turned out to be a terrorist financing super-villains.

Reed gave them a bunch of free stuff, the executions for minor transgressions stopped, and he let them steal, break and loot whatever they wanted from Doom's Castle.
And even then, there were still a bunch of hardcore Doom loyalists, including a suicide bomber.

I'd take incompetence over corruption any day

Imperium of Man?

Just nuke every piece of Latveria.
It's beyond salvation.

>USers really don't know how other people think, do they?
>They dont care so long as they have a bloated military budget to hide behind

“Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.”
Machiavelli- 'The Prince'

Frankly, Reeds as a more lenient replacement 'dictator' would be far more comfortingly familiar to the Latvarians than some secret UN council that doubtlessly serves a number of hostile foreign interests. They might not all prefer him to Doom, but given the choice between Reeds and the UN they are probably wise to prefer Reeds.

>he let them steal, break and loot whatever they wanted from Doom's Castle.

brb getting his time machine and some doombots