Giant statue to aang the buddhist monk in republic city

>giant statue to aang the buddhist monk in republic city
>korra knows how to bend three elements without instruction at the age of four
>instead of having her travel the world and find a master that suits her for each element and learning the culture and values of the four nations like every other avatar, she just learns it from the white lotus bringing teachers to her in a single location
>tensin travels halfway across the world ala sky bison to tell korra he doesn't have time to train her
>with his three kids and pregnant wife
>in a world with both carrier hawks and telegram wires
>korra can't bend air because of a spiritual deficiency
>never explained why she lacks it nor why spirituality is not a prerequisite for the other elements
>white lotus says korra going to republic city is too dangerous
>clearly not true
>korra stows away on a ship and hides without food or water while it sails halfway across the world
>apparently sending korra back is too much work despite the crazy danger of the republic city so she stays
>republic city isn't actually a republic
>korra doesn't know what money is
>she doesn't want to get arrested so she physically assaults the police
>there are no consequences for this
finally started watching this show and I'm surprised how bad it is. I hear everyone complaining about the love triangle that's coming or the villains or anything else to come but the first episode alone is just so fucking poorly written and Korra is a massive cunt. Why do people love this shit? Does it get better?

>tfw no korragf

is that it? People just want to fuck the characters?

Well, this shit is loved because of korra, nothing more.
ASSami & Cuck Mako are the plebs.

she's kind of a massive cunt though, how can people like he character?

Well, Korra IS pretty fucking hot.
Also, the lesbian ending gave it an SJW defense force.

They like her body.

See that:
This is the main reason man.

oh so ghostbusters syndrome

>Why do people love this shit? Does it get better?
Wiafu bait, nostalgia for TLA, and some of the action scenes are actually pretty good.

season 3 is legitimately great, but it gets worse before it gets better

>Does it get better?
Lol nope.

>so ghostbusters syndrome
pretty much ya, that and it's because people love the original series so much that they can't admit the sequel is bad

>>instead of having her travel the world and find a master that suits her for each element and learning the culture and values of the four nations like every other avatar, she just learns it from the white lotus bringing teachers to her in a single location
This is incredibly practical. Though I have no idea why the rest of the world approved of letting one group beholden to basically no one, groom the most powerful person in the world to their whims.

>never explained why she lacks it nor why spirituality is not a prerequisite for the other elements
This is supposed to be about the first episode, there was no way to explain all this in the first episode, this is a problem overall, but not with the first episode. Basically everyone agrees this goes nowhere later.

>clearly not true
A revolution started like 2 days after got there, and before that criminal bands were ruling the street.
Korra was supposed to be a competent fighter, but inept in other ways, and while I'd agree they failed at portraying this later on, it was a completely legitimate way to introduce this fact.
She was sheltered from the time she was 4, and had everything provided for her.

>>she doesn't want to get arrested so she physically assaults the police
So?
This was actually a good scene.

>>there are no consequences for this
A bit of rough housing from the Avatar, THE AVATAR, and the chief of police is a friend of Tenzen's, so is the council if I remember correctly It's easily understandable why this would be waved off.

The first episode was completely fine, it just started a lot of things that ended up going nowhere.

She really wasn't during the first season, she was quite charming. The decisions she makes as Avatar end up being incredibly disagreeable and the show never reflects on that nor makes her reflect on it so it ends up making her incredibly unsympathetic.

>SJW defense force
I'm still convinced that ending was a rallying cry for that. Even on Sup Forums it's assumed that if you didn't like Korra it was because of the surprised lesbians.

I couldn't get through the first episode of the 3rd season, it starts of with "Sure my decision that made no sense then and makes no sense now is messing with people's live, even hurting them, but it's okay, because I'm the Avatar and Tenzin told me that makes whatever I do okay"

this, the first episode was fine, go back to Sup Forums

>OP: The first episode sucks
>(You): AKSHUALLY the first episode does not suck, it’s just that everything else after that sucks.

You wrote all that text to defend an episode that goes nowhere. Are you proud of yourself?

The late industrial era setting is still garbage.

>I hear everyone complaining about the love triangle that's coming or the villains or anything else to come but the first episode alone is just so fucking poorly written
He was complaining that people saw potential in the show, and that the first episode was poorly written. The fact is that there was a million things that could have gone right after that first episode, without the focus on romance, or the shitty "he's a bloodbender and randomly waterbends instead of just swimming and this kills his entire rebellion for some reason" the series could have been good.

>This is incredibly practical.
Maybe if they had her travel the world like every other avatar she wouldn't have a spiritual deficiency cause be being in the same god damn place for a decade?

>So?
>This was actually a good scene.
she was acting retarded. Who the fuck chimps out if they are being arrested... oh nvm

What does Sup Forums have to do with anything?

yeah, all that season 2 bullshit was such a fucking mess it's hard to get past, and the writers had to acknowledge it. but once you get past that, the S3 plot is actually good and has a satisfying climax.

>There are a lot of problems with Korra, most of the ones that you mentioned are stuoid niptick or irrelevant.

>For example its explained that Korra was reclused because of over compensation, the last avatar went missing for 100 years, and people tried to kill her when she was younger. So theyn decided to bring teachers from around the world to teach her in a safe enviroment. Its still presented as a bad idea compared to actualy traveling the world, but acrual world liders make weirder and worse decisions so its believable.

>My grandpa crossed Europe hiding in a ship when he was 15.

>Tenzin might have felt that the Avatar at least deserved his presence to tell that he wasn't going to train her, instead of looking like a dickhead and just emailing her. He also visited his mother. Hell, he might as well bing visiting the nearby air temple and thought that he could use the opportunity to go there.

>Regarding the block on bending, perharps it was the same deal that Aang had with earth and later ire bending, he had to get into the right mindset and spiritual view.

And these are just the ones that I was bothered to writte. Korra HAS plenty of shit and errors, but you are just stupid and likely an autist for being triggered by minor random shit like this.

it got a lot worse.
it comes to a point when you are rooting for the villains because the incompetence of korra is too much

Please fag, GET OUT OF HERE, NOW!

See

>it comes to a point when you are rooting for the villains
Because Sup Forums loves villains more than heroes. I couldn't root for Amon because his plan didn't make sense and his methods didn't either.

My reaction to that is still as vivid as if it happened yesterday

"Oh wow, they actually did it. Good on them for that at least" almost immediately followed by "Oh god, they did this so nobody would actually discuss how bad this finale and season was" to
"Oh god, this going to deflect all criticism of this show having at best 1 and a half decent to good seasons of eps of of the 4 it aired"

I mean, you are sayibg bulshit and acting retarded.

Them you are saying "huur duur are you proud of yoursef for showing that I am retarded??"

This is a board to talk about cartoons after all,so I don't see your point. I mean, you wrotte an even bigger wall of text for bulshit.

you sound so fucking retarded

Boy are you mad. My point is don’t defend the first episode of a shitheap if you also agree that the show is overall a shitheap. You are just wasting time defending your own pride.

S3 was a mess in itself. sure, it had some cool moments like lava man doing shit and zahir being kinda cool at times, but it still had just as much bad to balance it out

>Toph has another daughter who owns a city because she can't take consequences and is as big a cunt as Korra
>Korra crashes a zep and chimps out when everyone's looking at her
>Bolin bends lava for no reason. he also matches a guy who's supposed to have at least 20 years on the kid in experience
>Zuko comes back to job. also he has a dragon for no reason
>little girl is better at spiritual stuff than the actual son of a god
>no one give Tenzin any respect ever
>hints at red lotus being somewhat benevolent in their own ways, only to reveal them as a run of the mill "Muh anarchy" group
>lava bender guy decides to end his own life instead of trying to kill the two pissants he's fighting
>little girl just knows that they bent liquid metal into korra. never hinted that's what it was, that she knew that's what it was, or if she could even have it removed
>Toph's other daughter just knows how to get it out because reasons
>Korra just has to spend a few months in a wheelchair. no real consequences here
if this is this season at its best, I"m surprised it got through its worst

Nah, I'm showing that if you are going to hate something you got to hate for the right reasons.

You can still hate something bad, but be an idiot and miss the point while doing so. Otherwise, we are welcoming people here to act like idiots, pic related. You should see this as me teaching you.

>OP comes to discuss comics and cartoons
>People discuss cartoons with OP
For some reason this upsets you

I didn't came here for people to desagree with me.

How so? There's no monarch; there's a ruling council.

She's brown and has giant titties, that's all the reason in the world.

Thank you, sensei. But I’m perfectly fine writing this show off as the shitheap it is, no matter what arbitrary reason you decide is the right one.

its a shit show and only sjw's love it and support it

See

It has its good moments, but the pacing is a mess and writing isn't better.

We all already know it is a shitheap. But people keep making threads about it instead of reading that it is a shitheap and staying away from it. So, not necessarily you in particular user, stop making threads about it.

She's just insanely hot, but don't think liking her body and design is the same as liking her as a character. She's so retardedly incompetent despite being written as "naturally-gifted".

You know that's interesting?
If you read 'KyHu' as Cyrillics, it sounds 'Cuny'.

To be fair people were retards for not listening to her and ignoring avatar's right to decide for them what they should do. Time changed, but it is not her fault.

The entire issue with Korra not knowing airbending but all the others is because the original idea Nick wanted was a single season. It was not practical to track Korra's progress through the elements through a dozen episodes.

As for her personality, it's called character progression. Sometimes, characters are jerks or insensitive or selfish. Aang's story was about him overcoming his own pacifist nature, Korra's was about growing as a human being.

By the end of Season 1 she grows a bit. She plateaus/regresses in Season 2. And through Season 3 and 4 she grows through leaps and bounds.

If you're expecting a character like Aang, who was nearly perfect in his characterization, then you're going to be disappointed. Temper your expectations and learn to watch for when a lesson sinks into Korra's head and mark her progress through each season.

Aang had to learn to fight. Korra had to learn how to be diplomatic. Both took multiple seasons to get to that point.

Good. Korra reminds me too much of gross 3dpd girls.

There are reasons to like Korra. But if all you bitch about is the ending, like what happens in EVERY Korra thread, of course people are going to say you dislike Korra because she ended up with Asami.

>>korra can't bend air because of a spiritual deficiency
Not defending Korra but I always assumed it was because the air benders were nomads and pacifists and this had a direct correlation to their technique, and since Korra was a raging hothead and a moron, she didn't have the aptitude for it.
It always seemed pretty obvious to me.

>Assaults police
>So what?
Fuck off antifa cunt. You're nothing but scum of the earth.

>Korra just has to spend a few months in a wheelchair. no real consequences here

She had to spend something like 4 years in physical rehab...

Korra never reaches that point because there is no benefit to a diplomatic action shown since no one ever tries to be diplomatic back to her.
She doesn't grow except for the ending fight for season 2.
They could have just had her train at a later age and make it fast. Have it so Zuko and Toph are visiting the South Pole and seeing Katara and the South Pole is showing different bending styles implying that Korra was seeing these styles and cultures come together for her early life and she picked up on the movements and mindsets that the people brought. The South would be a growing culture due to people trying to help rebuild after the South nearly being wiped out because of the past actions of the Fire Nation's military ambitions. That could even be the impetus that spurs Unalaq to action because he doesn't want the South to just become like Republic City - lacking in spirituality to his own warped mindset.

Korra doesn't start bending at age three the various elements only water because she sees it from her parents and Katara. Then she gets the hang of the others and just lacks airbending for reasons.

They did explain it. They said it wasn't explicitly because of the element but due to their personality. Most of the time, benders have a personality in tune with their element; toph being stubborn, etc.

Korra was just a case where, like you said, she's a hothead and that runs counter to airbending's need for spirituality and inner peace.

>It always seemed pretty obvious to me.
But that doesn't make sense since she was able to use them at a young age where every child is a moron. If Meelo and Ikki can airbend then Korra should be able to as well.

>There are reasons to like Korra
pfft

They wanted to tell a specific story, rather than rehash AtLA. It was pragmatic and sensible to just have Korra know all the elements and focus on learning airbending through the season.

Again, they has only one season to start with. No season two. They had season two sprung on them and it's likely Unaloq probably didn't even exist as a concept at the time of the first season airing.

As for her being diplomatic, that's wrong. It shows up in Season 3 and Season 4. It marks that Korra learns to not solve every problem with her fists, to think before acting and to avoid letting her anger drive her.

>giant statue to aang the buddhist monk in republic city
Air Nomad, not Buddhist. He was shown to be very happy every time.he saw a depiction of himself or Kioshi in TLA. He even kept a wanted posted with him, and there was an entire episode over people burning wooden statues (Avatar Day).
>korra knows how to bend three elements without instruction at the age of four
She spends 13 years learning 3 elements, Aang did it in one. Also, his made his first fire without a teacher, and learned energybending with no instruction while Korra had to learn it from Unalak.
>instead of having her travel the world and find a master that suits her for each element and learning the culture and values of the four nations like every other avatar, she just learns it from the white lotus bringing teachers to her in a single location
That's addressed in season 2 when it's revealed she thought it was set up by Aang but turns out her dad ordered it because he's overprotective.
>tensin travels halfway across the world ala sky bison to tell korra he doesn't have time to train her
>with his three kids and pregnant wife
>in a world with both carrier hawks and telegram wires
He travels all that way with his family so see his mother, he does the same thing for the Solstice, even takes a trip to the air temples. The other teachers hasn't officially graduated Korra yet, she wasn't expecting a teacher before he arrived.
That's because it's explained that Tensin was wrong about thinking that's what it was, she has a airbending breakthrough while Pro Bending, he realizes he's wrong and admits it. Tensin is overly focused on spirits and they really go into that in season 2.

>white lotus says korra going to republic city is too dangerous
>clearly not true
The minute she arrives she's attacked by one of the many gangs, and gets caught up in a war shortly after. It's not "too" dangerous but it is dangerous, and as was covered her dad is overbearing and protective.
>korra stows away on a ship and hides without food or water while it sails halfway across the world
It was a montage, relax. Aang made it through a desert on foot for days with no food or water. It was probably only a day or two for Korra since you can make it there by Sky Bison without stopping to camp.
>apparently sending korra back is too much work despite the crazy danger of the republic city so she stays
No, Tensin arranges for her to go back and the White Lotus even meet her on the docks with a ship ready, but she convinces him to teach her airbending instead.
And New York isn't New, wow. Did you know Greenland isn't green? It's a name. Also, there's an elected President, it's a Republic.
Korra, a foreigner, doesn't know what a Yuon is, but knows what money is. She knows well enough to assume a Yuon is money, to explain she doesn't have It, and why. In TLA they run into the same issue with Water Tribe money not being accepted.
>she doesn't want to get arrested so she physically assaults the police
>there are no consequences for this
She is arrested, and the Chief announces full intention to imprison her. Tensin shows up and pays all her fines and bails her out using political pressure and personal connections on top of his money. Lasting consequences are the Chief not trusting her through the rest of the series.

Basically you're an idiot.

>water gets two seats
The ruling council is hardly democratic.

>where every child is a moron
Read my post again: I said she's a raging hothead and a moron. The former is the primary reason why I assumed she couldn't airbend (and if being a moron was supposed to prevent someone from airbending then she never would have learned airbending at any point in her life and neither would Tenzin's retarded children).
And apparently I was right since as this user pointed out they did explain it.

>>no one give Tenzin any respect ever
That was the one positive of the whole season, because it added to a character arc we actually cared about. Tenzin spent the past season getting dumped on by fate (with his daughter being more spiritual than he) and came to peace with it. This was the season when he actually got to go ape against another Airbender and beat his ass and the payoff was terrific. Just goes to show that the best characters in all of Korra are the adults, though.

Sorta a big point in the second season, dude.

Airbending is a discipline like any other. It has very little to do with spirituality beyond the Air Nomads' culture.
Such as?

Cartoon show no-benders invented money and capitalism, meanwhile bender are monks that dont need materialism in his lives

Such as Republic City becomes a representative democracy after Amon kills 4/5 of the ruling council. And then President Raiko becomes an obstacle for the rest of the show.

Zaheer proves your point about Airbending wrong. It requires a degree of spirituality and inner peace for it to work.

Kai proves you wrong.

Money already existed in Avatar.
The ruling council is still a stupid concept to begin with. Airbenders shouldn't get any votes.
How is Airbending more "spiritual" than any other bending discipline?

They fucked up season 1
They made season two trying to fix the fuck ups of season 1 because fuck, we have nothing to do with out characters and setting now
The ended up fucking season 2 so bad it's probably the point most people stop watching
Season 3 they try to reboot their own show because they have two terrible seasons behind, nothing makes sense, characters have no clear motivation for being part of the show, etc
Season 3 is a mixed bag, some parts are good, others are awful, if season 3 was season 1 Korra could have been a good show but we are now three seasons too deep into this
Season 4 they try to have some plot carry over with Korra not being able to fight and Nazis I guess? There has to be a bad guy
Show ends with an awful Mecha fight and lesbians
Show ends in season 4 for no reason because there is no resolution, you could change the order of the seasons and besides a couple things it would make just as much sense

>>korra can't bend air because of a spiritual deficiency
>>never explained why she lacks it nor why spirituality is not a prerequisite for the other elements
This one requires you to watch the previous series.
Air is the element of freedom, it's people and culture were flighty nomads. Korra's a stubborn autist that grew up in confinement; her being shit at airbending is one of the few things that fit the lore.
So naturally they tossed that out.

>Toph has another daughter who owns a city because she can't take consequences and is as big a cunt as Korra
Please don't remind me about Suyin. Still can't get over the fact that she's painted as a victim, even after being responsible for permanently disfiguring her sister AND being allowed to get away with it. And to rub salt in the wound Lin gets yelled at for doing her job, of all the things. I thought I repressed the anger.

A lot of those points are crap
But that's par for the course with TLOK hate

>it's people and culture were flighty nomads
They lived in temples though, not unlike the environment Korra grew up in.

This is true as of TLOK because all the spirtuality shit of EVERY bending discipline got thrown out.
The entire point of episodes like Bitter Work was that bending required a certain mindset and emotional state, and those informed the cultures those benders were from. Aang's shit at earthbending because he's too conciliatory, Zuko's too unstable to generate his own lightning, Toph is stubborn and unyielding, etc.

Then Korra just turns it into MMA garbage with different flavors of punching. Having said that, even then it's not really fair to say airbending in TLOK lacks a spiritual component when it's advanced form is literally astral projection (for some reason.)

In ATLA it was said that they rotated from temple to temple. They'd have to in order to reproduce since they were gender exclusive.

>Aang's shit at earthbending because he's too conciliatory
No that's because his element was air.
>breeding seasons
oh baby...

Bisexual Stronk Mary Sue Womyn

So much money wasted and a second literal defiling of a great franchise after M.Night's fuck up.

The explanation they gave in that episode was Aang didn't "think like an earthbender" and only could do it when he stood his ground. It was never because he was born an Air Nomad, though being born there probably impacted his personality.

I mean yeah, basically.

>No that's because his element was air.
Rewatch the episode. Toph literally blames his mindset and then a couple scenes later Iroh gives a speech delineating how each mentality is reflected in its bending style.
Then in the season afterwards there's a whole episode dedicated to Zuko having to learn how to bend with a different mindset.
Bending had a spiritual component since second one. Korra just plays fast and loose with the rules so it turns into horse shit.

>the flighty thief doesn't know about freedom and being calm

Yes to all your points indicating that it's the mindset, no to your conclusion that somehow assumes mind=spirit.

Kai is spiritually devoid. If you want to go the flighty angle, the farmer who refuses to come to the temple disproves you.

Also I don't get why anyone is arguing about spirituality in airbending, Korra learns standing breakthroughs during pro bending and while fighting Amon, and Tensin admits that he was too busy thinking about spirituality when he was trying to teach her before and he was wrong for it. He says she should keep pro bending to help her learn. It's not spiritually linked.

>tfw Aang was going to be sent away to the eastern air temple, a temple filled with only women
damn, he was gay to past that up
Roku as a Avatar born in the Fire Nation struggled to master water the most. Just like Aang did with his elemental opposite. Which Katara directly says to Aang was the problem. Coincidence?

>inally started watching this show and I'm surprised how bad it is.
You've seen nothing yet.
First 6-7 episodes were good, but after that... awful.

Okay, hold on a second.
I think it's important to make a distinction.
Airbending (and for that matter, all bending) in Avatar: The Last Airbender has a spiritual component.
That component got taken out of the mix in The Legend of Korra. Which is one of the things people complained about a lot when the first season was airing.
For example, bending lightning used to be this super rare, super powerful thing. Then Mako just does it on a team of twenty as a temp job.
When people are saying what bending is supposed to be they're talking about ATLA rules, which both existed, and weren't shit, as opposed to Korra rules, which seem to only consist of "how can we solve this problem and hand Korra a win".

Fair enough. There is still some sort of mentality involved and mentality can translate to spirituality because Air Nomad spirituality is all about achieving airbending.

It's a religion built on achieving the state of mind needed for airbending, which is why Zaheer is able to fly by embracing Guru whatshisname's ideals.

Katara is fallible. Also when you have cultural hegemony built around bending, it makes sense that most cultural Avatars have difficulty with their opposing element.

Korra, who grew up in a compound and trained from a young age to be the Avatar, didn't have those cultural hang ups.

>Katara is fallible
oh fuck off, I'll just say Toph is then. You happy now?

More importantly Korra was a creator's pet that wasn't allowed to fail so bending itself actively changed how it functioned to make allowances for her.
Fuck pro bending and fuck those air punches. Korra's choreography was trash.

One could probably draw parallels between that and the modernization of Japan and China, where previously spiritual aspects of like (Swordplay, martial arts, etc) were made more practical, with the spirituality aspect downplayed more and more.

You're right. Except in LoK we have confirmation Toph was the correct one.

>wasn't allowed to fail

So which is it? Korra was a complete fuckup at every turn like is commonly cited in these sorts of threads or is she never allowed to fail?

Burning an antique? Getting her ass kicked in nearly every major confrontation with every big bad every season? Constantly fucking up socially? C'mon now.

I was willing to believe that until Book 2 happened and they went full Star Wars Prequels with the whole "light and dark spirits" thing.
Then it was obvious that the writers on ATLA that had any idea about eastern mysticism and spiritualism were no longer in the room.

>So which is it? Korra was a complete fuckup at every turn like is commonly cited in these sorts of threads or is she never allowed to fail?
Both.
Korra's a complete fuck up at every turn, and the world ends over backwards to excuse her fuck ups. They're not mutually exclusive points, and I think you knew that.

It could be both. Gotta remember the team pulled Book 2 right out of their asses.

Isn't Season 3 entirely about how Korra's decisions have massive, world changing problems tied to them and they aren't resolved immediately?

It's just a major pet peeve of mine when a series tries to do the whole eastern "balance" thing and then drops the ball and says "but this one side is all evil."

We have confirmation for many things in LoK, not all of them good. Avatar had a nice little consistency with Aang struggling with earth as Roku did with water but Korra is such a special little snowflake that she struggles with air because "muh spirituality".

To be honest I wouldn't know. I gave up on it around book 3 episode 3 or whenever it was that it stopped airing on tv.
It never really sounded like they got better about it though.