Which comics caused you to fall in love with the DC universe?

Which comics caused you to fall in love with the DC universe?

Twoboot LoSH, though the various cartoons were what compelled me to start reading comics in the first place

Fleischer's Superman and the DCAU.

Question
JSA
L.E.G.I.O.N.
Dixon's Birds Of Prey

Oh, and Ostrander's Suicide Squad

Batman brave and the bold

The Batman Adventures comic based off of BTAS

Some of the first DC trades I got were COIE and Formerly Known as the Justice League, they were what sold me on the DC Universe, along with the mandatory Batman books, Year One, TDKR, Long Halloween, etc.

Alan Moore on Swamp Thing, Mike Grell on Green Arrow, Dennis O'Neil on The Question, John Ostrander on The Spectre, these are the books that made me fall in love with DC.

Blue Beetle Vol. 3.
Those two, plus The Incredible Hercules, were what finally got me to accept that I really didn't need to read more manga.

In general, pretty typical but Superman the movie, and The DCAU.

For comics, O'Neil and Adams Batman, Justice League International, pic related, Johns Flash, Nixon Nightwing.

Secret Six
Morrison JLA

COIE
LOSH
Superman

52 or Starman

Why did Batman just let Joker hit Gordon with a baseball bat?

Waid’s Flash.

Those are not comics. Fuck off

Superboy, then Superman

They are better than 90% of the DC comics tho. Big 2 is mostly shit in written form.

Lol, no it isn't. Outside of a few good episodes, most of it is mediocre and forgettable.

The first Nightwing solos

Thought it was so cool that Robin wasn't Robin anymore and he was just living solo and getting laid and doing dope shit away from Batman and teenage me related to that so hard.

Actualy what I said remains right. This tell more about the quality of the Big 2 than otherwise.

Batgirl (Puckett)
Superman (Jurgens)
Nightwing (Dixon)
Starman (Robinson)
Green Lantern (Marz)
JL (Morrison)

Hey, so I want to get into DC comics, but I have no idea where to start. Is there a generally agreed upon place for new readers to begin, Sup Forums?

Their 90s and early 2000s animated universe.
90% of the comics are trash.

Find a character/team you already like or that sounds cool to you, grab a run that's generally agreed to be good, and dive in.

Nicieza's Robin
Winnick's Green Arrow
Morrison JLA

got a random Morrison JLA trade when I was like 10 (the one with the US superhuman military team, and the jla/jsa team-up) thats the first real superhero comic I read, grabbed at random

then years later finding Winnick's GA and Nicieza's Robin (right before it became Red Robin which subsequently became the first comic I bought in single issues)

Johns' J.S.A.
CoIE
The Great Darkness Saga
Katehunter
Silver-age Justice League

those are the ones that really stuck with me as a young kid.

CoIE is a wonderful way to be introduced to a lot of characters and corners of the DCU quickly.

it was fed up of the rape thing

hes not in the studio with them...

All Star Superman
New Frontier
Starman.
Just wanna talk about Starman a sec, it did a fantastic job of giving you the vibe that the DCU has a long and colorful history with metahumans and superheroics.
Btw Sup Forums, what was the first DC comic you read? Mine was the first issue of Hush, came packaged with a Batman figure.
Kek, you hipster. Read some comics and I'm sure you'll find that you actually like them.

Death of Superman. My cousin was a speculator

New Teen Titans, LOSH, Warlord, All-Star Squadron, Wolfman-era Green Lantern, Batman & The Outsiders

I wanna say... Knightfall?

Looking back, I think that whole storyline was my first real draw as a kid. Which probably makes sense, Batmania was still pretty strong then.

>tooncucks

52 and Waid's Brave and the Bold.

90's Damage
The Ray
Steel
Primal Force
Waid Flash
Morrison JLA
JSA

Not sure what the first I read was. But the first I bought was pic related. What a cool comic...

Unironically Secret Six.

Infinite Crisis and 52.

My image of DC comics was that it had the same kind of art and tone as the DCAU. Although I liked the DCAU, I always thought the designs and style was too childish. Then I got Infinite Crisis and Perez' art blew me away. It was fucking awesome, even if I didn't completely get the story, and the amount of violence and gore was something I didn't expect, given the friendly image I had from the DCAU. 52 was incredible, and I got to know how awesome Black Adam was. Damn, I love all of 52.

>implying Batman TAS isn't kino

Tell me a cartoon even close to half as good as Watchmen, Enigma or Swamp Thing?

But the question assumes that comics are what got me into DC, which they weren't.

I've read reprints of a lot of golden age batman bob Kane and bill finger are the best batman creative team

Silver Age Legion reprints which led me to (then) modern age 80's Legion
COIE

A trade of Meltzer era Justice League for my 13th birthday and Batman:Noel are some of the first DC comics I remember reading.

Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's Doom patrol. I had a hard time getting into comics about 10-11 years ago, I was reading off those Sup Forums rec images and stuff but it was all very mediocre. These two won me over.

52, I spend many days coming to the local library after school to read the volumes they had, day after day, waiting for my parents to pick me up
Final Crisis, the first TPB I bought with my own money
DC as a whole has such an impact in my formative years it's kinda amazing and I'm glad to still like them all these years later

Infinite Crisis, it wasn't that good but it was one of the first american comics i read.

>good
None of those even have good waifus or lolis.

Ostrander's Suicide Squad.
Levitz's Legion.
Infinity Inc.
Justice League International.

Levitz LoSH
NTT
Infinity Inc
The ending of CoIE was my gateway to the Marvel Universe, although I read older DC (Kirby and Morrison, mostly) now from time to time.

The Dark Knight Returns.

believe it or not, Identity Crisis.
I had no attachment or context to DC in any way and that story got me interested in a bunch of characters I never gave a crap about before.

This is the comic that made me fall out of love with DC. I'll still read something by them here or there but until a corporate shakeup happens that results in Lee, DiDio and Johns leaving I can't go back, they ran the joint into the ground imo.

I'm with you, user. The good news is they just bungled the Doomsday Clock release in a spectacular fashion, so maybe there's hope for a change yet.

JSA

I own all five volumes of the Batman: No Man's Land arc, that was the first comic that got me really interested in DC

I’ve been a pretty big DC guy all my life because of DCAU, Fleischer, and 6 flags spamming DC characters. I was just surrounded by DC characters enough that I grew a little bit of attachment to them. I didn’t actually read actual DC comics until my dad gave me Sinestro Corp war for my birthday. It got me interested enough to look into the DCU with all the characters that appeared in it.

So I dug up some of my Dad’s comics, and two comics really sucked me in. The first was Worlds Finest, which followed Bats and Supes meeting up once a year, ten years in a row. It really gave me an appreciation for the history and continuity in DC, watching their families grow and survive hardships. The second was Quiver, which showed me that Green Arrow, a character who I didn’t care about at all, could have this fantastic, tragic, history and be such a funny and compelling character.

Anyway this is where Sup Forums says I have shit taste right?

ASM

Definitely the Fleischer serials but also the SA anthologies like Brave and the Bold. My neighborhoods mother's used to trade a lot of things, like books and comics, so we had a wide variety of older stuff (Little Lulu's for the girls, pulp westerns for some of the older teen boys, for example) for all age ranges and it just constantly got recycled, so I read a Brave and the Bold or a Strange Adventures from the 50s that had been passed around since the 50s.

>CoIE is a wonderful way to be introduced to a lot of characters and corners of the DCU quickly.

I'd say this is true of the collected trades of 52, those and the DC Wikia is what I frequently recommend.

I'd say this and if that doesn't work, read Batman. He has loads of quality stories and plenty of guest stars so even you don't like Bats himself you'll find someone interesting pretty fast.

You can actually just get Year One and then read Legends of the Dark Knight onwards.

>Worlds Finest, which followed Bats and Supes meeting up once a year, ten years in a row. It really gave me an appreciation for the history and continuity in DC

I like this. You should care if people think you have great taste or crap taste, they are entitled to their opinion, but that's all it is. Given that you like this, you might look for (it's only available as scans unless you want to order the physical from an LCS or some online shop that will have an older book, probably not as a new item) another "Worlds Finest" - this one done by Rude, it's a three parter and it's often scanned that way but you can also get it as a trade.

I really liked Justice Society of America. Can't really put my finger on why. Wasn't just Power Girl. I kinda liked how it was basically the B-Team so the characters were more interesting than just Holy Trinity and Friends.

A lot of their mid 90's stuff was comickino, but what really made me a fan was Starman.

Pic related was my first one, I remember reading it when I was about 10 years old, then spending the next few years going through all the Marvel essentials we had lying around.

Ostrander's Suicide Squad, some of the Fourth World stuff, and pre-Crisis Flash comics.

Superman For All Seasons, it was the first Superman comic I'd ever read and it led to Superman becoming my favorite DC character.
Shade the Changing Man was my first Vertigo comic and it made me appreciate noncape stuff and seek out other books like it. I think how surreal the art and plots became is what appealed to me.
I had some nostalgia for the old Static cartoon so I decided check out his comics which led me to checking out the other Milestone books. I think what I liked about them was they were black characters but didn't have the issue where they written to be boring as not offend anyone. I liked that some books were willing to criticize black culture while not coming across as too preachy and I guess I liked the way characters would show up in each other's books from time to time in an organic way.

Rock of ages

The event 52.
I was already interested with all the talk of Blackest Night (it was the event going on when I first discovered Sup Forums) but it was 52 that made me really into reading DC.

Knightfall part 1 and, while it's not a comic, BTAS.

Virtually all of them.

John Byrne's Superman