Sausage Party was aggressively advertised as the first R rated animated feature that would set an example for...

Sausage Party was aggressively advertised as the first R rated animated feature that would set an example for generations to come. Unfortunately, it has been mostly forgotten or viewed in contempt, so what the fuck went wrong?

It just wasn't funny
The jokes were either ridiculously uninspired food puns. There wasn't any clever twist, it didn't actually put any effort into making real jokes, it was all just "mexican food are mexican stereotypes, jewish food are jewish stereotypes, arabic food are arabic stereotypes" and so on. A fucking six-year-old could write a more interesting setup

Aggressively advertising as the first R rated animation feature just means that they realized it was bland as hell and tried to rely on marketing to sell. It tried to be shocking and edgy with DUDE WEED, LOOK HE SAID MILF, BATH SALTS, NAZI JOKES, ORGIES, and the like, but it just came out as incredibly mediocre and was rightfully forgotten a week later

Food Fight was more entertaining

What went wrong was that the movie was never truly meant to be taken seriously. The whole thing was just a 90-minute EDGY Pixar parody where the writers and mistreated artists could feel free to throw in whatever juvenile "adult jokes" they wanted.

The real tragedy isn't the movie's failure but the lack of Camille Toh art.

Friendly reminder to help start off this thread:

if you have to be high to appreciate it, it's not really good.

>Sausage Party was aggressively advertised as the first R rated animated feature
[Citation needed]

Humor wasn't that good (even as someone who likes those Rogen/Franco stoner comedies).
The message was something that anyone over the age of 14 would say either "I know stop telling me" or "harumph how offensive" so it just comes off as annoying.

Like it was okay, I don't regret watching it. If I had paid $15 to see it in the theater I wouldn't feel the same way probably.

it has lots of swearing and sexual humor

>so what the fuck went wrong?

It was a film targeted towards adults but was written as if it were meant for children: stupid, unfunny, and not in the least bit engaging- which all together made it completely forgettable.

It tipped it's fedora too hard and the jokes were unfunny.

It isn't the 70s anymore.

People weren't shocked enough at the idea of a purely adult cartoon (like they were with Fritz the Cat or Belladonna of Sadness).
Past the gimmick, the plot is something we've seen a dozen times.

It's not bad like people say it is, it's just forgettable.
And with negative talk of them screwing over a lot of the employees made people eager to forget or bash it.

Doesn't mean it was aggressively advertised

Camille Toh is a fucking butterface and there arenmuch better options for girls with massive thighs.

It's an hour and a half long LMAO LIEK A DICK GETTIT? XD joke. Also Seth Rogen and his DUDE WEED LMAO buttbuddies screwed the animators over big time because they're greedy self-important Jews. Let it be forgotten, it fucking deserves it.

>viewed in contempt
It's rated above average on almost every website. It just didn't do well in the box office.

>what went wrong
It wasn't very good. The writing was comparable to one of those Franco/Rogen pot "comedies". Unfortunately the lesson the retarded executives will learn from this will not be "hire better writers", it will be "lul, no one wants adult animation". So get ready to wait at least another decade until someone tries adult animation again.

Juvenile humor made by subhuman potheads made animated with slave labor.

>Food Fight was better

Opinion discarded.

Okay so I'm going to have to ask you to actually read my post before commenting, because nowhere did I say that Food Fight was better

Fucking 82% reviewer score on RT. 50% viewer score. If this doesn't sum up RT or this horseshit argument of "b-but a website said it was good!" I don't know what does.

Fact is, the movie was not that good. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it wasn't worth it to me. A lot of the hate it receives is due to people who take animation seriously and wanted it to be better.

>Sausage Party was aggressively advertised as the first R rated animated feature that would set an example for generations to come.
Both of those are incorrect. It wasn't advertized as the first R rated animated feature (because it isn't) and the only people who claimed it would change animation forever are Sup Forums and cartoonbrew.
And really if the South Park movie didn't start that trend, I don't see why Sausage Party would have.

It doesn’t really have any rewatch value. It’s not something I want to see again, and it’s not good enough for me to recommend.

Honestly, the two major scenes that were supposed to be funny kind of fell flat. The slaughter in the kitchen and the food orgy were both kind of lame, and even the end felt like a cop out because they wanted to hit you over the head with nihilism the whole movie, but couldn’t accept the fact that the world’s logic meant that all the characters were going to spoil and die because they wrecked the grocery store.

>It wasn't advertized as the first R rated animated feature (because it isn't)

>aggressively advertised as the first R rated animated feature

because it's made for 14 year old kids, not adults

It was aggressively advertised as a Pixar parody à la "what if X had feelings", not so hard to get

Sausage party isn't rated R its rated 14A I just checked

3D animated feature.

One of the cornerstones of marketing is finding a way to sound like the first of something.
Amelia Earhart isn't the 3rd person to solo fly the Atlantic she's the 1st woman to solo fly the Atlantic.

What rating system does your country use?

It's different in every province

We should find a really good adult animation from Japan, Europe, or somewhere else, screen it for critics so they love it and give it 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, parade it around as the second coming of cinema, and when it wins Oscars and normies flock to see it, we may get more adult cartoon movies.

I remember nothing about this movie but the, tame as fuck, orgy scene and the animators were screwed over.

It was pretty good, actually. People just can't handle the theme and appreciate it for what it was.

Really good foreign adult animation is always nominated for Oscars and loses to Pixar because the voters don't have to actually watch the nominees.

>tfw I took some girl to see this in theaters instead of Kubo.

Why are you, typing like, this?

That's an X rating you retard

Do you think Seth Rogen lost his touch?

But if they pull out a really good marketing campaign and get famous and powerful Hollywood people involved (Spielberg, Nolan, Tarantino, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, etc.) it will likely win.

Go to bed Seth

Find me one piece of actual advertizing that stated that. No, a blog post doesn't count.
It wasn't advertized as that, let alone aggressively, it's just something journos put forward to get clicks.

For an adult feature, it was aggressively juvenile.

Truly a landmark. How many more adjectives you need to add before it's 'truly' unique?

>First R-rated 3D animated feature released in 2016 featuring a story about talking foodstuff and created and starring Seth Rogen!

it wasn't very funny

>the first R rated animated feature
I thought the first one was that Adam Sandler's movie

Eight Crazy Nights is rated PG

I mean, it was. They didn't pay animators so they could spend more money on marketing.

How dumb do you have to be that you lose track of the topic this easily.

Did you think I was talking about the first animated R comedy thing? No you mouthbreathing retard, I was talking about the marketing budget.

Nigga don't call people "retard", you're in no position.
The claim was that "it wasn't aggressively advertized as the first R-rated film". Learn to follow a fucking reply chain.

It was aggressively advertised as a R-rated animated film you immense retard. You're just having an autism attack that its being pointed out.

The only reason I remember this movie is because it came out around the same time as Kubo and more people went to see it rather than watching Kubo.

It's not even R Rated

>It was aggressively advertised as a R-rated animated film you immense
Not what was claimed, friend.
It's like you can't even fucking read.

>The film received an R rating for strong crude sexual content, pervasive language and drug use. When Rogen initially submitted the film to the MPAA, however, they assigned it with an NC-17 rating due to the visibility of pubic hair on Lavash's scrotum. In order to be assigned an R rating, the pubic hair was removed.

You're trying to claim I'm some other user in a thread because you're so fucking retarded you can't read. Eat shit, dude.

that's the best reaction image I have ever seen, fucking hell

It's rated 14A

>You're trying to claim I'm some other user in a thread
What? No user, it went
>OP: "Sausage Party was aggressively advertised as the first R rated animated feature"
>user A: "No it wasn't"
>user B: "But it had things in it that are R-rated"
>user A "That doesn't mean that it was aggressively advertised [as the first R rated animated feature]"
>You "they spent tons of money on marketing"
>Me "you're retarded, that's not the topic"

He said forgetting about Fritz The Cat

what touch?

You unbelievable idiot.

Of course Kubo would probably just make her cry, but at least you would have shown that you have good taste...

>Laika
>Good taste

Can we stop forcing this meme?

It's not a meme. Being bored and simultaneously amazed at the visuals is a sign of top class.

>Movie that tries to prove that animation can be also for adults
>By being the most immature and childish as fucking possible

Food Fight isn't a good film, but it was an experience I'll never forget.

But visuals alone don't hold up a movie. Without good acting or a decent script, visuals mean dick.

We're talking about MPAA ratings, not whatever ratings are delivered by the village witch doctor in your shit-covered backwater failed state.

Canada is superior to any country in the world

This sums up everything I did not like about Sausage Party.

I really wanted to enjoy this movie. I was hoping it would pioneer another era of animation that was more mature or at least meant for adults like what Ralph Bakshi did in the 80s, but I was dead wrong.

>leaf

Canada is literally the best country in the world

Shut the fuck up leaf

You're just jealous you'll never live in the greatest country in the world I bet you're from Europe

This is just my dick talking, but between Camille Toh and the sassy but thicc cashier I'm actually upset that the humans never got to do anything sexy.

Would've saved the movie.

>what is fritz the cat

That was X rated.

>The movie that features deer literally eating shit is rated PG

It's rated G in Quebec

yall like the poop jokes up there?

They always play it on the holidays, it comes on at night on the kids channel like around 8pm they usually start playing it. That's when the movies usually come on

It was a stoner comedy.

It was a shitty Robot Chicken segment streched into a theatrical release.

>so what the fuck went wrong?
It came out like twenty years too late for it to successfully bank entirely on the novelty of cartoon characters swearing and doing crude things. Also while I don't mind Seth Rogen I can't fucking stand the movies he directs, they're all just one big circlejerk of inside jokes between him and his Hollywood friends.
Hiro let me use legacy captcha again you slanty eyes fuck I'm not buying a pass.

Do you use Sup Forums X?
Because that has an option to switch to legacy, and it's a fucking godsend

It wasnt funny and just seemed like some weird /d/ level fetish movie.

I'm using the latest build of X. How the hell are you still using legacy after Hiro disabled it a few days ago?

I don't know
It just never went away for me

X just updated a couple hours ago, even, but I've always had legacy captcha. Half the time it doesn't even bother asking for captcha at all any more

But the last couple of updates for X also removed the option for legacy. Best you can hope for is enabling captcha fixes and noscript but even that's 50/50 for most people.

Good. I'm glad it failed. Shitty raunchfests like Sausage Party succeeding would just beget more shitty raunchfests.

"Mature" animation/animation for "adults" in the form of series with seasons is slowly coming into view thanks to streaming platforms picking up more and more original animated series, some of them with mature concepts and themes. You can't fucking jump the gun straight to R-rated. You have to slowly ease into it. I've always felt that a PG-13 animated film with mature themes and a good story would be a better way to get people into the idea of mature animation than going straight to R.

As well, I think we already do have a few works of animation that I'd qualify as "mature". Venture Brothers, for example. It has quite a lot of violence and sex in it, but also has a lot to say about failure, carrying on legacies and knowing when to let them go, and other subjects.

>mainstream PG-13 animated film with mature themes and a good story

9 didn't do that well and that was one of the very few American-made PG-13 animated films, it's actually the last American-made animated movie to get a PG-13.
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within bombed because people thought it looked uncanny.
And even independent/anime films with a PG-13 rating don't get the mainstream attention, even with something like The Wind Rises, and that had an all-star voice cast for the English dub and was distributed by Disney under Touchstone Pictures.
Not sure if The Breadwinner will get mainstream attention, even if it has Angelina Jolie's name attached to it.

And even if you target teens or adults more and still end up with a PG rating, it will still bomb, regardless if it will later be vindicated, as Titan A.E., Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Treasure Planet demonstrated.

However, Loving Vincent made quite some hype on social networking sites so there is hope.

It didn't fail retard, there's a huge possibility to a sequel being made

>the first R rated animated feature

uh, wot?

it was 100x better than sausage party and came out over 15 years earlier.

Poor Nerdland is forever forgotten.

When was it advertised like that?
I think you're making shit up for attention.

It was advertised as a animated parody. It wasn't being held to some pedestal at all.