Star vs Irrelevant Opening Themes

Around this time last year, we were first starting to get teasers and such of a new Opening Theme. But the one we got simply recycled the original song, utilized choppier animation, and ultimately ended up utilizing shots and themes which were quickly dismissed as irrelevant before a quarter of the season had completed. It felt like a whole lot of running around for nothing when they could have just as easily replaced the final group shot with something S3 related and called it a day.

You guys think we're due for a proper reworking of the Opening? Think we'll get it for S4? What themes, if anything should have been present for S3 (if it had been done right) or S4 (given what we've been shown this far)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8VgjqZo_2_E
lil-area-sfw.tumblr.com/post/169295256019/ive-been-doing-random-sketches-about-random-stuff
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I say replace the theme all together for starters

I would've thought they would do that too with the whole story takes place in Mewni shift. Particularly because now she is "from around here"/Mewni and isn't "from another dimension", Marco is.

I hate how they dropped Toffee/Ludo as enemy. He was cool as fuck.

>simply recycled the original song
>utilized choppier animation
That was expected t b h. The new OP was a surprise at the art gallery panel and we literally got an audio recording of reactions confirming it was the same song. That and the Rough Draft animation are just natural consequences of changing the opening 3 seasons in.

But yeah, I agree what we have now barely fits the season. The Ludo shot is especially conspicuous because it seemed like something that'd get eventually replaced, but the fact it still hasn't 67% through the season just makes it more obvious how much the plot is dragging. Though I always wished S2 had gotten a new OP animation as well, or at least replaced the wand, so I'm cool with there being a new one. I would have preferred something different for every season.

I don't think they'll change it again beyond maybe updating wands/villains. I think my biggest disappointment is that the group shot at the end could have meant literally anything, but instead just represents the season's current love quadrangle (ignoring Janna and Pony Head). They should have made it much lamer or entirely about romance, to better reflect the tone of this shit season.

the new ED might be better than the old tho

>the Ludo shot is especially conspicuous
And that's another thing, what's the point of going through the trouble of Star having her S3 wand for that shot if Ludo/Toffee still has the cleaved wand... cut the whole thing proper, or just leave it alone.

And Eclipsa still apparently being crystallized too.

At first it seemed like maybe the crystal was really meant to be "empty" and Eclipsa herself would then appear in that shot, but I guess that was never the intention since Eclipsa still hasn't done much either. Maybe Heinous/Meteora, except she appears earlier in the sequence too.

>Hi user!

IT'S GONNA BE A LOT OF SHIPPING
IT'S GONNA BE A LOT OF TRASH
IT'S GONNA BE RELATIONSHITTING
WE'RE GONNA MAKE A TON OF CASH
WOO-HOO

They did it with the ending. I don't see why they couldn't do it with the opening as well.

western animation doesnt really care about OP and ED even though they should. SU still has the same intro from S2 even after all the shit that happened. Adventure time as well,and WOY.
I kinda hate how shows treat OPs and EDS as stuff they just need to have over when they can actually be a big part of their show,reflecting the themes and story of it

WE'RE DUMPING JACKIE
WE'RE DUMPING LUDO
WE'RE DUMPING FUH-FUH-FUH-FUH-FUN TOO
THE MONSTERS DINDU NUFFIN
ECLIPSA'S DULL AS FUCK
MARCO'S A TALKING DOORMAT
FUN'S IN ANOTHER DIMENSIONNNN

Dammit Sky, its too early for you to show up... wait till we at least get 50 posts in! Geez, you wanna go back to /garbage/-island that bad?!

Great, now get Jebus to sing it.

MY TOTALLY MATURE TITTIES

So is it just a cultural thing, then? like a vestigial remenant of the Hanna-Barbara age or something?

It's pretty obvious what happened if you look at how everything was lining up and the rumors that were leaking out during the end of season 2.

Disney had been getting weary of how "serious" the show had been getting for a while. They didn't like how Dark the toffee stuff was or how adult the romance plot was getting with the love triangle. I guarantee you there was a phone call made after the episode with the concert aired.
So here's what most likely happened:
Despite season 2 ending on a massive cliffhanger, Disney approached the team and told them to scrap the entire Toffee arc and to write Jackie out of the show. The agreement made was that they would give the team a few episodes that would air earlier before the rest of the season in the form of a "premiere movie" to do this in which the Toffee stuff was to be pretamaturely ended while a newer less dark plot would be set up. The opening we have now is more based on what season 3 was supposed to be about and but was completed earlier.

It sucks that Disney has all these creative properties under their ownership but they end up killing anything they get too involved with (see also: star wars, marvel, Pixar)

>marvel
It's almost near - consensus that Disney has been TOO hands-off with Marvel Comics and their successes at the box office are almost entirely due to Feige wresting control away from Perlmutter

I would love to get some proof of this outside of tin-hatting. But if this did prove true, how does race wars and bigotry fit into 'less-serious-themes' than 'relationship-infidelity' ... he'll, even taking that into account, Star having Marco by her side while dating Tom isn't exactly a big upgrade from Marco having Star by his side while dating Jackie.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here

>Disney had been getting weary of how "serious" the show had been getting for a while.
You talk as if the show was really popular or something. Didn't they, if anytihng, relinquish control of the show

They had that background gay couple kissing swiftly censored right after the episode's airing. Popularity or none, Disney is a major control freak in all aspects. Even the proprieties they own but aren't using they will shove in a vault for no one else to touch it.

I thought that was just censored for their foreign releases?

Can you post a picture of the gay couple(s) after Disney threw in some censorship?

Why is Janna in the intro if she's not an active part of the team?

Because there is no "team."

Because she was already there and when she's texting there's no force in the universe that can possibly move her
And you just stand there wondering why she's such a bitch

>They had that background gay couple kissing swiftly censored right after the episode's airing
In foreign countries

Because we were all trolled into thinking they'd be working together to stop the forces of evil.

Soon there will be a froce of evil.
But it will be Marco

Marco got his heart broken twice in relatively short order... if there's anything that would've inticed him to seek evil means to acquire his own desires, that should've brought him over the edge.

If there's anything that will bring this about, it'll be due to an attempt to save Star from something beyond either of their control.

Thoughts on Season 3a:

> It feels like season 3 has been like a D&D campaign story, where the DM thinks they have a plan, but really they're improvising constantly, introducing mysteries and plot points that they don't have a plan, or the time to resolve. It's also like how JJ Abrams, or that guy who did the Sherlock, directs: introducing mysteries and plot points that they have no actual plans to resolve but sound cool and build tension.

> Even if they do have a plan to resolve everything, I think the story has been pulled in too many directions. They've had to do episodes to resolve stuff from Season 2 (rip jarco), Eclipsa, Star's transforming, monster racism, relationships, and random bullshit like Ponymonium. They need to stick with one or two big things, and give them the screen time they deserved.

> I actually like the relationship bullshit. Star getting with Marco right away would be weird, they had some issues to deal with. And Marco being thirsty for a rebound after Star is pretty funny to watch.

> Fucking RIP Jarco.

See

We thought Kelly would actually fight and carry a sword, not just armcandy to get pass around.

DELETE HORSE HEAD

They dropped toffee because his VA got really sick sadly.

>VA's for characters never change

Because she's a goddess deserving of our admiration

His cancer has been public knowledge since before he signed on for the role and it was cured in 2010.
youtu.be/8VgjqZo_2_E He has a very busy schedule and I think the showrunners always planned to write Toffee out.

she's deserving of a plotline but I don't see it happening

Your autistic fanfiction is not facts

That's so fucking depressing if it's true.

Maybe they saw what happened to adventure time and wanted to avoid that. Or maybe they don't want to deal with whiny parents.

>Maybe they saw what happened to adventure time and wanted to avoid that.
Avoid what? Focusing on the shipping? Bringing up plot points that either get ignored or solved unsatisfactorily quickly? Shitting on the male lead?

Because that's what SVTFOE is doing now, too.

I don't mind the first two, its that second one that bums me out. This show was going places, and it seems like outside forces are ruining the show.

>D&D campaign
... oh god, this strikes dangerously close to a campaign I'm in now...

You think all of "Battle for Mewni" was made, from scratch, in about four months?

Hang in there, bud. It takes time to find a good group, even more to find a good GM. For now, just enjoy it for what it is, and drop any expectations, unless your GM is truly boring or awful.

> t. forever-GM

I'm curious as to how many people ship because they are attracted to one of the characters, vs. thinking they're a good couple. I always shipped because I thought the couples would complement each other, based on their personalities and chemistry.

So, why do you ship? Do you ship? Would you want a waifu from SVTFOE?

Gonna cash in some (you)'s here, but even though Starco gets a lot of flak for "the magic gone" / "the dynamic has changed" / "no longer CUTE and PERFECT" or whatever, I still feel the two of them together really do compliment each other in the all the best ways and that it HASN'T changed at all since I first started watching the show. The external dynamics might have and that complicates things, but when you strip that away and it's the two of them together, they really have each other's best interests in mind. And that's why I can't help but ship them.

So who would the looks, brains, wild card, muscle, and useless chick have been?

Do you have faith that the dynamic would stay that way if they did get together during the show, and wouldn't end up degenerating into a bunch of cheap and snippy drama to keep the tension up, maybe to the point where people start rooting for them to just get it over with and break up because they're terrible for each other anyway? olicity

I don't, but I'm an unforgiving pessimist, so it's probably all my own fault.

Yeah, actually. And I'd love to see a situation where that kind of thing isn't portrayed in order to try and maintain an interest curve in the show. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible unless an actual 'Force of Evil' / legitimate antagonist comes to threaten them in the midst of normal relationship stuff... because seeing them work together to overcome those challenges is kind of a staple of the pairing, with short reprieve of cute interactions in between.
lil-area-sfw.tumblr.com/post/169295256019/ive-been-doing-random-sketches-about-random-stuff

I'm in agreement with you there, I don't even know where that stuff about them not being a good couple anymore came from. Relationships have issues and bumps on the road, their's is no different.

Eh, I think there would have been some dumb drama involved, because cartoon, but if there were a legit antagonist (Toffee didn't die), then yeah, we'd have something.

I agree with you here too. You just have good taste, user.

Marco.

That is exactly what I wanted, too. Star and Marco: a couple fighting with each other instead of against each other.

But after the handling of this half-season I've lost hope that that's a viable prospect. Would love to be wrong, though.

You know, for all of Marcos social anxieties, Star was a stabilizing force. Previously, it was with regards to Jackie but i could just as easily envision it with regards to him dating a royal as a commoner or in interacting with the various customs/environments/inhabitants of Mewni, but with Star supporting not as "I'm a princess, whoever fucks with you fucks with me" way, but instead "I've acknowledged you as someone completely awesome, just be yourself and have more confidence and the populace will also accept you in no time"