Suppose someone were to start an animation studio with everything done in house. As in all the writers, animators...

Suppose someone were to start an animation studio with everything done in house. As in all the writers, animators, artists and whatnot worked at the same place and were paid decent wages. Also suppose that altogether there were maybe anywhere form 50-100 animators and artists all working on the same project to allow for the highest quality while retaining fast output on new episodes for a show, that way it wouldn't take years and years to get a few dozen episodes for a show.

I think of it in the same way as how a AAA video game development team may work, a few hundred members working towards the same goal. Now with animation taking much longer and being less lucrative than video games I doubt this would be a common thing. But if someone with money to burn was passionate enough about making some show and wanted great quality and respectable development time to create each episode, what exactly would happen? Would it really even be possible for something like this to ever happen? Could it lead to a fantasic piece of work coming out, without years being required to get beyond a few dozens episodes? Longer more detailed episodes and seasons with more intricate stories being told?

Would this be a wet dream for someone who want to get into the industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

thehypedgeek.com/from-start-up-to-tv3-the-glue-studios-story/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, the SCP series will not get off the ground

You'd have to have an endless pit of money like Nike guy's son who founded Laika

I don't even understand why all the actual animation always seems to be outsourced to Korea nowadays. Everything I've read on the topic tells me the wages don't save much money.

The infrastructure is already there.

America has the infrastructure, it's just not being used. You may be right for some other countries.

Filmation did this. All they got was a bunch of people who've never seen their show mock them for being poorly animated. Even though if you go back and watch them, they have a lot of sasuga moments of good to even great animation.

So KyoAni?

green lantern tas cost a million dollars per episode
no one has that much money to burn except maybe the son of nike

The thing is you guys are retarded if you think its literally just the boss man at whatever studio dumping money into shows. What's actually happening is that multiple different investors, private and public, lend money to the studios. So instead of one millionare, its actually closer to like, a thousand stock holders and a couple of bored dentists and doctors funding it.

This is also why a lot of animation gets sent overseas, government grants. If the US spent nearly as much money on art grants as they did on other things, the entertainment industry economy would look very very different.

Also, and this is probably the biggest thing, most art projects cost that much because its mainly a way for people to write off taxes. This isn't limited to shows, even fine art is mostly one big work to trick people its about culture. I'd say this is actually the single biggest factor for why art is made in such large quantity, there's always the guys who want to make good art, but there's way, wayyyy, waaaaaayyy more people who need someplace to throw their dirty money at to throw off the heat. And who knows, they could even profit enough to do it again and again.

>

I guess this would be my wet dream given the resources, but people always tell me that there are better things to do with money and getting recognition.

The cost/profit ratio of doing that for an animated series would be massive when compared to the really poor money even popular series make.
Maybe making a movie instead of a series would be a viable project with the given model.

>What's actually happening is that multiple different investors, private and public
the problem is, those investors want their money back, which is impossible to do with such a high quality animation as OP suggested. Which is why you need one rich guy instead of investors, who is willing to throw away money to make Art.

And again, that one rich guy usually doesn't give a flying fuck about art and is just putting on a show so he can launder money and make tax writeoffs. If you think one rich dude is going to fund anything for nothing, you're naive.

If you really want to make art, you get multiple group investors, different cultural associations across the world, and make it as a group funded thing. That's basically how Europe keeps making amazing animated movies that seemingly don't make any profit.

The problem is americans want to export everything, but don't actually want to collaborate.

Dude, ALL of those possibilities and mine is just dreaming, none of those are in any way possible.

you don't need a dream scenario but change priorities I think. small studios should play more with the freedom they have. it was a meme years ago but streaming makes content popularity depend more directly on its quality. they can build a new market

>that best girl doujin

It goes out of business.
Because why would anything nice ever happen on this planet?

>Prolapse
No fucking thanks kiddo.

>Suppose someone were to start an animation studio with everything done in house. As in all the writers, animators, artists and whatnot worked at the same place and were paid decent wages. Also suppose that altogether there were maybe anywhere form 50-100 animators and artists all working on the same project to allow for the highest quality while retaining fast output on new episodes for a show, that way it wouldn't take years and years to get a few dozen episodes for a show.
Your studio would go out of business after making 2 episodes, tops, because you wouldn't be able to make nearly enough money to offset the costs. You would have two choices: sell the episodes at a huge loss to whatever network is willing to buy them, or try to sell them at a price that reflects the cost of making them, in which case nobody will buy them. Either way you make no money on this project, you will lose literally tens of millions of dollars in the first month of your operation.

Margins on animation are very thing. That little bit of money is the difference between profit and breaking even.

lol yeah, good luck dont going fucking bankrupt in less than 3 episodes

stop fucking naysaing and do something about it!

thehypedgeek.com/from-start-up-to-tv3-the-glue-studios-story/

That's literally how shit like secret of kells and song of the sea gets funded. Nobody else invests in movies like that, especially not random millionares.

You just connect with a lot of different affluent people who are lower higher class at best.

But you're assuming there aren't additional issues with outsourcing that end up costing extra money.