What makes an archetype character work?

What makes an archetype character work?

I'm trying to make my own characters who are archetypes, but I don't want them to come off as rip-offs

They don't. Think of something new you lazy faggot

>I'm Superman, but I don't save anyone because racism
This one doesn't work.

Any better archetype characters?

Storytelling involves archetypes or plot tropes in one way or another. Don't tell me that any fastman, strongman, warrior dude, animal person, energy holder, and woman are original characters.

people will smooch up Star Wars, DBZ, Pokemon,
PPG, Flintstones, and Looney Tunes. But don't care if they were inspired by preexisting concepts/characters

they do something the original character does but adds a piece of zest in their stories

Moon Knight has insanity, egypt, and short stylized stories

Flintstones literally happened because Hanna-Barbera wanted to do the Honeymooners as a cartoon but couldn't get the rights to it.

but still successful

bump for discussion interest

Exploring the archetype in as a character or in the context of the world that the original/typical archetype isn't usually allowed to.

To beat a dead horse, All Might does a good job of exploring a what's essentially Superman in that world, while not exactly the same he hits the right notes but he also has all his personal bullshit as well as the baggage of that world.

Like if a Batman type of dude was in a desert wasteland? Or Cyclops in the poor side of Dallas Texas?

I mean, I'm not sure if that's a reference to something. but I guess that could work so long as they take advantage of the situation.

Whose your favorite arc character?

>new

You don't know what the word "archetype" means, do you?

DBZ and Pokemon are so far removed from their original inspirations they no longer factor into the appeal.

>I'm trying to make my own characters who are archetypes, but I don't want them to come off as rip-offs

Ok. Well, what's your starting point? Batman archetype? Superman archetype?

pic related 2 obscure x-men characters/Rex and Agent 6

Like, I wanna do a young, cocky, inexperienced character and his older serious guardian

The young, cocky, inexperince character has a Superman powerset while the guardian character is a practical fighter who uses weapons

the racisms asked him to stop saving people

i don't get why the x-men bother saving anyone desu

Invincible is the pinacle of archetypes and I question how they succeeded on not making the series rehash itself with
>X character but with Y characteristics

Do parodies count as archetypes? If so, add Venture Bros.
Do they have more in common with the characters than basic powers/lack thereof?

>Do they have more in common with the characters than basic powers/lack thereof?
Trying to think of what I can do to expand the character depth. It's hard, as I really just feel like connecting beat for beat story lines, but that wouldn't be right

I mean you don't need to force it, if all it is, is superficial then just continue on with the story you have at hand rather than try really hard to make it Superman and Batman.

Ben Tennyson and Grandpa Max's dynamic in the original Ben 10 series

There's a difference between an archetype and a genre convention. Otherwise all those pages in tv tropes would be archetypes.

woman isnt an archetype

"the" woman, though - whole different story

A story that operates under that logic.

Archetypes are essentially advanced roles that transcend "trope" status and get at the very foundation of what makes story structures appealing. If your main interested is an archetypal character, you must take the singular emotion invoked by that role and make it so that his or her actions speak that sentiment more than words easily could. This should make you consider the intended message of your story more than anything.

Archetypes are a foundation rather than instant "complex characters." Like with architecture, if your entire aim is around the foundation, whatever your making will either be intentionally minimalistic or lazy, or both.

>Superman
Nah, he's Sentry, same vague but overpowered power set, same "greatest hero ever but somehow forgotten", same evil counterpart crap

Sentry is literally triumph, triumph is miracleman, and miracleman is captain marvel . Captain marvel is superman. Fucking casual.