So what do you think of their comics? Label 619 especially (Mutafukaz, Freaks Squeele, Zombillenium)

So what do you think of their comics? Label 619 especially (Mutafukaz, Freaks Squeele, Zombillenium)

Mediocre stuff with decent art made to apppeal to slightly edgy teenagers and manchildren. It fills its niche fine.

Any books you read, and your thoughts on it?

Mutafukaz, some years ago. I got suckered in by the art and ended up reading all of it, don't remember much.

Also they're still on my shelf and I gotta say they look nice, they're better shelf warmers than comics.

How come you bought all of them if you didn't enjoy them much? (also where d'you live?)

I live in Switzerland, and I pretty much only buy comics when I visit my mom in Brittany (France) because there's a nice little book shop close to where she lives that I like to support. Anyway on one of my visits I bought the first MF album, liked the art, went back and bought the 2 others. The appeal of the art sort of petered out after a while.

On my shelf they're next to pic related which is pretty much the same type of deal (but slightly better imo): great art, B movie tier writing.

*the 3 others

Anyway OP, what about you, what's your take on those?

I live in France.

Bought the first volume, found it really pretty but the story didn't attract me much.
I am however a huge fan of the production value, the look of the books that label makes, and the fact that authors have such freedom.

It feels like a bunch of energetic youngsters making whatever they feel like making and it always looks great.

So yeah, the writing is not that deep in what I read in either Mutafukaz or Doggybags, but I love how it looks.

Also Ankama published Kairos, which i loved too.

I'm deep into it right now cause I have something i'd love to work on with them.

Yeah the quality of the book itself was also a reason MF caught my eye in the first place.

Good on you, m8, hope you make it, gambare.

Maskemane is comic kino

Arigato!

>Zombillenium
That's Dupuis, not Ankama.

Label 619 is a bit all over the place. I'm not sure Kairos, La Belle Mort or Shangri-La, and Mutafukaz appeal to the same kind of people.

Freaks Squeele is pretty great and Zombillenium is fun but I'm still waiting on the next volume.

Thanks for correcting me. I got it mixed up somehow.

I need to check it out

Zombillenium, Kairos and Freaks Squeele were all quite enjoyable.
Some of the Wakfu comics were good too.

Was at the festival de la bd of Angoulême Just now and found out about Shangri-la. Still not a fan of how the author draw human beings but the fx, story board and story itself seemed cool.

What do you think of the nominations and prices?

WHat's the french comic industry like? Are authors nice people?

>prices
prizes

Have read none, but will check out the Mutafukaz movie. Shouldn't be that far away now for it to release.

>What's the french comic industry like? Are authors nice people?
Really depends. You find some big shoots that are still super cool (Weinberg and Cauvin), some are complete assholes (Arleston), some are very cold (Caza).
The little ones are usually very decent people.
Mind, that's only my personal experience; maybe Caza would be BFF with someone else, and Cauvin full of disdain in another time.
But Arleston will always be an asshole.

>But Arleston will always be an asshole.
Why?

Your comment on the little ones being decent people makes it sound like the older guys with more notoriety are not.

I think i'm asking because I have this recurring impression that the french comic industry is kinda self important and arrogant/elitist

I'm french and work in the industry too but am kinda burnout by the shitty atmosphere surrounding the festival so I didn't follow the nominees. Les beaux eyes seemed nice, at least artistically. I'll get them later.
Got my hands on the last two Zao Dao works and a few indie things. The Urazawa event was great.

>burnout by the shitty atmosphere surrounding the festival
Explain please

Editors act like cunts, most authors are usually pretty chill. It all depends I you get to them in front of the spotlights or in a more confidential way. But fans are literal monkeys so I'd get tired of them FAST

>Editors act like cunts, most authors are usually pretty chill
You got stories? No one will know it's you user.

Arleston is an asshole because he's one of the most conceited, arrogant and self-loving people I've met, while his main achievement is milking franchises full of low tricks and basic titillation.
He would be a complete asshole even if he wrote stories like Hugo Pratt, but instead he's just an european Rob Liefeld. Overblown for some unknown reason.

For the notorious guys, the impression may be due to the fact that they are usually swarmed by fans at festivals, so they have to reach war production level of output, and the interaction can suffer as a result. Can't blame them for trying to draw for as many people as possible, tho.

The littles ones you can discuss with (sometimes. french comic festivals are crammed since a decade or so, even in obscure villages)
The only annoying comments I've had from semi-famous guys was one "I won't sign paper sheets, they always end up on ebay", as I didn't want to buy an album since I already had everything he published in my library.

Sorry don't have too much time tonight, will dev more later if I remember.
But angouleme is a cash grabbing bunch of cunts with retarded standards and the council usually have close to ni vision. At least the seemed to have nominated Blain this year who clearly deserve some fame. To tell you how much of a shitshow it became, there was no 24hour of bd this year because the last time it happened the city tried to sell the rights to get it edited without any compensation to the authors.
LGBT events about fay super heroes get more exposure by the organization than movements of protest from authors about the shitty conditions we're in (reminder than when you pay 12eu to get a EU comic authors have only 1eu to share between artist, scenarist and any eventual colorist). What I'm spouting isn't specifically relevant but it's all contributing to the rotting aspect if the medium.

Sorry nothing specifically but authors are usually contrived by whatever the editor got in mind for them no matter how dumb it sounds. And all the weird shit about people skipping in.lines or else come from events or VIP givings by editors.
If you roam around, reading blogs or shit you'll end up with a lot of stories. Authors talk usually way more than they should for their sake.

Wasn't there a change in the tax paid by french comic authors recently, that hit them pretty hard?

>(reminder than when you pay 12eu to get a EU comic authors have only 1eu to share between artist, scenarist and any eventual colorist)
Yeah that's kind fucked up.

I'd love some stories so I hope you'll post some tomorrow.

Shame they haven't done much Wakfu/Dofus related comics nowadays