2000AD

Let's keep on talking about the Galaxy's Greatest Comics. Previous thread (including Dredd vs not TMNT, Tales From the Black Museum and Nikolai Dante storytimes):

Other urls found in this thread:

armchairadventurerblog.com/2018/01/16/episode-18-part-1-judge-dredd-rpg-with-marc-gascoigne/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hopy shit a new thread. When's Deadworld coming back, dammit? I dunno how much longer I can wait.

So last time we met Henry Dubble, guide to the Hall of Justice's Black Museum. But who exactly is he? And how did he get such a wonderful job? Let's find out...

Ssssooooooon... maybe.

OK so whats the deal on the Pat Mills-verse?

I've been hearing that if you read Dredd, Flesh!, Savage, ABC Warriors and Nemesis the Warlock it all somehow fits in to a coherent universe.

>almost Hershey's face is cut off by the top of the cake
What the heck.

>Coherent
That's one way to call it. But yeah, all of Mills' strips have ties. So for instance, Satanus the Tyrannosaur, from Dredd's Cursed Earth epic, is the clone son of Old One-Eye, the main antagonist from Flesh!. Meanwhile, Hammerstein from ABC Warriors fought in the Volgan Wars depicted in Savage, and the Warriors themselves survived long enough to be still kicking around in Nemesis' time.
In later days Mills has been a lot tighter and more interesting about it, with stuff like the current Savage series showing the genesis of the ABC Warriors and their development from clunky/faulty Hammersteins to more independent fighting machines, but the original Millsverse is one of those things that works so long as you don't get too wrapped up in it. Especially once The Black Hole happens...

I don't know about coherent but there are a bunch of references in Pat's strips to other 2000ad stories. Like Satanus showing up in Dredd and Nemesis and linking both strips to Flesh. Best to think of it as a multivers

>open for a whopping two hours for two days every week
I guess the voucher that guy with the goldfish got wasn't good for much after all, huh.

At least we know she's smiling.

>best to think of it as a multivers
Ahh, the John Smith Maneuver.

Always look a gift horse in the mouth if it comes from Justice Dept. There's probably a judge inside.

Did they dispatch an all-female squad to the site, judging by the faces and second to last panel? Nice.

The End...?

>tfw you pull a scam and next thing you know six hot buff babes in leather are kicking down your door
Living the Absolute Dream.

Hey what's the name of the Brit-Cit occult detective? The one with the skeletal sheep's head?

Oh shit, new guide lady is cute.

>jaywalk across the way
>one year in the cubes to start
>get caught by six feet of helmeted tits and abs
>munceghetti falls out of pockets
>get another year for littering
>such is life in the Big Meg

Inspector Strange. The story with him and Darke was just collected/reprinted not too long ago, sort of long (50ish pages?) but will dump if you want/J-A isn't up to the task/is busy/w/e. Apparently Strange showed up in Devlin Waugh first but I don't have that appearance on hand.

You're thinking of Judge Strange, from Strange and Darke.

For the user asking about 2000ad merch in the last thread, look out for the old reaction figures line on ebay. Not as detailed as some more modern figures but still fun.

And here's an interview with the developer of GWs Dredd rpg for more information on that.
armchairadventurerblog.com/2018/01/16/episode-18-part-1-judge-dredd-rpg-with-marc-gascoigne/

Man, I've been reading Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! The Secret History of 2000AD by Pat Mills and it is such a juicy read.

Mills really lays it on the line with all kinds of stories about how 2000AD was developed in the first few years.

Here are some bullet points
>Carlos Esqurra's version of Mega-City is still the best in his opinion.
>Torquemada from Nemesis was based on a nasty monk who was his teacher growing up in a Catholic school. This monk was also the partial basis for Dredd.
>He mentions having to "talk of the ledge" a number of artists who where suicidal about their deadlines.
>Although he likes Ballad of Halo Jones, he points out this was when the magazine stopped trying to please the general readership and started focusing on the small minority of the fans.
>He blames the decline of British comics on the "suits" who ran IPC and the handing over of editorial duties to "fans". He said this produced some of the worst era's in the magazine's history in the late 90's.
>He calls out the editorial from that era for not respecting Gerry Finley-Day for his contribution to the creation of 2000AD.
>He say that the magazine has wasted to much time in Hollywood trying to get movie deals made that end up going nowhere.

By all means, feel free to storytime away!

Interesting stuff. And yeah, I actually have that exact same Anderson figure. She has an... interesting body sculpt, but the absolute worst posture of any action figure I've ever seen.

That’sssssss what Ssssssidney wantssssss...

Would you rather be a Wally than a street Judge, JA?

My favorite is the story about working with Tony Skinner on Finn and being told by some editor with pink-dyed hair that "We can't have a WITCH writing for 2000AD!". The sheer lack of self-awareness, man...
But yeah, the book's really interesting. A bit scatterbrained at times, but you can tell it's stuff Mills thinks very passionately about. And to his credit, he actually walks the walk: he recently published a Carlos Ezquerra coloring book through his own self-owned publishing house, Millsverse. So it's clear that he's very much Carlos' number one fan.
Also, the stories about the Requiem launch parties in France... holy shit, Pat, save some fun for the rest of us.
Oh yeah, the audiobook is also out, in case you want like three hours of his dulcet tones talking shit about Paddy McGinty's Goat in your ear. I know I did.

Sweet. Lemme get some cream soda and affix my cardboard badge here. Won't be as fast as a normal dump 'cause I've got poor upload speed and a heavy dislike of captchas, but fuck it, it's this or shoveling snow!

IIRC this was a pack-in with a semi-recent Megazine, where they stick a reprint of some older material- sometimes Dredd related, sometimes not- as a separate thingie at the back. Good way to read stuff you wouldn't see otherwise, especially if you've started collecting the main Dredd series with the Complete Case files, which only includes direct strips from 2000AD itself, and not the Mega-Collection, which collects things by topic/subject and includes stuff from the Meg.

I’d describe it as Mills throwing references in but not giving any any fucks about continuity.

There we go.

Well, look at it this way: only one of those could theoretically have official permission to post comics on the internet. Wink wink.

Awww yeah, those mini TPBs are a masterstroke. It's a joy to go looking for an old series and finding out it's all there in the Meg, ripe for ripping and posting.]

>Carlos Esqurra's version of Mega-City is still the best in his opinion.
That's not really an opinion, is it? I'd say it's plain fact. Papa Ezquerra draws largely the best Dredd/MC1 stuff in general, even the little things like the offset zippers he gives the uniforms are just unique enough to be put above pretty much everyone else. I wonder if the other artists all stick to the centered zippers out of ignorance or out of respect?

Yes, the whole thing is like this. Hold on to your butts.

To the Year One!

Brit-Cit apparently has looser outfit restrictions than MC1, that's for sure, even if they haven't quite descended to the level of shorts-and-floppy-hats as the judges of Oz.

Ooh, now she's a bit of alright

>Apparently Strange showed up in Devlin Waugh first but I don't have that appearance on hand.
I think it's the orgy one?

Mills also makes a point that Ezquerra drew the best Mega-City One, especially that image from the end of prog 2, with the super alien spires and the impossible highways, where Dredd himself is dwarfed by it. By comparison, everyone else's MC-1 is either blocky af (Ron Smith's) or more squatty and jam-packed (Mick McMahon). Which is something incredibly hard to argue against.

Ooof, speaking of hot designs...

Full disclaimer: Darke does things to me, and I'm not sure if it's the hair, the eyes, or the, uh, 'extra orifice.' Even if she's not Judge Hershey, she's my original British Psi-judge, Blershey.

With all the talk of role playing games in the previous thread beginning to think better to rather be Player Character judges in Britain than America.

Wonder if it's just a tendency to take the phrase 'city block' and run mostly with the 'block' part, but honestly it's better to not think too hard about MC1's infrastructure in general.

>DEAD I AM THE RAT, FEAST UPON THE CAT
Wish I had a higher res version of that face in the last panel.

All right, That's Judge Mortis in a trenchcoat.

I think it's that and also running hard on the idea of MC-1 being overcrowded and jam-packed with people, while also a crime-ridden shithole. So you get stuff like McMahon's pillbox design for the blocks, which look bloated and bursting before you even get inside. Ezquerra's alien spires, haunting and beautiful as they are, don't really seem built to hold 400 million people.
Still, I'm always of the idea that MC-1 is big enough that you can have sectors that are all crazy spires, and others where it looks more Blade Runner.

Side note: is it just me or are Brit-Cit Judges in general way more lenient on language that involves normal 21st century cussing, instead of MC1's drokks, stomms and gruds?

She's got legs, alright.

>orgy
Alright, now I'm interested.

No dude, that's my other original character, Judge Blortis. Presumably his completely coincidental visual similarity to ol' cow-head is ignored by the Brit-Cit populace enough to where he has a TV show, because in general the Brits are directly behind the residents of NYC in terms of not giving a fuck about things.

>All people with animal skull heads look alike to me
Racist

>inb4 someone points out one is a cow and the other is a horse, or one is a sheep, or one is a Shoggoth or some other creature I've never seen the skull of or couldn't identify anyway

It's basically a magic sex pollen story. Devlin has been infected with sex pollen, ends up on the big zoo spaceship of magical species Strange is looking after... queue horrible monster orgy.

>Let's breed the supernatural abominations and home them in the post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland
Oh that sounds like a fan-fucking-TASTIC idea...

This has to be one of the best pages MacNeil's ever drawn. And that's saying something.

MC1 is actually a really good unintentional analogue for present day New York: millions of people across a massive area and the only place anyone gives a fuck about is the city/the area of MC1 built directly on top of it. I don't see any stories coming up about venturing into the Undercity and going past Rod Serling's hometown and how all the mutants and magic of Dredd's world have turned the whole thing into its own Twilight Zone hellhole, or having to get rid of an illicit repurposed weapons manufacturing ring going on in the old Ithaca Gun Company HQ. Nah, it's always the island with the Coca-Cola signs and Batman 37 on the old theater walls.

>Mermen eyeing up the land woman
Fookin typical, bet they are descended from dolphins.

Why, why would you breed shit like Harpies, they are literally ecosystem destroyers with all the worst qualities of humans and seagulls.

Then again, Ithaca razed that factory to the ground years ago anyway so that's probably a bad example, now there's just an old smokestack and a whole buncha ground pollution surrounded by the most despicable smorgasbord of rich college students and washed-up yuppies in Volvos that you'll ever see. But hey, upstate references!

You never know when you might need one.

I used to think his art was always kind of samey, really rounded and smooth and not a lot of detail in places where I'd expect or on characters I'm used to, but it's really grown on me over time.

Ugh, the Undercity is such a fucking great setting. But yeah, the closest we've had to that have been Tempest and that bit in Necropolis with the Ohio river. Plus all the Troggies. Would love to see a hotdog run into the Undercity or something.

>image disappeared from reply window
MOOOOOOOOOOOT

>MOOOOOOOOOOOT
who?

>Then again, Ithaca razed that factory to the ground years ago anyway so that's probably a bad example
Considering the few bits of New York we see in the Undercity are perpetually frozen in Taxi Driver time, I don't think that'd be a problem.

Does that chair have, a, uh.

Also, MacNeil's problem for me is that you can very easily tell when he doesn't really care enough about the art. He's still incredibly solid, but you compare this to most of his modern Dredd output, for instance, and the gulf is immense. Although I have a sneaking suspicion the colorists also have something to do with that...
Loved seeing him play with graytones in Defoe last year. Best art I've seen from him since his painted days.

No such thing as private thoughts when Darke is around.

Dammit user, just because Chris Poole block got blown up doesn't mean we can't still shout its name in anger.

I think that might be part of why I love Deadworld so much, seeing a world get completely fucked up that's way closer to our own technologically because it's being penned right now instead of forty years ago. The hard part of sci-fi isn't predicting what current tech will look like in a few decades- it's imagining what entirely new stuff will have been invented that no one would have even dreamed of. See also: all the old VISIONS OF THE FUTURE stuff in early 20th century copies of PopSci and PopMech.

It's never nice to say an artist doesn't care about their art, but I can kind of get what you mean. Defoe came about last year not long after I'd started actually getting the weekly progs instead of just reading Sup Forums dumps and finding downloads for older stuff online (think I started with whichever prog had the first installment of Fall of Deadworld, actually), and boy was it a good time to jump in.

Aww.

Captcha before posting: five and counting.

>Not that I'd kick her out of bed in a hurry
So is that Strange or Darke's thought's the mouth is broadcasting?

Strange's. He may have a cow head but he's only human. The mouth broadcasts the the occasional thoughts of anyone nearby, not just Darke herself.

Hers and those of people around her.

>her
It's Jerry's thoughts, the old goat.

Snark level: Postal Dude.

Those ruffled sleeves give Darke a really silly-looking silhouette when she's drawn in shadow.

Such language. No grud on a greenies to be found here.

Still use drokk though

Still not 100% sure how Darke's hair works. Still like it a lot.

fucking public schoolboys