How come both Marvel and DC have a Captain Marvel and they are both getting films?

How come both Marvel and DC have a Captain Marvel and they are both getting films?
Which Captain Marvel do you prefer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AFyWQTtIqkk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

captain marvel

Fawcett Comics created Captain Marvel and then got bought out by DC probably just because they wanted to piss off Marvel comics who got into a copyright conflict with DC eventually causing DC to rename him to Shazam! for a while.

none of them are really very good

but I guess Billy>Mar-Vell>Carol

Which one has the broadest shoulders at the moment?

Big Red Cheese is the best Marvel

I like Billy Batson the most

I love Carol, that's why I'm glad they got rid of her problematic costume and haircut and body and personality and backstory and origin so everyone can properly appreciate what a great character she is.

Marvel should dig up Prime and stick him in 616 under the Captain Marvel name.

>and personality
Hey now, she's still a cunt.

Just call him Shazam already, everyone else moved on

Billy Batson. He has a superior supporting cast and a rogue's gallery worth a damn.

I like Billy the most but Carol/Mar-Vell/Monica are pretty cool to me.
Was gonna read more of Mar-Vell's comics soon because he's starting to really grow on me.

>How come both Marvel and DC have a Captain Marvel
DC bought out Fawcett, creators of Captain Marvel (Superman's biggest economic rival in the Golden Age) then mothballed the property. Then Marvel made Captain marvel because the trademark had expired so DC tried to rename him Shazam.

>both getting films
DC Captain Marvel is (was?) probably a test to see if MCU-style DC movies could work.
Marvel Captain Marvel is getting a movie because Marvel has been trying to meme Carol into being an important pop culture character like Wonder Woman.

>Which Captain Marvel do you prefer?
Billy

DC doesn't have a Captain Marvel

DC has a Shazam

National (who would later rebrand as DC) forced Fawcett's comic division out of business via repeated (and probably spurious) lawsuits in the late 40s and early 50s

they then waited until a full decade after Atlas (who had been Timely) became Marvel and a full five years after the debut of Marvel Comics' Captain Marvel to *rent*, not buy, the reprint and live action rights to the Fawcett back catalog, and another five years (and more spurious lawsuits, which were settled very quickly when DC's lawyers explained that no, trademark law doesn't work like that) before actually buying the Fawcett back catalog, which they basically did just to spite Marvel and prevent Fawcett selling it to the competition

shame he died in '53

welcome to Sup Forums, where still fighting the battles of childhood 50 years on is the new normal

Carol is the best.

>everyone else moved on
No we haven't.

Reminder that Billyfags are HUGE fucking babies and would rather keep Billy stagnant.

And butt don't forget the butt

Shazam is the Wizard's name.

Not anymore.

This. Fucking casuals

I would say something about "carolfags" but no one likes her.

You're trying too hard to fit in.

>shame

So did MarVel, dude, so did MarVel

My peenus is FITTING IN you're mom

>probably a test to see if MCU-style DC movies could work.

Nope

>Marvel Captain Marvel is getting a movie because Marvel
Same reason Black Panther is getting a solo movie. Same reason Feige is passing around rumors that a Black Widow ScarJo movie is in pre-production/'the works'

I prefer Billy Mar-Vell

I have no fucking idea what you think you're saying here.

Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel are both good. Captain Carl sucks.

Go fuck yourself

The short version is that Captain Marvel (SHAZAM) was a Fawcett Comics character in the Golden Age. He was beating Superman in sales and DC got super butthurt about that, so DC sued Fawcett Comics into oblivion because they claimed that Captain Marvel was a Superman rip-off.

As a result of Fawcett going under because of DC's butthurt lawsuit, there was no longer a Captain Marvel on the stands for many years. This caused the Captain Marvel trademark to lapse. Since the Captain Marvel trademark was now available, Marvel decided to make their own character named Captain Marvel, unrelated to the Fawcett Comics Captain Marvel.

After Fawcett fully went under, DC bought the rights to all of Fawcett's characters (as buying up any characters from defunct superhero comic publishers was DC's MO at the time to try and get a monopoly on the superhero comic market). However, they didn't buy them because they had any interest in Captain Marvel, but rather because they saw Captain Marvel as a threat to Superman's popularity and didn't want anyone ELSE buying him up. As such, they sat on his rights instead of publishing any comics starring him until the 70s. By that point, Marvel had already firmly established their claim over the Captain Marvel trademark with their own Captain Marvel character.

This is why any Captain Marvel products from DC had to be called "SHAZAM!" because while they could use the Captain Marvel character, they couldn't market his comic as "Captain Marvel" without the trademark, which Marvel Comics owned. After decades of calling his comic SHAZAM!, his character had become so much more associated with the name "SHAZAM!" than that of "Captain Marvel" that DC decided it would be easier to just rename Captain Marvel to Shazam, which they did with the New 52 reboot of the character.

As for my favorite Captain Marvel, that would be Marvelman, the UK's version of Captain Marvel which would later be renamed to Miracleman due to another legal clusterfuck.

>Which Captain Marvel do you prefer?
This one.

Pleb.

Billy>Mar-Vell>Monica>Khn'r>Genis-vell>Noh-Varr>>>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>>>>that one crazy skrull Mar-Vel>>Phyla-Vell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carol

>Liking that thing
No way fag

Try using Google and figure out how for yourself

Reminder that CarlManfags got so butthurt when Zachary Levi said he was playing the ORIGINAL Captain marvel and he wasn't wrong.

They have Shazam as the copyright but they can still use the name Captain Marvel. Shazam's director is using Shazam as the name for the Wizard.

It remains to be seen if they have the balls to call Billy's alter ego Captain Marvel.

That Billyfags want the same shit over and over and over again trying to pretend its the 40s
>Pointing that out somehow magically makes me a Carolfag
Nice try. No one gives a fuck about Carol

Billy and Kamala team up when?

Fawcett starting losing sales before the 1948 trail date, they continued to lose sales at the re-hearing. As with MANY other publishers, by the Silver Age super hero comics were a dead on-going concern, save for Superman and Batman, and Fawcett was trying to do HORROR with their lines (which is what was popular at the time) and that failed. Your 'short' version is slanted and, at best, slightly inaccurate at parts but wholly incomplete and significantly inaccurate by and large.

Move aside

>stretchy longarms teaming up with a walking demigod
What's the bitch even supposed to do, hold his beer?

I read a hentai like this once

>Captain Carl sucks.

No he doesn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=AFyWQTtIqkk

Cap is too young to drink.

>That blush
Wait, did she do things to him?