When will dungeon and dragons make the leap onto the big screen?? their other movies sucked balls

when will dungeon and dragons make the leap onto the big screen?? their other movies sucked balls
the time is now for true AD&DKino !

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gE6kLeUG87s
youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Basically anything film-related with the title Dungeons and Dragons will be shit. It's just some kind of universal rule

Would a comedy/"Meta" style movie work? Like something where it switches between the characters in the story and the players fucking around?

Jumanji showed this would work. They're just so determined to be LOTR. Basically LOTR success fucked D&D out of their own. D&D should be like an antholoy series like heavy metal or goofy like jumanji. You could have a serious story thats grimdark and edgy, you could have a lot. Trying to have one bland ass tone for the D&D series is the biggest mistake. They need to highlight creativity and different methods of story telling. That's what D&D is about.

>He has forgotten

They're already working on a big screen production, user. I think it's due to 2019.

There are some D&D fanmade/low budget movies around. I've heard they're not too bad at all.

Hasbro is working on one right now. They just need to finish ripping the last of the rights away from WB.

>creative storytelling
>hollywood

pick one

>the time is now for true AD&DKino
First they'd have to bring back AD&D.

>You could have a serious story thats grimdark and edgy, you could have a lot.
They sort of tried that with D&D 2 and 3, it wasn't that great. The closest to good ol' school fantasy movies recently was The Huntsman: Winter's War. There was the Hobbit trilogy, but we all know how the second and third movies went.

Comedies in that niche could be good, as long as you kept the "Epic Movie" crew away from it, I guess.

You may wanna try to find "The Gamers". There's some hilarious over-the-top gaming jokes.

Im very aware they went for grim dark edgy shit, thats why I said it. Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant in an anthology movie one story could be that, because they seem insistent to do it. I don't want it, I know they've done it, but if we got 4 or 5 short stories they can do that because they won't seem to let it go. Heavy Metal has a pretty good variety of tone in their stories.

It be neat if they made a show, based off a campaign. Like, Season 1 and 2 could be Tyranny of Dragons, and so on and so on

How long before this thread starts arguing whether the ginger or the brown girl are best girl.

Hmm I see, makes sense.

If they were still on an AD&D roll, it would be the best fit. They could try to make a Ravenloft segment WITHOUT going too grimderp, more like classic horror movie, and take the opportunity to make some Dark Sun stuff, some Planescape for added weirdness, and of course something Forgotten Realms because they just won't let that one go either.

Uni a SHIT

When the complete clusterfuck of D&D rights ownership is settled. The RPG/books rights, the tv rights, and the film rights are all three separate things split between multiple rights holders, including people who own partial stakes.

If you want a D&D movie watch "Hawk The Slayer".

Eric is the best. He's so great he's even best girl even though he's all man.

I can honesty say that when I was a kid, I hated Eric cos he was a pussy, but as an adult, ! realize he's prolly the only sane one.

Conan the Destroyer

Rewatching the series as an adult is incredibly fucking frustrating. Hank, Bobby, and Sheila are very shallow characters, Diana is basically part of the scenery most episodes, and there are moments when it looks like the writers might do something with Presto only for nothing to happen.

You could have at least said Conan the Barbarian, which is more like a guy running a one-shot but two of the players arrive late.

The show writers ventually explained Eric. Soccer mom groups used to demand that cartoons taught kids conformity. There had to be that one screw-up kid who would go against the consensus. Turns out the writers deliberately wrote "that one kid" to be right a lot of the time.

Haven't watched it in forever, even though I downloaded it, but that's one legit post. The elf archer was Legolas tier.

Kinda wish the different copyright owners could make their own books for older editions. Make D&D big again.

Destroyer is much more like D&D though. Barbarian is what D&D groups want to be.

I wish someone would make a series like this about the all guardsmen party.

>there will never be a good Warhammer movie
>40k either

Dungeons and Dragons is just the costume and trappings of old 60's sword and sorcery, with more bits stolen from the stuff inspired by that stuff in later decades.

It doesn't have any sort of compelling mythos of it's own, whatever the setting, for a motion picture. You could WRITE one for a movie treatment, but then you are just writing a fantasy team movie and slapping Dungeons and Dragons brand on it (and they've already done this, and it wasn't very good).

Warhammer doesn't have good stories.
It's just a bunch of Gods and God-complexes sending forth their witless minions for Endless War. It would just be some 2 hour Weta Studios CGI battle with some overwrought lunatics shouting at each other over the din.
Barely enough coherent story for a miniatures game.

There's this old article in Dragon magazine by Gary Gygax, where he has a meeting with a bunch of execs at a Hollywood studio about how they wanted to make a Dungeons and Dragons movie and he said OK, but first the had to promise it'd be a huge hit and audiences would love it like "Empire Strikes Back" or "Raiders of the Lost Ark." But they wouldn't promise that so he walked out without a deal, and promised readers he'd wait until the right studio would come along and give him what he asked for before he sold them the movie rights.

I have to assume that's the era when he was blowing all that D&D money on coke and fucking models in his hottub in his mansion in the Hollywood Hills.

He also hated Conan the Barbarian, too. I guess he wasn't a lot like my generation of players.

I hope they NEVER make a movie of D&D

Can you imagine how would be the girls new costumes ?

Barbarian is more like what OSR pretends all their games are like, Destroyer is what they're actually like.

Or just do an Eberron movie.

Drachenfels as a story is good enough to stand on its own.

I wouldnt want it to be a full comedy but I think having some characters making a joke would set the film apart from a random fantasy adventure
(because lets face it...the selling point of ADD is that you get to play as a character in a fantasy setting...not that the setting is super interesting)
youd end up with it being "oh this is a rip off of Lord of the Rings" with more monsters

I know amazon is making a LotR series...would have been cooler if they went with ADD (fits better with an on going series)
maybe toss in a heavy metal soundtrack

just do this but better and 90 minutes long.

youtube.com/watch?v=gE6kLeUG87s

I feel like ToA would be a great movie setting but it needs to be spaced out after all the Zombie/Indiana Jones/Jurassic Park fallout

God I want to fuck every character in that show

Thats a fucking Grudge and a half manling.

Also, original Beastmaster movie. There's a decent Amazon movie called "Hundra" that was okay.

They should've fed Bobby to Tiamat. Sheila got some character development with the "Venger's Sister" episode. I wish that Gary had been able to keep control of D&D cos he supposedly had plans for the cartoon.

Guys guys I have an idea that will sell for billions: Jumanji 3/ D&D 3.5 crossover. Who is on borad?

And friggin Jack Palance chewing the scenery like he was a starving demon goat. God, he was great.

>kevin hart = bobby the barbarian
>Karen...sheila the thief
>Jack Black...maybe a that nerdy wizard dude
>Rock....cavalier
also some other people
Vin Diesel loves DnD so he could show up as the voice of some dragon

Vin Diesel as Dungeon Master. Complete with robe and old bald guy makeup with pointy ears.

Wait, if we're talking about a movie similar to the cartoon, I felt like the Narnia movie was about the closest we got. I still like it, at any rate.

Funny how Jeremy Irons was one of the first D&D movie's weaknesses. I love evil "MUWAAHAHAH" villains, but he just wasn't very good. Oh well, he did fine in Eragon I guess.

>vin plays a 3 foot tall dungeon master
i could see that but would he want to play second fiddle to the Rock?

He should've been better, but he seemed to be embarrassed to be there.I'd have thought that a Brit actor would be used to being in cheesy stuff; Shakespeare one minute, Doctor Who the next.

Brown girl is best

vin doesn't seem like the kind of guy to have an ego like that

Firecrotch better.

>when will dungeon and dragons make the leap onto the big screen?
Oh my sweet summer child...

WotC is more busy trying to get the Magic the Gathering movie off the ground, not realizing that it would be better as an animated series.

It only works on tv.

From left to right; Lancer, Saber, Assassin, Caster, Archer, Berserker, And the unicorn is Rider. Also Venger Avenger.

>In before Shielder
Eric lost his sword for the TV version, he was meant to have a sword since the beginning.

Oh that was a masterpiece. Especially the guy that was constantly eating smurf-flavored chapstick.

Fuck you for reminding me we've had three series and none have been Heaven's Feel. Fuck, Heaven's Feel is good enough to be live action.

>hated Conan the Barbarian
Which is why he's in Hell now.

Gamers: Dorkness Rising is a pretty good one. First movie isn't D&D, but it's alright. Third movie is a card game and just kinda sucks

Who would voice the Gatewatch?
Who would voice Bolas?

>Gatewatch
It won't work. They should do something weird like have Garruk, Dovin Baan and couple side characters from post-timefuckery Tarkir take the center.

Having rewatched the show some months back, I can agree. Eric was the best and the only one with character development (DM for a Day being the pivot point)

We all know that is not going to happen. You're getting the Jacetice League and you'll like it.

you mean like Harmonquest?

>Implying it wouldn't be based off Ravnica, Innistrad or Dominaria

Dark Dungeons was great though.
youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ

You can make a D&D movie extremely easily. The trick is that you can't call it a D&D movie. Normal people will be turned off of it instantly, assuming they won't like it and associating it with nerds. No, you need to trick them into watching fantasy movies and television shows. LOTR and GoT should prove this enough.

Maybe we'll get a Fell's Five cartoon, or a Greyhawk film sometime in the future.

Acrobat was one of the first female characters who made me feel funny down there.