How was it Sup Forums?

How was it Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lHyrrfeu794
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty bad. Every time I gave it a chance, I decided I was wasting my time. And most of the mutants besides the turtles looked positively retarded.

It showed a lot of promise, but man Shredder just not getting his comeuppance really dragged on. That and the release schedule killed any interest in the show. Ending was really depressing too.

Jailbait April was the only good thing to come out of this.

Ok, with occasional great moments. Main problem is that they couldn't decide whether they wanted to be goofy or serious. In season 2 they hit a good balance a think, but before and after that it was like some super fucked up shit, followed by a fart joke. Writing towards the end got retarded, in that you'd have 3 episodes of buildup and jobbing and then a rushed conclusion in which one of them suddenly got super competent.
The scheduling was also completely terrible, you'd have one or two episodes air, then 3 months hiatus, then another two episodes.

can’t disagree to that.

I think the problem with most Turtle adaptations is that it gets too weird to the point of having an identity crisis. Are they street level vigilantes, or are they fighting alien invaders who look like triceratops? That kind of thing. I'm not saying a proper balance is impossible, but it most can't seem to do it, same with tone

Better than 87, far below 2K3.

And the writing took a serious nosedive after season 1.

Best action choreography in a TMNT property tho.

I wouldn't even say season one was that good. It was very basic and cliche.

Shinigami a cute

I liked it, probably my favorite TMNT iteration.

I kinda liked that they made Karai into Hamato Yoshi and Tang Shen's daughter.

Needed more hip-hop.

It was good at times, and had some pretty fucked up shit happen, but they had some issues balancing what type of show it was and how competent they were.

schwarbage
I gave up on it when they gave raphael a fear of cockroaches
oh god remember when a mutant spider somehow looked like a rabbid
and then they brought back mutagen man but made him look like a rabbid thing too? jesus. art director shouldve been fired
Her head looked all fucked though.

Why was 2012 Shredder so mentally ill and autistic?

It was decent but not great

Nice rendition and great action scenes. The humor can be over the top some... many times, but a nice series.

Solid 7.

I liked it. Had some really good fight scenes.

Like every TMNT series, it started off really strong, but by the end I couldn't bring myself to care for it anymore. It just didn't know how to actually end character arcs and even outright reversed character development a lot of the time.

Like, Splinter "died" THREE times in this damn series. By the time he died for real instead in of feeling sadness I could only say "fucking finally".

Also, Casey was the absolute worst. He was both useless and insufferable, which the last thing fucking Casey of all people should be.

Started off good, then took an enormous nosedive in season 3 and never recovered.

Shredder, despite them trying to make him scary, came off as an idiot. His voice was extremely generic too.

Casey was the fucking worst. It was the first time Jones was unlikable.

I also didn't like how Dregg felt so unmemorable when there's so much you could do with him.

I will give the show this: Kraang Sub Prime was fucking awesome, and his introduction was beautiful.

>I will give the show this: Kraang Sub Prime was fucking awesome, and his introduction was beautiful.

Yeah, he was so good that he basically supplanted Kraang Prime as the main Kraang enemy. Too bad he wound up as one of the many unresolved subplots in the show. They made it a point to show him getting marooned in the Mirage TMNT universe, like we were gonna get a storyline about that. But nope. Fuckin sucks.

wasteland episode was cool wish it was an entire season instead of the space ones

>Shinigami a cute

No point to her character, though.

Mediocre, then good, then mediocre, then just plain weird.

>How was it Sup Forums?

Just like the 80s series in that you can pick out single good episodes, but the series on the whole was bad. There was no long game plotted, so the seasons kept repeating the same storylines over and over again. The Tales of the TMNT season got out of the rut and did some fun stuff, but was a waste of a last season since it made no effort to resolve any of the lingering plot threads.

A resounding meh.

The show, as others had mentioned, was too confused as to what it really wanted to be, which dragged its quality down greatly. Not helped by all the plot reuse and characters that grated quickly. Seasons 3 & 4 in particular suffered many of these flaws.

And as said, it's more a series where you can pretty much pick and chose a a good episode by itself, but as a series itself, it's not great.

Not as good as 2K3

/thread

2k3 shat the bed super hard in its last two seasons (FF, BTTS). People seem to forget that and act like there was nothing between season 5 and Turtles Forever. Fuck, even season 5 was pretty bad with all that mystic dragon and anime special move name callouts shit.

They actually managed to use cgi in a decent manner ill give them credit for that at least, the writing suffered, and the ending literally came out of nowhere imo.

I liked the final battle between the turts and Shredder. The North Hampton arc sucked. The turtles' brotherly relationship with each other was one of my favorite things, and how Raph went from being a bully to actually cring about his brothers in the later seasons.

I got bored of it halfway through the first season due to the inactive subplots and monster-of-the-week formula that involved lackluster creature designs. I tried giving it a chance again when the second season came out, but the show ended up having the same problems.

>but was a waste of a last season since it made no effort to resolve any of the lingering plot threads.

How much stuff DID the series leave unresolved, anyway?

>What happened to April's mom
>Kraang Sub-Prime in the Mirage universe
>Mutagen Man getting restored
>Does April choose Donnie, Casey or neither

Anything else?

Fuck this show. The turtles were the cause of many of the conflicts and the action scenes kept using inappropriate amounts of slowmo.

>>Does April choose Donnie, Casey or neither

If a show is going to introduce a love triangle, which is always awful, and then stretch it out over 5 seasons, the least they could do is resolve it. Fuck, they had the perfect chance to let it go in season 3 when Donnie tells April he's ready to move on, but then she kisses him and keeps it going for another two seasons. They pulled that shit and then didn't bother tying it up.

I guess the biggest problem with the 2012 TMNT cartoon was shitty writers.

These anons sum it up the best. I also have to add in that while I enjoyed some things, like the broship of bebop and rocksteady, the personalities of the turtles in ways, and easily the best Rat King in the series voiced by the god tier Jeffery Combs, as well as best Splinter, they dropped the ball so god damn much with everything else. It always led to nowhere, so building up things meant nothing at all in the end. It’s what really upset me about the show, like these anons said. Shredder pissed me off in the wrong way, and splinter dying 3 times took any shock value of the actual moment he died. They squandered a lot of plots and moments as well. And that whole April/Donnie situation never getting resolved also was just something that irked a lot of people since they just dropped it then picked it up again. This show really didn’t have much of a direction after S1/S2.

But it literally suffered from almost the exact same issues. The decline in quality is even similar. The only thing the 2k3 turtles did better was Casey, and that was because he was just the movie version.

>Anything else?

If the Half-Shell Heroes spinoff is canon, then that one ended on a cliffhanger that never got followed up on.

Best template for the Turtles themselves, despite any writing quality.

>Fuck, they had the perfect chance to let it go in season 3 when Donnie tells April he's ready to move on, but then she kisses him and keeps it going for another two seasons.

Oh that was the fucking WORST. I genuinely wanted to see Donnie move on and grow from that but then they purposefully stagnate his character while making April look bad at the same time. It doesn't even make sense as to why she would tease him like that, since she was effectively ignoring him up until then.

>best Splinter

Most overrated Splinter and no he would be great if 1) they didn't do so many "Splinter dies!" fake outs 2) They did NOT make Splinter/Hamato Karai's father.

The only thing being the biological father of Karai did for this rendition of Splinter is make him look like an uncaring deadbeat.

"Oh woe is me I know my daughter is alive and in my enemy's hands, what shall I do? Oh I will do what most previous Splinters do. Sit back and do nothing while letting my students/sons deal with the real conflict. Aren't I just the best father?"

The writers may not have intended to portray Splinter badly, but that stupid idea sneakily makes him look like an irresponsible father who is indifferent and cannot bother to get off his ass to help his biological child. Keep in mind he probably is is shown to care more for April than Karai. That's why I hate this dumb decision. I'm so glad that IDW Splinter didn't try to adapt such a dumbass idea.

The show in general is the opposite of Adventure Time. In AT the plot threads that are introduced each season are resolved in the most unsatisfying fashion to return to Status Quo is God. In TMNT 2012 we get the reverse. Plot threads are introduced but rarely resolved.

So did the final dvd came out yet? Any new shorts that would hopefully cancel out that shit ending from the final season?

Shit. 2003 is still the better series.

The thing is, TMNT 2012 started declining in quality from season 2, TMNT 2k3 started declining in season 5

Dogpound and Xever were the result of the show trying to replace Bebop and Rocksteady because Laird HATES HATES HATES them and Krang, because they were from the '87 cartoon and more popular than Laird's bullshit ninja garbage villains.

Nah, I'd honestly say it really went to shit around season 4. That space arc is irredeemable trash.

The space arc was a thousand time better than the borring-ass North Hampton arc.

Jailbait April was the only thing good that came out of it

Fuck no, Casey alone is enough to make me want season 2 over 4 any day. He was at least tolerable in 2, 4 Flandarized him to hell and back.

Even at his worst, 2K3 Casey was blatantly better than the useless moron in 2012.

Also that Mikey was goofy, but not goofy to the point of being braindead and nearly dooming his brothers several times (Even in the fucking sneak preview of the show.) in 2012.

April being around the turtles' age also works better than being a grown woman following teenagers, as well as her resembling Sora from Digimon.

Too bad a major part or the time, especially later on, all she did was bitch about things not going her way.

I liked it but it kinda went downhill after a while.

>April being around the turtles' age also works better than being a grown woman following teenagers
Why? It's not like the turtles have anything in common with human teens, they could easily be in their 20s as well.

I wish he was the main Kraang from the beginning. He was a fantastic update on 80s Krang.

>It doesn't even make sense as to why she would tease him like that, since she was effectively ignoring him up until then
She's a petty teenager girl, she needs attention

Fuck the writers so hard for shoving in that retarded fucking triangle and romantic subplot, then never actually doing anything with it whatsoever. It made April come off as a cocktease and a bitch.

it was okay for the most part
casey sucked
april should have gotten with donnie in the end
the finale (mad max ending) was good.
shredder sucked
kurai and splinter never fully embraced each other as father/daughter

I guess to be fair to the show, I'll list the things they actually did right imo.
>God tier Rat King
>Good Splinter
>Top level voice casting for the Turtles (minus Seth Green)
>Favorite Donatello interpretation
>Based Kraang Sub Prime
>Interesting reinvention of the Mighty Mutanimals, and good Leatherhead and Spike iterations
>Focus on the ninja aspect in the first season
>Starting Shredder out as way too strong for the Turtles
>Slowly integrating Robot Foot Soldiers
>Funny jokes from time to time, like Ice Cream Kitty and Cheese Phone
>Bebop and Rocksteady, while not the same, were still fun
>Wharf Triceraton

April was an annoying bitch and was only called out once in one of the best scenes in the series, when Donnie said something about wanting a sidekick that doesn't talkback.

I wish we got more jerk donnie, or extremely tempered, like when he was after that one guy in S5.

>minus Seth Green
I think it was neat how they managed to make a logical reason to the change, but fuck man I never got used to Seth Green's voice, and I never particularly liked it anyway.

In other incarnations yes, but the "Teenage" is the very first part of the title, and I'm glad this version actually made that relevant.

>>Funny jokes from time to time, like Ice Cream Kitty
Cheese Phone was great, but Ice Cream Kitty made me skip a few seconds ahead almost every time, and when I didn't I regretted it. Then only good thing about that fucking cat was when it melted/mutated, don't get me wrong I love cats but this show's more fucked up creepy parts is a highlight for its age demo.

sauce?

Chris Hansen, why do you have such shit taste in cartoons?

Honestly I'd have to say these two are my favorite idiot henchmen duo, they're just so fun.

It was pretty damn good and Sup Forums loved it... Up until hiatuses started and Northampton arc happened. Then it got pretty bad up until Tales of TMNT, which was awesome again.

The show did have a bad habit of introducing too many characters and not using them again until a long time though. As well as a few filler episodes (like the wasp or the D&D ones).

The Usagi episodes alone are worth watching if nothing else.

Also Tales of the TMNT had the single best intro in TMNT history FITE ME
youtube.com/watch?v=lHyrrfeu794

Bradford was the chance to have another significant human character but the basis of his introduction was lame and he was rushed into his mutation. What a waste.

>kurai and splinter never fully embraced each other as father/daughter

THAT was so annoying. The writers were afraid that adding Karai as a protagonist would upset the Splinter/Turtle dynamic; they wrote themselves into a corner where Karai was revealed as Splinter's daughter but they didn't want her to join the team.

So we got like 5 or 6 consecutive story arcs where Karai is either brainwashed, imprisoned or goes crazy just to keep her out of the picture a little bit longer. The writers were so shit at planning ahead, it was ridiculous.

The guy was a Chuck Norris parody, come on.
Complete even with an 80s cartoon show about him.

What sucked was that they built him and Xever to be a duo and then after mutation Xever was aquarium-bound for several episodes and after they finally gave him robot legs they still never became a duo. Especially after Bradford mutated again. That's probably why they reintroduced Bebop and Rocksteady later.

I liked that Tiger Claw remained a legitimate threat until the end. Alopex was pretty stupid though, clearly a rushed attempt at "we're using every turtle media guys!". Same with Hun.

>Same with Hun.

Their Hun was awful. They just introduced a Bruce Lee parody and slapped an existing character's name on him.

All three of these things.

Personally, the good DRASTICALLY outshines the bad. But when you have to deal with mediocre episodes they're really hard to get through. The final season had, maybe, 6 good episodes.

Raph was best turtle.
Splinter was great.
Casey Jones was unbearable, but somehow grew on me.
April was a Mary Sue from hell who got a few good moments to not make me completely hate her.
Donnie was obnoxious, but I really liked him in the apocalyptic future.
Mikey was Mikey. I have a soft spot for Greg Cipes, so I'm a bit biased there.
Leo was great when voiced by Biggs and became shit when Seth Green came on, which is really weird that that's all it took.

All the side characters, like Mighty Mutanimals and later characters were pretty solid, and while I would have liked more time with them, the time we got developed them pretty well.

MOST of the main villains were pretty topnotch, and MOST of the side or one-off villains were hot garbage.

That's all I got.

/endblog

>April only went barefoot in two episodes

What a waste.

>Leo was great when voiced by Biggs and became shit when Seth Green came on, which is really weird that that's all it took.

I think it was more than just the switch in VAs. Season 1 Leo was actually really funny, for the first time in the character's history, with his whole "trying to learn to be a leader by watching episodes of Space Heroes" thing. When they fired the season 1 writers and replaced everyone in season 2, they retrograded Leo and began writing him as the standard "boring leader" character and forgot about all the little quirks that had made him funny in season 1.

But yeah, Seth Green didn't help.

>Space Heroes

Alright, the "show within the show" that changed every season was a really fun running joke, though a few of the seasons didn't run with it enough (the Voltron season and the Thundarr season).

That's what people saw as one of the main flaws of the show, especially by season 3: too many parodies and references, not enough original content or dedicated plots.

Space Heroes and Leo being a sucker for it was great. Too bad they pretty much dropped it later. But I guess it was Leo "maturing".

I'm hoping after a couple of years, we can get a traditionally-animated (get the Korra team on it, say what you will about the characters and plot, the visuals were amazing) straight-forward adaptation of the current IDW comic series.

>straight-forward adaptation of the current IDW

I don't know man, they could afford to change some of that in an adaption. Specifically them all being reincarnations of a Japanese family. That's pretty fucking dumb.

Okay, not straight up.

I like the premise. It's different (I like different timelines and adaptations taking different spins), and it kind of makes more sense than a rat learning from watching his master / reading a book. Despite 2012 Splinter being best Splinter, I don't like Splinter actually being Hamato Yoshi.

Okay, I guess letting just Splinter be the reincarnation of his past life, who happens to remember martial arts because of the mutagen or because of ancient chinese secret could work.
Having all the turtles also be the reincarnations of his 4 sons on top of that is just way too much.

If I was writing it, I'd have it be ambiguous or unclear if the turtles were reincarnations. Splinter hopes, but never gets confirmation.

Why?

It’s what IDW does so well with them, and the 2012 interpretation of them also handled it very well with them being bros. I loved their interactions together.

Didn't they leave it kind of ambiguous though? It's never confirmed it's real, it's just confirmed that the characters BELIEVE it's real? Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but don't they continue to argue between destiny and chaos(mysticism and science?) when Donnie learns that teleportation is literally killing a person and assembling a completely new, albeit, identical person? Same with when he becomes a robot for a short amount of time?

I haven't read it since Donnie got his body back(because money reasons and I don't like pirating), so I don't know if they've had any recent discussion of it in the comic.

Why? He just happens to have 4 sons who all get reincarnated into the same 4 turtles who get mutated at the same time his reincarnated rat body does?
Why? Why do they need to be? He raises them and teaches them anyway, so what is the point of adding in something so brain-meltingly retarded?

Unless you introduce some sort of mechanism to the reincarnation as part of the story. Maybe even some mystical being that guided their souls to that time and place, who they encounter later?
Like, even then, why go through all that trouble?

>Despite 2012 Splinter being best Splinter
QFT