/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #450

Uuuh, Sorry for being sloppy?: Edition

Previous thread: Thread Question: What is your favorite type of color that you like using?

Here's a list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

> /hyw/ CONTACT SHEET - add your webcomic site, contact information, etc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

> /hyw/ DISCORD CHAT
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

> DRAWING PRACTICE and TUTORIALS
Ctrlpaint.com
drawabox.com/
line-of-action.com/
quickposes.com/en

> STOCK IMAGES and REFERENCE
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/
Character Design: pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

> FONTS
Blambot: blambot.com/
Create your own: calligraphr.com

> WEBSITE
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do's and Dont's for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
Promoting your comic: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

> ART and WRITING RESOURCES
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

> PODCASTS and VIDEOS
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
John Cleese on Creativity: youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
Capeworld & Mitch's Podcast, Ep. 1:
youtube.com/watch?v=vEwm_duF578

Other urls found in this thread:

taleofjaspergold.com/
monster-lands.com/
jesse-the-art-maker.deviantart.com/art/SPOREN-page-0031-wip-2-728208294
sporen.the-comic.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What is your favorite type of color that you like using?
deep blues, blue-purples, nice bright golds. can't go wrong
least favorite has to be oranges that never seem to want to be properly bright. Then if you change them even slightly to try to shift the color you just get dull crud brown immediately. also I can never seem to get light purple as bright as I want for some uses.

working on a page

let it die

How do I capture the tumblr audience without actually putting trannies and stuff in a comic?

Tumblr people are huge bandwagoners but if you can get them to care about your thing for 15 minutes you will get an insane amount of fanart and free advertising.

you don't want that, trust me.
to some extent any fame is good fame, but not when you're a total amateur relying more on worth of mouth than any form of broadcast.
Imagine if there was no such thing as TV and the only way to find out about colorful horses was from the dashing handsome men such as myself who enjoy colorful horses. you'd never hit your target and you'd feel weird because you aren't really TRYING to make moe horses, it's just happening in the process of trying not to make mindless pap because you think little girls deserve better.

Take a look at other series that got popular on Tumblr: Homestuck, Steven Universe, Boku no Hero Academia, Dangan Ronpa, and so forth. They all have
>Fairly large casts
>Characters with zany and distinct personalities
>High shipping potential
>High oc/self-insert potential
>Lots of "feels"
>Still fairly fun and comedic

oh hey I know
who wants fanart of, like, a monster or robot or something from your comic
I'm not feeling the regular fanart right now and I'm not sure how I'd do those fantastic weird geometry-shaped goth girls
what ever happened to the guy with the dog piloting a mech. was that badjectives guy?

Who is the strongest artist in /hyw/ objectively, without the plot or writing affecting it, but including design and layout composition.

that dude who did the black/white ink drawings of sci-fi ships and environments and stuff. forget what it was called but his style was off the charts

drama incoming

Treat people on tumblr the same way you'd treat a small child with ADD, inject as many shiny, colorful, moving objects and shapes as you can.

(Slight) joking aside, don't try and focus on tumblr fetishes of the day to get popularity. You would be better off making a shitton of fanart of popular series that already have their attention (and yours) and plug your comic every so often.

said it better, but just focus on making your work /good/ and worth investing time into.

Tumblr audiences are the lowest tier
They have no respect for you as a creator.

I actually stopped posting in that site for that same reason.

lots of characters for everyone to latch onto, but not all looking all that different or detailed
lots of hinted relationships but don't have many official relationships.
equal amount of male and female characters

>Tumblr audience

Why would you want that?

I'll take you up on the offer. Feel like drawing the big umibozu vs Hydromen fight in Black Terror: Symbol 1?

That African guy with the space opera comic was really good.

that guy who does that western rabbit story. He was already pretty good with his layouts, but he is just getting better and better. A shame he doesn't post here anymore.

Western rabbit? I don't think I've seen that one. Do you have a sample?

oh neat, a text story. I love trying my hand at illustrating something I have to imagine. It sounds like your umibozu is not just a synonym for lusca or akkorokamui, i.e. a giant octopus. let's see what I can come up with..
tale of jasper gold he means

taleofjaspergold.com/
The tale of Jasper Gold.
He even does the letter by hand, impressive stuff.

I draw it in microsoft paint. The jokes are blunt, the coloring is mediocre; but for some reason; I love drawing it.

It like putting all your childish drawings on virtual paper. I barely update it though

Taken from his site. This is one of my favorite pages in terms of layout, and storytelling.

They're legit the umibozu from Japanese mythology conscripted into the Imperial military just like Amaterasu and the kami. I'm trying to draw a parallel with how the Japanese Military used the Imperial Throne and the mythology of the Emperor in the real WW2 by having them literally weaponizing their mythology.

That's really good. It's a little too furry looking for my taste, but what the hell, I gave Lackadaisy a shot and loved it I'll give this one a shot.

>It's a little too furry looking for my taste
Thought it's technically a furry comic, it's not as furry as other furry things out there.

Eh, furry's relative. Is Lackadaisy furry? TMNT? Usagi Yojimbo?

I guess sometimes umibozu are humanoid come to think of it. In my experience they're usually octopodes. This might actually be a lot cooler.
Also yeah I remember when you first started talking about your concept, I was the user wondering about the relationship with Hawaii's gods and whatnot, like how that would work with Hawaii being a colony and all that. At least I think that was you. You have so many stories!

okay damn I just read the whole passage and christ on a cracker it will be difficult to do it anything resembling justice. that is some GOOD writing. I need to pay your stuff more attention. You paint a great picture of something I usually have trouble with in literature. Battle scenes are usually really tough to follow but this was perfect.

fuck u u have time to read but not to work on your comic? u know how many fans are waiting?

psst. it's done. I'm free. now I can do all the fanart I used to have no time for

not your old comic, no one gives a shit about kiwi day anymore

no one gave a shit about kiwi day in the first place

savage

what are you expecting me to be doing then? this is practice. Once I'm really settled in with clipstudio it's time to do some exercises and shit.

>what are you expecting me to be doing then?
to post stuff about your new comic in the works, like new concept art, character designs, menstruation jokes. give us updates like bones, except about a NONE SHITTY COMIC

but it's not IN the works.

I mean I have a few things decided for the next Kiwi Day but if I start thinking about it and showing it now, I won't be able to take a few years off, and after a solid decade of 100-plus-episodes-a-year updates I've earned a rest.
I've been thinking a lot about that Gerudo girl CYOA idea, I could draw something for that if it would please you.

can someone help me with expanding the frames in CSP?

Nah it was more like I was just trying to see some anons' levels and work, I'm not too often in these threads.

Oh, well if you want recommendations of good HYW comics with some quality to them:
>Dr. B Goodlove
>The Steam Dragon Express
>Witchway's Witch
>My Succubus Girlfriend
>Bridgefire Comics
>NOYL
>Merchant and Pike / Witch's Hill
>Disregarding Reality
>Legend of the Hare / Saffron and Sage
>Terravitio David's Gate
>Cult Control
>Black Hole Badger
>Dreamrise
>GigaTRIGGR:ZERO
>Agrest the Thief
>Juneau
>A Better Place / Demon's Mirror
Some of those people don't attend the threads much anymore or only did once, but I still check their comics every day. I wanna say the creator of Scurry even came in here once.

>My Succubus Girlfriend
>Bridgefire Comics
>A Better Place
>Black Hole Badger

Seriously nigga? You might as well but Lazerwing on your list.

shit I forgot one

>It's an user has horrible taste episode

My favorite episode.

I bet you paid money to see Disney Stars Wars.

>but it's not IN the works.
wtf you literally have nothing? you're not even doing some mini comic project? just gonna do fanart and spinoff art like bones? just disappointing man.

>throwing shade on bridgefire and harrodeleted
See there's opinion and then there's actually thinking you can mock literally award-winning professional quality art. Unless you mean you don't like the story or something, but again in the case of Better Place that's going to be a hard sell. Your post makes it sound like your opinions are obvious and common.

You mean the star wars that was finally good again after a decade and a half of bad star wars? Uh, yeah. Not a lot of money, mind you. Waiting for dollar theater for the most recent one.

Calm down there, Capeworld

>Watching Last Jedi
>PAYING MONEY to see last Last Jedi

Please don't breed and pass on your low IQ genes.

>Capes hates Disney Star Wars

When did he say this?

I'm doing designs for a game project but I can't share those and I'm not actively doing new ones at the moment while the programmer guy does more of what he does.
Do you not think it's a good idea to take a goood long break after all that? If I jumped right onto another project right away even I'd worry about me being a little too obsessive or autistic or whatever the kids say now.
I don't want to just spew art, now that the flow has slowed I can actually shut it off and install a better nozzle that sprays art at a more controlled rate and more desirable quality.
I don't wanna show you the new kiwi day cast yet. I haven't even for sure named most of them or gotten solid designs yet, and I wanna just let that ferment down in the basement for a while.

I bet you let retards from Sup Forums make your opinion for you.

Has anyone actually caught Capes samefagging or is it just one user with a hateboner for him?

>I wanna just let that ferment down in the basement for a while
Along with whatever else you have hiding down there...

African guy with a space opera comic?

it's kabocha. unfortunately yeah they are rotting instead of curing properly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Still edible but the sugar content isn't close to where it should be and the starch level is inferior

i'm talking about the lolis fermenting in your own cum, you fool

It's some guy with a hate boner, probably Bones.

>the sugar content isn't close to where it should be and the starch level is inferior
This is a really Stallman-esque thing to say. You might have autism

>stallman
Fuck, they even look alike

Capeworld's caveman comic looks interesting. I'd say add his WW2 superhero stuff but that's not technically a comic.

storytime guys. Read the first "case" of my horror stuff!

2/3

juni ba
i dunno if he frequents /hyw/ but he posts his comic in their own threads occasionally

3/3

>dreamrise
>hasn't updated in months
>has been in its prologue for 2 years
>convoluted and boring as fuck

Sorry Polish user, I won't be able to read your comic because of pic rel.

hahahahhahaa i cant stop symbol drawing kill me now

I'm starting on book 2 now, and I'm happy I've found a consistent style to draw in, which I thought was the hardest part when starting out.

To start off the second book, I'm gonna be real thorough with consistent characters, so I'm planning to do like a chart animators to to stay on model for every character I do. In the last book, I had to go back and fix a bunch of stuff because I wasn't paying enough attention when drawing, and forgot a lot of small details.

experience is definitely the best teacher.

wtf how long does it take you to draw a page?

like 1-2 days, I had a 1,5 year break or something which is why book 1 wasn't done before recently. had to go back and redraw a bunch of pages too. Next book will hopefully be made faster.

I've seen your book listed on (Norwegian) online book stores and such. Pretty exciting.

Make it change.

You might need to change to the Vector control tools to add/move individual points.
Also the Select Object tool.

Consistency: Caption box on P1 is all caps, but on P3 it's mixed case.
Typo: "you DO not speak to him"
Grammar: "living ON the second floor"

How would it look if the P3 caption box was rearranged so each of the "You do not..." sentences was on it's own line? I think it's losing something by having a line break in the middle of each commandment.

do you guys ever wonder what's the point? will the world really become a better place thanks to your dumb comic? does anyone even care?

the only change i wanna see is more drama

seconded, let's get scribblehatch back in these threads asap

Me.

God no he's more of a megalomaniac than strawbles, his shit was insufferable

Tell me about scribblehatch. Got any screenshots?

>will the world really become a better place thanks to your dumb comic?
If you're looking to "change the world" you are looking into the wrong hobby. Take up something that will actually have an impact like politics or something.

I can't actually speak for anyone, but I think most people here just want to share stories, stories that THEY created, and share it with an audience. There's no other point than personal enjoyment.

monster-lands.com/

That's it for the chapter. There is a pretty owl for you to look at.

It showed up on a previous page because it is kind of important, so I want to foreshadow that.

Here is when it first showed up to look at people

Well, I don't update it so often. Ecspecially now, when I'm being comissioned to do other comic.

That user was asking about quality art. Also if you think that's bad, welcome to webcomics.

creepy eyebowl. I like it

This is the new last page/panel. Now for the greys and other bits.

Her determination is just adarrable

>determination
Eh, she's actually running away from a pig.

Huh. Very deliberate running-away. Doesn't look hurried. More defiant
or is she supposed to be sneaking
Also that is a freaking cute little pig but she's smart to be scared anyway. They don't fuck around.

No doubt sneaking, wild pigs are some scary shit.

Sneaking. She's had a few encounters with it before, so she knows. It's practically the entire reason the story kicks off.

Pic related: It's a blast from the past. I used to color my stuff back then.

You can see how I got confused. Sometimes sneaking does look like that, though.

It would look better without the SLIDE but yeah

Oh fuck, I'm surprised she got away with how close that thing is to her in that picture, those monsters can reach up to 30 mph.

working on a new page: jesse-the-art-maker.deviantart.com/art/SPOREN-page-0031-wip-2-728208294

but in other bigger more important news i finally figured out what my lesbian webcomic is, what its called, and what its going to be about, and the style im going to make it in. it all came to me at once like some kind of ultra divine lesbianic revelation! its gonna be awesome! cant tell you the name yet... but after these next 5 pages of sporen... all will be revealed!

the name gives everything away...

>lesbianime

Litter your cast with traits that readers can turn into diversity headcanons (boy who never takes his shirt off = trans boy in a binder, even if you never make it canon) Make the boys kiss. Have some furries. Put some concepts and vocabulary in your worldbuilding that a reader can apply to themselves (see: Homestuck classpects). Make the girls fat. Make the dads hot.

But more importantly: make sure your comic appeals to regular people so the tumblr kids think they're 'reclaiming' it when they latch on.

just need to shade it and its done lol

no. dont even try to guess it, i dont want anyone stealing my ideas before i even draw official character art.

the two main lesbians are sailor eve and sailor adann (pronounce like adonis but cut short ah-dawn)

no not like sailor moon, actual sailor girls.... that dress like sailor moon girls... its complicated but it will all make since when i reveal everything 4 pages of sporen from now when i can finally take a break on working on sporen and work on my lesbian webcomic! :D

>plesbians

just finished a new page, I hope yall like it!

more pages here: sporen.the-comic.org/

Oh hey, I haven't checked in on these threads in a long time, but I saw marketing for your book somewhere and was really glad to see you make it.