It's now been two years since the third movie came out and the series turns ten later this year. What went so right?

It's now been two years since the third movie came out and the series turns ten later this year. What went so right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAaRQGJBbuk
youtube.com/watch?v=A89raehoAJc
player.fm/series/the-nightfly-with-dave-juskow/live-from-los-angeles-with-mitch-watson
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Y7 Shrek.

>the series turns ten later this year.

Jesus Christ. I'm not even 20 yet and I already feel old.

>There are people on their 20s browsing Sup Forums
I'm old. Lord, forgive me.

The movies in general had a good track record. Should probably not make anymore. Also 2>1>3

It doesn't get any better. Just a warning.

A+ villains in the first two
A+ performances for the villains in all three

The third one was very weak. Little fights, forced conflict, cardboard cutout villian, that "chi" bullshit. I hope that in the fourth one Po would be nerfed, because by the end of the third he's become a de-facto god.

Yeah, I figured that by the time I graduated high school.

Jack Black's performance.
/thread

There's a new show coming out soon, right? Do you think it will take place after the third movie or in-between the first two?

It's gotta be after the third one, I can't see how anything else would make sense.

36 in two months.

how's wife and kids?

Correct order

>/threading your own post
There is literally no easier way to make yourself look like a fag.

im fine with shows, i dismiss them as noncanon though, also three movies are enough, especially when third one is so weak, as usual with trilogies.

what went right? i dont know, but these movies gave me feels.

youtube.com/watch?v=qAaRQGJBbuk

That's when you leave the Dragonball-esque trilogy be its own thing and start a new Dragon Ball Z-esque trilogy.

>New show
Noice.
I hope they end the trilogy. Last thing I want happening is them milking it to death like shrek.

Milking things to death is kind of DWA's corporate goal.
They're just not very good at striking gold all that often.

oh puh-leese.

everyone does it.

1st movie is a solid story and solid conflict. Villian was a little weak Imo
2nd movie is an actual masterpiece. Po dealing with the death of his parents and confronting the killer is an amazing conflict. The scene in the destroyed village still makes my lip quiver a bit. Villian is amazing and is an actual threat.
3rd movie is cute and I enjoyed it but after the 2nd one it just didn’t feel as strong. All in all good series and I hope it’s fianlly put to rest.
I should add the first TV show while not great did have some good episodes, mainly the one with the dragon.

there's gonna be a new tv show btw

bait and switch,

you expect lame comedy with Jack Black as a fat panda but there's an actual story and heart to it.

seriously nobody expected it would be good, yet it was. It's dumb premise tricked people so it ended up being a lot better.

Nah, they be talking several new sequels. Although, it could work with decent worldbuilding.

fun fact, Jack Black suggested to make Po more likeable, instead of being another Shrek.

KFP1
>Shifu and the Five are really unlikable and useless
>Completely standard, by-the-numbers plot
>The villain is the only one who seems like he knows how to fight
>The villain's backstory is literally "WAAAAAHHHH DADDY DIDN'T LOVE ME ENOUGH!"

KFP2
>Po achieves inner peace by learning that his mother was brutally murdered
>Po somehow has flashbacks to when he was a fucking infant
>Shen's backstory is literally "WAAAAAHHHH MOMMY AND DADDY DIDN'T LOVE ME ENOUGH!"
>The Soothsayer is just a rehash of the turtle from Kung-fu Panda 1
>Shen's plan is to invade all of China with like, seven ships
>The Furious Five fail over and over, getting captured twice

KFP3
>LE FUNNY PANDAS XD
>Shifu and the Five are still useless
>LE MORE FUNNY PANDAS XD
>Villain is completely underdeveloped, but at least they ditched the whiny backstory
>LE EVEN MORE FUNNY PANDAS XD
>Villain is once again the only guy (aside from Po) who even seems like he knows how to fight

Fucking faggots.

I can't say you're wrong, still though all three of them were pretty enjoyable movies

How do you think they'll handle the new netflix show?

Post or pre movie 3?

You can make any movie sound dumb and stupid if you simplify everything down to one-line greentext.

>user's backstory is literally "REEE WHY DOESN'T THIS CHILDRENS' COMEDY MOVIE HAVE A DEEP AND COMPLEX STORY!"

see, I can make blatantly wrong over-simplifications too

they're flawed, yes, but nowhere near as much as you make them out to be

Yep.

the prison escape and bridge fight from the first one are still unmatched

>not shen intro scene
bad taste
youtube.com/watch?v=A89raehoAJc

what a shitty post

I knew pic related would be useful one day.

Really? I should watch 2 then, ive only ever seen 1 and i really liked it.
Maybe I'll do it this week.

Could Oogway beat Po?

And don't give me the whole "Kai beat Oogway, and Po beat Kai, so Po>Oogway."

Oogway didn't even bother giving it all against Kai at the end of the fight, he just let it happen because he knew po would take care of it.

The shows are pretty non cannon. They're alright to great but most of the time the movies contradict them.

Secret of the scrolls for example seemed to believe that there was only one kind of Kung Fu recognized.

>implying oogway isn't the most powerful being in the universe but he's just to lazy to do shit when a villain shows up

>implying shrek isnt likable

yeah, but he'd be a just a copy of him.

Not him, but same boat as you. I figure we're either here, or we're dead at this point.

Same shit happened with Zootopia, although probably not intentionally.

After seeing the trailers and commercials for it, it looked really dumb and childish, yet another "anthro animals in a human society doing not-animal things while also getting up to animal antics" type of thing...

...aaaaand then it turned out to be all about racism/prejudice and a secret government plot to incite a race war.

I heard people saying that there was a new TV series coming, but never saw any source for those statements.

>I heard people saying that there was a new TV series coming, but never saw any source for those statements.
player.fm/series/the-nightfly-with-dave-juskow/live-from-los-angeles-with-mitch-watson
skip to @1:19:42

What went right was the fact that at least the first two movies were made with some great heart and charm. While they had plenty of the silly, they didn't shy away from the drama.
Tigress and Po OTP.

>KFP
Did not expect to like this movie but it ended up being pretty charming and the fights were cool. Not a bad representation to martial arts philosophy either. Good Movie
>KFP2
Better then the first one in my opinion. Great story, great villain. I love the angle of 'All your kung fu and training means nothing cause I can just shoot you with a gun' and that climax was still to this day one of the best I've seen in any martial arts movie. Great Movie
>KFP3
Not as good as the first 2 which to me makes it a huge disappointment. Worst villain, least focused story, too many gags and unnecessary characters. Just a big step down after the 2nd film. Meh Movie

Basically what these movies got right is they embraced the eastern philosophy so it always felt genuine when they were talking about it, and the Characters were always well preformed and believable.

So...
who else ships it?

This is the correct order. Even 3 is still good, just not as good as the first two.

I hope they end the trilogy, so it doesn't become another Shrek. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff movie with one or more of the Furious Five.

KFP3 was supposed to be Chinese pandering but Zootopia stole its audience fir some reason.

>kfp3 was originally going to come out in december 2015
>star wars:tfa was revealed and going to also be released in december 2015
>kfp3 was then pushed back a month so that there would be less competition
>kfp3 is released
>immediately btfo by zootopia
dreamworks never had a chance against the mouse monopoly

This! Also, holy shit the 2nd movie is one of the
most rewatchable Sup Forums related movies.

Another thing that makes it stand out is that it focuses on
Po BEING the Dragon Warrior rather than training to become it.

It's fucking weird how it has the lowest rating
of the 3, in terms of reviews!

I remember reading the director wanted to end it because they were really stretching for ideas on who to have as a villain in the third and they didn't want to force it to lurch onward. I respect that, but it seems like they're punishing her for it by forcing her to work on Sherlock Gnomes.

So, how about we stop watching cartoons and grow up ?
There are so many fascinating things to do as an adult...

Enjoy your (you)'s

No one does, juggernaut is too big.

The movie trilogy is great, but the show, Legends of Awesomeness, is so fucking horrendous. Its repetitiveness and simple plots (even by cartoon standards) made me almost hate the franchise. Almost.

But the third was utter shit.
The first two was so good.
I allowed myself to hope.
Aaaand panda kids...

>it has the lowest rating
What the hell. Usually I don't care about reviews much because different people have different tastes but what the fuck.

Oh shut it, Manta

I don't mind the characters being strong. I do mind when the particular way to make him strong they chose breaks the fucking world (let's see, I'm a villain who doesn't have my head up my ass, I have a couple thousands devoted followers which is hardly difficult for a warlord, now a trick that self-evidently requires no training suddenly makes me stronger than any kung fu master to date).

Also, it just basically repeated the same character arc that was already done. Worse, highlighted the fact that Po's arc in the second movie also was re-threading the same path.

I’m liking that the new show is supposed to be completely different in terms of tone and genre.