Thoughts on Mélusine?

Thoughts on Mélusine?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!8FdgBRaR!KK_uf9ZS9y_0amXM1Z-I6w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

She's a canon furry.

Does she ever get with the guy ? You know, without his werewolf form ?

I remember only reading the first tome, where the joke is that he's just a peasant that flees once the moon comes down

>I can't let her see me like this

I always though it was cute. And sad.

She fucks some sort of prince or wizard boy in one of the last issues. Shame, the Werewolf is a way better character.
IIRC her best friend commited suicide because Melusine became mad at her, too.

You know, comics for kids.

And with this, my childhood dies a little more.

It's okay.

Then she went to hell to get her back but her friend refused to come back.

In french

Wish the rest were in English and translated and ordered properly.

I'm waiting for a storytime cause I only ever see bits and pieces.

thx mang / merci bien.

Some balm for you, then.

>dear auntie, thanks a lot for the bath salts.
>they fell really, really nice.
>But what did you put in them?

Did she at least become the queen of hell ala Eurydice?

I was excited because I didn't know they released more tomes than I had, but then I realised over half the files are 0 MB.

this. what happened ?

Why are over half of those are listed as 0 MB?

>mfw the last 18 tomes will never be scanlated

The next time the person post the megas, make sure all the files are intact.

>IIRC her best friend commited suicide because Melusine became mad at her, too.
It was because she thought that Melusine was dead because of her.
It was... odd. The fact that her suicide was a gruesome joke (she tried to hang herself, but used a rubber rope, so she died by repetitively smashing her on the celling) and that she actually didn't come back to life...
I really didn't expect that. Melusine has some dark humor, but this was at another level.

It ended?
The friend was Cancrelune? The inept suicide sounds like her.
Did they wrap up the other plot threads?
The fanatical priest? The teacher with the conical hat? Her ghost and vampire employers? Her "shame of the family" cousin who's a Disney fairy?

I enjoyed the English translations. The chicken scratches which represent magic spells are actually words in an incredibly distorted font. For example, Cancrelune tries to turn a pumpkin into a coach and she's shouting "Charles Perrault", the author of the modern version of Cinderella.

Wasn't there something about her, Melisande, Krapella, and some other girl winding up in the modern day?

Fixed

How long ago was it supposed to be set?
They had electricity -- which they seemed to use for nothing except juicing Winston.

somewhere between 1500-1990

The first book was undecided in the direction of the story and had modern elements, like glass windows, electricity, etc. She also had a typical modern teenage girls bedroom. This was changed very fast for the world to be set in approximately the middle ages.

There was a 3 page standalone story where they go clubbing in the modern world, where it is mentioned that it's another dimension that has no magic.

Most of the cast are there for the gags only. The school class got more defined in the past 2-3 books, and they introduced a few other staff, like a butcher woman and a burnt face teacher who spits bugs.

>Her "shame of the family" cousin who's a Disney fairy?

She is not the secondary character after Cancrelune was killed, and they recently had an entire issue dedicated to her. They revealed that witches and fairies are toxic to each other; when Melisande starts living in the witch school, everyone gets sick. She and Melusine are immune to it because they are cousins.

You are better off ignoring everything from book 21 and upwards. The writer of the book quit, and the artist took over the writing. Book 21 had a few funny gags at least, but the romance plot was shoe horned in a stupid way, and the books after that are straight up insulting.

It also doesn't help that books 19 and 20 were pretty much the peak of the series.

Thank you, you magnificent user.

Anyone working on translating these? Cinebook gave up on the series a long time ago.

I don't speak french

It's full of anachronisms, it's some kind of fantasy setting.

>There was a 3 page standalone story where they go clubbing in the modern world, where it is mentioned that it's another dimension that has no magic.
Ohh, which album?

>The writer of the book quit, and the artist took over the writing

Fuck.

I saw the atrocious ratings and reviews for book 21, but the ones after that seems to have been well recieved.

>Ohh, which album?

Not in an album.

>The writer of the book quit,
no chance of him returning i guess eh?
do you know if Clarke will continue the book or is 24 the last

He's continuing. 25's been out for quite a while and 26 is on the way, pic related is cover. It's supposedly the first half of a 2-part story that establishes some background for Clarke's retool of the series and it looks like you finally get to see Melusine's dad.

She's never seen the human side of the werewolf. What's more, as the series progressed he's been established as flirty so she eventually got fed up with him and tried to get herself some prince instead. Eventually she got with a mage from another school instead.

When the series got started she was supposed to be living in our contemporary age and the castle and magical land in general were bordering a modern city. One of the very early strips has her go to a nightclub and turn some boys into frogs. However, they decided very early on it was gonna work better if it was just a medieval fantasy world, and that specific strip was never published in book form, replaced instead in a later book with an alternative version where she goes to a town fair. You can still see some signs in early strips, like Melusine having a poster of a french singer popular with teenage girls at the time. There also was a strip where she hexes an airplane but I can't remember if it got published in the books or not. More recently the club strip was redrawn as a 3 pages story where she goes clubbing together with her cousin and friends and our world is established as a parallel dimension.

The series got another subtle retool at book 11 when they started focusing more on the school to ride on the Harry Potter bandwagon, which is technically not really compatible with the fact she was supposed to be a full-time au pair at the castle. Book 26 looks like it might be addressing that too.

(continued)

Thing is, Clarke is actually a very good writer too, but the stuff he's written himself is much darker (though it can still be funny). With Gilson's departure, he started retooling the series with book 21, though it was still somewhat stealthy. Gave her a steadier love interest, killed off Cancrelune (which didn't fit the planned new direction) to make Melisande the new sidekick, established a more consistent background with the various schools of magic and fairies and used a format that could both be read as gag-a-week and continuous story.

Then in book 24 it becomes much more obvious, mainly because it very suddenly and clumsily retcons a bit character from book 21 as a sorcerer-hating villain. In one dialogue near the beginning, gone from erstwhile joke to would-be Voldemort with no development to earn that nemesis position. And thus, the problem with book 24 and 25 is that instead of funny little stories they're scooby-doo level whodunnit plots and there's really only one possible culprit, the one they pointed out at the beginning and only named villain in the universe.

This transition phase is hugely problematic, and it remains to be seen whether Clarke will be enable to successfully stabilize Melusine in that new direction.

Do you have a scan, perchance?

Interesting, thanks.
And yeah, Clarke is a good writer. His series with Midam, Durant les travaux... was a jewel of absurd humor.

The MEGA link seems to be broken... I managed to snatch Tome 24, but that's all. Everything else results in "Error, retrying..."

Any comic similar to Melusine?
I like magic students shenanigans, and enjoyed the invisible highschool (though it's set in modern day).

Sadly no. Cinebook did their usual fuckery with the numbering so their 1=7, 2=8, 3=2, 4=5 and 5=10. There's is a scanlation of 12 as well.