Are comic enthusiasts lower on the social totem pole than video game enthusiasts?

Are comic enthusiasts lower on the social totem pole than video game enthusiasts?

Other urls found in this thread:

peopleofwalmart.com
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2013.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gaming and comic book reading aren't social outcasts like they used to be. Manga readers however are hopeless

Yes.

Comics are far more mainstream than video games are

Oh you

comics and games are gay

Whoever considers their hobby to be their identity is at the bottom of the social totem pole according to everyone who doesn't, be them football fans, tuning enthusiasts or comic readers.
Nobody respects a "gamer", but someone who enjoys playing video games is perfectly acceptable.

In what fucking country? Because that sure as hell isnt true in America.

Not him but if "newspaper" strips count every American who can read has read a comic. Probably can't say the same for vydia.

Is there a totem pole? Do we need to put someone else’s hobby down to feel good about ours?
If you need something to feel superiour about that’s what peopleofwalmart.com is for

1. Sports
2. Fitness
2,5. Nerds
3. Normies
4. Gamers
5. Vidya
6. Comics
7. Movies
8. Steampunk
9. Weeaboo
10. Serial child torturer

If we're counting that, then every single person who owns a smart phone in America is a gamer because they play Tetris on their phone on the bus ride to work.

Excellent website tbqh senpai

I'd put weebs above steampunk.

Hear the word of the Lightbringer.

>the biggest video games can sell 1 million copies and be considered failure
>a comic reaching 1 million copies is considered a gigantic success

Shit, 2d indie games sometimes sell more than the top selling comics of the year.

depends
do you include the films as part of "comics"
I frequently hear significantly more nerds sitting around talking about the Call of Duty, Pokemon, or Zelda than I ever hear a conversation about comics or graphic novels.
unless you include the movies. then it's much more.

how do you separate the normie who repeats that one thing about a character that wasn't in the movie vs guy who has shelves full of comics and can identify artists and writers by content alone

but you also don't hear Vidya kids talk about the tech behind VR, or the character designer in an indie hit.

both types have levels from social normals to only-speak-to-your-own-kind.

Eh, it's a bit of a wash but overall I'd give comics the nod because it's more established.

For videogames:
>more people play videogames than read comics (I'm talking actual capeshit here, not just newspaper cartoons or whatever)
>kids grow up with videogames these days so unless you're old nobody thinks it's odd to play them (though this does count against you when you're 30+)

For comics:
>more people are "into" comics these days because of all the garbage movies
>most actual comics fans are like in their 40s now so you get less of the walking early-20s nerd stereotypes than with videogames, most kids don't give a shit about comics, they watch the movies but they'd rather read manga than pick up a comic
>comics are more readily accepted as an art form than video games, sure this doesn't go for capeshit but even pseudo-capeshit like Sandman is acceptable to own as a "serious adult"
>comics fans tend to be less public about their hobbies than videogame fans, so you get less bad examples like the OP picture
>nobody gives a shit about comicbook controversies except comic nerds, while videogame controversies get far more attention (see shit like Jack Thompson or GamerGate) - comicbooks had their controversies long ago and they're all but forgotten

Might as well shut it down now with that

Pretty sure that this is still way less than the number of people who can read. Like by definition.
And there are people who don't play games on their smartphones and use them mostly as, you know, a phone that has the internet.

if you're american, yes
if you're not american, no

not really sure what else there is to discuss

>Are comic enthusiasts lower on the social totem pole than video game enthusiasts?

Only if you're a social autist. Comics and video games have become normal.

Nerds above Normies? Movies that low? High ranking politicians at the bottom?

Yes, but cartoonfags are basically the lowest of the low. The hierarchy is unforgiving.

Depends on how you interpret weeaboo. I mean there's a world of difference between "anime/manga fans" and "wapanese retards who pretend they're Japanese because it's kawai sugoi desu". Also it would depend on what kind of shit you're into. If you're the Sup Forums or /jp/ kind of guy who watches loli shows then that's pretty damn low on the pole, but there's plenty of Jap stuff that's socially acceptable to enjoy ("serious" Japanese cinema, for example).

I fucking hate filthy gaming scum. I hate how their awful medium has taken over the past few years, and how its a gateway into movies and comics for fake nerds

>>most actual comics fans are like in their 40s now so you get less of the walking early
That worries me, the same thing happens in Japan with the anime now, but in the comic that will happen in 20 years when all of them are dead?

I used to be in recruiting. Hobbies? If you put down movies (pathetic), music (boring), learning mandarin (sex tourist) or animation (anime) you get a trip to the trash. Also, steampunks are usually a grounded, mature gang that clean up well. Guess it differs in countries. Weeaboos are only looking for work to get mom offentlig their backs, and a fat sack of rank B.O. is a bad salesperson.

This forever.

How young are you? Video games have been massive with normies since the 80s.
I bet you're a Star Wars fan too.

Even during times when that anime/manga is popular we're doomed to be outcasts.

1. Sports
2. Normies
2.5. Fitness
3. Movies
4. Nerds
5. Comics
6. Gamers
7. Weeaboo
8. Steampunk
9. Cartoons

ftfy

>How young are you? Video games have been massive with normies since the 80s.
The cringey “gamer culture” didnt become this big till at least 2009
>I bet you're a Star Wars fan too.
The fuck does that have anything to do with it faggot?

>Pretty sure that this is still way less than the number of people who can read. Like by definition.
You don't even need to be able to read to play a video game.
>And there are people who don't play games on their smartphones and use them mostly as, you know, a phone that has the internet.
Yeah, old people. Most younguns use them as a short-hand to play video games too.

When my 10-14 year old cousins come over, they don't immediately run to the family bookshelf and dig out the old collections of Footrot Flats, The Far Side, or Garfield, they sit on the couch and play video games on their phones.

I don't think Mandarin would be advised as a language for sex tourism.
Other than that this isn't really the question.

>[w]hat will happen in 20 years when all of them are dead?
Then we can finally stop rehashing all the boring old capeshit garbage.

Stop wanking off Batman and Spiderman already. Move on from this stale, juvenile bullshit and maybe Western comics will someday be able reach half the quality, variety and appeal of weebshit.

Because Star Wars fans are the type of faggots who delude themselves into thinking that they're such le real nerds despite loving a franchise that's always been normie as fuck. Seemed fitting.

Kinda defensive

Havent you heard? "A bit geeky" is the new abs! Movies are at best a gateway to obesity, at worst a bad pickup line! "Politician" and "Pederast" are now a synonym!

Normies only liked it for the lightsabers and other entry level shit. Get on my level and realize that star wars has always been shit besides the first movie and the holiday special

Depends on the crowd you're in and what you're like in other ways.
It can come off as a pathetic nerd thing or a hipster aesthetic thing.

Reading is kind of necessary to operate a smartphone at all. What do you think there are people who use them but only ever call people, specifically those whose phone numbers they know by heart?

Do you realize how many old people there are?

>b-but sports fans are just as bad!!!
Because Superbowl parties are seriously on the same level of social outcast as LAN parties, and being on the football team is the same as being in the anime club, right?

I hate how weebs always use "Western" when they mean American.
The audience isn't the issue anyway.

This is better yeah

>Normies only liked it for the lightsabers and other entry level shit.
So same as everyone else then.

If you only like str wars for lightsabers then you are an irredeemable pleb

Jeeeeezuz
Are you a sad pathetic friendless loser who plays video or a sad pathetic friendless loser who reads comics?
It’s not the fucking hobby that decides, it’s you

>The audience isn't the issue anyway.
Of course it is. Shit wouldn't kept getting sold if there wasn't a large enough audience to sustain it. Sales figures speak for themselves, the latest garbage Batman rehash pretty much always sells more than any original work regardless of quality.

Bruh, football fans are way more devoted than just superbowl parties. You're describing a casual, exactly what I pointed out as being socially acceptable.
The 45 yo faggot who never misses a game from "his" college team and decorates everything to their team's color is not accepted socially by anyone who isn't a football fan. Fuck I've even heard that point made on a (admittedly nerdy) sports podcast.

As a cartoon guy I sadly agree with the low rank.

I used to know a dood with John Elway tattooed on his chest.
You think a fag like that isn’t a social outcast?

I'm not even state unidence, however, I was really weeb when I was 12-17 years old, then I started to get interested in other things and here I am with 19 and I read a lot of comics and books, hopefully that will happen more

Looks good now, I'd just put gamers go above comics.

It doesn't keep getting sold, sales have been crashing for decades, that didn't (for the most part) push the publishers to explore more genres.

I don't know who John Elway is, but I 100% guarantee you that it's more socially acceptable than the guy who has a tattoo of Sonic The Hedgehog or My Little Pony on his chest.

>I hate Star Wars
>but you have to be a true patrician to appreciate it
What kind of backwards reasoning is that.

Everything in Star Wars is entry level, the only aspects that you can appreciate from a more meaningful standpoint are the technical aspects.

Nothing wrong with that dude.

Weebs should be higher

>sales have been crashing for decades
The fact that despite declining sales they STILL reliably outsell the competition just proves my point.

There's a retardedly loyal core fanbase who doesn't give a shit about quality as long as they get to see the same characters do the same shit they saw when they were 8 years old. It's a medium that's been growing with its audience for decades and will hopefully die with its audience as well.

haha btfo fag

>ITT: People that never let go of that High school mentality

I think that's an oversimplification, especially considering that there have been succesful new characters at various points, and that even cape stories have had some amount of variety in the stories they tell.
Besides when that fanbase dies that won't automatically create a new readerbase for other comics, they'll still sell like shit except now they'll be on top I guess so woohoo.

Football qb
And sorry but if you are a dood who has another dood tattooed on your body (that isn’t Freddie Mercury) then you are pretty much an outcast
Sonic and mlp are outcast even from the outcasts. There is no comparison

There is absolutely nothing deep or interesting in Star Wars. Its literally just wanking for super casuals. I can see why this notion upsets you so much though C:

1. Sports
2. Fitness
3. Normies
4. Movies/TV
5. Gamers
6. Bazinga Normie ""Nerds"""
7. Cartoons
8. Weeaboos
9. Comics

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017.html
>around $522.25 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016.html
>around $580.91 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015.html
>around $579 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014.html
>around $540.4 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2013.html
>around $517.66 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012.html
>around $474.61 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011.html
>around $414 Million
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010.html
around $418.6 Million
Sales from 2010s have been in a constant rise and fall, is not far more successful than video games but is not in crisis

I think most people here are just messing around and don't actually care about this. At least I hope so.

Pre marvel boom yeah comic readers where bottom of the barrel nerds now it's pretty much even. Unless you're a ultra neckbeard dew guzzling ham planet, but fortunately they come in all varieties of nerd flavours

>cartoons are more socially acceptable than comics
In what backwards universe?

(no)

That's like saying a guy limping is better than him crawling. It's true, but it's not exactly a way to say they're a good runner.

>be in local LCS shop
>simple conversation with shopkeep
>tell him to "keep on truckin', like Crumb said"
>he doesn't know what I'm talking about

>later on
>he's talking about some "weird battle bunny book" a customer bought
>he's always on the hunt for dirty, filthy furfags
>they're good fodder for him to laugh at
>I look over, it's an Usagi Yojimbo omnibus

>one time
>shop setting up for MtG tournament
>he's talking about his Cerebus the hound card
>I tell him he must have meant "Cerberus"
>I tell him that "Cerebus" is an aardvark
>he insists that I'm mistaken

>once
>a middle-aged couple is browsing and arguing with each other
>I call them a couple of love bunglers, ask shopkeep his opinion
>he just stares at me blankly

>one day
>customer tries to buy a comic, he stops them
>"Rob Liefeld is the worst cancer to ever hit the industry" he explains
>"for your own sanity, avoid him at all costs" he goes on
>customer returns the comic to the shelf
>it's the 2012 relaunch of Prophet

>another day
>stray cat enters the store
>starts rubbing herself against him (he smells like fish desu (to be honest))
>he tries to shoo her away but she won't go
>I remark "that's one crazy cat, amirite?"
>I'm not proud of that
>I wasn't funny, I wasn't clever, I wasn't original
>but damn, he didn't show even the slightest hint of recognition

>2015
>ask if he's going to push any Bechdel comics after their success at the Tony Awards
>he yells at me that comics can't win Tonies
>not worth my time, I just walk away

>the worst
>every time someone comes and asks for fantasy and scifi recs
>all he can recommend is Vertigo (like Sandman) and Cosmic Marvel (like Annihilation)
>I mean, those aren't bad comics
>I mean, the customer will enjoy reading them
>but really, is that ALL he knows?
>is that ALL he can recommend?
>smdhtbqhfam

All true. He considers himself "knowledgeable" about "comics", but all he really knows is two publishers and one genre. What a casual.

In ovious bait universe. ffs he had gamers higher than fake nerds.

Eh, those kind of people exist in all fields. You don't want to know how often I (a software engineer) have to bite my tongue every time someone arounds me pretends to know shit about computers but actually has barely figured out which key is the "Any" key.

Well thanks to Let's Plays, Games that put a lot of production value on their cutscenes so that they appear disney-like, I'd say that vidya has started to reach towards the normal area on the social totem pole.

However, Because of all the super hero movies coming out, Comic enthusiasts finally can associate with normal people and potentially get along.

So it's hard for me to say. I wanna say theyre on equal footing right now.

Words words words
All that so you could be cooler than comic-shop-guy

Its really creepy you guys taking photos of random people on the streets to comolain about them online.

>it's the 2012 relaunch of Prophet
I died a little on the inside.

Did you ever see that the Compaq knowledge base had an article explaining the “any” key?

>Manga readers are hopeless
*beats Spider-Man in total sales is about to pass Batman in a few years*

Also, I can read a few comics a week, read a few posts here and there, basically be a fairly knowledgeable comic fan, and still have a life where I have a real job and interact with humans....if I were a respectable gamer, that would not be possible

Its a copypasta

If you're socially inept and obsessive it doesn't remotely matter what your hobby is
Those people in particular will often be interested in both video games and comics anyways

This is a good thing. Do you really want the normalfags to invade anime and manga like they did to comics and video games? Sometimes things are better as the underground medium.

No, haven't seen that one. But I can't say I'm surprised since it's such a common joke.

Which one is more prone to shart in the mart?

Mate, young people are reading more and more manga these days and less western stuff
Deb Aoki did an article and noticed western comic conventions have far less young readers than manga conventions
The "ironic weeb" is real

>Only in Japan.

I do not try to say that games or comics are a better industira than orther lol.
I'm just saying that the industry is not in a crisis of losses as in the 90s.

Nah mate, its fucking global
Look it up
One Piece has better accessibility, distribution, and doesnt have Slott on board

SHART

Probably because young people don't want to be lectured about identity politics and passive aggressively talked down to about them and just want to see cool stuff.

It doesn't really matter, since most Jap stuff is made entirely for the internal market anyway (just like how capeshit is still 99% for the American market). Apart from the few IPs that really blow up in the West, most of them don't give a shit about how many Westerners read their stuff and a few actually hate that they're known overseas.

IN

>and a few actually hate that they're known overseas.
Is there some notable ones?

THE MART

Keep saying this, man. The general public on the surface doesn't know what the fuck One Piece is.

I honestly do not understand, people who say that it is difficult to read comics, tell me that it is easier and lighter to read 900 issues? God that laziness