Give me one good reason why DC and Marvel shouldn't making shounen jump style comics where they mail subscribers a...

Give me one good reason why DC and Marvel shouldn't making shounen jump style comics where they mail subscribers a magazine filled with multiple comics each month/week. I would have given DC far more money if I could just have everything mailed to me instead of having to go 30 miles to the nearest comic shop.

Because anime and manga is shit

I would prefer this too

5 most popular books or 4 and 1 new feature every month would make me shell out $15

To drain the customer's wallet. a Jump magazine is dirt cheap and if the big two follows their method they wouldn't profit considering the reason they even sell is because collectors want the various variant covers and shit like that. Most people don't buy comics for their stories anymore cause majority of them are shit.

Would that basically just be a judge dresdd magazine except with DC characters? Honestly yeah that could actually work Like they what they did with wensday comics

>Most people don't buy comics for their stories anymore cause majority of them are shit.
That’s something I’ve woneered what’s the ratio of good and shit manga compared to comics anyways?

was thinking this. it works for dredd.

I'd like to see a DC equivalent

They already tried the mailing to peoples houses thing. I'm actually surprised they stopped at one point. I guess it didn't fucking work!

When I was a kid I had a subscription to JLA, Superman, and this thing nobody remembers.

The problem is even in a shonen magazine there are a lot of variety. So there is always something for someone's taste. Capeshit is always the same shit with the same crossovers and characters ten times the batwankery/loganwankery. What the fuck is the point.

Have floppies and all that for collectors
Have magazine subscriptions, mail orders, ect for readers.

Because western comic book readers don't care for anthologies, even if they were economically cheaper, series for series. The move to extremely low quality paper coupled with no colors may also dissuade comic book fans from investing further in the hobby. Plus, no way in the corporate hells will the Big 2 relinquish rights of original IP to the writers and artists.

Fpwp

>Because western comic book readers don't care for anthologies
I thought it was westerners don't like anthologies period.

>Have floppies and all that for collectors
As if Diamond will allow low print orders. The problems with overshipping and comic shops being ruined is the printing company scams.

I would be perfectly happy if DC or Marvel published a magazine where they just let creators go crazy and do whatever they want - much like SOLO, except with multiple creators per issue.

>black and white art on cheap paper
>draconian editors
>being forced to change stories based on polls
>10ish pages of any one story
No thanks

And yet for every other magazine they have mail subscriptions

enjoy ten tousand of your rehashed batman and xmen comics then.

The variant cover is a cancer that needs to be earsed from the cape comicbook industry
Beside, a similar thing happen with manga volumes where different stores has a exclusive ilustration along it

>>being forced to change stories based on polls
Why are you including this lie in your otherwise good points

And yet Shueisha is making bank while the big two will probably go bankrupt in a few years and mouse will probably close marvel comics and only focuses on movies.

Do you enjoy the ten thousand rehashed tournament arcs more?

The problem is dealing with the turbo-autists. They call in and complain about bent corners when they had their comics sent over the fucking mail. The costs of dealing with those fuck overrode the benefits of providing such a service in the first place.

>Variant covers being an issue
Not for me. I buy trades and get all the pretty covers at the back.

>black and white art on cheap paper
>draconian editors
These are both improvements. It allows for cheaper comics, better incentive to buy trades, and less of the bullfuckery we see at DC and Marvel these days by incompetent fuckstains.

>stories changing based on polls
Literally never.
>10ish pages
If you're Akira Toriyama. The standard is around 16-20.

This will weed out the shitty artists and writers out the industry.

Isn't editors a problem for Marvel and DC too

Because weekly shounen manga takes in talent by the truckload and kills them with inhuman update schedules.
If you think comics are going down the shitter now, imagine a world were authors and artists are expected to be broken faucets of ideas and be able to get it all published.

Good to know you can't refute the argument. Marvel and DC are creatively bankrupt and the customers moved on from the same shit stories being told by the same old characters.

Because it's not sustainable. That's part of the reason why Viz abandoned a physical magazine in favor of a digital one years ago.

Like... what did they expect?

Sometimes it's best if you have an ending in mind when making a story. If you have to change it last minute because of poll results it will be shit.
See Bleach as an example.

Apparently pristine, collector-grade comics delivered flawlessly by the US postal service.

That's pretty much why most companies don't do mail order. Like most things in the American CB industry, we suffer because of autists with insane bank accounts and too much free time.

Well, that's ONE of the reasons. They also, like maybe around 50 issues in, skipped all the chapters to what's currently coming out in Japan, so basically a GET FUCKED if you were collecting the Shonen Jumps only. Lots of people complained.
Also I dunno something something scanlations. They cited several reasons for why it failed. Like, it didn't fail at first that's for sure.

I'm sure being literal months/years behind the free scans online had nothing to do with that.

American customer base is fucking cancer. If Japan is doing fine then it can be done.

Literally why I said "part of" the reason.

Well a big difference is that the manga industry is full of people who're willing to work in borderline slave labor conditions until they burn out completely or die from exhaustion, whereas the comic industry is full of writers and artists who struggle to meet monthly, let alone bi-weekly or, god help me, weekly deadlines.

Archie does it. Their customers are families, children, and such a small number of autists that it's not that big of a deal. Meanwhile IDW doesn't because can you IMAGINE the screams of comic collecting "bronies" when their Flutterbutt special issue has a crease?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: there isn't a single legitimate reason besides Diamond-cucking that Amazon isn't a certified seller of comics. You should be able to buy comics just as you would other cheap items: only available for low cost/shipping if your total order is $25 or over. It's simple as hell, and given how many people use Amazon/etc. for basically all their shopping, it's a damn no-brainer.

In all honesty, comics *are* cheap to produce. The only reason the companies exist right now with their terrible is because there's so much markup and profit over things so cheap. Lowering the price via costcutting isn't the issue: access will always be the modern issue. As long as physical floppies are not-utterly-obvious to get ahold of, comics will never reach their potential.

And I'm saying that it's absolutely a sustainable model. Shonen Jump sales in the US were pretty damn good for a long while, but competing against free while being THAT far behind was what killed it.

>slave labor conditions
Well if they're doing manga and it gets successful at least they'll get paid good money for it. Unlike the animators.

> free online scans

I love reading zoro say the fuck word with absolutely abysmal scan quality.

The funny part is they really don't have to, it's just the big magazines that push their workers like that.

Look at Ohkubo, for instance. Fucker got his start in a monthly mag doing shit that makes a lot of American webcomics look good. Dude's never pushed himself very hard, not with Soul Eater, not with his current Fire Fighter comic.

Hey, when you're 15 and the scans are 175 chapters ahead, you take what you can get. Not like Viz's translation of One Piece was particularly good in the first place.

>but competing against free while being THAT far behind was what killed it.
They tried to fix that by making the magazine print the latest chapters and said "buy the volumes if you wanna know what happened". It turns out that also made people upset.

Fun fact, if you can find them, the first releases of Shonen Jump had heavy cursing in them. I remember they said SHIT a lot in One Piece, especially by Sanji. Volume releases took these out.

Like it or not, there're plenty of people who are willing to take the quality hit if it means getting content for free. It's why camrips and mp3's are a thing.

If Amazon starts selling floppies then every single comic store will go out of business. I don't give a fuck as a lot of people will actually be able to buy comics but I can see where some people might riot.

FUUUUUUUCK Viz in their assholes. There is no reason why they charge their books so much with garbage paper quality and abysmal translations. While the international translated mangas by different publications sell the comics with dust covers and correct scale like the original Japanese and they still manage to sell them cheaper despite being translated.

>Give me one good reason why DC and Marvel shouldn't making shounen jump style comics where they mail subscribers a magazine filled with multiple comics each month/week
52 countdown.
Also forcing people to buy stories that they aren't interested in to get the onese they want.

Shounen Jump is how you force people to buy manga like Bleach, and doing that in the west would make comics like America have a longer lifespan.

Also, you can have your comics delivered.

>They tried to fix that by making the magazine print the latest chapters and said "buy the volumes if you wanna know what happened". It turns out that also made people upset.
Well yeah, that's because they screwed the people who had actually been following via the magazines. No win situation there.

The anthology format in regular floppies is doomed to failure, but big ol phonebooks like WSJ done with low quality paper are absolutely a doable thing.

It's almost impossible to say, because of the sheer, unadulterated volume of manga released in Japan. There are hundreds upon hundreds of manga running in Japan at any give time. Less than 10% of it gets translated in any form.

>52 Countdown

But 52 was great.

>weekly deadlines.

I would love to see wizard magazine's jokes on that.

>10%
That's way too damn generous.
It's 1% at best, and we're not even getting into the doujin market. Japan lives and breathes funny picture books.

As someone who's been reading 2000ad since childhood I've always wanted a similar anthology series for capes. It'd be a great way to introduce new or obscure characters alongside the popular ones and there's less chance of the whole issue being shit

>Bendis on a weekly

I want to see this.

If these fuckers just calmed down and learned to rotate the manga in the magazines so the mangakas were not burning out after a couple of years it would be fine

HunterXHunter should just be a monthly manga series desu

>force people to buy Bleach

Bleach was pretty good for the first half

Imagine Johns on a weekly. Idiot broke down with monthly Doomsday Cock.

Weekly Shonen Jump readership has gone down significantly in the last few years due probably to the aging population but, like everything else, people prefering to get things online. I'm not sure how WSJ's online game is but other publishers will have online publications with usually the week's new chapters available for free while the rest is paywalled.

I mean if Marvel (for example) was smart they should definitely try to group things together based on genre or IP. Imagine if, for example, you had X-Men Monthly where instead of issues of X-Men spread out throughout the month it was all collected in one magazine for a price of, say, $4.99 or $5.99. Print it on newsprint to sell it for cheaper as well but keep it full color. Or you can have a magazine devoted to horror/occult (so your Doctor Stranges, Ghost Riders, etc.), sci-fi (Fantastic Four, Iron Man), fantasy (Thor, Conan and the like). Maybe magazines targeting different demos the way manga has stuff like shonen, seinen, shoujo, josei, etc.; just on and on. They'd probably be easier to get in non-comic shops too.

But that's infeasible because anthologies don't sell and retailers would like throw a fit.

Not even going in to Miura and his constant delays in new chapters of Berserk, which has become a meta-joke in of itself.

What Marvel (again using them as an example) SHOULD do is copy what other manga publishers (say Square-Enix with Gangan Online) have done and have an online magazine with exclusive series. Don't make it like the shitty online comics they or DC have been doing where basically every panel is its own page, do like the online readers or Comixology do and just present it as a normal issue or chapter. Do Marvel Unlimited as a monthly web magazine, get twelve series (stuff already being published physically and new series) and put them all online. Each new issue/chapter for each series is free until the next issue/chapter replaces it, you can subscribe for the previous content (and maybe an archive of older comics like current Unlimited) and whatever other extras.

No physical releases for these series outside of TPBs which should be done, again, on newsprint (and maybe in digest size/just do straight up tankobon I guess). Somewhere like this would be a great place to stick series like Gwenpool, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, and a variety of other newer series in different genres and targeting different demographics. Controversial as this would be this would be pull Ms. Marvel from floppies and make it the headline series and you'd probably get a good response.

>Bleach was pretty good for the first half
>half
user, even saying half od Bleach is good is a bit much.
But still, if you buy SJ to get the newest chapter of Boruto or whatever you're still buying and supporting things like Bleach too because you have to. The American comic system lets you pick and chose what to support.

I think you're conflating 52 and Countdown [to Final Crisis], user.

52 was a fun book. Countdown was shit.

That's what polls and trade sales are for.
Bleach should have ended at Grand Fisher. Everything after that was shit, and it was the natural conclusion for the story.

Jump is cheap because mangaka work for slave wages. Wouldn't work here. Also it wouldn't sell.

Samefag but really I meant to say twelve to sixteen series, three or four of them every week for the month. So maybe first week gets, say a new chapter of Ms. Marvel, Ghost Rider and whatever. Week two gets Gwenpool, a teen-oriented X-Men book (i.e. your New Mutants, GenX, that stuff), etc. Just keep going thorughout the month, same as any physical release.

The guys who made Death Note/Bakuman have said that if they hadn't made a second successful series, they wouldn't be able to afford to eat. Manga does not pay its creators very well.

No you're thinking of Japanese animators

>>Death Note royalties including anime and volume sales aren't enough to allow you to eat

lol ok

It's entirely a matter of who you work for, the contract you sign and how you go about it.

Seriously, look at this MegaTokyo tier shit.
This guy was putting this out once a month. Don't talk to me about the horrible work conditions of all mangaka. This guy has been sailing by his whole career.

Their words, not mine. That should tell you something.

Successful Mangakas have also become millionaires. Stop cherrypicking.

Wednesday Comics didn't sell that well though did it

They probably didn't get shit, hence all the adaptations and merch. Kinda like how Batman got less shit for decades when DC could more easily exploit Superman for profit.

If it means getting your manga 3 days early, people will take that hit every time.

>Give me one good reason why DC and Marvel shouldn't making shounen jump style comics
Because Anthology series died out in the west in the fucking fifties.

>Volume releases
No, it got into the first runs too.
Later releases toned it down.
And then I think even later editions turned it back up.

It's a mess.

>Jump is cheap because mangaka work for slave wages.
It's cheap because it's printed in black and white on cheap paper (newsprint) which keeps production costs down; pay has nothing to do with it. The cheap production costs keeps the price low which means more people are willing to spend the money to buy it; WSJ comes out to around $2.40 per issue I believe.

Prices for floppies really started skyrocketing when the switch was made from newsprint to gloss text in the latter half of the '90s (also because companies believe they can get away with it). Switch to newsprint (not even just going to black and white) and you could probably knock anywhere from $1 to $2 off of an issue. As an example, Batgirl of Burside vol. 1 collects six issues at a $14.99 price point. Meanwhile v1 of the Cass series that DC released back in 2016 is printed on newsprint and collects twelve issues plus an Annual for $19.99. Just to drive it home the v1 collection of the Steph series that DC put out last year also collects issues 1-12 but with a price point of $29.99 which leads me to believe the paper is gloss text.

Jesus with that numbers than there bound to be some absolute trash being published, I guess al we get is the filtered shit that’s good enough to be published, also why are japs so ok with edgy shit?

Gloss paper is fine for trades but absolutely shouldn't be used for floppies. Fuck, make that an incentive for buying digital; you get the best image quality pre-trade.

Dude, the vast majority of manga makes DC and Marvel's output look marvelous. Most of the fuckers just copy each other.

Yeah Japan’s have a work hard and loyal for no matter what mentality even if it’s shit pay the companies owns your sorry ass and all you can do is say thank you

So what you’re saying is there both shit?

DC and Marvel's stories are all rehashed copypaste. Your point?

Yes.
Japan isn't a magical land of perfect comic engineers. They just have a way bigger comics market that puts out content by an entire order of magnitude larger.

See above.
Everyone's the same.

no color ~ no buy

You are aware there is coloured print newsletter, right? Mr autismo?

It largely depends. Mangaka own (or at least co-own with the publisher) their series. They don't usually make more than an upfront fee for any adaptation like an anime, live action movie, etc. Contracts can vary by publishers but I know some (and assume most) are paid per page, same as in the U.S.

Where the big money is made is from tankobon royalties which I beleive are usually at around 10% (so around 50 or 60 yen per tank). The thing is that from what I've seen the royalties come not from tanks sold but from circulation. I believe One Piece volume 59 had the highest circulation at 3.2 million. So say each sells at 500 yen meaning Oda makes 50 yen per printed tank, that means Oda on that one volume made 160 million yen or about $1.46 million. Can't find circulation numbers but the most recent volume (vol 87) sold 1.5 million copies in 10/17. So going purely by sales, Oda made 75 million yen in October or around $686,000. That was just one month of sales mind you. To go a step further, One Piece tank sales lifetime are approximately 430 million. Comes out to around 21,500,000,000 yen (or around $196,000,000) based on tank royalties from tank sales alone. With Oda I'm assuming he likely gets higher licensing fees from movies, characters being used in commercials and theme parks and etc.

Oda's a special case of course but the larger point is this: if you really want to support a mangaka buy the tanks as that's where they're going to make the lion's share of their money.

Also yeah you have to work hard and in Japan most mangaka have assistants so obviously whatever they make in their regular contract, royalties, etc. will have to come out of their pocket to pay them. Oda's put himself in the hospital too due to overworking but, well, you're not going to make Odabucks by sitting on your ass. You can't say he hasn't earned every yen he's made.

To make it work you'd need at least three A-List characters/team (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Avengers, X-Men, Captain America) who appear and ONLY appear in said anthology and have their stories be done by only A-List talent and featuring major universe changing stories you have to read or else you will fall behind on the main storylines going on in the entire line of Marvel or DC.

Second, you tell EVERYONE that the A-List characters in the anthology? NO FUCKING TRADE PAPERBACKS FOR TEN YEARS. Trade fags are basically told to fuck off and die as far as telling them to either buy the anthology or get the fuck out of dodge

>NO FUCKING TRADE PAPERBACKS FOR TEN YEARS.
What the fuck are you talking about? Japanese volumes come out almost immediately after the magazine chapters are released and they sell like hotcakes.
The problem is that target audience just rather pirate shit. And comic companies have no clue how to market their comics to noncomic readers.

Are you old enough to remember when Tokyopop had commercials for manga on daytime TV

I wonder if that helped in the long run. I mean, for manga in general, Tokyopop obviously fucking died.

>he doesn't know

Because you have to make the anthologies sell and you can only do that by making them the ONLY FUCKING WAY to read the stories.

Only after a decade, when the anthologies are now solid sells, only THEN do you start churning out trades. But for the first 10 years, you have to FORCE people to buy the anthology by removing all alternatives so that they have no choice but to do so

>Tokyopop
Out of every publisher I've ever seen, their library is by far the strangest.

I mean, they have a mix of real manga, "American manga", and some really weird stuff.
It's a mix of books that belong on Sup Forums, Sup Forums, or Sup Forums.

>people are actually defending a system in which artists constantly end up in the hospital due to overworking
The absolute fucking state of weebs.

You're acting like most monthly 23 page comics aren't rife with filler because they don't know how to fill the book.

Think how many times you see copy and pasted panels these days.

If I had a cringe meme image to imply you were a liar I would certainly post it good sir!

Americans don't have that same work ethic. Japanese people never see their homes or family. Japanese people die when they stop working. Except for Toriyama and Togashi who are geniuses that can fart out an award winning manga in their sleep.

Even Toriyama, in his prime, was pretty prolific. Dragonball stayed at a consistant 15-20 pages a week and never really took a break for its entire run.

jump doesn't