Anyone remember Redwall?

First lore series I remember watching and loving. Never read the books, but this was quite the enjoyable and satisfying cartoon without having to know the source material.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Redwall-Cookbook-Brian-Jacques/dp/0399237917
youtube.com/watch?v=R2OzI4Do5-Y&list=FL9hiROKG6j7au2WL1ebC7Nw&index=309
youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY
youtube.com/watch?v=5rKYL0tW-Ek
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Read the books. NOT because books are better than animation, but because in this case, they are objectively better. At least there is actual violence, which makes freaking sense when you're writing about medieval knights defending against invading armies.

I read the books. not all of them though. salamandostron was the first one i picked up from the junior high library. big ol' hardback. i thought to myself "what in the hell this is a badger in armor the fuck is this i have to read this"

I read the books, only recently learned about the cartoon. Worth watching?

I can see the books being better. There was surprisingly a fair amount of violence in the animated series, but of course it wouldn’t be on par with the original novels.

It’s a really good cartoon. Great voice actors, animation, and music. It also has a decent amount of violence and death (nothing too graphic) considering how it’s targeted at a young audience.

I’d highly recommend watching it. There are 3 seasons. First is gold, 2nd one is good as well, 3rd is alright, but doesn’t have the same charm as the first 2 seasons.

Stop what you're doing right now and go back in time and read the books.

Like this user says , they are objectively better. Also there was tons of food in the books, so they ended up writing a cookbook too.

>wew
I remember this was on PBS during the weekends

salamandostron is great
great show. the second season with martin the warrior was real good. the ending hits you right in the feels. wish they'd make more, you wouldnt even need the same voice actors or anything.

>First lore series I remember
You mean serial?

>tfw the last time Urthwyte saw his brother he was hurtling off a mountain, bear-hugging their parents' murderer

It's a melancholic feel.

I remember the books. Didn't know there was a cartoon.

You can be "serialized" without having "lore." Like, lore implies something happened in the past that is important in the present. Serialization is just using the events of a previous episode to drive the events of another episode. The key difference is that lore requires something to have happened chronologically before the events of the series, whereas serialization can be entirely within the normal flow of time without referencing anything chronologically earlier than the start of the series..

For example, as far as I know, Total Drama operates entirely without lore, but all the events occur serially. Steven Universe has lore, because important events happened in the past of the series that influence events in the present.

Erry day's a sckool day

Wasn’t there a season 4 planned based on the Mossflower book?

Was he a good villain?

I just can't get into serious gritty stories coated with anthro animals for the sake of appealing to children and to disguise itself as a children's book.

Same problem I had with Alice in Wonderland.

Eh, he was alright.

There are ~5 good books in the series worth reading. Mossflower, Redwall, Mattimeo, Salamandastron, and Martin the Warrior. Mossflower is honestly my favorite. There are some decent ones in the rest of the 17 books, Long Patrol, and the Bellmaker. The rest are okay to bad/boring.

Not seen the series, but if the soundtrack doesn't use almost entirely nothing but mandolins and flutes I think it's made a mistake before it even started.

Bullshit. You take that back.

Pearls of Lutra, Outcast of Redwall, Lord Brocktree, and Marlfox were all great.

It's less that they're bad and more that they get incredibly repetitive. Plus, they're kids' books and relative simplistic in both structure and morals. Going in publication order, I'd say anyone interested should read the first seven: Redwall, Mossflower, Mattimeo, Mariel of Redwall, Salamandastron, Martin the Warrior, and The Bellmaker.

After that, you can pick and choose. I'm a huge fan of The Long Patrol, for example.

Aw hell yeah, love this one

Yeah it takes huge leaps away from the books respective but they’re still great

I think a lot of that comes from going to an entirely new character and location after developing Matthias and the redwallers for two seasons

Martin is still goddamn husbando

Good times

Long Patrol is amazing, Taggerung and Brocktree are also pretty boss

I absolutely loved this cartoon as a kid.

I think that there are better and worse ones, but for certain people who grew up and subsequently aged out of the series as it was being written, later books just feel more repetitive and you stop reading them at some point. For kids books though, they are all quality. (and the original covers were gorgeous).

I've never reread them and kind of don't want to ruin the memory. RIP Brian Jacques.

These books forever shaped my opinion of badgers as ancestral warrior kings.

I WILL SHOW YOU ETERNITYYY

Yeah I thought so. I liked his constant autistic screeching when things went wrong and the haunting C plot was cool too as he slowly lost his mind from mouse curses

Season 1>3>2

I barely remember him
But I do remember Asmodeus
>Naming your villain after a catholic demon king

Can someone explain to me why Asmodeus was asleep when Matthias found him. Didn’t he only kill 2 people of Matthias’s party? Why would you fall asleep while there are still intruders in your domain?

He was a weird nigga

I imagine more time was supposed to have happened than was apparent. Plus he probably (somewhat correctly) assumed the beasts were gonna be so lost that he’d be able to hunt them down at his leisure

Or you could just read Mossflower and be good. It's just the best of the bunch.

Brutal

Badgers are extremely metal. They live in a volcano with hundreds of pledged warrior slaves. They all have ridiculous names like "Boar the Fighter" and "Sunflash the Mace."

Lorewise, I couldn't tell but biologically speaking it make sense because snakes have in average a very slow metabolism which a single meal can feed for a week, if they stay lethargic during the digestion.

Also he is a reptile after all, cold-minded and all that. Obviously he expected the beasts not to react effectively against him with logical reasoning like that other user pointed out so its kind of understanding he wasn't expecting a single mouse to come fuck shit up. If he does that is, I have no idea what the story about to be honest

Snek steal sword

Maus want sword

Jews help get but also get eat

>*autistic screeching*

I hope you don’t mind me raping your waifu, user!

Porridge? They’ve defeated me with

PORRIDGE?!

CHEESETHIEEEEEEEEEEF

Big disappointment is that we never get to see Martin help found Redwall, or get his new sword

His origin story was cool but there should have been a fourth season of the early Redwallers and Martin coming to mossflower

All these posts about Cluny the Scourge and Asmodeus, but what about my boy Slagar the Cruel?

Best villain by far of show

Curry fucking rocks the role as the opposite of Cluny, witty and oozing charisma

A DISHCLOOOTH?!

>Badgers are extremely metal.
Not just badger lords, either. Never forget that some of the most brutal deaths caused by badgers in the series were from Abbey Badger Mothers, some of whom were fucking retired female Badger Lords. Badger Mothers, when not smashing net-bound rats against the wall until they're nothing but fleshy goo, are responsible for making sure the children are looked after while their parents tend to the Abbey.

>Lorewise, I couldn't tell
He's arrogant. The worst he thought they'd feasibly be able to do is maybe give him a scrape.

Cluny will always be my favorite Redwall villain solely because of how genuinely baffled he was by the way his plans failed. Many villains would gnash their teeth about losing to goodbeasts and the incompetence of their own troops, but Cluny was just straight up confused how anybody would consider porridge a genuine defensive strategy, even though it was obviously effective as hell.

what I never got though

Slagar was dealing with Malkariss for lands and power, but he had the entirety of Redwall at his mercy. He could have had what appears to be the greatest fortified settlement for who knows how far around

I get he wanted that poetic vengeance or whatever, but it doesn't make a lot of sense

it's not like the animation skimped out on the violence. It was just sort of limited by being somewhat low budget.

That said, one thing I really liked about it was the way the "cliffhanger" end of episode closeout was always a tapestry depicting all the events that happened in the episode

>Boar the fighter takes all the sea rats on head on to create a diversion so the party can escape and steal their boat
>says shit like "come closer sea rats! let my blade kiss you to sleep!" and "ah my old enemy, I embrace you now, as a friend" while grabbing him and literally crushing him against his armor with one hand while swinging a massive sword in the other, going down fighting in a swarm of enemy rats

Brian Jaques really knew how to write engaging dialogue and had a great knack for writing vivid visuals.

also, he was real fond of going into detail when it came to food, because growing up in the war, food was scarce, and he enjoyed therefore reading cookbooks with their detailed descriptions. And it bothered him when stories said something like "the king treated the hero to a feast" and never explained how the feast went.

So he made sure to write every single detail about feasts in Redwall, and made it a central part of his writing.

he even made a pretty good cookbook, partnering with some chef

amazon.com/Redwall-Cookbook-Brian-Jacques/dp/0399237917

I mean its entirely meat free because its stuff rodents would eat, but it's all still pretty good. Broken down into seasonal stuff. so scones and tea for spring/summer, hot vegetable soups for winter, etc

These books were dumb good. Basically what got me into and kept me reading. I read every one in the school's library or bought them.

Taggerung is the shit.

Not as much a scourge so much as a nuisance.

That was probably the coolest part of every episode. The tapestry of Asmodeus with the sword was dope as hell.

>Taggerung is the shit.
I liked Taggerung for the most part, but holy hell why did Tagg turn against the tribe? He didn't have any metric to base his "killing things am wrong" mindset, and his adoptive dad treated him fucking wonderfully, so what's his excuse outside the fact that he was a designated "goodbeast"?

the epilogues at the end with the church recorder still get me a little choked up when I rewatch

>invited to come again to Redwall Abbey, but you never REALLY can

>*crunch*

shit was fuckin gruesome sounding

i watched this as a kid, rewatched in 2010, and thanks to OP here I go again

Aw yiss

Hope it’s good to ya

good so far

started with season 2, don't remember it as well

Tim Curry was such a good pick for Slagar

COME ON UP THEN SHREWWWWWWW

>Remember the show
>Read the book
>Decide to rewatch show on kisscartoon
>MFW seeing how short the entire series is

13 episodes for three seasons each

t'aint bad. Each covers a good, full arc

sure, wouldn't complain if there was more, but we got a fair shake all in all

>also, he was real fond of going into detail when it came to food, because growing up in the war, food was scarce, and he enjoyed therefore reading cookbooks with their detailed descriptions. And it bothered him when stories said something like "the king treated the hero to a feast" and never explained how the feast went.

It's not just that. He was also a storyteller at a school for the blind.

Sounds like genuinely good practice for being an evocative writer.

Can't remember which badger it was, I think the one in Loamhedge, grabbed a pirate captain by the neck, used him as an arrow shield and then beat his entire crew to death with his limp body.
God I love badgers.

I would listen to a metal album purely based on badger feats in the redwall series. Why doesn't this exist?

Pretty much every animal in the weasel family badass little fuckers.

hey, anyone remember the lizard guy assassin ( i think it was in salamandostron) that climbed the castle and fell to his death from something silly like someone shutting an open window down on him or something? i don't remember exactly what happened, just that is was funny as hell

>first time reading it

"...sala... salalma... smalamamd....i'm taking this home"

EE EE

KILLY

I have actually given serious thought to forming a power metal band whose albums basically covered the stories from the books, because shit like the fight with Asmodeus or the assault on Fort Bladegirt is worth a metal song or two.

Some people had the same idea as you, kind of. it's not power metal but it's something

youtube.com/watch?v=R2OzI4Do5-Y&list=FL9hiROKG6j7au2WL1ebC7Nw&index=309

mfw seeing him without his mask

Honestly, you won't. I read The Bellmaker with my cousin and it's as good as I remember it being when I read it as a child.

IN THE END, SLAGAR. WILL. WIN!

Motherfucking damn birds

Why were they always the BIGGEST cunts

I discovered this show recently and it's really good. Anyone knows if there is a polish dubbed version? I would like to show it to kids.

Fraid not

DIDN'T YOU GET SWALLOWED BY A GIANT SNAKE?

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF RETCON IS THIS?

The best kind, foolish critic!

I liked that cartoon only knife throwing mouse waifu. If I was Matthias I would have gone with her instead of Cornflower.

Why can’t modern cartoons be as dark and serious as Redwall? Has there been anything similar to this show in the past decade?

Oh shit this takes me back
I hope hbo, amazon or netflix buy the rights to redwall

Nope.

Makes me want to end it all...

Why?

Huh..... you could sell it as a kids version of game of thrones I guess?

Because there’re hardly any decent animated series that have a serious undertone. It’s either RANDOM XDDD or [insert adult joke] *laughter.*

Bizarre, but surprisingly decent. Is this "nerdcore?"

now everything fantasy and medieval is compared to GoT, it is getting boring.

I agree it's a stupid trend. I was thinking of how to best market it to netflix/hbo execs.

>first mention of Cornflower and it's to say she shouldn't have been paired with best boy like the best girl she is

This cannot fucking stand

Oi surpose izz toime fer a gurt feast! Whurr kin a nobul mole loike meself foind sum ale, ah? Oim roigh thurstee!

I have never read nor watched Redwall. but as a kid I adored that old disney animated Hobbit and Return of the King.

Did I miss out? is it too late to pick them up as an adult?

As opposed to how everything was compared to LotR in the past?

Crowds always compare to what is popular/familiar to them. Always been that way.

Best characterization coming through.

Is this whole series basically a microcosm of Britain in the form of animals.

>Disney

That's RB.

Not at all. I watched the show for the first time less than a year ago

And the legacy of the books speak for themselves

I'm half convinced all the cartoon moles were a single, quantum entity appearing in many places at once

hungering for vegetal sup

oh right. they played it on disney channel a lot when I was little.

yay I have now found a new book series to obsess over

youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY

>Britian in the form of animals
Essentially- I'm not too studied up on regional accents, but the moles are , I'm pretty sure the Badger's are supposed to have a Scottish accent, and of course the hares have a dialect pulled straight from TV and movies about the RAF.

youtube.com/watch?v=5rKYL0tW-Ek