Is this movie worth the hype to the point that it snagged away an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature from an...

Is this movie worth the hype to the point that it snagged away an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature from an animated movie about the tragic effects of bullying and suicide, an animated film about the power of creativity of a child’s mind, and an animated film about a girl who has magical powers for just one night?

Other urls found in this thread:

rottentomatoes.com/m/the_big_bad_fox_and_other_tales
youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not really. It's alright, but not Oscar worthy.

Silent Voice was garbage, so yes for that one. Haven't seen Mary and the Witch's flower yet. What movie are you talking about for the second one?

>A Silent Voice
>garbage

Captain Underpants

>what are you doing here?
To talk about comics and cartoons. Preferably ones of higher quality than a silent voice.

Ah right, haven't seen that either. Boss Baby isn't oscar-nom worthy but it's not a bad movie. Could've picked worse.

>fake quote
Embarassing, don't put words in people mouth.

It was in the gif you dumb cunt.

>all the outrage over boss baby getting a nom
>no one cares about pic related

>forgetting that it was released the same weekend alongside The Last Jedi
And now you know why nobody gave a shit

I think that's user's point. Nobody gave a shit, so why did it get nominated?

Because Heaven’s Feel and Kizumonogatari III didn’t play in enough theaters. That and the world is fucking awful.

voter's kids

Let’s hear you, what makes A Silent Voice garbage?

The academy doesn't give a shit about animation.
It's not an exaggeration, the people voting in it often haven't seen anything nominated.
People should stop caring about a glorified circle-jerk.

Probably 'cause Fox was still sour over The Peanuts Movie not getting nominated and told its employees to shill that movie to the Academy.

It also benefited from its release date being around award season.

Was honestly surprised at how good this movie turned out. A bit of an emotional roller coaster at times too.

It's just a retard being contrarian, same as anywhere else on this board/site.

Extremely melodramatic, a problem with a lot of anime nowadays. I hated how they expected me to feel sympathy for the main girl on the sole basis that she's cute and deaf, when she has the personality of chewed up cardboard. Same thing with the main character, they shove it down your throat that's he depressed and suicidal and that's basically his character. The whole time I could feel the movie trying to emotionally manipulate me, but I didn't give much of a shit because the characters were so flat and lifeless. A few of the side characters added nothing and should've been cut from the movie entirely. Also, the low point when the main guy burned all his friends for no reason was so incredibly hamfisted, just like they were ticking it off on a checklist for a generic 3 act story. There was zero believability to this film. It's not enough to have a suicidal, deaf girl, play some sad music and expect me to automatically get emotional about it. The moments where they were obviously trying to illicit an emotional response felt kind of insulting, because the whole thing was so transparent and facile. It's a shame because the premise had a lot of potential, but they went for the easy route and made a cheap, stilted feels trip instead of offering a genuine, nuanced exploration of bullying. At least the animation was great.

>anyone who has a different opinion than the mainstream is contrarian
fuck off.

That’s unfortunately true to the point that the category has the same validity as the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards

What the fuck do nomination snubs have to do with anything when Coco is guaranteed to win regardless?

Christ, people are so desperate for some form of validation for a medium that is viewed as children exclusive in the West that they get pissy over their "for mature audiences" animated movie not getting a participation ribbon. We could get great nominations every single year and that doesn't address the real problem of Disney winning them all every time.

The majority of the time it’s pretty much justified, like with Coco

>Loving Vincent, Breadwinner, Coco, Captain Underpants, Lego Batman
Better?

Anime doesn't need Oscars, but this just makes the award look really stupid, and by extension American animation.

This movie was better then i expected. Especially the final battle which was surprisingly dialogueless, pretty uncommon for a CG cartoon.

LE EPIK PIXAR/DREAMWORKS FACE

>muh lego batman

it wasnt as good as TLM but still, at least it didnt have guy in a diaper as protagonist.

unrelated:
what do you think about Ceaser Awards?

*Cesar

The one with the fox was submitted for the oscars. Now THAT was unfairly snubbed.

rottentomatoes.com/m/the_big_bad_fox_and_other_tales

subs where?

Best Animated Feature is literally the worst Oscar category. May as well be renamed "The Disney Award".

we know

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g

What is the point of that image? To show at least 7 people share a similiar opinion about an animated movie? What kind of loser made that?

They made a mistake by trying to squeak in Mary and the Witch's Flower for Oscar contention this year. They should have left if for its intended release date and it would have been eligible for "next" year. and probably nominated.

Funimation made the same mistake last year with Your Name.

>an animated film about the power of creativity of a child’s mind
Which one is this?

For all their talk of diversity, these judges are incredibly close minded and wouldn't dare entertain the idea of seriously watching cartoons. And cartoons from JAPAN? Oh no no no, that's just too difficult to imagine.

boicot the oscars Sup Forums

#OscarsSoDisney

Watch as the western remake of Your Name gets an oscar nom.

See

>Lego Batman Movie was robbed, ROBBED
>What's In This Corner Of The World?
>What's The Girl Without Hands?
>What's Window Horses?

>people are STILL assblasted about the Oscars
For fuck's sake, just let it go. Nobody with half a brain cares about this glorified circlejerk.
Btw, Boss Baby was better than Koe No Katachi and Kimi No Na Wa.

>Btw, Boss Baby was better than Koe No Katachi and Kimi No Na Wa.
Have you been drinking again?

No. Have you? Both of these movies are mediocre. Boss Baby is a 6/10

You are only saying this because Boss Baby is American and KnK and KnNW are Japanese. It's just hyper-nationalism.

I'm from Europe actually and love anime. Boss Baby is just unironically decent. Good visuals and way more funny than the trailers would make you think.

You kidding? It's more likely because the judges went "oh, I remember Ferdinand from when I was a kid, that's still a thing?"

Non American here. Most anime movies are boring and their main characters are lame as fuck.

This. The trailers do the movie no justice.

This is just nationalism, whether it's specifically American or pan-Western nationalism. Sore losers.

>Boss Baby is just unironically decent

now you are just shitposting.

>Boss Baby is just unironically decent
just admit that youre a toddlercon

I watched the first 25 minutes and it wasn't funny at all.

>he calls others "sore losers" even though his anime got no nomination

>Sore losers.
says the weeb bitching about his feature length chinese cartoons getting snubbed.

Anime doesn't need validation from the Oscars.

I said or implied nothing whatsoever that could in any possible way demonstrate that I'm a weeaboo.

>Anime doesn't need validation from the Oscars.
No movie does. And yet you're salty.

Salty about what? I just said:
>Anime doesn't need validation from the Oscars.
You're the one who is salty because anime is so far ahead of Western animation. The only thing you can cling to now is that Boss Baby got an Oscar nomination.

>You're the one who is salty because anime is so far ahead of Western animation.
Nice strawman lol. I actually completely agree that anime assfucks cartoons on a regular basis. At least tv shows. Western animated movies are still decent to great at times.

>if you don't enjoy boring, melodramatic movies with boring, lame characters you are a loser
I like anime but man, most of these anime movies fucking sucks

Then what is your role in this argument?

They are both vastly superior to Boss Baby as are the vast majority of anime movies. You are just a sore loser.

>They are both vastly superior to Boss Baby

>They are both vastly superior to Boss Baby
They aren't

They are. That's what I said.

They are. You are a sore loser.

>I'M NOT MAD, IT'S YOU WHO IS MAD

keep going

That's right.

What is this supposed to mean?

>Koe no Katachi good movie, mad me cri and made me laff

It's better than Boss Baby.

>Boss Baby bad cuz its fo babies

You are just admitting I'm right.

>Kimi no na wa popular movie, and very deep shtory as wel

Again you are admitting I am right.

>stop being racis, was good mobie i swear

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't think it's garbage. It's not using its full potential, but it's not garbage, and much more deserving of an Oscar nomination than Boss Baby.

Once again you are admitting I am right. What makes you think this is a good strategy?

Not even him but you just keep saying "I am right and you are wrong". Why don't you actually explain why you think that these movies in particular deserve an Oscar? Or address what posted?

He keeps agreeing that I am right, and I already said that anime doesn't need Oscars.

Uh, okay? That doesn't answer my question at all though.

How does it not answer it?

Learn to read between the lines dude. What makes you say that Boss Baby is worse than these movies?

>Oscars are shit and don't matter
>Anime doesn't need or care about Oscars
>It's a crime that Boss Baby got an Oscar nomination that they won't win, instead of my Animes.

Does this pretty well sum up this thread?
Can it die now?

What makes you say it's better? Nationalism, that's what.

I think this guy just wants a retard-fite with you. Don't be a retard with him.

Once again: anime doesn't need Oscars. I made this very clear.

>answering a question with a counter-question

I have said nothing retarded.

That was a rhetorical question, and answering a question with a question is completely valid.

I can't think of anything that "needs" Oscars, particularly with all the streaming of indie content.
I don't watch Oscar Night, and find it hard to believe anyone in this thread, on either side, does either. This was always a stupid thread.

I still don't know why you think these movies are good, or why you think Boss Baby is bad. Why don't you actually answer my question? It's really tiresome to argue when you're being like this.

What possible need could an animated feature have for an Oscar?
The stuff that's going to be successful in theaters is still going to be successful.
Is it going to cause a few hundred hipsters to pick it up on Blu Ray or something?
Oscars haven't increased the exposure of Japanese animated theatrical movies in the US, deals with American distribution companies (like Disney) do that.

This is like complaining that Japanese baseball teams don't win America's "World" series. They have their own competitions and trophies; and American teams aren't invited to them either.

Why don't you stop being a raving nationalist lunatic?

It's very likely he hasn't seen at least one of the movies he's advocating.

That's bait, not a response to his question.

It's very likely that you are a nationalist lunatic.

That wasn't bait and that was a response.

So, as a raving nationalist lunatic, exactly how many movies being discussed in this thread haven't you seen?

>can't even explain why he likes or dislikes certain movies, yet has the guts to call others "nationalist lunatics"