Are we still having a fight over the possibility of these guys returning in the IDW Sonic comic?

Are we still having a fight over the possibility of these guys returning in the IDW Sonic comic?

Does IDW has the rights of all OC's Archie created over the years? Not counting the ones made by Ken Penders, of course.

I'm pretty sure that they're all gone for good.

I personally hope they don't appear

I think they already confirmed they won't use any Archie OC's

Link?

It's pointless to fight about it, it's just up to Ian.

I, for one, hope they don't (outside maybe a cameo or a couple homage issues), so the IDW series feels more unique.

I want them to appear as their own characters, not a group, and in a minor capacity.

There's no reason to throw characters like Bunnie and Antoine away when they're just going to reach for bottom of the barrel nothing characters from the other cartoons and games eventually. Sure as fuck won't be doing it this year, though. They wanna make the comic feel different first.

Who's we?

Anyway, its up to Sega if the Archie cast (post Penders, pre-reboot) can ever come back. Smart money is "probably not".

I think we can safely say that the SatAM cast are permanently retired.

So season 3 is dead right?

bunny rabbot lookin good

Not really.
They're gonna dig back into the obscure character well eventually.

Of Boom? Oh yeah. Writers moved on, studio is doing the Sly Cooper cartoon, its dead.

I already knew this, but it still hurt

IT's not a matter of IF but WHEN they show up, even if they are't part of a formal 'freedom fighting' group anymore. There is no other reason to keep the deliberate silence on if they'll show up when Ian has been happy to tell us about a ton of characters that cannot/will not show up.

And that's a good thing, I know that Sup Forums has become infested with contrarian shitters now, even though it used to love the Archie comics and the Freedom Fighters after the first time it was marathoned here. It's probably due to the soft and malleable brains of Sup Forums users who are easily susceptible to prolonged complaining about the Freedom Fighters from a few ultra autistic users.

At least for now we can be happy that from what we've learned so far is that the comic will have new original characters from the get go, and will be following Sonic Forces timeline. So Sonic Adventure fags can cry more about their forgotten relic of a game.

It's still up in the air. They'll probably get in eventually, but they will no doubt be in minor roles, which is what they've should've had after the Archie book rebooted.

>and will be following Sonic Forces timeline
Oh god, no. Not an "Adventure fag" but why having the comic follow one of the worst games in the series?

Because it's actually ripe for storytelling.

>Are we still having a fight
>Are we still
>Are we
>we
>WE

It got a lot of episodes and it finished before it turned bad. There are worse fates to be had.

How?

Unless they're the actual SatAM Freedom Fighters from before the reboot, I don't really care either way.

At this point, the fight is over whether to bring popcorn or ice cream.

When does the comic launch?

I hope they come back in some capacity
Or the Egg Bosses preferably

I find it incredibly unlikely that they wouldn't turn up at some point in the future. I don't think SEGA would care too much, Ian is too much of a fanboy, and IDW love calling back old stuff.

The Egg Bosses are fucking great

Fact of the matter is the Freedom Fighters don't have a place in contemporary Sonic stories. They've long had their roles replaced by Sega-made characters and attempting to rework them to fit in the aforementioned contemporary Sonic has never worked very well.

How much do they have to be reworked to be usable until they're not the characters you were asking for anymore?

>They've long had their roles replaced by Sega-made characters
Not they haven't, Sega characters are underused to the extreme, and it's because of SEGA's reluctance to change of their characters that we get comic only characters like the FF to begin with.
>attempting to rework them to fit in the aforementioned contemporary Sonic has never worked very well.
The FFs never changed. Bunnie was always the half robot, southern archetype, Sally was always the passionate leader, Rotor was always the excitable techy guy, and Antoine was always the cowardly french swordsman.

>Bunnie was always the half robot, southern archetype
What do you do with that?

>Sally was always the passionate leader
She has nothing to lead now

>Rotor was always the excitable techy guy
Tails

>Antoine was always the cowardly french swordsman.
who else fights with swords?

this cracka know what's up.

I may have misunderstood where this post was going, but my intention was to say that the FFs don't have to change to fit into some kind of Sega narrative.

Ian deconfirmed the use of his Archie post-reboot OCs in IDW. If they're actually trying to be different from Archie, then I doubt the concept returns.

>forces
>one of the worst games in the series?
i have a hard time believing this when we live in a world where sonic 06 exists

>even though it used to love the Archie comics and the Freedom Fighters
speak for yourself.

i always hated most of the side characters in sonic because the majority of them were unnecessary, redundant and ultimately turned sonic into a guest star in his own franchise.

>unnecessary, redundant
I get the feeling the people who call the side characters this don't really follow Sonic much apart from things like Generations, Mania, and the like. Side characters add color to the world, which would be dull as shit if it were Sonic, preferred follower/helper characters #1 and #2 and Eggman every issue/game.

>Implying it’s even a question whether old comic characters are going to be brought back when the comic is going to be written by Ian “Why can’t i hold all these OCs” Flynn

I would be fine with every body but Sally coming back, Fuck Sally. Antoine and Bunny are great though.

>hurr durr they can do the same thing they're LITERALLY the same!

Wow lets get rid of Shadow he's such a Sonic clone, who needs two fast hedgehogs!

Personality wise Tails and Rotor are miles apart, and in terms of what they invent Rotor is to Tails as Tails is to Eggman. Rotor is best described as a battle mechanic. He invents guns and heavy weapons. Tails is more of a vehicle tinkerer or a robot maker.

>She has nothing to lead now
Even IF the Freedom Fighters as a group don't exist, which isn't confirmed because they could still exist even without Sonic. It would take two seconds to make Sally the leader of something. This is Sonic Forces continuation, of course someone like Sally would take a role in making the resistance.

>who else fights with swords?
So at first you're complaining that Rotor is 'too similar' because they're both tech heads, now Antoine is a problem because he's the only one who fights with a sword?? Fuck off, you just hate the Freedom Fighters because you're a stupid game purist

>What do you do with that?
The same thing you do with the stoic ninja and the loudmouth private investigator: use them as supporting roles in some stories and occasionally give them a shot at the spotlight.

There's no other character in the franchise quite like Bunnie, so there's no good argument in refusing to use her should a writer decide she's worth using in a story.

Keep your FF I only want the rabbit

>there's no good argument in refusing to use her
"Roboticisation doesn't exist".

>Bigdad
Shit taste.

For her robust character, right?

Cyborg. Character fixed.

One of they said not THE worst.

yes robust character yes that is it.

Yeah.
Her ro-bust.

>Side characters add color to the world, which would be dull as shit if it were Sonic, preferred follower/helper characters #1 and #2 and Eggman every issue/game.
the problem with this argument is that everytime they tried to make new side characters and/or shoehorn them in as a gameplay style/mechanic it usually sucks.

it's basically quantity over quality.

forces is bad but it's nowhere near one of the worst. the worst sonic games are borderline unplayable.

Rise of Lyric would be the worst I would assume. 06 you have mentioned. But what are some others?

>studio is doing the Sly Cooper cartoon

Source on this

while i haven't played them i heard the storybook games (particularly secret rings) would qualify due to the motion controls not working.

anyone watching sonic SatAM on twitch?

>He still thinks the Freedom Fighters are important to this franchise.
Guys, I know you are in your fucking late-30s or early-40s, you faggots need to get a grip on reality. They were never even part of this franchise in the first place and NEVER appeared in an official game. This is like asking for the characters from The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! to appear in anything Mario-related.

Get over it. Why does Sonic produce this kind of autism?

>This is like asking for the characters from The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! to appear in anything Mario-related.
IDW Turtles, Transformers, etc reach far deeper than that. Like, to the point where they'll make sequels to 1980's comics. The lead writer (and only so far) is the kind of guy who digs up a literal unfinished cameo fighting game character and makes her popular with the fan base.

I know you're just shitposting, but there's nothing autistic about pulling from minor points in the history of a franchise. If Ian's the kind of guy who's gonna dust off Wes Weasley and Breezie the Sex Doll, he's the kind of guy who's gonna bring these doofuses back eventually.

I hope not. Sonic needs this long-hanging on baggage to be cut away already. Nobody fucking cares about them.

I don't want Sally back but she is pretty popular.

>Roboticisation
is this even a thing in the games?

i think the closest thing I've seen to it was lost world

>I personally hope they don't appear
Why?

That's a game problem, not a character problem.

>he's the kind of guy who's gonna bring these doofuses back eventually.
You forgot the picture

I know the Archie Sonic characters are, but what about the characterization of the Sega Sonic characters? I loved Bark and Bean. I don't want to see them changing too much.

>Nobody fucking cares about them.
During that QA they held last year when they announced the new comics they got a good amount of people asking about the FFs.
Oh but I forgot, you don't want them and you count as every person on Earth so I guess you're right faggot.

>implying amy, the chaotix, big, shadow, rouge, omega, cream, blaze, silver and the faggots from the fighters and riders are good characters

But they are.

I hope not. Not a one of them was worth a damn. The games themselves have provided enough characters to fill out a cast and the Freedom Fighter concept was stupid

There are two camps for sonic fans. Those that enjoyed the game play from his 2D titles (and sometimes 1 or 2 of the 3D ones) and those that give a damn about his lore.

They dont like eachother much in most cases because were getting two completely different things out of one character. Not to mention the game fans of sonic where pretty much dead until mania.

Its kind of weird because their are autists who are trying to own or say what the character is. Is he for classic style gaming (yes). Is he for weird furry lore and mediocre 3D outings (yea, he’s done it for 15+ years that audiance was earned).

All that being said, if your like me and you like good sonic games and their 2D characterizations and honestly cant stand hearing them talk, then just leave these lore fans be, they love a different sonic.

Personally I'd like that we don't get the FFs at first but later on we are introduced to them one by one.

In all the Sonic iterations where the FFs exist, it already starts with them being friends of Sonic. Having them be introduced one by one would actually be a interesting take, specially if they are not exactly the same.

It easily opens up OCs and a semi serious setting without being mired in the previous continuity

>semi-serious

Shut up.

Can we have a single thread that you don't shove your shit opinions into? Fuck off Boco.

>When your opinions are so bad that Boco’s telling YOU to shut up.

That’s only providing reason for not using the previous conintuity, not justifying the use of Forces.

I could not begin to give less of a shit, I was just objectively answering an overlooked question

That's not "eventually." That's ASAP.

Somebody fucking post Amy to get this shit-eater out of here.

Much better characters than the Freedom Fighters

Semi-serious is good for Sonic you dumb motherfucker. Good if you want to make an ongoing comic over #300 issues and two decades that is. Archie Sonic would have died before Issue #50 if they hadn't taken it in a more serious plot orientated direction.

I don't care what you think about the quality, an ongoing plot hooks readers into sticking to find out what happens next - that's why soap operas are so addictive. That's what kept it popular when Sonic was having a lull in game releases or down-tick in popularity, that's what retained readers when they grew up from young children outside of Sonic's core demographic in the 90s (when this sort of fare was thought of as strictly a children's thing).

That's not to say you can't make good episodic comics/cartoons, but they have lifespans. Eventually they have to evolve or die, otherwise you end up with fucking Garfield.

SEETHING

Are you pissed off that the Freedom Fighters are more rounded, better characters than they'll ever be.

Same arguments as usual.
>THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS CAN DEVELOP AND SHOW EMOTION
The Freedom Fighters are redundant when we have the game characters to use, and development isn't necessary, just keep writing interesting stories and yes, you CAN write good stories without touching or expanding on characters.
>YOU CAN'T HAVE A LONG COMIC IF YOU DON'T DEVELOP YOU CHARACTERS AND ADD A PLOT
This is the problem I have with you lot. A ongoing plot is fine, but in the case of Archie, it shows how messy and convoluted things can get. You also fail to realize things in the 90's are not the same as they are now. You don't have to aim for another 300 comics, and it's not realistic to do so.
>YOU NEED OC'S TO PUSH THE STORY
You don't, especially if there are game characters to use. Unfortunately we have OC's coming in, so this is a moot point. But the point is there are plenty of game characters to use, it's just a matter if SEGA will allow their use.

One of them is just an outdated French stereotype. One of them is just a southern stereotype. Sally is just a generic strong womyn. And Rotor is so boring he can't pass the plinkett test. Well rounded my hairy asshole.

MAH HEART IS BLEEDING!

>drunk sally
Why did someone draw a drunk Sally

>write interesting stories, just don't use character development, I'm sure we won't run out of plotlines using the same static characters
>the comic was still going strong as Archie's best selling title up until it got cancelled in 2016, but it's not realistic to think it could happen again, that was the 90's man
>only game OC's are OK, because characters from any other medium are bad since we have game characters?
You make some nonsense arguments.

I got a picture of a drunk Mrs. Brisby from The Secret of NIMH getting ready to slap her daughter. I'm not sure why it exists.

I reiterate, same tired ass arguments. Yes, you can create new stories and not develop the characters. Yes, things are different. Sonic's cast wasn't as big as it is now. You don't need to make too many OC's at this point. And didn't I say the third point was moot? But as expected from a comicfag who gets emotional when people suggest things outside MUH DEVELOPMENT AND MUH LORE.

>But as expected from a comicfag who gets emotional when people suggest things outside MUH DEVELOPMENT AND MUH LORE.
So...you actually don't like comics, but want to dictate to people who actually read comics how their comics should be?

Tangle exists, so too late for that argument.

Proving my point again. As a Sonic fan, I want the Sonic comic to have some resemblance to the Sonic games and not a mixmash of characters that don't even fit Sonic (Not the artstyle/designs, though that itself is a valid point). Why is a free-spirited hedgehog being tied down by an OC when the main girl of the series couldn't even do that?

Literally in the same post:
>Unfortunately we have OC's coming in, so this is a moot point.

Antoine and Bunnie moved past that over a decade ago, man. Bunnie's issue is she doesn't have enough character flaws and Antoine's is his utter lack of panel time post-le-wacky-surrender-man.

I'll give you Sally and Rotor, though.

The point you are missing is that the people who are actually buying the comics DO want these things.
>I want the Sonic comic to have some resemblance to the Sonic games and not a mixmash of characters that don't even fit Sonic
Like...the Sonic games? Just about every game we get a new universe and different characters we never see again. Unless you don't consider some games canon. If you are already picking and choosing which games you accept as Sonic, then why does it trigger your tism so much to have other optional characters?

Your entire argument is "NOT MUH SONIC".

I'm just reiterating, this whole argument is pointless now. Besides, an adaptation without its own peculiarities is pointless. I'd rather not imagine the Superman radio show without Jimmy and the Bill and Ted comic sticking strictly to the movie. These comics are shooting for being indefinite, and if the creators aren't allowed to mix other ideas into the pot it's gonna get dull fast.

>Why is a free-spirited hedgehog being tied down by an OC when the main girl of the series couldn't even do that?
He shouldn't be.
Don't see why that means some characters should be off limits.

>and if the creators aren't allowed to mix other ideas into the pot it's gonna get dull fast.
On the other hand, you avoid a Penders situation.

I don't have that mindset, I'm just saying if I see a Sonic comic, I expect to see the blue hedgehog being himself instead of crying about his squirrel friend marrying a monkey. I know some of you will unironically defend that plotline.

>Don't see why that means some characters should be off limits.
Exactly what I'm saying. The comic should use the game characters, but SEGA may not want to use them. You get it at least.

>You get it at least.
Apparently not, because I was saying it's fine to use old cartoon characters and make OCs.

I'd never defend anything Penders, and if reactions to the marathons are any indication, the comic' fans won't defend anything Penders.

So instead of "NOT MUH SONIC", your argument is any fan of the comic must love the Dark Ages shit, that every fan of the comic specifically recommends new readers skip? This argument doesn't hold water.

There is nothing that says they need to be together. Could easily introduce the characters as is who fight Eggman in X region that Sonic just happens to be traveling to.

Its highly doubtful at this point we're going to see the old FF dynamic like before.

Roboticization hasn't been a thing since Archie rebooted you mongoloid. They retconned Bunnie into being converted into a cyborg because of a crippling injury.

yes, oh yes.

tails sitting on a bench

>Let's replace drama with more drama
Call me when they'll start making OCs that strive to be stronger by any means.