How was Steven suppose to save everyone from Aquamarine and her bullshit wand other than turn himself in?

How was Steven suppose to save everyone from Aquamarine and her bullshit wand other than turn himself in?

I don't recall anyone arguing that point. But I do have a foggy memory at the best of times.

>Aquamarine and her bullshit wand
probably the single worst idea the SU crew has come up with, they basically completely invalidated the idea of the Crystal Gems being able to put up anything remotely resembling a real fight against Homeworld

He wasn't; they wanted to pander and show us Homeworld.

>Implying Steven won't find out that Rose Quartz was magically immune to Zero-Point energy

Kick the writers in the stomach until they stop making up such bullshit contrivances.

The part that made most people upset was when Steven went back to earth and Conny told Steven he was wrong for giving up. Then the bitch took his lion, the thing with his mom's stuff inside his mane and his only way to contact Lars.

1. The Crystal Gems never had a chance of fighting the Gem Empire. That's why they were so scared of being found out. The only reason they didn't get curbstomped the first time Peridot came to earth is because she only had one bodyguard for whatever reason.
2. Any complaint about a character being overly powerful should begin and end with Lapis. Realistically any war should just be a fight between Lapises.
3, The Gem Empire could just pelt earth with asteroids or use a Geoweapon and there is nothing the Crystal Gems could do.
4. Time Travel. Nuff said.

Were the Gems ever going to put up a strong fight against Homeworld? The Gems are essentially a force with less than a dozen fighters, at least two of whom are children and are fighting against a stronger military from a technologically superior imperial nation. The best the Gems can do is hope they don’t have to face Homeworld head on and can keep taking on individual soldiers and very small units, and pray to god the Diamonds feel more apathetic toward Earth.

This show's power creep is one of the worst I've ever seen. For all the talk of planning out the series I won't even be surprised if the writers basically come up with the OP shit on the fly and eventually write themselves into a corner with all of this.

Trick her into getting close and snatching her fucking wand, or really just manage to get it away from her or break it/bubbled and teleport it. separate her from her tech and Topaz is pretty easy to take down. this is, of course, going on the idea that the wand is tech, not a weapon.

>This show's power creep is one of the worst I've ever seen
If anything the characters have gotten weaker as the show goes on so I don't understand why you're talking about a power creep.

>Trick her into getting close
How?
>snatching her fucking wand
She was able to dodge Pearl's spear at point blank range so I don't see how Steven would be able to grab her wand.

I want this show to pull a Ben 10,000 or Dark Danny and gives us a badass adult Steven from the future who mastered his powers and became a galaxy level warrior god.

Quads confirm bad end future

>How?
Steven was literally inches away from it.
>She was able to dodge Pearl's spear at point blank range so I don't see how Steven would be able to grab her wand.
Eh, it's all just theory anyway if its a weapon the plan goes out the window, as she can just resummon it, stasis/time manipulation powers are rather hard to counter in any form of media.

I to this day don't get this.
Like I at least get why people are upset at connie for being upset at steven. But the Lion point never made sense. She didn't TAKE lion, lion went with her. Lion is a magical super powerful being who can do what he wants, and from what I could tell he was mad at steven too.

As for the first part, I think it would have totally worked for connie to feel hurt and betrayed by steven IF it had been less one sided.

Connie loves steven, and him choosing to be taken away from her, despite the circumstances, hurt her. But honestly I think she was MORE upset with how he acted when he came back. He was completely oblivious to why she was upset, and given that steven is literally a fucking empath, I have to side with her on this one. IMHO Steven should have fully understood why she was upset and trying to reassure her, while still standing firm that he believes what he did is right or that at the least he doesn't regret it.

When they finally come back together, it would be BOTH steven learning he need to do things on his own, AND connie learning that steven was in a very tough place and only did what he did because he felt the same way about losing her as she does about losing him.

>Steven was taken to Homeworld and barely came back alive
>"Fuck that I'm gonna make this about ME"

well I didn't mean on a large scale, what I'm complaining about is that it invalidates even on the individual scale the CG's being able to fight back

at this point the only way they can win that wouldn't be a complete asspull is if a new civil war erupts on Homeworld between the Diamonds and that would just be incredibly unsatisfying since it would have barely mattered if anyone on Earth had gotten involved in the first place

Y'all stupid

YOU'RE stupid.

>Steven makes an incredibly stupid decision that only succeeds because his plan winds up failing from step one, but still not without getting someone killed
>But itz okay guiz, Steven managed to survive by sheer luck, that validates everything!

>A canonically shy and socially awkward character doesn't know how to respond in a tense situation with someone she has complicated feelings for at the moment
Oh wow you got me boy connie sure is a bitch.

>We have been training for this exact moment
>We do everything together we are a team
>Actually fuck that bye I'm gonna go get myself killed by aliens on purpose good luck.

I'm not saying either steven or connie is definitively right, but connie's point of view is valid. Even if she thought what steven did was right it would still be incredibly painful for her.

... Why exactly is it so bullshit
We've seen similar tech in the past with Peridot, this is natural progression and isn't nearly as OP as some of the other stuff we've seen

>what I'm complaining about is that it invalidates even on the individual scale the CG's being able to fight back
The Crystal Gems were completely unable to beat Lapis or the Handship, so the idea that the CGs could fight their problems away has been invalidated for a long time.

Also Jasper by herself was able to defeat the Crystal Gems. Then she jobs to Garnet, then she leaves Pearl and Steven alone instead of attacking them, then she attacks out of the blue and jobs to Stevonnie. Malachite had to job like crazy for Alexandrite to have any hope of beating her.

Basically the Crystal Gems were always living on borrowed time and the only reason they haven't been wiped out yet is because Homeworld only sends 2 to 5 Gems to earth at a time and most of those Gems don't want to fight the Crystal Gems. The second Homeworld sends a platoon with the goal of killing the CG they're dead.

How long could Connie resist Steven's attempts to make her his queen?

what was aquamarine doing in the 5 seconds it took topaz to grab a weapon and close the gap?

>Why exactly is it so bullshit
It was able to hold Alexandrite and several other people at the same time. That scene you posted was plot fuckery, since there's apparently no reason she couldn't have aimed the holding ray at Topaz and everywhere around her.

its a very fast topaz *teleports in front of you*

BAD. WRITING.

It'll trap anyone it touches, but you just need to dodge the ray
Alexandrite wasn't in any position to dodge it and the Crystal Gems were mostly unfamiliar with it, unlike Topaz

He couldn't, they lost thoroughly, Steven was desperate to save his friends so he did the only thing he could at that moment, which makes Connie's cuntiness all the more unbearable and makes her look like a self centered, self important, narcissist.

>Realistically any war should just be a fight between Lapises
Powerlevel in SU is completely nonsensical, Garnet can destroy giant rocks with little to no effort but for some reason had problems destroying Steven's magical pumpkins

Well, other user's have written out their feelings in this thread pretty clearly, so I'll say I do understand why Connie was upset and I thought it was kind of a neat idea that isn't touched on very often. Usually cartoons are all for that heroic self-sacrifice schtick.
Given the context, however, it really did make Connie look like she was trying to make it about her. Lion leaving with Connie also made it look like Lion was only mad at Steven because Connie was, and I don't know if they address the fact that they didn't have a much better option than surrendering at the time.

Garnet didn't have any problems killing the Watermelon Stevens.

What prevented them from fusing, giving that a good old college try, and if that didn't work, then surrender? Steven gave up before even the fight started.

For fucks sake the Election episode DID say what the whole reason behind Connie's anger was.
Dewey gave up, even though it was the smart and right thing to do given how much he'd fucked up over the course of the series, however that still hurt Steven because he felt like Dewey wasn't giving them a chance to fix things.

They straight up show that what Steven was feeling then was the exact same way Connie felt when Stevie gave himself up to Aquamarine. Steven/Dewey's decision may have hurt Connie/Steven's feelings, but it was the only correct thing to do at the time.

Now where they fucked up was the execution of not having Connie be around during the election episode and thus have her and Steven's roles reversed.

So in short the Crewniverse are hacks.

Homeworld has a five thousand year head start time advance their technology, and in Peridot we saw what they gave one of their tech support gems. If anything, it's good writing that they didn't remain stagnant for five thousand years and practically takes any "just beat up the baddest guys" solutions off the table.

The situations aren't actually equitable. Dewey gave up because he knew that he really wasn't good at his job and pizza grandma seems unlikely to be worse.

Steven didn't just give up because Aquamarine had them out matched, he gave up because he's been operating under the delusional and suicidal ideas that Rose's actions to defend the Earth are bad because it hurt the feelings of people on Homeworld, and that if he pays for those crimes with his life, the Earth will be safe. The first one is wrong in NY opinion, but it's debatable, the second one is objectively incorrect because even if by some miracle YD would think rationally about the Earth and not want to destroy it, she'd just continue to develop it as a colony instead. Like after bursting Topaz, Steven didn't really try to fight due to how guilty he felt, and that's what Connie is primarily upset with, regardless of if they actually could have defeated Aquamarine or not, and I have no fucking idea why people see it as outrageous for Connie to feel that way.

Can this show just get canceled already so we can move on with our lives?

I get what this user is saying but I feel the problem lies with comment.

Writers with better direction or with Sugar actually doing her job could've found a way to have their cake and eat it too without consistently fumbling with the story. If Steven and Connie had fused and then gotten thrashed to the point of defusing then Steven's sacrifice would be totally digestible and also would've been a great way to state that 'Stevonnie isn't the answer to everything'. Or when Steven returned from homeworld Connie should've been reasonably upset but mature enough not to let Steven hang in limbo for weeks on end.

You can argue that Connie's feelings messed up her judgement and her social issues are what caused her to take so long to contact Steven but it brought the whole bomb down as a result since we were forced to watch Steven mope the entire time. Hell you could've done all that but instead of meeting at Kevin's party Steven just gets abducted again or goes on another quest to fill in some of the plot holes this show is riddled with, Connie misses her chance to fix things with Steven and would maybe learn a lesson that would help her grow as a character.

By having more imagination then you or the creators.
Her wand is easy as fuck to counter, especially if you are more then one person. Her wand can only ever stun one thing which means you use shot. As a superstrong alien that from time to time punches through rock it should be easy to grab a rock or to, crush it and fling the shrapnel. Or use the classical Through a boulder while jumping directly afterwards to stay behind it until it gets flung away and suddenly you are melee range.
If that situration seemed hopeless then you and the writers just need more imagination.

>Her wand can only ever stun one thing
See

Turn into his mother and fight

Oh you mean we should feel bad for Steven, who was inserting himself into things that shouldn't concern him in the least and then complaining the person the conflict revolves around makes the concious decision to withdraw diddn't involve the outside person as much as this outside person wanted?

they could just fix all the old gemships and make them go light speed directly to their fleet like in that movie.

what is even happening in the show right now? last I heard Lapis fucked off, so things have surely gotten better right

Lapis DID fuck off, but judging by some leaks that came out a while back it's likely that she'll be coming back almost immediately after, so her leaving means legit nothing other than showing us a point where Peridot stops being in a toxic relationship with her.

Butt-pounding.

It's another
>Writers want you to sympathise with a character when they are not making any logical sense
episode

>>A canonically shy and socially awkward character knows how to bitch and speak her mind when it's about her feelings, but once she reflect she was wrong, she fucking all of a sudden can't communicate.

what an innocent flower.

I don't watch SU. Why is she crying?

Whoa there user are you implying that true main character Connie may have marginally been in the wrong in this situation?

the gem race in the show are basically just literal sentient gems that project physical forms made of light or some shit. that tear is her gem

AH... I would never good sir, I am shocked and offended that you would suggest such a thing.

He saw a much stronger fusion alexandrite be played with like a toy so he said fuck it!

It's also plausible that he might've been aware that if homeworld found out that humans and hybrids could fuse they'd up earth on the shitlist. Seeing a gem fuse with what they consider a lower species might trigger a few gems.

Not to mention Garnet a stronger, Fasters, able to see the god damn future fusion, also got played like a fiddle.

Ok so here's my take on that.

First of all, Steven has no foresight. At all. He has no ability to logically make a connection with what's happening and what has happened and what will happen. In this case: Steven KNOWS why the gem world came to Earth. He knows what they wanted from Earth. They wanted its mineral resources and nothing more. Rose was an OBSTACLE to this. Not the goal. So then, why does Steven think that if there were no Rose, they would leave Earth alone? When Rose was the only thing obstructing their goals and plans for Earth? Does he really think that if the Homeworld thinks Rose is gone, Homeworld will leave Earth alone? Are you retarded Steven? Why do you think Rose fought Homeworld in the first place?

Secondly:
The comparison they made in the episode with The Election doesn't help the case with Connie acting like a shitkavic. In point of fact, it illustrates how much of a shitkavic she is being. So Steven puts a lot of effort into this campaign, yeah? But why does he assume Dewey put no effort into it either? So when Dewey concedes, Steven thinks he's the only one who cared? But besides that. Steven isn't exactly emotionally mature. Certainly not with that whole, "physical age is based on how he emotionally/mentally is" thing he's got goin on. Which means he's still not very mature. Yet with that said, he doens't act like a gibbering retard that can't explain how he feels. He calmly, politely expresses how he feels to Dewey, and quickly comes to understand that Dewey made the right decision. Unlike Connie.

Yet that's not all. Look Steven's options to fight at the time. Connie suggests fusing. Steven hesitates. Maybe it's because of the above stated stupidity. Maybe he's not sure. But for whatever reason, that's all that's required for Aquamarine to get the upperhand and put his friends in Jeopardy. At which point, fighting's out of the question, unless he wants to sacrifice them just to try and fight Aquamarine.

My apologies old bean I may have jumped the gun as they say.

Idk about that one, the power leveling in this show is wonky at best and Stevonnie wins all her battles with hardly any effort...or decent animation. Consider Garnet's fight with Jasper vs Stevonnie's fight with Jasper.

So Steven hesitates, all his friends are in Jeopardy. He has to surrender or risk them all dying.

But for whatever reason, Connie faults him for this? Did she want them to fight and sacrifice their friends? The innocent townspeople? The crystal gems?

Connie had no business being as fucking pissy as she was. Was she justified in being upset? Of COURSE she was. But to that extent? That's excessive, even if you are a shut in with zero social skills. Connie has been hanging out with Steven for some time. She should know better than to, as another user put it, make what happened to Steven about HER. It wasn't about her. Was that why she was upset? Because Steven sometimes does things that aren't her decision? Or completely about her?

Connie basically transferred her feelings of being upset that Steven was gone, and she might never see him again, and put the blame on STEVEN. Not terribly unheard of. But for that to be for so long before understanding her own feelings isn't a lack of maturity. Even a small child will come around and forget something after a while. This takes a dedicated effort to either nursing a grudge, or a specific emotional disorder.

During the start of the peridot redemption arc I thought Steven was becoming a more adept fighter and using his shield really well. Then they made him a pussy again.

the problem with the power creep is that it has no rules due to the slow as fuck tone of the show. The only constant villain the show ever had is jasper, and her weakness was fusion. So they beat her with fusion.
But everyone else has no consistency. Peridot appears to be super resistant but garnet poofed her shit out. Pearl can be badass one episode and a weakling in another. Amethyst...is only good to fight monsters, she cant fight an actual enemy.
I guess rubies are weak and the CGS can take them down, but someone like topaz only has the absorbing power as advantage, and even then you would think Earth warriors could defeat her. Like OP said, aquamarine is broken and could potentially defeat the diamonds if she turned rebel.
Speaking of the diamonds, we hear they are the strongest there is, but besides being big the only thing they have done is zap two zircons, who are weak lawyers not made for fighting.
The biggest sin is making the heroes weaklings. The CGS arent heroes, they are an unstable family who have weapons. The only ones who have potential of being good fighters are peridot and lapis. And lapis is a coward pussy and peridot hasnt controlled her powers yet.

>Secondly:
>The comparison they made in the episode with The Election doesn't help the case with Connie acting like a shitkavic. In point of fact, it illustrates how much of a shitkavic she is being. So Steven puts a lot of effort into this campaign, yeah? But why does he assume Dewey put no effort into it either? So when Dewey concedes, Steven thinks he's the only one who cared? But besides that. Steven isn't exactly emotionally mature. Certainly not with that whole, "physical age is based on how he emotionally/mentally is" thing he's got goin on. Which means he's still not very mature. Yet with that said, he doens't act like a gibbering retard that can't explain how he feels. He calmly, politely expresses how he feels to Dewey, and quickly comes to understand that Dewey made the right decision. Unlike Connie.
i dont know what that has to do with this thread

>This takes a dedicated effort to either nursing a grudge, or a specific emotional disorder.

This.

They could've completely saved that debacle if we had some small hints over time that Connie is developing a hero complex or something of that nature where she feels that she NEEDS to be part of whats going on. Her being a socially stunted and a shy character that doesn't do much besides what her parents tell her is a great place to start if during her friendship with Steven and training under Pearl developed a growing power fantasy that led to Connie acting the way she does because in her own head she was becoming the main characters she always read about in her stories. It'd be a viable character flaw that explains her flying off the handle and gung-ho need to start swinging the sword and getting upset when Steven leaves her out of a situation.

That was when Ian was in charge, and if you've seen KO you'd recognize that his main character shares a few traits with Steven.

Arguably the right play was to just play along and have the humans and Steven be taken to the Zoo (because where else would they go) and then just leave because the Amethysts are mostly on Steven's side.

True, Garnet looks god damn invincible in some episode and looks like shit in others, Stops lighting with her bare hands yet gets split by a Gemworld Taser.

>nope-nope-nope-i've-seen-enough-hentai.jpg

>Stops lighting with her bare hands yet gets split by a Gemworld Taser.

The Gemworld Taser is a destabilizer. The entire point of it is to destabilize a gem's hardlight body.

I genuinely forgot this character existed.

But she's the best

point still stand that when it comes to a Stevonnie like episode, Garnet becomes as worthless or is seemingly as worthless as Pearl and Amethyst.

They want Stevonnie to be MVP whenever viable so all the other gems have to job by comparison.

>the Election episode
Perhaps the most unrealistic episode of SU. A 80 year old foreign lady speaking about hopenchange doesn't have a shot of getting elected after 8 years of Obama.

Do you know what Power Creep means? Because the characters getting weaker is the opposite of power creep.

Dewey was to good for that town, taking all their shit to keep them happy.

The point is you're a retard who thinks just because a person is strong they can "power through" a taser.

Why did the show act like Dewey desperately needed to find a job? He's been mayor of the town for like twenty years, he should have plenty of money saved up.

It might have been a play at how men in power can't manage to exist unless they remain in power. Idk it was dumb

nothing really

the problem is he's plan for after getting caught made no sense and he only got away with luck

user it's been thousands of years since the war and home world has improved in that time

you might as well say Civil War soldier is a match for modern day soldier

this is not a fight the gems can win

>the problem is he's plan for after getting caught made no sense and he only got away with luck
His plan was to get executed.

>A weapon is overpowered because it immobilizes you if she hits you with it, and your only defense is dodging the beam
What is any weapon ever

He didn't have to tell them he was Rose Quartz. If they were just going to the Zoo then he could have gone with the other captives as "Mydad" and escaped like last time. The Amethysts and Betas would have helped too

so that earth would be safe

but that was never going to happen and there for makes no sense

A suicidal person is sometimes irrational..

>Its a:tla all over again where water gets all the super OP moves.
Lapis gem was cracked and she still was able to solo the crystal gems while also holding up a tower of all the earth water. Meanwhile. Amythest, a supposed gem meant for fighting, can even function correctly with hers cracked.
The Crystal Gems are shit, and Steven is probably gonna end up crying the diamomds out of killing them all.

he didn't Want to die, he thought it was the best way out of a horrible situation

which means he didn't think about it at all really

and it's hard to watch a stupid person do stupid things and know at the end things will work out

>escaped like last time
On what ship?
>Meanwhile. Amythest
1. she is malformed and disabled and the weakest crystal gem
2. brain damage or computer damage don't follow the same pattern. you can hit ten different computers and cause ten different problems.
>The Crystal Gems are shit, and Steven is probably gonna end up crying the diamomds out of killing them all.
No it will be revealed that White Diamond killed Pink and then Yellow and Blue will team up with the Crystal Gems to take her down. Then after the end of the fight the Diamonds will let the Crystal Gems have Earth.

>he didn't Want to die
Yes he did.

With a gun.

not like him bringing connie along would have made things any better. he was protecting her, because she probably would have died if she went, and there's no need for both of them to die. They only wanted steven. steven was in the right for protecting her over himself.

still waiting for "Cubic Zirconium"

This is what I thought he was going to do. Once he's up on the ship next to her, put a bubble around both of you. I doubt her wand works through a bubble. Then you can take her down in close quarters, and even if she gets you with the wand, I don't think that would cause the bubble to lower. But this strategy does assume Steven would be able to outright attack someone for logical reasons, which is unlikely. I can forgive that, but the Gems' performance at the amusement park was shameful.

Honestly, they need to start taking their situation seriously, and begin actively training and studying tactics.

But user if Steven was in the right then that means Connie was upset for no reason and THAT would mean the last bomb was pointless.

>bringing connie along
Who said anything about that? Connie wanted them to stay and fight, not go to Homeworld with him.

He understands

>The show about feelings suddenly follows logic and truth
kek
anyway
Why bother dragging a girl into a world of danger and promising that you're in it together if you're going to leave her behind when things happen?
Steven is in the wrong, not for leaving Connie behind but for even involving himself with her once he realized dangerous stuff happened
He basically had this big moment after he crashlanded in S1 where he couldn't decide if he should talk to Connie and decided it's better to put her (and her family) in harms way because he likes hanging out with her

>Arguably the right play was to just play along and have the humans and Steven be taken to the Zoo (because where else would they go)
It was clear that since they learned of them through steven, they would be held hostage as collateral against the crystal gems. Remember that the reason they learned of them was because steven ran his mouth to peridot, who reported it to the diamonds. There's no reason why they would need more humans for the zoo. They might hold them there, until they need to either make an exchange or execute them.