Was he good? Or was he evil?

Was he good? Or was he evil?

He's a journalist.

Neither. Just honest.

>Worse
>He's smart

>Not John Constantine turns into Not Spider Jerusalem
The fuck even is Planetary?

It was meant as commentary on comic culture. Specifically the rise of the Brit authors and Vertigo comics which brought us stuff like Hellblazer.
Killing off not-Constantine in the comic and the funeral is literally supposed to be the funeral of that era. not-spider is implied to be the successor and start of a different shortlived era.

If that sounds like pretentious fedora-tipping to you it's because it is.

That's why I hate meta comics

So I assumed the comic was better BEFORE the meta stuff came into play?

He was terribly badly written in the ending seriously what the fuck

I honestly think Ellis ran out of things he wanted to say with the character and just forced himself to finish it.

Transmet was at its best when it was actually focused on a man doing journalism about the crazy state of this crazy future world. Those issues were great.

When it tried to have a story it was indulgent and unimpressive.

Everything about Planetary is commentary on culture.Pulp comics, silver age, golden age. the first Issue have not-Shadow and not-DocSavage fight the not-JLA

Just Ellis things.

Its Warren Ellis
At least he fucking finished it...

A self-righteous asshole who looks good only because the world he lives in is so nightmarish and cartoonish

Wait do you mean Lazarus Churchyard, John Constantine, Desolation Jones, Spider Jerusalem or Jenny Sparks?

He ran out of things to rip from the life of Hunter S. Thompson.

He's no angel, he's killed his fair share of people, presumably most in self-defence but not all.

>who looks good

Jesus Christ, user, it's stablished right on the first issue that Spider is a piece of shit. The amount of shit he is directly or indirectly responsible during the entire run is enormous, and the ending is literally him pulling a long con on everyone including the few people that truly care about him.

Spider is portrayed as an amusing character, but by no means a benign one, and to equate both is to engage upon such a simplistic level of thinking that even reading a comic book may be beyond the means of those who do so.

Trevor Belmont

And to counterbalance that they give him cartoonishly monstrous foes to face off against(the Beast, the democrat guy, the cult guy, etc) to make him come across more like a grumpy lovable uncle and less like an abject piece of shit.
Plus the whole "journalism can save the world" angle rubs me the wrong way.
Honestly in this type of dystopian future setting I much more enjoy the short stories about the little people, like that chick that got defrozen and her struggles to adapt to the new world.

>Plus the whole "journalism can save the world" angle rubs me the wrong way.
To be fair he meant actual journalism.Digging for facts and presenting them, not the blogposting, fearmongering and clickbaiting that's called journalism these days.

Not that user, but Journalism can´t do shit. I doesn´t matter what you find, propaganda and mass media, will make it irrelevant. No amount of secrets can beat having a media comglomerate at your side.Information is worthless, it´s all about distribution.

We get the world we deserve. People report on important issues and expose stuff, majority doesn't listen, then wonder why there is so much wrong with the world. We live in post-truth anyway, where whatever somebody agrees with becomes the truth they believe.

Now that I'm an adult I don't really blame people for apathy anymore, you have so much shit on your plate and so little time for yourself and if you use that time to try to get informed about politics all you end up doing is feeling powerless and butthurt.
And that's just me being a middle-manager, trying to make the payments on my house, walking my dog and going to the gym. Imagine people with real responsibilities.

Constantine was warren ellis' catharsis for dealing with british politics, he moved past that, transmet was his catharsis for dealing with american politics

Again, because the content itself is irrelevant, and maybe it always was. The key is the distribution, just like comics.
You bombard people from all front with what you want them to belive, and not only they believe, they take your opinion as their own. After that, it´s done: They won´t believe anything that contradicts their worldview, and will cling to any evidence, no matter how weak.
Unless the economy fails. Then no ammount of bullshit can save you.

Mostly true but I think that issue all about religion was pretty weak.

Those frozen people are called transients

I think the religion issue is pretty great, it's not the typical edgy middle school atheism that someone like Jason Aaron spouts. Spider is playing the role of Jesus in Cleansing of the Temple where Jesus went around whipping merchants and smashing tables

He has a sense of morality which he feels strongly about, which is focused more on being angry at society's perceived flaws and derogatory towards those around him than it is on his own behavior.

The transients were the people who had their genes spliced with aliens, actually.

Really (as far as I can recall) thats the only issue where it beats you over the head with it. Its a constant element in the series but the other issues deal with it far more subtly and therefore far better.

>Just honest.

...fucking seriously?
That's your impression?
He was a massive fucking hypocrite guilty of practically everything he criticized everyone else about.
He appears "cool" to 13 year olds who don't actually notice the disconnect between what he says, and what he does.