Gunnerkrigg Court

Chapter 66: Page 8
>Coyote really should not be doing that.
gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1944

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/imaajfpstnfo/status/959314390133559297
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Destroy it

what is coyote's plan here
this ghost has killed death gods

Hate to be posting this at the start of a thread, but wanted to do it before I go to sleep.
NSFW:
twitter.com/imaajfpstnfo/status/959314390133559297

This is Coyote messing with Ysengrin's memories again. He's not in danger, and is putting his finishing touches on his mind meld. Then once he hears his kill code, he will head across the lake and rip and tear.

It's almost as though Coyote is planning some kind of... trick?

we know now what his plan was.

I hate Coyote.
He's such a small fry god, but he's so arrogant.
I wish higher gods would show up in this comic.

I wish Death would show up and flirt with Kat.
It would even make a ton of sense.
Maybe death would have to appoint a new psychopomp for the robots, or check out why there is a foreign energy entering the ether.
Then she sees that Kat is a newly formed god and shows her the ropes.
That would be a fun chapter FOR ONCE, TOM.

Wait...
I thought the memory was of Ysengrin from long ago, since he isn't using his wooden body

Is Coyote just walking around in Ysengrin's memories now?

That's pretty weird

I think he's just crossing the river.
What's Jeanne gonna do to him?

I think it's a bit "less is more" here.

Since we only have one god, we rely on him to get an understanding of how the world in GKC works, and since he's known to be a trickster, but not a liar that's tedious and keeps the mystery.

But if some more open god were to show up, say Odin (he's been nearly mentioned) he would be just as capable of answering questions as Coyote is, but probably more willing

And of course, Coyote being a cartoony animal makes it easier to work with than a human

Oh wait, I'm an idiot, didn't read the last panel.

I just want my KatxDeath fanfiction to come true!

i didn't need to see that

oh hey, she looks.. familiar, somehow...

>Hate to be posting this at the start of a thread,
And yet you do

I'll not touch the link but I will give it a (You) anyway.

Thanks, I liked it.

Shut the fuck up Imaa

It's not even extreme!

I don't understand this chapter. Spoonfeed me please. Coyote manipulates him but why?

We don't know yet, it's probably gonna be revealed or at least we'll get a step closer to revealing it this chapter, but likely most of it is just to fuck with him for kicks.

Thank you.

Is shit FINALLY happening?

Pfft, no?

Imagine you're plaing the Sims. And you've been playing the Sims for billios of years. And that's all there is, that's all reality, there's nothing outside the Sims.
All things considered Coyote is behaving rather sanely. And that's why he's a God.

Ooooh boy I don't like where this is going.

For once in your life, boner, NO.

Why not?

I wonder what Zimmy is up to.

I wouldn't think of a main trickster figure as small fry
He can easily bend reality whereas most gods that I assume you'd think of as higher like Odin or Zeus couldn't pull the moon from the sky nearly as easily as Coyote did for a fun trick
I mean, thousands of various tribes across the whole of north america told stories of the wily coyote
Compare and contrast that to Reynard who is also a trickster figure in france, the difference in their abilities is vast

Sure, but as is established in the comic, albeit by a trickster, gods get their power from human belief.
Who the fuck believes in some dinky ass coyote from navajo stories?
Any low class spirit should be able to kick his ass.
More "people" probably believe in Kat already at this point.

I think it's the same principle as making Odin/Thor incredibly powerful gods in fiction. How many people still seriously worship/pray to them now?

>Who the fuck believes in some dinky ass coyote from navajo stories?
Enough people for him to still do a bunch of crazy shit. You're ignoring just how many people lived in North America and told the stories of Coyote and stuff and for how long
I don't think it's just based on belief, but the stories themselves.
Coyote demonstrated his ability to Annie because in one of his stories he replaced the moon with his eye
Zeus and Odin can do a lot of cool shit, but in most of their stories, they act like regular humans with super powers, not reality benders who fuck with shit.

MORE THAN TO JUST A LITERAL COYOTE FROM SOME DRUG STORIES!

He's not just a literal coyote
He's a trickster spirit that helped create the universe
that outranks several "higher gods"

calm down, it's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about

I'd suggest reading some Coyote stories - they're a lot of fun!

This is a great point, of course, but the way gods act and their actual powers are very different things.
Odin rules the Nordic Patheon, he is the most powerful being in their worldview (probably, don't know much about nordic mythology, maybe he's weaker than an equivalent to the greek titans or whatever, but you get my point).
The most powerful being in the universe in nordic mythology would be equivalent in strength to the most powerful being in the Native American stories IF the same number of people believed in them.
I have no idea if Coyote is the most powerful being in this dead worldview, but I can tell you for CERTAIN, more people believe in stupid shit like Cthulhu or whatever.
If we assume Coyote is the most powerful god and if we assume that every Native American fuels his powers, that's like 5 mil people.
It's difficult to find how many books Lovecraft sold, but let's just compare it to Stephen King for a very rough estimate. He sold about 300 million books.
Cthulhu or other Lovecraftian gods would be about 60 times as powerful as Coyote in this universe (under extremely generous estimates).

Who and what should I draw next?

No, Zimmy isn't here yet.

Who?

That's also a fair argument
But it relies on the notion that knowing the story = believing the story
Do beings get more powerful based on notoriety or belief?

Belief, of course, but it's impossible to get the numbers for that, obviously.

The minotaur, I think.

Lewd.

I dunno about Cthulu being more powerful
If we take everyone who has ever existed into account (because if we didn't, coyote wouldn't be powerful now and that's probably how the ether works anyway), I'd say that he'd still probably be more powerful than Cthulu
I mean, from what I know, a ship crashing into him was enough to stun him long enough for him to get trapped in R'lyeh. And admittedly I don't know enough about lovecraft media to know enough to have a solid argument.
Coyote has held entire galaxies in his paw (technically)
I don't know much about elder gods, but I'd say Coyote trumps Cthulu

You know who is way more powerful than Coyote?
Death.
I want to see Kat and Death date.

>I wish Death would show up and flirt with Kat.
And she wouldn't understand why everyone freaks out and calls his new friend an abomination just because he likes to wear some lame black cloak.

Not the reaper, I mean Death.
This gal.

>I wish Death would show up and flirt with Kat.
And she wouldn't understand why everyone freaks out and calls her cute new girlfriend an abomination.

Better?

Yes.

It could be a funny side comic where Dream tries to guess why his sister is pretending to date some weird machine thing.

Even for the Endless it should be a rather rare occasion to witness the ascension of a human to a god, right?
How many times has it happened on gunnerkrigg earth?
You got your Buddha and co., Hercules, Jesus kinda, Pharaos, kinda sorta maybe? That's p much it, right?

Chuck Norris, any and all Emperors and Kings who have right, and OPM

*divine right

okay, the first is just a really old meme, the second is a clear no, because I was KIND OF allowing Pharaohs and Jesus, since they are incarnations of gods, but most Kings were not handled that way. Maybe one or two, but it was extremely unusual.
OPM is a fictional manga in gunnerkrigg-verse as much as it is in ours (unless that stands for something else).

Okay, but I included OPM because people actually started doing the OPM routine of 100 Push-Ups, 100 Sit-Ups, 100 Squats, 10km running thinking it would help them get jacked

I see...
I was specifically talking about humans becoming gods, though.
Fictional characters becoming gods isn't rare.
Kat - in her universe - is one of only a handful of people who - in her universe - ascended to godhood.
I only included Hercules because it has been established that the Minotaur is real, thereby giving historical credence to the entire greek mythology.

Hercules was a demi-god, so does he count as human?

salsa?

It's death

Does Annie count as human? Iunno.

I'm pretty sure she's a human who descended from fire spirits
So if not 100%, close, like 99%

Because of the special way her spirit passes on she's still 50/50.

I assumed the way it worked was that the first child of a human and a fire spirit was 50/50, but every time they have a child the genetics go 75/25, then 87.5/12.5, so on and so forth
And the spirit thing was a different thing and just a thing that fire spirits did, the more you spread out the faster you die out
Because it's not as if Surma couldn't have had another kid or that she couldn't be cloned or anything like that, right?

Yeah I got that, but where is she from?

The fire spirit is the same thing from whenever the fuck long ago. She's still pure fire elemental mixed with pure human, 50/50. What you described is how it normally works.
Annie is distinctly different.

Neil Gaiman's sexual fantasies.

would've been better if he had a knot.

There are several knots.

doesn't quite look like it. Just awkward cones.

There's a tree knot on one of the knots to sorta kinda connect the two.