APOPKA...

>APOPKA, FL—Local man Jeremy Land reportedly voiced his preference Thursday for comic books that don’t insert politics into stories about people forced to undergo body- and mind-altering experiments that transform them into government agents of war. “I’m tired of simply trying to enjoy escapist stories in which people are tortured and experimented upon at black sites run by authoritarian governments, only to have the creators cram political messages down my throat,” said Land, 31, who added that Marvel’s recent additions of female, LGBTQ, and racially diverse characters to long-running story arcs about tyrannical regimes turning social outsiders into powerful killing machines felt like PC propaganda run amok. “Look, I get that politics is some people’s thing, but I just want to read good stories about people whose position outside society makes them easy prey for tests run by amoral government scientists—without a heavy-handed allegory for the Tuskegee Study thrown in. Why can’t comics be like they used to and just present worlds where superheroes and villains, who were clearly avatars for the values of capitalism, communism, or fascism, battle each other in narratives that explicitly mirrored the complex geopolitical dynamics of the Cold War?” At press time, Land was posting on a subreddit that he wished comics didn’t force him to identify with gay or black superheroes when all he wanted was stories about oppressive governments rounding up mutants whose only crime was to be born different.

Is this an onion article? this shit isn’t funny

Whoever wrote it was probably masturbating furiously the whole while.

what an islamophobe

Is this individual of any importance to the comic industry whatsoever?

We literally had this thread already just a couple of hours ago.

no but when it's MY political preference it's not politics, it's basic human morality

When did The Onion go Cracked?

The moment you deiced it's only funny when it lines up with your personal views.

The onion has always been cracked.

the absolute STATE of Sup Forums

There’s no joke here just asspain

I do believe he is being hypocritical.

There is a joke it's just on you.

>Last thread got nuked
>"I think i'll try that again!"
Enjoy your vacation, OP.

Is this their revenge on Marvel cancelling their "diversity" comics?

OH LOOK IT'S THIS THREAD AGAIN

BETTER REPOST IT A BILLION GODDAMB TIMES

LOL Sup Forums IS TOTALLY NOT REDDIT

Jesus. Why is this thread so verboten on Sup Forums?

We can't have Dobson threads, Sinfest threads, now this thread?

Like it or not, it's The Onion wanting to start a fight against Sup Forums.

That's an onion article.
Their opinion is: Everything is political so stop crying about it. You just want your own circle jerk stories. Also comics always had polical themes so what's the big deal.

They totally miss the point and strawman hard. It looks like they only read news articles about that topic and jump to conclusions.

>FL
God damnit

has there been a lot of articles like this? are they doing that thing when they all say the same thing at the same time?

>I'm the mods boy toy.

Let's see how many times have people fallen for this today? Sup Forums was once the trolls, but has become the easily triggered trolled, well played cosmic forces. I hate you fucking kids! You're the most gullible fucking morons and there's no bait you won't bite. I guess it's fucking hilarious that this place is wall to wall humorless idiots now though. Ooooh muh scary SJW boogeyman.

Who did fall for this? Nobody.
This article is shit and didn't matter that it's satire. The message is bs.

Wait is this a parody as well or not? I'm so confused.

This one is serious.

It's really not, whether it was punching Nazis or "Say No to Drugs!" capeshit comics have been the most fucking obviously and loudly political medium in history. It's been obnoxious soapboxes for about a goddamn century now you retarded nigger faggots. You only don't know this because you are stupid.

>You only don't know this because you don't read comics

ftfy

Yeah, and remember when people in the comic industry weren't exactly that proud of it? Especially the "Slap a Jap" comics.

>I guess it's fucking hilarious that this place is wall to wall humorless idiots now though.
Irony much, buttercup?

>They totally miss the point and strawman hard.

What point it is that they're missing?

Pointing at the worst comic in history and saying that's ALL what comics every was or will be is bullshit. There are tons of good ones. Even political ones aren't always hamfisted.

Its not about the quality of the comic. Its the fact that getting mad about politics in modern comics is patently absurd because comics have always been brined in politics. You can't be an X-Men fan and at the same time get mad about books starring minorities, its ridiculous.

>People who complain about politics in comics just don't get how political their own comics are.

>The racism theme in old xmen is exactly the same as the diecis scum comics of new marvel.

What have been the most popular superhero comics at various points of time to the present?

I also find reactions to posts like the one I made entertaining and funny.

There are good ones but preachy shit is hardly some new thing. Same with people complaining that something that agrees with their views is not political while anything that they see as disagreeing somehow is even if they're just imagining the message. Personally I find things that are preachy and agree with whatever my opinion is at the time obnoxious. But in here it's like reading tea leaves as people read political messages into innocuous goofy shit like paranoid schizophrenics. There's no difference between Sup Forums and tumblr anymore.

since when did the Onion become a gawker sub-blog

>You can't be an X-Men fan and at the same time get mad about books starring minorities, its ridiculous.

Nobody does that.

Pic related is the same as old x-men.
No difference. You have to like both or you are a hypocrite

America Chavez was basically an exemplary case of cultural appropriation in action and the X-men have been glorifying racial militas of segregationist communities engaging in racially motivated terrorism for decades now.

It's WASPs all the way down.

But no one fell for it. The only post in this thread of either people unironically supporting the sentiment, people arguing with people unironically supporting the sentiment, and people complaining about OP posting this. Literally no one in this thread has even applied the article was more than a joke.

Replace all instances of Video Games With Comics

Are you being intentionally obtuse?, nobody is defending current marvel or saying you can't dislike a comic because it has politics,
but that getting mad at a comic simply but it has politics in it is silly.

So I guess the best way of talking about this is: Politics in comics isn't new or alien, but today's comics have shitty politics and messages.

Its more like "I used to agree with the politics but now I don't"

So what does this mean? Are WE the villains then? Does that mean we have to accept their horseshit or face the wrath of their justice?

More like the same shit comes in waves. It was never good and "howaboutism" doesn't make current comics better.

The article deflects all critisism with that's how comics are.

But you're intentionally misinterpreting complaints to create a scenario that is blatantly not the case. The fact is many current comics insert political messages so far outstretched from the actual story of the comic that it is far beyond an attempt to portray reality and instead becomes the leftist equivalent of a Ben Garrison comic strip except dragged out for 30 pages and over several chapters, and several series. There is a very clear difference between a WW2 soldier getting super powers and fighting Hitler, and the King of Asgard, an entirely different realm who'd likely not know or have any reason to care about the affairs of people on earth screaming about his opinions on Israel. Or Chavez having the most unnatural dialogue possible for no other reason than to awkwardly mention menstruation.

The lack of tact/subtlety, or basic understanding of narrative structure and generally poor dialogue or even an understanding of their audience is a problem and people are only ignoring it because they agree with the politics.

This is not even to mention how many comics were and are almost completely apolitical, and pretending that many if not all of these stories can't be told without divisive political undertones is lazy and dishonest.

They were bought out during the election

>State i'm not defending marvel
>Counterargument consists in a bunch of specific complains against current marvel
Jesus fucking Christ, the issue with all examples is not the presence of politics but simply shit writing, like do you actually believe that if you removed the politics from America it would stop being a shit comic?, or would you have been happier if the asgardian god stared talking about pop culture instead of politics?

During the 2016 election.

>if you removed the politics from America it would stop being a shit comic?

If you do that, it'd be just America being a shit person for no good reason instead of being a shit person with "supposedly" good reasons.

at this point the onion does things like shitty forum comparisons instead of satire. not everyone reads comics involving SHIELD or X-men. A ton of the complaints are about webcomics. The author got paid for a crudely thought-out internet comment.

What are these fuckers gonna do when whitey actually likes and identifies with Tchalla because of his values and personality traits?
Trick question they'll call that cultural appropiation, whitey can never win

>If you do that, it'd be just America being a shit person for no good reason instead of being a shit person with "supposedly" good reasons.
Not really, since she would still be the hero and a Mary sue, and the author still a moron.

Basically, remove the politics, and all of America's worse traits are amplified because there's now just a spoiled child being dangerous without any motivation.

I think it's pretty funny. All the best Marvel and DC comics are political and, admittedly, from the 80s.

It'll either be cultural appropriation or fetishization.

They don't want white people to like things that aren't about white people cause that hurts their narrative, so they've got a list of things they can use to discredit any instance of it as something that proves whites are racist.

Oh that will still be there no doubt, but without the politics, there's even LESS reason why we should like America.

Holy shit

The hateful hamhanded rethoric we used to read from Striker and the Puryfiers is now being spewed by female/minority heroes against white kids.
We never agreed with the politics, but you support them now because they hurt somebody who isn't you and you are a terrible person.

>assblasted

And they say the left can't do effective satire.

Hell I say that. I'm genuinely impressed.

No that one is real.

Source?

this article is written about the very same white men who grew up watching family matters, fresh prince, friday/rush hour movies, etc. listening to pac, biggie, wutang clan, reading comics and watching cartoons that are both chock full of diversity... get a fucking clue

>If you do that, it'd be just America being a shit person for no good reason

This, just like Whor beating a woman who had dropped her weapon and surrendered, is absolutely par the course for the genre though.

>good guy comic writer tries something revolutionary new: a comic with black characters and even women.
>reactionary misogynerd: Not on my watch. I will post on reddit to stop this.
>This is the reason these comics fail. It's because women hating racists dominate the industry

That's what journalists actually believe.

It got bought out by Univision Communications.

>Literal decades of blacksploitation movies and major films made by big name black directors like Spike Lee
>Treat a fucking Black Panther movie as the pinnacle of black movie history

So basically journalism is filled with people like Dobson.

Not all of them. My conspriracy theory is that they are just cynical and do it for the clicks and don't actually care.

>Journalism
It's the onion you stupid humorless fucks.

>Apopka, FL
This is only time I've seen an article about the place where I live and it's not even real. The funniest thing is that Apopka doesn't have a comic book shop and is mostly the Florida equivalent of the projects.

We know that. They are parroting kotaku "truths". It's not like they made a radom joke that has no message.

>When Capeshitfags only defense is that their genre has always been politicized drivel
Kek. Keep pretended like you’re somehow superior to normies and outragefags for having always swallowed this drivel.

Found the guy from the article.

>we know that
Do you? Because it seems like you don't.

Captain America, The X-men, Superman, Wonder woman, Green arrow, the fantastic four, are all political.

For the 1000th time that's not the point.
People who complain about politics in comics mean something specific and not any political theme.

Amazing how The Onion still keeps delivering after all these years.

Yes, we know, those people are complete and absolute pussies.

I guess the Huffpo needs more soy boys who suck up their narrative.

How is that not the point? Your superhero comic have always been political and now we got people complaining about comics being politicized.

I've come to the conclusion that "articles" like this are written by the same couple dozen or so freelancers writing under pseudonym and getting hired by word of mouth from each other, while the actual journalists and editors pay no attention to whats being published because they dont give a shit and just rubber stamp everything. Throw in the fact that the bosses probably never even meet the freelancers in person and you have the perfect scam for a group of hack grifters

it's a false equivocation.
You can't deflect any criticism by pointing to something a 10th as bad in the past and claim it's the same.

Pathetic

>it's a false equivocation.
No it's not, it's the truth of the genre. You're dealing with ills of society so no shit superhero comics are political.
>accusing me of deflecting.
You're the one who is ignoring the truth. Politics are not the problem but the wroting but because you lack the understanding to explain what's bad about the writing in america.

>D*sneyfag thinks he's above it all

lmao keep sucking down the koolaid Mr. Drivel

>You can't deflect any criticism by pointing to something a 10th as bad in the past and claim it's the same.

I can when any political message that's even mildly liberal, whether it's an entire comic parroting it or one line in one panel in one page of an otherwise innocuous book is now treated with the same level of frothing vitriol.

It's crying wolf as a form of political discourse. If you screech the same volume about everything people stop thinking you're somehow reasonable.

>inb4 that's on the artists for being so political

This is one of the most politically tumultuous points of recent American history. Asking people to not be political at a point where every angle of sociopolitical pressure is bubbling over on every side of the discourse and eating the world alive is like whining about people writing political stories during the Vietnam War.

The more prominent this stuff becomes in real life, the more it gets reflected in art.

>Treating it like the first black superhero movie when Blade, Catwoman, Meteorman, Steel, Hancock and probably more I cant remember
They may not be the best but they existed and deserve some recognition goddamn it

>Captain America
>political

Guess this justifies drivel like Secret Empire.

Spawn

So basically you're saying Spencer is right to turn Captain America into a Hydra Agent and America Chavez should be celebrated for being politically provoking.

Gotcha.

>if you admit that superhero comics are political that means you liked secret empire.
Now you're just being willfully ignorant.

>Captain america
>not political
Really user?

Simpler times...

Well that's just it, isn't it?

You're basically saying that comics shouldn't pull its punches with its politics, and what did that give us? Also, when only ONE type of political message is allowed to be published, it's not exactly being fair when you say "comics should be political".

You really think there’s any chance on this fucking planet that The Onion would’ve been pro Trump?