Powers Thread

Its a staple for comics. The good, the bad, the underrated, and the overrated, lets talk about powers. Hard mode; come up with an ability writers haven't considered using yet.

Here's a good starting question; I can't decide if cloning/duplication is the best or worst power to have.

Other urls found in this thread:

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Angle_Manipulation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's good if the duplicates are subordinate to the original and can be reabsorbed. But if all you can do is make a bunch of lazy jackasses who want a clone to do the work and won't go away, it's not great.

One no one's used?
How about the ability to give anyone you touch a severe peanut allergy?

There's a lot of factors to consider when it comes to cloners.
>Are the clones loyal?
>Are you dependent on the "original", or are you like a hivemind that endures so long as one of you remains?
>Are you limited by the number of clones you can make?
>Do you suffer from an identity crisis?
Also its a bit weird how Multiplex went from a Firestorm villain to a Flash villain

Maybe Firestorm can get Dr Alchemy as a villain

That....actually sort of works

I like insect control powers

is there a story about a superman-like hero who thought he was helping by having a bunch of clones of himself be heros in other places

but then finds the more duplicates he makes the weaker they all become. so he sets out to kill his copies to get his strength back

but is he even the original or just another copy? how many of the others have the same idea,? is it right to murder a clone when it may mean you can be a superhero again?

Boy do I have the story for you

This reminds me, size changers are GOAT.

What story?

Worm.

Original power would be called "Maiden in Distress". It is a passive ability that is constantly active. What it entitles is that people will attempt to save you whenever you are in danger. But it would also mean that bad guys will attempt to harm you. Its a double-edged sword.

What is the best ancillary power to go along with shrinking?
Strength, whether the strength of twenty men of Doll Man or the retain full-size strength of Ant-Man.

Flight, wings like Wasp/Bluejay or the general move around in the air.

Animal control, don't have to worry about pesky spiders or hungry rats, fly around on an animal friend.

Mass shifting, the Atom special, jump from light as a feather to heavy as an anvil.

I think a better name would be "Target" or "Beacon", perhaps even "Scapegoat". Only because of your implication of enemies wanting to do harm
I think the first and last one go hand in hand

>come up with an ability writers haven't considered using yet
Is conjuring golems out of the material around a thing? For example some villain touching a concrete pillar and it morphs into a fucking snake or something

Pretty much all of Firestorm's villains have been absorbed into other heroes' Rogue's Galleries or just simply serving as filler members for the various villain Legions and Guilds.

Could it be manipulated? The Maiden sees someone getting their ass kicked and sets the bulls-eye on themselves to give the victim a chance to escape? Sounds useful

He still has the Weasel. He'll always have the Weasel

Using perspective to distort the natural laws, Angle man style. Chances are he'll never be used again.

And Killer Frost, his most recognizable villain became a hero of sorts.

>I can't decide if cloning/duplication is the best or worst power to have.
It's a fucking amazing power depending on its limitations and how creative the user is, though that goes for a lot of powers. There are a lot of factors that could seriously limit or enhance a power like that. Consider guys like Madrox, who can not only create clones who are able to live their own lives separate from him, but can also re-absorb them and gain all the knowledge and experience the clone gained since it was created, for example. Something like that has almost infinite applications both in superheroing and in regular life.

But depending on who they're up against it could very well be useless no matter how few limitations you have. I mean, imagine going up against a Superman-level enemy. Even if you could clone yourself a million times he's still just going to plow through all of them without breaking a sweat.

I don't know, user. Silver Swan came back, and Angle Man does have a viable ability. Probably works best as just a thief. I'm more interested in seeing Blue Snowman come back

If harm is done directly to the owner of "Maiden in Distress", than someone will attempt to save the owner.

Target implies you are someone that is meant to be killed off. Beacon means that you are the destination where people are meant to be. Scapegoat means that you are to be blamed for something that you didn't do. None of them represent the positive and negatives of the ability mentioned. They might represent 1 aspect but not the other. While Maiden in Distress is a legit word for someone that got into trouble and need rescuing.

Wow, sounds really interesting. What could it possibly be about?

I like this. Give it to an old-school masked detective type in the style of Woman in Red or Blonde Phantom, maybe a more modern style action girl. It would play out a bit like luck powers, someone or something will come to help her out but she doesn't know what or how. unless one goes really grim it would skew to more light-hearted adventure.

Desiree "Diz" Tress, Mistress of Distress or something. Probably needs a better pun.

Silencer, that new DC title that just came out (sorry if this sounds like a shill buts the only way I can describe her), has an interesting ability. She creates a bubble that negates all sound within it. She killed a guy in a grocery store parking lot, and no one heard the battle

>come up with an ability writers haven't considered using yet
Punching someone so hard that the subject of the attack is unharmed, but their spouse or immediate family member is brutally injured.

Character name: Wifebeater

So, you have to wait for someone to be eating peanuts before your power is useful or do you just touch them and hope they eventually do?

Guy who is immortal, but every time he dies he gets put into the body of a newborn. Retains knowledge and skills, but ages like normal. Personality gradually shifts because of being raised by different people.

It’s a random newborn as well. Some chick giving birth in a hospital could pop him out. Sex and race aren’t dependent on anything, can be reborn as a almost anyone.

Not sure about unique, but I'd like someone to really use hammerspace to a full extent. But a unique spin on it.

So Void. They are just a inky black silhouette which absorbs anything that can fit within their frame. And can choose to bring it out, in the same state that it came in. Bullet fires in. Can fire it back just as hard as it entered out of any part of their frame. But it isn't just objects. Sound. Light. Which they use to communicate. But most of the time they don't.

But very powerful, and extremely hard to deal with as they isn't really a way to fight them. Put a fist through the frame and it just goes through. Other stuff just get thrown right back.

As the dashing detective Gentleman Peanut, with your trusty partner Blimpo the flying circus elephant, and armed with your dapper nut-filled nutility coat, you bring anaphylactic justice to the streets.

A shapeshifter who can only turn into people casting a reflection near him. The shapeshifter has no reflection of his own.

A fucking peanut man crashing into a drug den on an elephant shoving fistfuls of nuts in people's faces.

How useful would turning into a gorilla actually be?

It's like my african sclulpting stories

I think the only dumb power that I felt was original was from a Jojo's bizzare adventure fanfic, in where there was a Stand that could change the flavor of stuff that it touches. So it could make the air taste and feel like a California reaper or just make an orange taste like an apple to fuck with someone for a laugh.

Its name was Flavor Flav.

Girl with insect controlling powers REAL power is her ability to multitask. Its pretty good

You now get moderately better strength and a smaller penis

>So it could make the air taste and feel like a California reaper or just make an orange taste like an apple to fuck with someone for a laugh.
that's actually the best fucking thing ever what the fuck are you talking about?

I know it's not Sup Forums, but I really like this superpower.

Being able to summon the power of all your alternate reality selves is a neat one.

Though for myself, I think something like "sleight of hand sub-space" would be neat. You can store any object you can hold in your hand into a dimensional pocket, as long as no one else can see the act of it, taking place. It's a strong, but limited power that opens itself up to a lot of writing options, and would almost certainly get broken to shit by the very next guy who tries to write for the character.

it's pretty good

How about something simple like idk. Sensory information manipulation? Pretty obvious but you can screw around with someone's perception and make yourself a sensory black hole or something.

Underrated power.

Because of his powers Madrox has the worst fates in dystopic future realities - In Age of Apocalypse, he was brainwashed and used as Apocalypse personal billion men strong cult-army, in Ultimates he was used by Magneto as a mass suicide army and of course nothing beats Earth X, in which he was infected with the Wendigo curse after eating himself.

Playing around with that idea is pretty entertaining. Say he's reborn in the same time. So he's born again at the same time he was originally born. Each new rebirth exists with the previous ones. If we're working in a time frame before the internet, it's possible he has no idea - he's reborn all over the world, and two of himself never meet up.

Then maybe this changes when one of his incarnations becomes President or something. Gets shot while in office, gets reborn. And a couple of decades later, the new version of him sees himself running for president. Realizes every single version of him to exist is around right now. Realizes he could possibly prevent his own assassination

Wouldn't work as a superhero comic but would be an interesting concept to work with

Bumping Power

Bumping Power

Madrox pls

Well, in twenty years he can address the original threat. I guess the enemy will wait two decades to finish the job, Nicely done.

I have an idea for a power. It's the power to make portals. But the portals can only be made if there's a force pushing on a surface. The force must come from the user. It doesn't matter if the user use an object like a ball and throw it to something or just jump. If he wants to open a portal with that action, a portal will open up. The upgraded or power up version of this power is that he can duplicate anything through his portals. Like if he threw a grenade and he opens up two portal for the grenade to come out, they would be two grenades. Twice the fire power. And the last upgrade would be that he can make anything a surface. Even the air around him.

I've always thought a power where the more danger you're in the more your senses, reflexes and strength increases but only for the duration of the presence of the danger.

How about cleverly disguising time manipulating powers as swordsmanship? Would explain all those perfect cuts you did half a mile away. As well as deflecting bullets with your sword with ease.

>Powers

How do Fraction powers work?

It's always nice to see someone introduced to Worm. Such an underrated story- best capeshit i've ever read, including regular comic books.

I imagine this guy being named Bait, working with a partner called Switch that could teleport two people into eachothers positions (Bait and Switch), meaning they would go after Bait, and then Switch would pop in front of them, probably throwing down a smokebomb and going guns blazing.

Literally Golem from Worm.

I liekd Supergods approach with its pseudonearscientific explanations for the powers.

I'm not creative enough to come up with whole cloth new powers, next best thing is using them in weird ways and adding arbitrary limitations.

Like when I was a kid I thought up a telepath character who could only implant memories, he couldn't take anyone's memories or mind control people outright, but he could put the memory of an event in someone's head. The trick then became strategically using that to be useful in situations.

That's why I liked Jojo and BnHA, that seems to be an important part of a lot of the powers they have.

I always like the idea of hiding your powers as different powers too.

With a name like that literally how is he NOT the main antagonist of Firestorm?

The world is grimdark and everyone has PTSD. Main girl controls bugs.

That’s “MathForce” territory. It’s weird, and at best impossible to fully understand.

I know people use “another dimension!” As a catch all term for world traveling but when you actually do research about it- shit gets WAY fucking weird.

Does this count as a power?

That's what I was thinking too

Chinese super god had a stupidly underwhelming showing. Should have been way better based on the set up.

Again, that's basically a power from worm. Character: "Trickster"

That's not underrated. It's just awkward for a writer and artist to use more than a few times.

Also having flight would actually give you an edge over the person who has the actual power if you just get use to it. They are dependent on the area, you wouldn't be.

Genuinely can't tell what this person's powers is? Is he teleporting? stretching space? warping through art?

Sure, but you have to learn to fly first and even then a angle warper could just use his powers to throw things at you. Also never underestimate teleport powers.

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Angle_Manipulation
The user can create, shape and manipulate geometrical angles. They can warp angles changing it all between acute, obtuse, right, and more complex variants, such as Euclidean and non-Euclidean angles.
The character is Angle Man, a Wonder Woman villain. The power is basically a mix between gravity powers and teleportation.

>I can't decide if cloning/duplication is the best or worst power to have.
Depends on who has them.

Twist: he's a hero.

fuck off fartfag

soooo... cloak and the Spot?

What if they're single?

Single = Kryptonite

man, i really wish peter david explained what madroxs powers really were
there were so many hints over the course of his run

What do you mean, was he building up to something? What were the clues?

they would constantly mention how it was more than cellular duplication
then there was the arc where madrox died and was sent to alternate dimensions like havoc did before, but they mentioned he is not quite like havoc as havoc was only able to do so because he is the nexus of all alternate dimension havocs
at the start of the arc he wondered if it was his turn to be a duplicate now that he died and was summoned to an alternate world, and that if that was what he was doing all along, summoning alternate universe versions of himself (although this is probably false as his 616-universe duplicates all represented an emotion he was feeling while they were summoned, although he thought it was random it can be seen almost every time a dupe expresses anything)(also he was probably wrong in assuming he was being summoned as a dupe because he would always appear next to what was presumed to be the dead madrox prime of each universe he visited.
in each universe his powers differed, he could still duplicate but in one universe each duplicate had their own power and expressed surprise at how he did not know that
in the universe where he was doctor stranges assistant his powers also looked kinda mystical when he duplicated but this could have also been an artistic choice

I've always liked the idea of someone who has an infinite number of clones within a small area around them who can reappear/disappear at will. I guess the character would turn up as a dense crowd of people every time

Spinning is an underrated and very powerful power. Especially when put on TOP of his other powers (possession, heightened intellect, vertigo, minor shapeshifting, durability...)

Don't forget the OML future.

>Hard mode; come up with an ability writers haven't considered using yet.

"RetCon"
The ability to "retcon" anything.
The drawback is if the retcons overlap and your life gets more complicated more overly convoluted retcons.

Top makes no sense, but you got to love how much of a dick he is. Topsy Turvy powers certainly can be OP

Huh, well I know someone who knows Peter David, so I'll ask him if I ever get the chance again.

Bump

I love Water Manipulation, but I've never seen it used to the extent I imagine. Able to control it in all it's form (ice, steam), to switch states almost instaneously, giving the user control over it's temperature...

Last Airbender comes close but it lacks the finesse and speed (as well as some unrelated things like healing). I imagine something like a mix of that and a Green Lantern's ring.

the ability to make anything carbonated. Your water is flat and boring? bam! carbonated. you want to break through a steel safe door? bam! inject enough carbonation into it to crack it with the pressure. and most importantly, create co2 bubbles in peoples bloodstreams, poisoning them.

I don't know why but everytime I think of Top powers Steel Ball Race comes to my mind.

then please post
it was so disappointing when his run ended with this unanswered

A few episodes of FMA:B do a fantastic job of showing this

Super Apathy
>User gets stronger and stronger the less fucks he gives

I don't want to get your hopes up. Probably won't happen for a while. I only had dinner with him once because of it and I felt weird that I couldn't think of anything to ask him.

Gravity manipulation is so underused. Even in My Hero Academia the gravity girl rarely fucking uses them in interesting ways. I'd love to see it in a cartoon, you just can't appreciate it in comic form

Heh.

very nice