Why do writers prefer to use Gotham over Metropolis, when it come to cyberpunk settings...

Why do writers prefer to use Gotham over Metropolis, when it come to cyberpunk settings? Metropolis is a huge mega city after all and most of it is run by Lexcorp.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RzOYnfmXaQk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When you think of cyberpunk, you don't think of an idealised version of the future with everything running smoothly and hope in the air. Cyberpunk is usually depicted as a shithole and what better place to exemplify shit than Gotham?

We really need a new action cartoon with a cyberpunk setting. Was batman beyond good? I was never allowed to watch it as a kid

>gotham
>cyberpunk
What? When has that ever been the case outside of Batman beyond. Most Gotham depictions have gothic architecture.

A lot of Metropolis' look is defined by the bright, open sky. Havine collosall towers blocking that out would take away from that. However since Gotham is permanently shown at night it works far better there.

>Was batman beyond good?
The intro would probably sell you on the entire show.

Anyone got any more pics of huge futuristic cities with towering buildings like this?

You mean to tell me that Metropolis doesn't have any biker gangs that fight one another on the highways?

>Gotham
>gothic
Whoa....

What about Tron Uprising?

Metropolis is ArtDeco
Gothan fits better Noir/Terror and Cyberpunk

I wouldn't mind seeing Metropolis depicted as a dieselpunk setting.

Because Batman. Comic books as a medium basically revolves around Batman, thus every fictional city that isn't not-New York is Gotham.

Simple.
Gotham is a shithole and Batman can't possibly clean it up alone.

But Metropolis?
Superman's very existence reduces smaller scale crimes a fuck ton and the few morons still dumb enough to try get guilt tripped into rethinking their lives by the man of steel, and Superman is usually right on the scene for any larger scale threats.

Unless you're part of the Super family, there isn't a whole lot of shit you can take care of. 99 out of 100 crimes a Kryptonian is going to beat you to it. And the remaining scraps? You'll constantly be watched by Superman's scrutinizing gave to make sure you're doing things his way while you operate in his city...Even if he's nice about it, it's still more stress than the average cape needs.

it's really cool

Have Superman fall into a long coma, then have Lex and his enforcers take over, then BOOM! A cyberpunk tale in Metropolis.

You mean Batman Beyond? Outside from that, I don't remember any cool cyberpunk out of Gotham.

Metropolis is a well of potential when it comes to general futuristic design.

Mostly because the villains (Parasite, Livewire, Toyman, Braniac, Titano, Bizzaro, Mongul, etc) are all colorful sci-fi monsters that blend well with a futuristic city like Metropolis.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Batman Beyond's intro? I love the show, but the intro does nothing for me. Part of it could be my massive boner for Elfman's Batman theme and the Mask of the Phantasm theme that somehow manage to flawlessly combine heroic and gothic into an orgasmic sound. Obviously a classical orchestra wouldn't work, but I feel like it sounds more like a simple techno club song than something that says "Batman of the future".

Fuck off, Cooke's intro is a masterpiece. The music ain't bad either.

This is a great idea.
What kind of villians would work as Dieselpunk characters?

Gotham is not Cyberpunk.
Gotham is a city so shit that it's stuck in this Noir type past.
People are still driving around in old 50s cars, the mobsters are like your quintessential mobsters, and so on.
Even when high tech themes are used in Gotham stories they have this anachronistic feel.
It works because Batman is suppose to be using tech that the bad guys couldn't fathom or the bad guys are a contrast to his stuff being homemade mad scientist creations.
Metropolis on the other hand is a modern city depending on whose writing it.
The people in Metropolis wouldn't find high technology frightening or strange.

What the fuck is this with parents who won't let children watch children's cartoons?

I saw another post by an anonymous saying they weren't allowed to watch Cartoon Network as a kid. Not even a particular cartoon, but an entire network.

What's it like to grow up in Mormon families?

>Why do writers prefer to use Gotham over Metropolis, when it come to cyberpunk settings?

Can you give examples? How many cyberpunk Gothams have their ever been? Outside of Batman media where the only logical city choice would be Gotham? Are you asking why they didn't set Batman Beyond on Metropolis?

Pic related is how you'd do Metropolis as a dystopia. Bright, rich, futuristic, and utopian for one part of society, and an utter nightmare for the rest.

There was that one Superman game where Metropolis was a futuristic city. Not exactly cyberpunk but eh.
youtu.be/RzOYnfmXaQk

Hub City.

Gotham is far more developed as a setting than Metropolis is and far more interesting too.

That exists, it's called Superman: Metropolis.
Not very good imo

That was based on the Y2K comics where Metropolis became a real "city of tomorrow" after the living B13 virus infected it. Shame it didn't stick.

I would also enjoy this.

Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to.

Not Mormon, just fundie American Protestant families.

My parents wouldn't allow me to watch:
Beetlejuice
Beast Wars
Pokemon
Digimon
Power Rangers for the first year or so it was on the air, but they eventually changed their mind for whatever reason. I still remember them being upset about the movie tho, because of the animal spirits scene.
Harry Potter
And tons of other stuff I can't remember. Basically violence was fine - I grew up with everything from Indiana Jones to Batman '89 to Robocop -
but anything with sorcery, non-Christian belief systems, or scantily clad women was banned.

They also blocked both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network when we finally got cable, because otherwise "we'd be watching it all day". Well guess what mom, all that happened is we watched it all day anyway, the younger kids watched Disney Channel, and my older sister watched shitty fucking TRL while I stewed knowing the golden age of Toonami was passing me by.

And that's why I'm still on a cartoon board at 30.