Ethan Van Sciver Deletes Twitter - Might Be Finished at DC Comics

bleedingcool.com/2018/02/02/ethan-van-sciver-dc-comics/

>I have been made aware that senior DC creators have been vocal within the publisher, some going as far as refusing to work in any project Van Sciver was affiliated with, in a similar manner as some refused to work under editor Eddie Berganza. Berganza was a champion of Van Sciver’s work before he was fired following several allegations of sexual harassment. I understand that a number of letters by senior DC creators have been sent up the chain, objecting to Van Sciver’s behavior online.

>I am told by a number of DC sources not to expect to see Ethan Van Sciver’s name on any other upcoming DC projects after his current run on Hal Jordan & Green Lantern Corps.

>As of yesterday, he has deleted his Twitter account with the apparent intent to move his comics commentary and work to YouTube.

EVS is FINISHED!!

I wasnt a fan of his art but this sucks.
He wasnt that bad of a guy all things considered even when he got dragged in outrage bullshit.
If anything it gives him a bigger reason to participate in said outrage shit that's been a cancer to comic discussion.
He didn't even sperg out like Malin either, he was relatively calm and didn't get mad at coworkers or anything
He's gonna be a martyr to his fans and comicgate now

What the fuck happened? I remember this guy (and Ivan Reis) from the Johns GL run. I liked his style.

I knew this would fucking happen. He was doing well and not stirring the pot. But the moment he got involved with YouTube SJW rants, he just couldn't help it. He kept saying THIS IS JUST ABOUT COMICS AND FUN! Then he'd release 2 videos about SJW's and keep saying, "I'm not trying to get political guys"

Fuck sake man. You possibly ruined your career because you just had to keep on jabbing. You were supposed to be better than that.

Good riddance

>He didn't even sperg out like Malin either, he was relatively calm and didn't get mad at coworkers or anything

The article says there was a lot of shit going on behind the scenes with other creators and high ups. People didn't wanna work with him. He was also apparently warned about this.

Hopefully Johns is fired for something next

>People didn't wanna work with him.

That's their problem then. Why is it so hard for editorial to just say "fuck you, you'll work with him whether you like it or not." That's how it works in LITERALLY ANY OTHER INDUSTRY. Why do comic companies consistently drop the ball when it comes to reminding people who the boss is when it counts?

Man, I don't think even Geoff will be able to save him.
Johns is left wing as fuck and based on recent vids by EVS, he makes it clear that they're only work friends and that's it. He didn't even invite Johns to his wedding.

Man... this is crazy

>DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson was made aware of the situation, and responded to it in private email, which we are running for the first time here. Replying to concerns that a fan expressed to her, Nelson stated that Van Sciver’s comments were offensive, did not meet their standards for their creators, and that his actions did not speak for DC Comics.

>Thank you for taking the time to write. I couldn’t agree more that the comments Ethan van Sciver made on Facebook were offensive. His actions do not meet the high standards we strive for from our creative community. They are inconsistent with the values of Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, as well as those of the pantheon of the DC superhero characters.

>Ethan is just one of hundreds of members of DC’s freelance creative community, and I assure you his actions do not speak for the rest of us. That said, I completely understand if fans choose not to purchase Ethan’s work.

>Thanks again for taking the time to craft such a thoughtful email. It’s appreciated.

>Best,

>Diane
>President, DC Entertainment

He is just as bad as those SJW comic creators. Fuck this industry.

>quits social media after people got mad of him for encouraging someone "to kill themself" (he literally just posted a Hillary voter Wojak hanging himself, seriously that's it)
>Go back to Social Media to show art, talk to talent, etc
>Get drag in outrage shit after SJWs got pissed at him
>This happens
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed

>Ethan Van Sciver Deletes Twitter - Might Be Finished at DC Comics

Good.

#MakeBarryDeadAgain

>Why is it so hard for editorial to just say "fuck you, you'll work with him whether you like it or not."
It's the editorial that doesn't like him.

Did he invite ANY coworkers to his wedding?

That's not how it works. Are you stupid? If you're difficult to work with, you don't get work. Eventually your talent means jack shit if no one wants to play ball with you. It's a business, they want their creative teams to actually get along and make a selling product.

In your world, John Byrne would still be working for the big 2.

It's always said, to work in comics you need to be able to meet deadlines and work well with others. That's literally all that matters.

>Vox once offered him a job for Alt-Hero (right after insulting him)
>Chuck says the pay is good
EVS made it clear that he isn't fond of Vox and his mentality, but would he work for him if he really is kicked out of DC?

>That's how it works in LITERALLY ANY OTHER INDUSTRY
Tell that to John K.

He wouldn't say who. He said it was mostly friends and a few industry people. But him and Geoff, they don't hang out and pal around. Everyone seemed to think they did.

What were the comments in question? What has he said that's so horribly offensive?

Johns doesn't use Twitter on regular basis. His autism about cereal and sweets isn't enough to get him fired.

Guess he has no choice but to accept the offer now. His shit art style fits perfectly fine for that garbagedump of a comic.

He told a dude to kill himself and other inflammatory shit. This was during the election. He went into full asshole troll mode on all 3 of his facebook accounts.

Normally this shit isn't a big deal, but you need to be fucking professional.

Invader Zim's director (not creator) is such a pain in the ass that he hasn't received work in years
Tite Kubo was very uncollaborative with his editor and Bleach got cancelled
Inigo Montoya's actor can't find work because other actors can't stand him IIRC

On one of his videos he said he would love to work with Bendis one day... guess that's not gonna happen.

Hey come on man, not even he should resort to Alt-Hero
He best moves on to Image or Dark Horse or something
Maybe bring back CyberFrog
Fuck me, he'd just make it a Pepe comic until Furie sues

>If you're difficult to work with, you don't get work.

Where are the people saying that EVS is difficult to work with? Someone saying opinions you disagree with doesn't make them difficult to work with for any reasonable person. If they're being consistently opinionated in the office and picking fights then yes, they'd be "difficult to work with". But EVS hasn't seem to have done that. You're comparing EVS, who for all intents and purposes just has expressed normie conservative viewpoints to John Byrne, an obnoxious and aggressive prima donna.

In any other workplace if you said, "Oh I don't want to work with that guy, because he believes in [insert ideology here], 9 times out of 10 you would be the problem. Management would explain to you that you don't get paid to talk politics, you get paid to do your job and that would be the end of that.

>Man... this is crazy
this is DC
their creators are on a short leash and have been for decades
throw tantrums on social media and you're finished
waid will go fucking radio silent about politics if he ever returns to DC

I remember him being rather good from the Morrison x-men run

And how long did this last? I mean, if the most recent incident was over a year ago that doesn't seem much to go by.

Considering EVS had his friends harass people on social media for years, he wasn't kept on a short leash. They either didn't know (unlikely considering creators like Mark Brooks noted EVS telling a fan to kill himself wasn't unusual for him) or just hoped nobody would say anything in public about it.

Not anymore. Pic related.

This has me worried for Hal and Pals. I've heard he was essentially shadow editing Venditti, preventing his retardation from seeing the page.

From my interpretation of what's going on with this is more "I don't want to be associated with him because I don't agree with his viewpoints that he's stated online" than "While we are working together he refuses to stop talking about white nationalism or pulling out his dick". And to me that's petty as fuck. It's like Rucka and Cho. Cho turns in his work on time and well done then Rucka would nitpick it because Cho does Cheesecake and makes fun of anyone that doesn't like it on his own time.

Also Berganza.

Pretty typical behavior from those around abusers, ignore it and continue to work with/hang out with them until others make a big fuss and then drop them so your rep is saved.

>Where are the people saying that EVS is difficult to work with?

The article. Creators and others were refusing to be associated with anything he was working on.

EVS said he was leaving the book awhile back. Like 3 months ago. He said he had a new DC book lined up. That's likely off the table.

That's kind of my point though, people who do nothing but bitch and moan and refuse to collaborate with others and work together tend to find themselves out of a job quickly. Throwing a huge tantrum because of another creator's personal politics to me feels like the exact opposite of being a team player. It feels more like you being a toxic shithead.

Ah. Well.

As long as it wasn't a secret GLC spin off, than while this kind of sucks, it doesn't seem to effect my reading habits.

The dude could be a nut, but at least he was nutty in a different way from the normal frothing leftwing people in comics. Plus he's an artist, not a writer, so his opinions don't really show up on page.

Holy shit what don't you understand? It's not just his political views. It was stated in the article that behind the scenes regarding the actual Job EVS was garbage with work with.

Because of his personal behavior or because of the public antics everyone has been autistically screeching about for the past few weeks? That's what I want some clarification on, because to me the general impression is that people are refusing to work with EVS because he's a republican or whatever. Is what's being presented in this article somehow a new development, something that we haven't seen endless fucking discourse over for ages already? Or is it the same shit?

He said it wasn't GL related. There were hints, at least for me, that he might have been doing something Aquaman related.

>TFW remembering when Simone and EVS had some pretty friendly chatter on twitter
>She even defended him after the election
This sucks
How long do we go on like this?
No more SJWs, comicgate Youtubers, nonreader outragefags, Alt Hero bullshit, HydraCap overreaction, etc

I'd have liked to see it. I like his art on the whole. It's not a style I tend to love, but he works with the script well.

Oh well.

>implying I'm going to give BC clicks

If you had posted an archived version or a pastebin I probably would have read it.

Outragefags in general are cancer
Especially Nonreaders
This isn't making the industry better
This isn't solving anything

>idiots who have never worked in a real business get upset that making an ass of yourself in public turns out to have negative consequences because businesses care more about making money than fair expression of political views in the private sector

they don't seem to care about those making an ass of themselves if it's for their viewpoint

Good riddance, he's awful

Not that people outraged about this even know who the fuck he is

>deleted his twitter

LOL

To my knowledge EVS has never publicly expressed anything that would be unacceptable for any other person to publicly express. All I've ever seen is normal republican/conservative stuff. People keep hyping up this outrage like he's some sort of super-Sup Forumsack but I have yet to see any sort of evidence that he posts anything less acceptable than what you'd see on Fox News.

>you expect people to cater to your special needs
Not him but Rich can go die in a fucking fire and I resent being told to give him clicks.

He only interviewed Vox like how he normally does with people like Waid and Slott
He actually doesn't like the guy at all and thinks he's a douche

Who else reported on it? You might hate a guy but if he did the work, he should get the click.

He was probably forced to by DC but they're going to kick his ass out anyway. KEK

He told a depressed fan to kill himself.

>Telling someone to kill themselves is a normal thing to publicly express

>unironically linking to BleedingClickbait
>using "GTFO" and "snowflake" unironically

holy shit I can smell how much of a newfag you are

You're a fucking idiot.

Didnt he just post a Wojak?

You know, I always see people making these accusations but no one substantiating them. When did EVS ever say something like this?

see
People might be desensitized by Marvel creator mantrums on social media but it is legitimately unprofessional for comic creators to tell people to go kill themselves on twitter/facebook/instagram/etc. and yes, most employers will see you as representing the company as long as they're paying you whether we like this or not.

Having an opinion about the election is one thing, trolling people directly is asking to be disciplined or let go.

>Did the work

Yeah, okay, peddling in gossip and rumors most of the time is such hard work, totally, that super-entitles him to a click.

Seriously?

There only seems to be one recorded instance of this, and it was in 2016. Were there more incidents that I missed or something? Was this part of a pattern?

Terrible artists with bad ideas getting the boot is making things better

>if he did the work
This is Rich, who deals in gossip and shitposts rumor here frequently. He makes Harry Knowles look like Edward Murrow.

Don't use "Rich" and "work" in the same sentence again.

He harassed this one costume maker (who's honestly seems like a pretty unpleasant person himself) and sent hus fans after him years ago
I remember reading this on a previous thread that had a link to it
Richard C Meyer was in the screencaps

Oh, that was something different
My mistake then

oh wow
It's like he was trying to get his ass fired.

I thought comic book readers were supposed to be the 13 year olds

Practically speaking, associating yourself with someone who deliberately started a movement to game an awards show is nothing DC wants to be associated with, ever.

Been here since before chanology.

Got another source? No? Then give him his click, or don't. But if the man provides content, that's work.

>years ago

So again, more old business. Was he even working for DC then? Also, are there any more recent examples?

>if the man provides content
the word here is 'if'

Got a thread about it, don't we?

Comicgate already sees him as a victim
They'll ignore the "kill yourself" part and just say he was fired strictly foe voting for Trump

You've been here long enough to know about clickbait and how it works, and also long enough to know why Bleedingcool is fucking garbage, AND long enough to know how to view an article without giving the creator a click, and you STILL can't do all of that?

Rich figuratively digs through Sup Forums's trash the same way D&C does
Rich is probably in this thread

I'll just give him his click. Costs me nothing.

>Guy in this thread asks for proof of EVS being awful
>Is given a screenshot and examples

>THOSE AREN'T ENOUGH GAWD WHAT A WITCH HUNT!!!

How long until EVS makes a video crying about how mean Rich was to him?

kill yourself loser

It's not that big a deal. I just said the same and nobody cares. This is a witchhunt but one that hunts opposing viewpoints

>Is given a screenshot and examples
Where?

How long before we throw them both into a hole, pour gasoline all over them and toss in a firecracker

He broke the rules like how Alison Rapp from NoA did

See if a celebrity did that, you just know the bad PR that'd follow

Kill yourself loser.

What I'm asking is, why is EVS being punished just now for some e-drama that happened a while back? It doesn't make any sense to me. Generally in my experience if you haven't done anything recently you can just say you've changed since then and point to a lack of recent offenses to show it, and then get off with a slap on the wrist at worst. If DC is firing EVS, then my guess is that there's something else going on, either it being a bunch of stuff we haven't already seen (which is probably more likely) or some obscenely petty bullshit like what went down with Rucka and Cho.

It's not a big deal, but DC doesn't like their employees feeding the trolls.

The article literally fucking said shit was going on behind the scenes. How in the fuck is anyone here supposed to know what was going on behind the scenes? Are you being willfully dense?!

He probably had a good contract that made DC wait until its end or pay through the nose to get rid of him.

Wanna say that in public in front of your employer? If you had one, I mean.

fuck that guy. anyone who thinks him telling someone to kill themselves is nbd has spent too much time on 4ch

In the professional world, it is. Why do so many people on the internet not understand professional decorum? You spend too much time on Sup Forums.

>get into Twitter squabble
>act professional while your detractors sperg like children
>get fired

Good job now I hate liberals a teensy bit more

>his employer doesn't like to banter
SAD!

So Berganza shouldn't have been fired?

Now I fucking really hate SJWs.
This man has a point of view of his own and he has been shamed for it. Disgusting how the liberal left has become tyrants and attack views that differ from there’s.

EVS is a shitty artist
hate how he draws Kyle

>I just said the same and nobody cares

You're not a mainstream comic book artist who has to represent a publisher.