Thor Ragnarok Discussion

So I finally got around to watching this and must say that this was the worst MCU movie that I have watched. Not even trying to stir up anything but it was legitimately worse than the MCU movies I actually hated (Age of Ultron, Thor 2).

The story and premise in itself was alright but the execution was flat out repugnant and that concerns literally every aspect of the movie.
>Literally only two scenes in the entire movie without a single quip, joke, or funny undertone (both being with Heimdall)
>Jokes were children-tier
>Every character is reduced to making jokes literally all the time
>Thor has evolved from a fierce warrior in Thor 1 to a collossal retard
>Special effects were worse than in every other MCU movie, even than Phase 1
>Sets were colourful and fights had potential but were all ruined by the awful CGI
>Hela was pretty much a standard Disney villain
>Literally nothing is at risk because Asgard is present everywhere where Asgardians are

In all seriousness, how was Disney able to produce a movie that overall looked worse than the first part in the series which came out 10 years ago? I stopped watching MCU movies when Homecoming came out and after watching Homecoming and Guardians 2, I had to admit that both were decent (Homecoming was actually good) movies. I can't even call this movie a turd because even turds have some kind of merit to them.
Anyone calling this one of the better or even the best MCU movie to date can't consider themselves as true fans, can they? Ragnarok basically puts no effort whatsoever into providing a proper coherent story with some actual emotional value

>People hate Thor 1 and 2 for the earth setting, dull romance, boring drama and dull colour scheme
>Thor 3 corrects all those issues
>REEEEEE why aren't they in a murky city growling at each other. Why is there comedy in my comic book movie? Muh CGI that you only notice pausing the movie and carefully examine the shots instead of watching it in motion, you know like a movie.

>Why is there comedy in my comic book movie?
Comedy isn't a problem, but when there's nothing BUT comedy it can get a little tiresome

>Korg goes from a hardass warrior with a soft side to a fucking memelord kiwi-accented fucktard
I was so fucking pissed

>generalising
I get why people disliked the first two Thor movies but I love Thor 1, especially because of the great contrast between the Earth and Asgard scenes. Thor coping with Midgard was great and believable. The jokes were put to great use and the CGI was great in terms of the technology they had back then.
I hated Thor 2 because it catered to the Avengers 1 fans due to the overuse of quips. Maybe I was being too strong when saying I hated it but I really disliked it as the tonal changes did nothing for the movie. The plot and effects were fine if you ask me. The colours also suited the movie in terms of integrating the CGI in a better way which Ragnarok wasn't able to do

>Why is there comedy in my comic book movie?
comedy is fine as long as you use it wisely. when it takes up the entire movie and characters can't have proper conversations like human beings, it just takes you out of the entire experience. nobody talks like that and nobody talked like that in the first two movies. You can't just make a huge tonal change and suddenly change all the characters to fit a comedy. It doesn't feel natural at all

>Muh CGI that you only notice pausing the movie and carefully examine the shots instead of watching it in motion
I'm the first person to defend many movies due to the CGI being better in motion but here, it was very obvious in every single scene, especially in motion. I am not joking when I say that Jurassic Park and Thor 1 had far superior effects than this. Every setting looked really rushed from a CGI perspective

I didn't hate it but it's terribly obvious that they tried to copy whatever makes Guardians of the Galaxy successfull. The jokes felt forced and i think the plot of "generic bad guy wants to conquer the world" didn't mix well with the entire 2nd act which was "buddycop duo has wacky adventures on Planet Hulk"

The movie was great, had a ton of fun with my gf and the entire theater seemed to ve having a good time.

Apsrt from one lonely virgim on the last seat, it must have been you OP.

this. I disliked Guardians 1 due to the overuse of comedy (it was fine during a second watch) but there not being a single serious scene was flat out boring

he was pure comic relief in a movie that had an entire cast of comic relief characters. there was no point to his character in all honesty. also, what was with the "bro" comment? I always figured that beings from other worlds didn't literally talk like people from earth

Is your gf cute?

as much as I dislike Guardians, I have to say that the director came nowhere near copying what made Guardians successful. it was a blatant ripoff at best. you're totally right about the forced comedy thing.

>generic bad guy wants to conquer the world
I honestly thought people here saying that Hela was a great villain had some truth to it. in the end, she was..... well, nothing. she was not interesting at all, both as a character and especially not motivation wise

>tfw I never even go to the movies alone

Thor 1 was legitimately a very good Marvel movie, I don't get the hate on it.
They REALLY fucking overdone it with the jokes in Ragnarok. There were some scenes that could be legitimately good moments with much gravity, but they just had to ruin them by throwing a fucking joke in there. If they had just cut like at least 1/3 of jokes off it would have been good.

I liked Hela, her motivations made complete sense, she was right to feel betrayed by Odin.
>I'm gonna raise my daughter to be bloodthirsty and powerful
>nevermind I'll just hide you like all my past mistakes

>Thor 1 was legitimately a very good Marvel movie
>I don't get the hate on it
A lot of it comes from the awful romance.
Really all the shit on earth was awful.

Any time Hela showed up i could only see Cate Blanchett.
And i kept wondering if she felt silly speaking those hammy lines.Se's not the kind of actress i expect in such movies.

>Thor 1 was legitimately a very good Marvel movie, I don't get the hate on it
me neither, mate. Everything fit perfectly, the music, the CGI, the characters, and the storyline. I really think it was the Earth parts that made people long for more scenes on Asgard but objectively, I really can't find flaws. I especially liked the Asgardian characters talking like people from a drama which gave the Asgard scenes a sense of additional entertainment

>There were some scenes that could be legitimately good moments with much gravity, but they just had to ruin them by throwing a fucking joke in there
that's the thing. every scene was ruined by it. every scene but two, I even fucking counted because I noticed that after 20 minutes, there were only jokes. I mean, the theme of Ragnarok itself demands a serious movie but this was literally the opposite of it

It was bad, but I feel that Age of Ultron and thor 2 were worse

The romance part maybe, the film could have done without it, although I don't think it was outright bad. Rest of Earth was mostly all right though, shown the culture shock and moral development motifs pretty well.

What was the point of killing off the Warriors Three? Did their actors no longer want to reprise the roles anymore?
Where the fuck was Sif?
Why completely shit on the Valkyries? And why was their story so contradictory?
>Odin covered up Hela ever existing, and everything she did
>oh but all the Valkyries just spontaneously died for some reason lol who knows how that happened

like I said in my OP, the overall premise etc were fine but the execution was poor. Hela had a great motivation but the director didn't explore that at all. she gave exposition and that's it. she didn't show any emotions at all but fell flat as a character. Some emotional interaction between her and Thor would have been awesome but nothing

I actually liked the romance because it fit the Shakespearean vibe pretty nicely. Portman is just a bad actress but the plotline was solid

me too. I thought she would be much more in character but it's as if she just put on a costume and cashed in as quick as possible

Nice dubs and quads.
But really I cant say I feel the same, I felt no chemistry in that attempt at romance and the rest of earth just felt really boring

>What was the point of killing off the Warriors Three?
I guess they're not planning on doing any more standalone Thor movies anyway, so like what the hell might just kill them to show how BADDASS our new villain is

So I feel like the third Thor movie was originally going to be something completely different than what we got (more similar to the past 2 movies), anyone know anything about that?

>tfww Thor is my favorite superhero trilogy ever and I love every one of them

The only reason why I feel that Ragnarok is the worst MCU movie is because it doesn't treat the audience with a single shred of respect. This is not even a kids movie because every single mainline Disney movie has some character development and characters acting normally from time to time. When not even cartoons exaggerate on the whole joke thing, that's a problem

>What was the point of killing off the Warriors Three? Did their actors no longer want to reprise the roles anymore?
I left out that complaint on purpose because I can understand them killing of the Warrior Three just like that. It was nice to see "main" characters getting killed off just like regular folks but I thought it would have at least SOME kind of impact on Thor. Either I missed it or he didn't even mention them after it happened

>Why completely shit on the Valkyries?
explain. I don't know the comic version

>oh but all the Valkyries just spontaneously died for some reason lol who knows how that happened
didn't Hela kill all of them? I thought it was explained that all but the one died by Hela's hand. I was pretty confused at first when that one Valkyrie knew who Hela was because her existence had been covered up but I thought it made sense

>>There were some scenes that could be legitimately good moments with much gravity, but they just had to ruin them by throwing a fucking joke in there
>that's the thing. every scene was ruined by it. every scene but two, I even fucking counted because I noticed that after 20 minutes, there were only jokes. I mean, the theme of Ragnarok itself demands a serious movie but this was literally the opposite of it
Agreed, there were moments where I felt like something had the potential to be really cool but then a joke would subvert that so we don't get like, too invested I guess.
Like Surtur's two scenes, in the beginning and when destroying Asgard. Could have been grand and spectacular but here's Thor spinning around instead lol.
Despite my problems, I liked it.

It's funny because I think this is the best MCU movie I've watched so far bar Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier.
Just watch it for what it is, a comedy with some fun action scenes.

You truly live a chaotic life

>didn't Hela kill all of them?
That's my point. How did Odin cover that up? An entire elite fighting force just up and disappears, and no one remembers who did it?

It was fun, but it was so unlike the previous two movies that the sense of a coherent universe was broken.

I don't have any specific info but Age of Ultron had me hoping for a much more serious take on the matter, especially since that one Thor having a vision scene was perfect atmosphere wise. the entire movie should have been like that but corporate greed got us the generic quipfest they shat out

Right, like Thor talking about how much he looked up to the Valkyrie. You didn't wonder where they went?
It's one thing for a random Asgardian citizen to maybe think their disappearance was just lost to time, but for Odin's son, who was aiming to be King? Like he didn't know Asgard's history?

My suspicion mostly comes from the logos. Someone had pointed out the massively different logos from the first tease of Thor Ragnarok and the final product, definitely hinting at a change in story

Oh man here goes again.

Most people that conolain avout this movue seem to be yhe contrarians that unironicaly enjoyed the shitty first 2.

Its pretty much agreed that it is an improvement nigga. I got to see Hulk fight Fenrir in the rainbow bridge, while Thor slay a bunch of undead with lighting as fireworks explode in the sky (comingo from a crashed spaceship), to the sound of Immigrant Song. I'm damn happy to be able to see this on the screem.

Go jerk off to Thor 1 alone.

I remember from early on in development it was going to be darker but test audiences or whatever thought it was too dark, like for Age of Ultron.

both first movies were solid (the quips in 2 were disgusting) but the last one really insulted every single fan who cared about the Thor-world characters

>I felt like something had the potential to be really cool but then a joke would subvert that
exactly. every plot point and statement by a character was instantly disregarded by making a joke. not even Guardians did that shit so much

>Like Surtur's two scenes, in the beginning and when destroying Asgard. Could have been grand and spectacular but here's Thor spinning around instead lol.
him talking at the beginning had me hoping for a great character but when Thor started joking due to him spinning I instantly felt underwhelmed. Surtur at every point was disregarded in favour of showing either quipping or some other character. he wasn't even really a character unfortunately

thing is, I can't even watch it as a comedy because it really isn't a good one. a proper comedy (in my opinion) has build ups. this was just one "funny" line after another. a lot of modern comedies do that. this reminded me a lot of the new Ghostbusters. no build-up at all, just quips

it was millions of years ago though so even the Valkyrie thing was probably a myth at that point. I mean nowadays, even 300 years is enough time to forget a lot of undocumented shit

>but it was so unlike the previous two movies that the sense of a coherent universe was broken.
that was my original point. the characters from the previous movies acting the way they did made no sense at all. thor wasn't like that in Thor 1 and 2, not even in Avengers 1

>it was millions of years ago though
No it fucking wasn't. Asgardians don't typically live for millions of years, and yet Scrapper was there

>Asgardians don't typically live for millions of years, and yet Scrapper was there
Time moves weird on Sakaar

>him talking at the beginning had me hoping for a great character but when Thor started joking due to him spinning I instantly felt underwhelmed. Surtur at every point was disregarded in favour of showing either quipping or some other character. he wasn't even really a character unfortunately
THIS. I honestly can't think of any other movie with which I knew there is something terribly wrong with it from the very first scene, but Ragnarok did it.

Really? Because time seemed to move at the same rate for the duration of the fucking film. They didn't come back years later than they left

>Like he didn't know Asgard's history?
Odin barely told Thor and Loki a thing about Asgard's enemies, and it shown. He basically held the power as long as possible while thinking everything will be alright.

I think Odin just didn't tell him all about it. he knew about the Valkyries existing but not why they weren't present anymore. I can live with that but it was still an ass-pull. maybe they could have had an alternate story being told to people and Hela finally telling them how it really was

I'm not a contrarian. I just like to discuss the movies as objectively as possible

>Its pretty much agreed that it is an improvement nigga
that's what I don't get. I really don't see it as an improvement at all. there were some promising scenes but nothing was interesting while watching the movie itself. nothing was of significance

yeah, I remember that. Age of Ultron had too many tonal changes in my eyes but it was alright when it came to the overall atmosphere of the movie. People should stop expecting every movie to be the same, dammit. Why not have genre movies? Phase 1 did that quite well. Hell, they even added two comedy movies (Guardians and Ant-Man) in order to please people who need comedy

It's what Jeff Goldblum said, and before that Loki says he was there for what he felt were weeks.

Which just makes it another contradictory aspect of the film

I just like the hammer guy hitting stuff real hard and lightning is cool

>No it fucking wasn't. Asgardians don't typically live for millions of years
wait, then I missed an entire plot point. I thought someone mentioned that millions of years ago the Hela thing happened. anyone care to point out what was said exactly? I could swear a specific time was mentioned but maybe I'm just being retarded

this. Goldblum himself said that he would be old as fuck in the regular world. now that I think about it, how was Hela able to do anything? Thor was there for a couple of days, shouldn't that be like a second in the real world?

>Thor was there for a couple of days, shouldn't that be like a second in the real world?
I assumed that time working weirdly meant that there’s no proportion or anything, it’s just really weird

>Thor was there for a couple of days, shouldn't that be like a second in the real world?
He only said time works weird, we really know nothing from that or how it effects the real world.

that would be a very easy way of justifying it but I can accept that. not everything has to be perfectly explained

didn't he say he would be old as fuck too? that already coupled with Loki's statement shows that time passes by faster than everywhere else

It flows differently, not outright slower I think. You can never be sure how much time passed outside when you're on Sakkar I guess.
Narnia worked pretty similar from what I remember. In the first book they end up spending at least a decade in Narnia while only minutes pass in real world. However although a good few months pass between book 2 and 3(if not years, I don't remember how much it was, but a longer period of time for sure), they meet the very same character in Narnia in both, he only got older.

I'd love to read what the original script would have been like.

never read the narnia books but I remember reading some comment about the characters in Narnia being old as fuck, like hundreds of years old

wouldn't it have basically been similar to the current one but with far less jokes and way more drama? I feel like the movie could have used proper realistic human interactions where people actually feared for Asgard and its people. That alone would have made the movie better. It feels like Disney just amped up the colours, inserted some jokes and went with that

Depends on which. There are beings who apparently don't give a fuck about time at all, but normal humans age just like us, and the mentioned character was one.
When it comes to people from our world though, it gets fucky, because they can literally spend their whole lives in Narnia and grow old there, but after returning to our world they for some reason revert to the exact state they were in while leaving it, so for example a teenager.
Actually I have to find some time and reread those books, I still have them on my bookshelf, but last time I read them I was still a kid. I remember them having pretty Tolkien-esque feel to them, quite possibly even closest to Tolkien himself in terms of atmosphere I read.

Is easily the second most overrated MCU movie after civil war but wans't the worst, just mediocre.

homecoming was shit

At least it had a good villain unlike ragnarok

I haven't seen it yet but the only MCU movie I hate is Civil Shit

Piss off ghost!

>Shitting on based Hel
She was the only objectively good part of the movie, even is somewhat underdeveloped. Her and perhaps the Grandmaster.

I didn't think it was bad, but I will say when I left the theater, I felt like I had finished reading just an every day comic arc. Nothing amazing, nothing bad.

Korg is a faggot, do you know any hardass faggots?

I don't know, I generally hate the overly quippy shit MCU has become (I fucking hate Age of Ultron and the GotG movies, especially the second...god what a turd), but I genuinely enjoyed Ragnarok. I'd rank it 3rd on my list after The Winter Soldier and The First Avenger.

Unlike the other comedies in the MCU, I thought this one was actually funny, I laughed out loud the entire movie and had a blast. Don't know, I guess the director's type of humor is right up my alley? Watching GotG2 just made me angry, it was painful how unfunny it was. I can understand why OP didn't like it, since it was a full blown comedy you'd only enjoy it if you were 100% on board with that type of humor. I also didn't give a shit about the first two Thor movies, so there's that I guess. I have no resentment over them pretty much throwing away almost everything they established.

Very true, good point

Okay.

It was a good fun comic book movie that I enjoyed watching.

All this is negated by the fact that it was generally well received, so it looks like you're in the minority. They don't cater to minorities, unless you're black and make a big fuss.

i want to sniff hela's feet desu

Same for me. A hatred made from being disapointed. They were SO CLOSE TO SOMETHING GOOD.

They had a space gladiator setting, good action and visuals, and a villain that seemed kinda rememberable.

But for some reason someone saw this plot of a movie titled Ragnarok with the main villain the goddess of death, and they went "let's make it a comedy with every scene being killed for a laugh"

>Last seat
See that's how you know this post is fake.
The lonely virgin always gets there ahead of everyone else cause they want the best middle seat in the house (and cause they have nothing better to do).
Next time you try to troll, make it "one lonely virgin in the middle seat practically taking up two seats".

It was a fun diversion, but that's all it was. These movies have no stakes, no drama, no heart. They are empty nonsense, fun to watch once then immediately forget about and never watch again. I have nothing against fun, but nothing about the writing, filming, choreography, acting, etc makes me want to ever return to this one. You can have a fun movie that is made so well that it warrants repeat viewings. You can have fun without sacrificing drama. Thor Ragnarok is fun with nothing else behind it. Entertaining for two hours and then gone forever.

Here's a (you).

Nigga, obviously that the part with the lonely virgim was me poking fun at OP, not meant to be a real fact.

>liking Gladiators of the Galaxy
faggot

>Ragnarok basically puts no effort whatsoever into providing a proper coherent story with some actual emotional value

Dude, it's Thor. His movies have always been the weakest ones in the MCU. The whole reason this one ripped off Guardians' tone is because Thor 1 and 2 are so poorly regarded, and Marvel's starting to realize that they just can't sell Thor as a serious character of any kind.

It's what they did to the Planet Hulk storyline and the Warbound that I personally couldn't abide, but I think I'm in the minority on that.