If Coco was an only child...

If Coco was an only child, how did the ban on music still continue if she mentioned loving her father so much multiple times regardless of the fact he never came back?

TRADITION!

Well um... uh.... i guess you found a plothole user, im mexican and i can’t explain it, unless coco wasn’t a good mother and her daughter liked her grandma more, making her want to continue hating music

Or she continued the tradition out of respect for her mother and logically believing her father was a shitbag and his dreams of music ruined their family while deep down she could never actually stop loving her father despite wronging her because she's a human being.

She wouldn't really have kept all those photos and letters though would she?

Her "papa papa" stuff was her mind going back to childhood due to senility. It was also super brutal she's still an old crone when she moves on to the other side.

I wonder if she got her mind back after she died. She seemed to be acting like a child when we saw her in the afterlife

This. Mama Coco did not remember much of anything. She had a spurt of memory in the climax, but I don't think she knew who she was talking to.

Coco probably reverted back to a childlike demeanor when she was reunited with her father & mother together again. She barely got to be their daughter when she was little, so it's kind of a way to reexperience it. She'll always be remembered as being old because that is how she died.

Her mother was still around to instill the ban in Coco's children, even if Coco didn't believe in it too strongly (we can't tell her perspective, given her current state).

Notice how it was Miguel's grandma who forced it on him, not his direct parents.

Maybe her mother was alive long enough to drill the ban into her grandchildren.

This. She had enough willpower to, as a single mother, sustain herself and her child through self-employment, apparently without even a decent nest egg or skillset to start from. She presumably had enough strength of character to dominate the household well after becoming a grandmother.

Exactly. Coco probably never felt comfortable arguing about it with her mother and just let her run the household as she saw fit. Her child grew up in that environment and turned out that the same way as her grandmother.

They all stay the age they were when they died, it's why most of Miguel's relatives have grey hair except Hector, because he died a young man, or de la Cruz who was approaching middle age but still had dark hair and a robust frame. Coco is a shriveled little old woman in the afterlife , but she walks under her own power and appears to know exactly what's going on instead of fading between empty smiles and silent confusion

I suspect theres a "how do living people remember you" thing whe nyou are recently decied you are mostly remembered as you were right before you died, burt as direct memory fades its your most prominate pictures and stories that define your look,
Coco's mother looks roughly active middle aged but died a great grandmother, actuly she looks more like her displayed picture as a young mother.
by the time Miguel passes Coco may look more like a little girl if the picture of her with her parents becoumes her most well known one.

I grew up on a small town south of Guatemala Is not weird to see single mothers controling their childs even in adulthood. You see the 40 year old women being pull around by the old ladies like a real version of Agnes Skinner.
Wich is sad everybody in that family seens to be afraid of Coco´s mom so she probably was kind of an abusive mother.

This. Her mom was probably the head honcho of the family and pushed her hatred of music on everyone whole she lived. Even in the land of the dead, everyone was scared of her and didn't want to give Miguel their blessing after Coco's mom rejected to give her's to Miguel.

This can be explained with an over bearing matriarch and Coco being really young when Hector left. My thing is how did Hector never hear that line from De La Cruz's movie and connect the dots before? Like they worship him in the Land of the Dead but he never once heard that movie line or even notice that those were his songs.

And this kids is why collectivism is a mistake

Wrong

It’s the age they were in whatever photo of theirs was on the altar

Mama Imelda remained the Matriarch of the family and it was already too ingrained in tradition before Coco was old enough to stop caring about such things.

he thought his death was an accident and that De La Cruz just took advantage denying him credit and his family the royalties, so he probably was too pissed, and poor, to see much of any of Cruz's movies.

Imelda would look younger instead of having the grey streaks in her hair then.

You think about it, there were whole families, WITH CHILDREN, in that office type place Miguel and his relatives go.

Those fucking people got merced, son.

yeah this, look at her fucking alebrije it's a beast, that's basically mexican power level and she is the strongest of them all i bet she lived for a long time

Wait I have a serious question
How did Hector have his own picture?
I don't presume you bring whatever was on your persons to the afterlife with you