I want to get into Franco-Belgian comics. What does Sup Forums recommend?

I want to get into Franco-Belgian comics. What does Sup Forums recommend?
So far I only read Ekho and only liked the first two books. The rest of the books were trash please don't recommend shit like that.
Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/corobfzxgxo9d/Euro
frenchcomicsassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PASSAGERS-DU-VENT_Delcourt_web.pdf
imgur.com/a/56WeB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This one is pretty fun and can be fond on most manga sites.

The Incal
The Metabarons

Everything Moebius.

That's an Italian comic tho.

Alex Alice

Lastman

François Schuiten - Les Cités Obscures series.

Good fucking shit.

But Jordorowsky is Mexican.

Shangrila, one volume science fiction

Chilean, you nimrod.

The Worlds of Aldebaran is an Ok science fiction series, avoid the US censored version

Les Nombrils is fun.

Blast!
Valérian and Laureline
Blueberry

Lastman is great

Everything Kerascoet. Miss Touc Me Not is a good start.
Mathieu Lauffray's Prophet is quite good. It finished some 3 years ago, with the fourth volume. My cousin bought me the fourth's special edition for my birthday and damn, that was beautiful.
But don't read only modern things; check Asterix and Obelix, Tintin and stuff. They're old but gold.

There was a comic that was storytimed here late last year, can't remember the name, but the general premise is that a virus that is carried by animals has effectively wiped out humanity. And there's a military deserter who is traveling about looking for some stronghold that scientists were supposed to be going to in order to find the cure for the virus. Does this sound familiar?

Pic related is a fantasy series focusing on elves. It focuses on 5 subraces of elves, each getting a volume in turn. There are at least 20 so far in french, and they're slowly being translated to Dutch and English. There's an overarching plotline about a necromancer-spirit threatening the world, but every volume also contains a finished story, with some characters returning in other volumes. The art is very good when compared to the average American monthly comic.

There's also a parallel series focusing on dwarves (nains in french) which is slightly better imho. Another series has just begun about orcs in the same world.

This is a historical series about the Hunderd Years' War between England and France in the late middle ages (1337-1453). The art is great again (it usually is in Franco-Belgian comics and the storyline is historically accurate (t. history graduate). The first four volumes deal with the ongoing war, starting around in the early 1400s. Volumes 5 and 6 deal with the arrival of Joan of Arc and her victories over the English. Sadly, it seems to be a frozen series as the last volume came out in 2015.

La geste des chevaliers dragons is a sword-and-sorcery series about dragons and the order of virginal women tasked with slaying them. Dragons can't see them, and they are immune to the corrupting aura that induces madness and mutation in other humans. There's also some good worldbuilding with the nations and peoples of the world. The first 10 or so volumes aren't that good, but the quality is much better after that. The quality of the art varies from volume to volume.

For some reason this artstyle gives feelings of hate and rage.

Nope.

Anyone got issues of this downloaded? I think I only ever got 1 and 2.

I think I have them in a zippy, hold on

It's very Dillon-esque isn;t it?

Early Canardo.

Seconding Skydoll.
>Universal War One
>Orbital
>the Manara Library
>Dwarves

This is actually translated? I was thinking of picking up french just to read this

Oh Leo Roa too.
It's by the same artist that did Metabarons and it's a space comedy with lots of sexy women and lots of nudity. National Lampoons in space. Love it

I remember reading 'Elves' by the same publisher. There is also a serie called 'Dwarves' set in the same universe.

Wake is probably my personal favorite.

The writer and publisher are French

Don't read this shit. don't read anything Soleil in particular.

Go read Tintin, Astérix, Spirou & Fantasio, Gaston Lagaffe, Bluecoats...
Then Metal Hurlant stuff like Druillet, Moebius, Bilal (there was an equivalent in Heavy Metal for the us)
Fluide Glacial's people too : Gotlib, Fred, Alexis, Lelong, Goossens, then Larcenet, Blutch
De crécy
maybe Donjon, as Sfar and Trondheim gave work to a lot of relatively famed authors of the time

Les cité obscures, if you can find a trad, is the finest thing.

Kerascoet (&Vehlmann !) and Les Nombrils are Sup Forums recently made favorites.
I do agree that if you're looking to get into it, you should begin with the classics, they're very, very good.
a favorite of mine that is not too hard to find in english is Peplum from Blutch, pic related

>don't read anything Soleil in particular
Lies.

Skydoll and Universal War One are fantastic

see ? no problem stating such a rule, the exception are given by others quite quickly.
Soleil is not an editorial house you're proud to be published in

I read some of the Philémon albums as a kid and they were some of the most surreal comics I'd come across.

Cold Sun maybe?

Philemon is great! I read the first two stories last year. The author's got a wonderful imagination.

mediafire.com/folder/corobfzxgxo9d/Euro
sorry for the wait. Freaks Squeele, Zombillenium and a few Remington are in there too. Beware the Remington, afaik the translation was never finished.

Lucky Luke by Morris and Goscinny (writer of Asterix) is another classic. There are many great Westerns actually from Europe.

>Don't read this shit. don't read anything Soleil in particular.

Eh, it's not high art, but they are pretty good at delivering the kind of mediocre comics that are just good enough to make an enjoyable read and make you buy the next book as well.

>ctrl+f
>Nikopol
>0/0

you disappoint me

There is nothing wrong with being a publishing housed based on amazing art. The stories aren't always great but the art is always top tier.

eh I cited Bilal.

please provide proof of amazing art on which this publishing house is based.
I do like Mourier a bit.

This thread is full of it. Skydoll, elves, dwarves, orcs and goblin and many more. They publish great art

>barbucci
>not amazing
(You)/10 - work on your bait skills.

Frederik Peeters
-Aama series
-Pachyderme
-Sandcastle
-Blue Pills

I did confirm the other user who said that Skydoll was awesome.

>elves, dwarves, orcs and goblin and many more
please remove the crust shit that is covering your eyes. Not to mention that I was inquiring for amazing art that the publishing house was based on, as the other user said, even provided a possible answer.
great art can be pic related, certainly not and that's a fucking cover art.

There can be more than one good art forms

whats the one where a boy meets a forest fairy and gets superpowers, I'v read everything exept the last issue.

>-Blue Pills

Not enough people have read that one yet.

YEP. Rock on, user. Thanks for being my brain.

Seconding Freaks Squeele, sort of like if Animal House took place in the X-Men universe

POWA

>Vigilante
fuck off with your fanfic

I actually skipped that one when I read through his body of work because it seemed boring compared to the rest of his surrealist fantastical shit. It does seem critically acclaimed though so I included it in the rec list.

>I actually skipped that one when I read through his body of work because it seemed boring compared to the rest of his surrealist fantastical shit.

It won its accolade on grounds of being an excellent comic.

Will give it another shot then.

They finally got their shit together and started reprinting Les Cités Obscures books. They were so hard to find for a while.

The Hollow Grounds books.

Blacksad is alright if you want noir stuff.
The first 3 books are excellent, but the 4th one is rather rocky and the 5th is pseudo-road-trip trash.

Huh, you're right

Try with this.

>Latest volume of Ekho is literally BRAVE PRO-CHOICE WOMYN OF COLOUR VS. THE EVIL WHITE PATRIARCHIAL RAPIST

Thanks user, I appreciate it.

Volume 7 actually came out in 2017. It was embarrassing. I don't know what the hell happened to the author because the first two volumes were great and had so much potential. Even the art dipped since the third volume.
What a shame.

This one's supposed to be really good, it's on my wish list.

Maybe an album/two albums a year is too much work for him?

I'm still bummed out about never getting the movie.

I have fond memories of "The Waters Of DeadMoon" (Adamov et Cothias) but it's been so long since I read it I don't know if I've got nostalgia goggles.

The Quest For The Time Bird (2015) (Digital) (phillywilly-Empire)

I can understand that in regards to the art downgrade but that's no excuse for shitty writing.

Fuck, I totally forgot about that. I was so hyped.

>the 5th is pseudo-road-trip trash.

stop posting kid.

All François Bourgeons works :

_The Passagers of the Wind (XVIIIe Century, slavery, wind navy for the first ark (5 books) Second Ark takes place during American Civil War in Luisiana (2 books, the third one will be released during 2018)

frenchcomicsassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PASSAGERS-DU-VENT_Delcourt_web.pdf

_The Companions of the Dusk (Medieval period in France with some supersition and minstrel stories (3 books) cover here _The Cyan Saga (Science fiction saga, serious time travels, realistic anticipation)

I really recommand you this guys, he mades theses stories with a goldsmith precision for history elements, context, graphic.

An other saga is "Of cloak and fangs" from Alain Ayroles and Jean-Luc Masbou. This one takes place during 17e century in an alternative world where the logic of this period can be true. It's a swashbuckling saga writted with humor, fantasy, rhyme and poetry, and some reference to cinema pop culture and pen and paper RPG. I don't know of this saga is translated, it is quite hard to understand it for a no-motherlanguage person (old words and sentence construction like Molière theater) Pics in post

It's written and drawn two different people and art hasn't seen a dip.

You're the embarrassing one

Go back to Sup Forums kid.

>Sup Forums boogeyman

Reddit is that-a way, faggot.

Literally most of his stuff isn't translated.

Loisel drew the Peter Pan saga too, his version is darker than the disneyshit one. Poor peoples of London, murder and blood, a real Captain Hook

Too bad !

Sup Forumsshit belongs on Sup Forums why is this difficult

Last Laugh (Idées Noires) from Franquin, soft to understand if you can't find a transleted version.

Sample here : imgur.com/a/56WeB

But user just described the synopsis for the book. Get off the computer and read the actual comic before posting garbage.

Well, this looks nice

Oh, yeah I meant the art. That Arleston guy seems to write an album a week.

Awesome comic, I confirm

thanks

We stand always the fourth one

Haven't read it, but Cothias is usually pretty good.

Awesome..
I read that Fantagraphics is gonna publish Idées noires in English, in a few months. Maybe this is how Franquin will get more recognition outside of Europe. IMO he deserves to be as famous as Hergé, to me Franquin is a way more interesting artist.

Wish someone get their hands on Alex Alice's current about that steampunk 19th century imperial German space comic.

Ouash still haven't translated the last tome of Wake.

Universal War One and the sequel Universal War Two. When the fuck is tome 4 coming out?

YEs please